Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Paleo/Raw Chocolate and Blood Orange Cheesecake

I've been trying to incorporate different dishes into my diet lifestyle, to keep things fresh and good for my blood sugar. Found a good Paleo blog that has some cool recipes, some of which are also raw dishes. This dessert intrigued me since it is mostly made from nuts. Blood oranges are in season, so I thought I'd use those. Original recipe found here. http://passionatepaleo.blogspot.ca/2...heesecake.html
I only made it one layer, and didn't put the chocolate topping on it for this first attempt. If making for friends, I'll fancy it up.

INGREDIENTS:

CRUST:
1 cup almond flour
4 pitted mejoled dates soaked until soft
1/4 cup raw cacao powder (you can use the dutch coco powder too, but cacao has more nutrients)

FILLING:
2 cups raw cashews soaked for 3+ hours)
1 cup coconut oil
zest/juice from 2 blood oranges
2 - 3 tablespoons honey (depending on how sweet you like it)
1 TBSP grated ginger
1 TSP Vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

- Place almond flour in food processor or chopper
- Add soaked dates and raw cacao powder, blend well until mixture is sticky
- Put the mixture into the bottom of a 7 inch spring form pan. Put the rest aside (You can line a square cake pan with parchment paper if you don't have a spring form pan)

- Zest orange and ginger and set aside
- In a blender combine soaked cashews, melted coconut oil, orange juice, vanilla and honey, Blend until fully mixed
- Add the grated orange and ginger
- Pour the mixture over crust in the spring form pan
- No baking required! Place in the fridge for a few hours or over night to let set up before serving, Enjoy!

It has a texture similar to cheesecake. The coconut oil flavor comes thru at first, but then you taste the orange and chocolate. I'm really enjoying it and will make this again.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Paleo/Raw Chocolate and Blood Orange Cheesecake

Bob, the wife and I have been doing paleo for about a month do far. I'm going to forward it on to her!

I hate to say it, but she has found tons of paleo friendly recipes on Pinterest. You should check it out.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

How do you like Paleo Cole my brother and his wife have been doing it for nearly a year and he loves it... her not so much?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

It's kind of humbling, really...cheesecake...just like the cavemen ate.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by czerbe View Post
How do you like Paleo Cole my brother and his wife have been doing it for nearly a year and he loves it... her not so much?
I really like it, we are doing great on it, and I don't really have a craving for things anymore. I mean, don't get me wrong, pizza, wings and beer sound awesome...but we have found ways to get around those things.

It's actually pretty cool, and my wife is ALL for it, so that is a total help. I don't think I could do it alone if she kept other crap in the house.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaase321 View Post
I really like it, we are doing great on it, and I don't really have a craving for things anymore. I mean, don't get me wrong, pizza, wings and beer sound awesome...but we have found ways to get around those things.

It's actually pretty cool, and my wife is ALL for it, so that is a total help. I don't think I could do it alone if she kept other crap in the house.
My brother is really pushing me to give it a shot he gave me a book from Christmas on it but the wife is not on the same page and I'm not sure I'm ready to give up Beer!!!