Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-31-2009, 06:17 PM   #341
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: iPhone Cigar App RELEASED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmokey View Post
alec bradley
Hoyo de Monterrey Cask Aged
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikk50 View Post
Off hand:
Arganese
Augusto Reyes
Carlos toraņo
Diamond Crown
Don Lino
Famous
Maxx By AB
Pinar Del Rio
San Cristobal
Sancho Panza
Taboo

all of these are either nonexistent in the current list or missing depth
Alec Bradley is in a recent update. Be sure to tap the "refresh" icon on the main page of the Reference section. There should be 61 Alec Bradley cigars in the reference. Maybe some older ones are missing?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:06 PM   #342
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Off hand:
Arganese
Augusto Reyes
Carlos toraņo
Diamond Crown
Don Lino
Famous
Maxx By AB
Pinar Del Rio
San Cristobal
Sancho Panza
Taboo

all of these are either nonexistent in the current list or missing depth
21 Arganese cigars added. Those had been sent by a frequent contributor, but I had forgotten to add them
Old 09-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #343
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

I've had some bad iPhone karma recently and have needed to restore from back ups several times. Each time I do, I end up with a virgin copy of Mobile Stogie. Not a big deal until tonite when I spent the last hour plus cataloging one of the vinos. Am I doing anything wrong? I KNOW I back up my iPhone correctly, but on the restore the app is there but not the data.
Posted via Mobile Device
massphatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:39 AM   #344
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
I've had some bad iPhone karma recently and have needed to restore from back ups several times. Each time I do, I end up with a virgin copy of Mobile Stogie. Not a big deal until tonite when I spent the last hour plus cataloging one of the vinos. Am I doing anything wrong? I KNOW I back up my iPhone correctly, but on the restore the app is there but not the data.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow, that is bad iPhone karma, but I don't see any reason that the backup shouldn't restore properly. Nobody else has ever raised this issue, and I have done restores many times without problems. I even changed phones twice in the past couple of months, and each time restored correctly.

I will ask on one of the iPhone dev forums to see if anybody else has seen this. Sorry for the inconvenience Vin. I'm getting ready to release another update that will include the ability to email the inventory data as an excel file. That wouldn't completely solve the issue, but would make it much easier to reload the info if you had it sitting in one place like that.

Lastly, there are several free applications that allow you to extract data from your iPhone backups (I use "iPhone Backup Extractor" on my Mac). You might want to find one of those and verify that you have a good backup of Mobile Stogie. If you go down that path, PM me and I'll help you understand what to look for).
Old 09-03-2009, 05:16 AM   #345
massphatness

ERdM

Thanks, Ken. To this point it really hasn't been an imposition because I haven't been adding any significant data. Now though, I'm really starting to get serious about cataloging my inventory, so I look forward to the email functionality you're adding. The hour or so I spent with the app last night was actually kinda' fun. It's very functional, and not at all gimmicky. Me likey!

I did have another question though -- I came across a stick not in your database; an 09 ERDM French RE. I added it as a new cigar. Should you ultimately update the database with this cigar, what happens to the info I entered? (Let's assume the info I entered matches your update 100%.) Will my be overwritten? Or will I just end up with two possible selections for the same stick?
Old 09-03-2009, 05:31 AM   #346
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Thanks, Ken. To this point it really hasn't been an imposition because I haven't been adding any significant data. Now though, I'm really starting to get serious about cataloging my inventory, so I look forward to the email functionality you're adding. The hour or so I spent with the app last night was actually kinda' fun. It's very functional, and not at all gimmicky. Me likey!

I did have another question though -- I came across a stick not in your database; an 09 ERDM French RE. I added it as a new cigar. Should you ultimately update the database with this cigar, what happens to the info I entered? (Let's assume the info I entered matches your update 100%.) Will my be overwritten? Or will I just end up with two possible selections for the same stick?
You'll end up with two possible selections. Each reference cigar gets a unique 'key' in the database. There is a reserved range of keys for user entered cigars, to ensure that I never overwrite any of your data, so your 09 ERDM will get its key, then when I add it to the main database, it will get a different key. It was the best way I could come up with to be sure I don't overwrite anything. I've been thinking about using a different color, font, italics, etc. to distinguish the user-entered records. Suggestions are welcome

Another thing you could do is to email me the info that you would want to put in, and I could add to the master database. You'd then get that info when you tap the update icon. I have an excel template that a number of folks have been using to help fill in the reference data. Of course, that doesn't give the immediate result of just adding it to your own copy.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #347
massphatness

ERdM

I'm full of questions ...

