Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough
Default Engagement Ring

Starting to look around for an engagement ring and have considered several options ie. mall chain stores, a local jeweler, online retailer. I dont like the prices at the mall, the local jeweler seemed like an ok option but wasnt completely sold on him yet. A friend of mine mentioned beverlydiamond.com but the prices seem too good to be true. Has anyone heard of this place or know of another online retailer? Im leery of ordering online without seeing it first.

I want 1.5-2c round solitare
18k white gold band with diamonds halfway down each side of the band
Trying to stay near 12k

Any info would be appreciated, thanks
Old 10-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Engagement Ring

I had a family friend in the jewelry business, so I can't help you much about the site. I will tell you that you need to pay attention to the color and clarity of the diamond. Color is judged on a scale of A-Z with D being colorless and considered the best. It is obviously more expensive than a G color with the same clarity at any given size. Color is what makes it sparkle when the light hits it. Clarity refers to inclusions in the stone itself. Depending on where they are located, they can cause the diamond to look cloudy. At today's prices, I do not think you will get a quality 2 karat diamond for 12,000. I'm skeptical you can get a 1.5 karat. If you can, it is going to be lower color and clarity. Low color and low grade clarity mean you have a big cloudy ring that doesn't sparkle. I went with a 1 karat with excellent color and good clarity and am really pleased with how it came out. But I did it about 7 years ago, when diamond prices were much lower. Good luck and congratulations on your impending engagement.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

have you taken the lucky lady to look at rings? i did that about 1 year before i popped the question. helped me out a bunch
Old 10-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

BTW, congrats.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Kevin(n)tn
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (1)
Kevin(n)tn is on a distinguished road

My girlfriend and I have been looking. She liked Shane Co. They are online and have stores.
Kevin(n)tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation

Best place nationwide to get jewelry - Costco. Seriously, all of their jewelry is stunning and priced right. If you want to spend 12k, there is a lot to choose from:
http://www.costco.com/jewelry.html

Chicago also has an area called Jewelers Row on Wabash where you can negotiate a really good deal on a ring if you are in the Chicago area. I had my wifes custom made there.

Some suggestions - dont buy odd cuts like heart shape or pear shape as they dont hold as much value as regular cuts. Princess (square) cuts are in right now and sell for a premium. Bring a magnifying loupe with you to inspect the diamond carefully, and never trust a jewelers appraisal.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
have you taken the lucky lady to look at rings? i did that about 1 year before i popped the question. helped me out a bunch

Everytime we go to the mall she likes to browse so I have a good idea what she is looking for
Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Congrats!

I think I'm going to look up my last response to a post like this, cause I don't feel like repeating myself. I have so much advice on this subject that my head wants to explode

(EDIT)

Just a quick one I looked up. 1.50ct round, H color, SI1 GIA certified, wg eng ring with 1/3ct tw: $14,482.00

It's going to be tough to stay at or below 12K with those specs.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.

Last edited by Eleven; 10-25-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

mjdx88 is on a distinguished road

my 2 cents, find a local guy who will set the stone/cast the ring. By the stones from bluenile.com I just went through this whole thing....do your research. GIA is pretty standard but there is a legal tolerance to go up or down one grade so a color G can really be an H and vice versa a G can really be an F although unlikely in this case, this is true for all aspects of the stone. Its a lot more work but you will save a ton and get the ring you really want.

I would recommend to go for the smaller stone 1ct. but higher quality, it will show and you, your soon to be fiancée and others will notice

One last thing, Congrats! Its a roller coaster, enjoy it!
mjdx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

BTW dont order the ring/band from bluenile.....i have not seen or heard a single good thing about them in that department but they do awesome with price/customer service in the diamond section, also if you do order a stone/ring from online get it shipped to work if you can....UPS/FEDEX has been known to leave these packages on door steps.....
Old 10-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

My from a previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
I have been in the business for over 25 years and here are a couple things that I tell my friends:

Get a certified diamond, preferably GIA certified, they are the gold standard for diamond certification.

14k or platinum solitaire settings never go out of style.

Stick with a standard shape diamond (this one is my preference but it has not failed), you cannot go wrong with a Round Brilliant Cut.

If had to choose between attributes, I always say to NEVER skimp on color. You'll find 1 million diamonds out there with the standard "G-H-I" color range, but once you place a D or E color diamond next to any of those, you'll never question this recommendation again.

Also, be aware of any place that uses ranges when specifying color or clarity. If they say G-H-I or I quality without being specific such as G color, SI2, then you can be sure it's at the low end of that range, and I can guarantee whatever cert they may produce will not be GIA.

Good Luck and Congrats!

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by omowasu View Post
Chicago also has an area called Jewelers Row on Wabash where you can negotiate a really good deal on a ring if you are in the Chicago area. I had my wifes custom made there.
Dozens of quality jewelers there where you can pick the stone and setting, and basically pay wholesale.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
big pete
Going to the darkside....

Trading: (20)
PL
big pete will become famous soon enoughbig pete will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
My from a previous post:
+1. I would sacrifice a little size for color and clarity. Your girls (and other girls) will notice the difference. I bought a engagement ring last year and got the stone through Bluenile and the ring at Shaneco.
big pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #14
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
I bet the suspense during that year KILLED her.
"I know this bastard is gonna propose...."
Congrats!
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Dozens of quality jewelers there where you can pick the stone and setting, and basically pay wholesale.

This. A little bit of education on the quality of the stones can go a long way. Why give her a substandard diamond, when this ring has so much importance? On the same note, why spend five grand on the diamond alone, when you can get an equal diamond for significantly less money? It can be done.

Congrats!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #16
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Thanks for everyones input. Went to a local jeweler and picked out the stone and had the band custom made and set. She said yes and loves it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.3 KB, 225 views)
Old 11-22-2012, 12:32 AM   #17
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation

That is one great looking center stone! Congratulations!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

Nice, Congrats!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #19
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

Good looking ring. Congrats man!!!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #20
Cigar Mike
Thankful.

First Name: Mike
Montecristo CoastGuard (Deployed)
Cigar Mike is on a distinguished road

Congrats!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote