Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #21
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cigars On Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
Did an NCL cruise a few years back - If they do the Cigars Under the Stars any more....you'll have a BLAST!
I've done that years back and it was great, though I don't know if they still do it. I don't recall it on the last couple of cruises I was on.

The ship we're on has a beautiful cigar lounge, so I'll most likely be spending a fair amount of time there.

As far as smoking on balconies, it's a judgment call. If I know people are out and to the stern of me where they'll get the smoke, I don't light up. On this trip, we have an aft cabin with only a couple of cabins further back than us, so I'm not anticipating much problem. I try to be considerate, and haven't had a problem on a cruise yet.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #22
jbo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar_Noob View Post
If you really need to smoke a Cigar on the balcony smoke this

Smells and tastes just like a cigarette
lol... That would defeat the purpose. The reason I smoke cigars is because they do NOT taste like cigarettes.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #23
jwfish81
Just wandering

First Name: Justin
Trading: (1)
jwfish81 is on a distinguished road

I guess the less cigars you get to smoke on the cruise, the more you will have down the road, say December! Hope you and the mrs still enjoy a much needed vacation, I'm sure.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #24
jbo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfish81 View Post
I guess the less cigars you get to smoke on the cruise, the more you will have down the road, say December! Hope you and the mrs still enjoy a much needed vacation, I'm sure.
Thanks...but I'm not sure it works that way.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:15 AM   #25
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Well, I have a cruise on RC in December and have plans as always to smoke cigars on my balcony.
I always make sure the door stays closed so the smoke or odor does not go into the room.

If someone next to me or around me happens to complain, which will be a first if it does happen, by the time RC personnel knock on my door, that I snip the lit end off my cigar and put it in a zip lock bag and hide it, that I quickly spray Fabreeze, that my wife makes it to the door to open it but first, that I go in the bathroom and act as if taking a dump, that they mention something about someone smoking cigars in our balcony, my wife will simply say she has no freaking idea what they are talking about and why is it that they are bothering her as she naps and bothering me as I take a dump.

Take note of above possible scenario if you are really concerned about their policy.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:50 AM   #26
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

BTW,
You cannot take alcohol onboard with you.

But you can take Pedialite in case you get sick. Hmmm.....
Old 10-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #27
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
They are now "fining" customers who smoke in their cabins where they aren't supposed to smoke
This makes sense -- it takes a lot of extra effort to get the smoke smell out of the room especially if stogies and ashes have been left sitting; they have a very short time to clean the roon and turn it around for the next cruise.

Smoking on the balcony is an entirely different thing, and I don't think that they are going to go out of there way to find and fine you.

I've been on a number of Disney cruises and they allow smoking on the balconies and they also have a nice smoking area in the 9th deck near the adult pool, and the 10th deck above the pool (on deck they do limit smoking to the starboard side so non-smokers can stay away if they are so inclined).
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #28
DoctorBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
BTW,
You cannot take alcohol onboard with you.

But you can take Pedialite in case you get sick. Hmmm.....
Genius!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #29
DoctorBJ

If the issue is about the smoke travilng back, what happens if you were to light up at the back end of the ship?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #30
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBJ View Post
Genius!
Gets better.
White/clear booze like Vodka, regular, clear non flavored is the way to go.
Infuse your vodka with fruits do you? Gets a strawberry color?
Hmm......there is the Fruit Punch flavored one available.

Oh, you don't want to spend $5 on Pedialite and carefully cut the bottom edge of the plastic seal so when you put the cap back it back on it does not look opened?
Happen to have a different colored drink need? No problem.
Gatorade to replace medically needed electrolytes anyone?

You can tell I have been on way too many cruises.
Can't imagine smoking as a hurdle coming even remotely close to the above. Just don't smoke in the room and don't give the smoke a chance to get into the room. Oh, and pack Fabreeze.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #31
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Let's go ahead and add the "you can't take an iron" to this one as all related.
Sure, you can't.
I use to ignore that one too but then decided to conform out of sheer kindness.
So what did I do? Bought a great travel steamer for around $30. Don't recall the rules saying anything about that. My stuff is always wrinkle free as result

Let's see, what else is it we can't do...................hmmmm...........thinking.