Let's say I edit info on one of the cigars on the MobileStogie server. Do my edits stick (for me) or will they be overwritten when the app is receives updates?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #348
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
I'm full of questions ...

Let's say I edit info on one of the cigars on the MobileStogie server. Do my edits stick (for me) or will they be overwritten when the app is receives updates?
Posted via Mobile Device
If you edit one of the reference cigars that is already in my database, and I subsequently edit the same cigar, it will overwrite your edits . Not sure of the best way to avoid that, other than to ask you to let me know what I have wrong in the reference data, so I can fix it for everybody

I could change the code so that it flags the cigars that you edit, and then you would not get edits from the main database for that same cigar. It would create bit of complexity in the code, but it's certainly doable. Unfortunately, I would have to submit a new update to Apple in order to make that change. I can see both sides of it; what do you think?

I imagine you've noticed a LOT of updates recently. Those are mainly significant cleanup that I've been doing to Origin, Binder, Filler and Wrapper data, fixing a lot of inconsistencies, spelling errors, and a bunch of data that was truncated in the iPhone database (had the wrong field length in my online database for a while).

Everyday there's more coding to do...
Old 09-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #349
massphatness

ERdM

And you're doing fab, Ken
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #350
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
And you're doing fab, Ken
Posted via Mobile Device
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #351
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godofgravity View Post
There is a notes section in the app. When you add a cigar to your humidor, there is a notes field at the very bottom. Tapping it will expand it to a large text field where notes can be made. You can also get to this field by selecting a cigar you've already added to your humidor, where you can edit it to add likes/dislikes after you've smoked one.
The notes section you refer to is only for cigars in your humidor. If you picked up a cigar at a herf or a B&M and it never made it to your humidor, it would be nice to be able to add notes to it in the reference section.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #352
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
The notes section you refer to is only for cigars in your humidor. If you picked up a cigar at a herf or a B&M and it never made it to your humidor, it would be nice to be able to add notes to it in the reference section.
True enough, and I'll look into this as I continue to work on a more complete 'smoking notes' section of the app. In the meantime, a reasonable workaround that others are using:

Create a humidor called "Smoked". Anything that you want to maintain notes on can be put in this humidor. In your example, when you are viewing a cigar in the reference section, it's pretty quick to add it to the "Smoked" humidor, and you have immediate access to the notes field when you add it.

Not perfect, but not too bad for the moment.

Hope this helps
Old 09-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #353
brandonfd3s
NC to CA to TX now!

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
brandonfd3s is on a distinguished road

Just bought it! Very nice app. Now to go input all the data of smoked cigars and sadly the handful left in the humidor. Thanks ken for an awesome app.
brandonfd3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #354
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
True enough, and I'll look into this as I continue to work on a more complete 'smoking notes' section of the app. In the meantime, a reasonable workaround that others are using:

Create a humidor called "Smoked". Anything that you want to maintain notes on can be put in this humidor. In your example, when you are viewing a cigar in the reference section, it's pretty quick to add it to the "Smoked" humidor, and you have immediate access to the notes field when you add it.

Not perfect, but not too bad for the moment.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the suggestion -- this is a really great idea!! Keep up the good work -- I love this app!
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #355
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

FYI... Version 1.7.0 was just approved. Should be showing up any time now.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #356
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

What will it contain?
Old 09-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #357
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
What will it contain?
Linky
Old 09-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #358
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Sweet thanks ken!
Old 09-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #359
GoldnGT
Hibbidy Jibbidy

Trading: (2)
PL
GoldnGT is on a distinguished road

not on as of 30pm CT =(

Edit: bah. Three Twenty PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #360
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldnGT View Post
not on as of 30pm CT =(

Edit: bah. Three Twenty PM.
I got the email notification at 3:30pm ET; often takes a couple of hours to show up on the app store (sometimes even longer). Just thought I'd let the BOTL's to BOLO for it.