Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #21
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Porch Dweller's Wineador Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCuts View Post

I sincerely wish I knew what you guys are talking about. I'm sure I'd have a better job today. Instead, I went to art school. What was I thinking?! Ugh. My old man was right!

This is why I use an Oust fan. It's got an on/off switch, runs on one "D" battery, automatically toggles on/off every now and again, is perfectly silent, and I think I picked it up for $8 about seven or so years ago.

It still works great and keeps my cigars resting comfortably.
Unfortunately, the Oust fans have been discontinued.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #22
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Unfortunately, the Oust fans have been discontinued.
If you are looking for a small battery operated fan I can recommend the following -- it is a refrigerator fan for an RV refrigerator. Runs on two "D" batteries and is always on.

I use these for circulation when conditioning my beads.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #23
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
If you are looking for a small battery operated fan I can recommend the following -- it is a refrigerator fan for an RV refrigerator. Runs on two "D" batteries and is always on.

I use these for circulation when conditioning my beads.
Thanks!
Old 08-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #24
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

I received the cedar trays today. The smell when I unwrapped them was incredible.

Because of the smaller size of the 18-bottle fridge, they go in sideways and fit the depth of the fridge perfectly:

Now, I keep an eye on the RH for a day or two before I determine whether the beads need tending to or if it's ready for some sticks.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #25
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
I don't have a circuit diagram. But, you may need that circuit board to power the cooling modules.
Na Rat, I'm good. It's been tested, it cools now, but it is powered continuously though. It's a simple design. Glorified CPU coolers.

I could run a common household thermostat, and define a temp that would close the leg to a relay, and allow the 12volt to the fans. A timer on the AC power is just a cheaper less involved solution.

I'd take a picture but as some may have noticed my new phone double posts any time I edit pics. ( Need an app.)

Last edited by Bondo 287; 08-28-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Bondo 287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #26
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I received the cedar trays today. The smell when I unwrapped them was incredible.
They look sweet ! How wide are your trays?
Old 08-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #27
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo 287 View Post
They look sweet ! How wide are your trays?
They're 12.5"w x 7.5"d x 2.25"h. Here's a link to where I picked them up: http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_cedar-tray_TRAY.html
Old 08-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #28
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

Cohiba

LOL yeah I jumped on that and bookmarked the site yesterday. My trays will need 8.25" wide bottom slats , but the box side width about 7" wide. ( they slide in side slots like toaster oven trays. ) If that makes any sense. So just to beat the proverbial dead horse.... did you put a timer on that beast yet?
Old 08-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #29
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo 287 View Post
LOL yeah I jumped on that and bookmarked the site yesterday. My trays will need 8.25" wide bottom slats , but the box side width about 7" wide. ( they slide in side slots like toaster oven trays. ) If that makes any sense. So just to beat the proverbial dead horse.... did you put a timer on that beast yet?
Not as yet. The humidity seems to be pretty consistent from the bottom to the top. I'm going to give it a day or two with just the trays in there for it stabilize. Once I get my sticks in it I'll be keeping an eye on the RH differential from top to bottom. If it's >2 after three or four days I'll add a fan.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #30
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

Cohiba

rojer that. I'm thinking if I get trays next month and get the Rh stable after that.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #31
.cigardude.
Still Watching My Back

Montecristo
.cigardude. is on a distinguished road

It's coming along nicely James.
.cigardude. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #32
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

...and, here it is all loaded up:

Drawer 1:

Drawer 2:

Drawer 3:

I'm still tweaking with the RH; the beads might need one more blow dryer treatment and they'll be good to go.

Lessons Learned, to help those in the future who may set one up:
- When you get your beads, put them right into the wineador and leave 'em be for a day or two. I wet mine before putting them in and ended up using the blow dryer more than The Zohan.
- If your power goes out, check on your wineador first thing when the power comes back on. Some models including mine default to the coldest setting when they lose power.
- Get more space than you need. Mine's an 18-bottle and I'm quite pleased with it. But it's pretty full and I'd like just a little more space in the event I stumble upon an awesome deal that I can't pass up.