Oh yeah, wine.
Wonder how those two bottles of 20 yr tawny port always follow me on board.
Hmmm......
Wonder how they make it to the table and opened by the waiter and no corkage fee.
Hmmm......
I can share that too but can't give away ALL my secrets.

Will have to admit that while they are all tough on checked in luggage (hint if not checked it, what is it?), NCL is the toughest on that.
Took quite a few bottles on my son but they just hang on to it until the end of the trip then give them to you.

Bring your cigars, sit back, enjoy and don't worry about it up front before you get there.
There is always a way to skin a cat.

Last edited by Blueface; 10-20-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #32
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

I would smoke on the balcony and if anything came of it I would play dumb.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #33
DoctorBJ

[quote=Blueface;608560]Gets better.

Oh, you don't want to spend $5 on Pedialite and carefully cut the bottom edge of the plastic seal so when you put the cap back it back on it does not look opened?

QUOTE]

Hm.. I'll have to think on the getting into a bottle without breaking the seal. Also, can you think of a flavor of gatorade that looks like whiskey? I'm stuck on that one.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #34
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

[quote=DoctorBJ;608710]
Quote:
Gets better.

QUOTE]

Hm.. I'll have to think on the getting into a bottle without breaking the seal. Also, can you think of a flavor of gatorade that looks like whiskey? I'm stuck on that one.
I just put my booze in colored plastic water bottles and carry them aboard. Never had a problem.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #35
newlifetaxidermy

I just pack the liquor bottles in my suitcase....never had a problem! Last time, we carried 2-750mLs and 6 pints.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #36
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Use a sharp razor blade on the tabs that connect the ring to the cap and reseal with the tiniest dot of krazy glue.

A few dark colored rootbeer bottles might work for the whiskey.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #37
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Too easy.
Plastic bottle of Apple Juice that I need for medical reasons and they don't have on board readily available for my stateroom.

Remember, when doing check in luggage scans, the cruise line checks contents of bags via a large airport type x-ray machine used for luggage when checked in at the airport also.
These guys are generally employees of the cruise line and are trained to look for bottles that look like booze. They are not really looking for bottles of gatorade or other similar stuff.

The folks checking the carry on stuff are generally port employees, not cruise line, at least from the three ports I have used. They don't care what the heck you bring as long as it is not a weapon and you smile. I always smile as they see my bottles of port. One time was asked, told them it was a special anniversary bottle for the table for the wife and he had just blown the surprise as she was next to me. He turned red, apologized profusely and let me on my way.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #38
DoctorBJ

Quote:
One time was asked, told them it was a special anniversary bottle for the table for the wife and he had just blown the surprise as she was next to me. He turned red, apologized profusely and let me on my way.

Well played.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #39
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Well played.
The funny thing is that no matter how many cigars I take on a cruise or how much booze/port/wine I can get in, I manage to drop an average of $150 a day between all my on board drinking, buying bottles at the table, buying bottles to bring home, cigar purchases and excursions.
No one should feel sorry for them. They do well with me as 5th cruise in 12 months coming up in December.

BTW,
The tip for opening bottles at the table with no corkage fee.
Simple.
The minute I get to the dinner table, I advance tip the waiter, assistant and head waiter. I let them know when the cruise is over, will tip them some more if they make it a memorable time for us. Amazing what that will get you.
In three cruises this year on the same ship, they all knew my wife and I and all were incredible with us knowing money was given up front and more to be given at the end. Basically the waiters from the first trip told the ones from the second and the two told the third to look out for money.
Those poor guys will do the world for you if you treat them well. Not something all do. Some folks cut out on tip night to avoid it. Hurts me to see that.

Last edited by Blueface; 10-20-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #40
jbo57

And in conclusion...

I have read your posts and appreciated the feedback. I'm a firm believer in making sure that cigar smokers don't get a bad name. So, if the rule is no smoking cigars on the balcony, I won't smoke on the balcony. I don't agree with it, but that's the rule. I'll put on my smoking clothes and head down to the cigar bar or I'll go out to the aft deck...I'll find a place to enjoy a cigar, but I'll follow the rules.

Concerning taking alcohol on board...that's not an issue since I gave up drinking about 32 years ago. Thanks everybody for the input and help! I needed a place to vent.