Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #21
Dave128
Sexy Dave
 
Dave128's Avatar
3
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
First Name: Dave
Location: Colonie, NY
Posts: 3,353
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is a jewel in the roughDave128 is a jewel in the roughDave128 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Black Garlic

I'm going to have to give it a try. Sounds interesting.
__________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
I "heart" Boobies and Beer!
Dave128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #22
mk05
Have My Own Room
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,161
Trading: (2)
mk05 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Black Garlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Too pretentious.


mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #23
markem
Mostly Harmless
 
markem's Avatar
11
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Mark
Location: Casa TJ
Posts: 16,008
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Black Garlic

I've been talking to a friend who is an executive chef for a highly rated restaurant in Spokane (Clover). He says that black garlic is well known and difficult to pair for westerners as we do not have a refined enough palette. He recommends a bacon and spinach salad with a salty Brie.
markem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #24
mk05
Have My Own Room
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,161
Trading: (2)
mk05 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Black Garlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
I've been talking to a friend who is an executive chef for a highly rated restaurant in Spokane (Clover). He says that black garlic is well known and difficult to pair for westerners as we do not have a refined enough palette. He recommends a bacon and spinach salad with a salty Brie.
That's (hopefully) not what he meant. As an Asian who transplanted to Oregon early, I understand both Eastern/Western palates and preferences innately. What I've found is that Americans do not have a taste for umami - it is the black hole in their palate. The concept was, and is, practically unknown to most here. The idea (and the taste) is so foreign, that the word literally does not exist in the English language.

The chef does know what he is talking about. Umami does well balanced with salty and fatty sweet. It would be passable with bacon and fresh baby spinach, which is another great example of umami hiding in plain sight. Bacon fat has an umami texture, as do cheese and spinach. What the chef is looking to do is introduce Asian umami (black garlic) by relating with known Western umami, so even if the taster has no idea, it makes sense subconsciously.

Last edited by mk05; 12-29-2014 at 02:37 PM.
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #25
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi
 
mosesbotbol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Moses
Location: Boston
Posts: 5,642
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol has a spectacular aura aboutmosesbotbol has a spectacular aura aboutmosesbotbol has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Black Garlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk05 View Post
That's (hopefully) not what he meant. As an Asian who transplanted to Oregon early, I understand both Eastern/Western palates and preferences innately. What I've found is that Americans do not have a taste for umami - it is the black hole in their palate. The concept was, and is, practically unknown to most here. The idea (and the taste) is so foreign, that the word literally does not exist in the English language.

The chef does know what he is talking about. Umami does well balanced with salty and fatty sweet. It would be passable with bacon and fresh baby spinach, which is another great example of umami hiding in plain sight. Bacon fat has an umami texture, as do cheese and spinach. What the chef is looking to do is introduce Asian umami (black garlic) by relating with known Western umami, so even if the taster has no idea, it makes sense subconsciously.
I had the most insane wild mushroom and yellow noodle soup recently in Singapore. Famous place called Din Tai Fung; a Chinese food chain in South East Asia. The umami flavors were so amazing, I almost fell of my chair!

Americans that do not think of umami flavor just need a few strong umami dishes to associate the flavor with the name. Most know flavor, but may not have the descriptor or memory point.
__________________
F1 | Port Wine | Welsh Corgi | Campagnolo
mosesbotbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #26
T.G
Mmmm Stogies....
 
T.G's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: The Other Adam
Posts: 14,248
Trading: (36)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Black Garlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk05 View Post
That's (hopefully) not what he meant. As an Asian who transplanted to Oregon early, I understand both Eastern/Western palates and preferences innately. What I've found is that Americans do not have a taste for umami - it is the black hole in their palate. The concept was, and is, practically unknown to most here. The idea (and the taste) is so foreign, that the word literally does not exist in the English language.
By that logic, neither did the Japanese prior to the early 1900's, when they invented the word.

T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #27
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant
 
AdamJoshua's Avatar
8
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
First Name: The Other Adam
Location: Satellite Beach
Posts: 9,538
Trading: (35)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: Black Garlic

Sounds good, but not enough to make my squid ink.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #28
markem
Mostly Harmless
 
markem's Avatar
11
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Mark
Location: Casa TJ
Posts: 16,008
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Black Garlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk05 View Post
That's (hopefully) not what he meant.
I am pretty sure that I am quoting him correctly. Some people think that "refined" equates only with "elegant and cultured" while missing the equally important "developed or improved so as to be precise".
markem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:02 PM   #29
mk05
Have My Own Room
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,161
Trading: (2)
mk05 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Black Garlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I had the most insane wild mushroom and yellow noodle soup recently in Singapore. Famous place called Din Tai Fung; a Chinese food chain in South East Asia. The umami flavors were so amazing, I almost fell of my chair!

Americans that do not think of umami flavor just need a few strong umami dishes to associate the flavor with the name. Most know flavor, but may not have the descriptor or memory point.
Exactly, all you need is a couple things to relate to what you already know, then associate that to umami, as said above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
By that logic, neither did the Japanese prior to the early 1900's, when they invented the word.

OK...so they got a hundred years head start being able to use it with mastery. This is like rolling your eyes at people using gunpowder vs bows and arrows. Or rolling your eyes at Copernicus or the guy who discovered that the world is round. Or a German rolling his eyes at the English because Shakespeare just discovered some words several hundred years ago. But this isn't the point, the point is that all you need is to relate and associate, and open your mind to new ideas.
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:07 PM   #30
Genetic Defect
difetosso
 
Genetic Defect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Perry
Location: somewhere under the rainbow
Posts: 5,177
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation
Default Re: Black Garlic

Yes, yummy.
Genetic Defect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #31
T.G
Mmmm Stogies....
 
T.G's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: The Other Adam
Posts: 14,248
Trading: (36)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Black Garlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk05 View Post

OK...so they got a hundred years head start being able to use it with mastery. This is like rolling your eyes at people using gunpowder vs bows and arrows. Or rolling your eyes at Copernicus or the guy who discovered that the world is round. Or a German rolling his eyes at the English because Shakespeare just discovered some words several hundred years ago. But this isn't the point, the point is that all you need is to relate and associate, and open your mind to new ideas.
No, I was rolling my eyes at you. Not them.

Moses hit the nail on the head, umami had been there all along, it just needs to be pointed out. Prior to the invention of the the word by the man who isolated msg as a way to describe the specific flavor sensation it creates, everything was just lumped in under "savory".

Once it's pointed out, it's amazing how fast people look back and go "oh, I've always wondered what that flavor / sensation was"
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #32
mk05
Have My Own Room
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,161
Trading: (2)
mk05 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Black Garlic

Yes! Exactly. Umami has always been there, but no one termed it. I was agreeing by telling Mark that all people need is to relate and then associate, I don't know why you'd be rolling your eyes at me.
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #33
T.G
Mmmm Stogies....
 
T.G's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: The Other Adam
Posts: 14,248
Trading: (36)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Black Garlic

T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #34
hammondc
Moar Padrons!
 
hammondc's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
First Name: Chip
Location: Senoia, GA
Posts: 2,432
Trading: (15)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Black Garlic

Bookmarked
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.