Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
IlmProcess
¿Spectacle

First Name: Trent
Trading: (0)
IlmProcess is on a distinguished road
Default Maroma Extra Fuerte Churchill

4-20/21 2012

Maroma Fuerte Churchill 7x48
ROTT—These came in on 4-20 around 10am

Famous Description
Full-bodied value hounds, take notice: Maroma Fuerte cigars are about to earn a spot in your daily rotation. These Cuban sandwich cigars are handmade in Nicaragua by Don Pepin Garcia. The blend is a POTENT 80/20 mix of Nicaraguan Criollo and Habano fillers, Nicaraguan binders, and handsome Ecuadorian Habano Rosado wrappers. They're so well-made, you'd never know they were mixed filler cigars. Highly recommended after you've had a full meal, unless you're the masochistic type.

Setting- In my home | listening to Earth’s The Bees Made Honey in the Lion’s Skull followed by Earth’s Hex: Or Printing in the Infernal Method. 2nd cigar of the night after smoking Torano 1916 Cameroon. | paired with a lemonade/sparkling water mix

Aesthetics and construction- this is a relative inexpensive sandwich/mixed filler cigar. The band is certainly nothing to write home about, but is easily removed. The wrapper is consistent in terms of colour. Definitely veiny. I was able to easily make a hole in the cap (punch-esque) with my pocket knife. The burn was very consistent through the entire experience. The ash was flaky and didn’t hold but that’s normal for a mixed filler

Start- Lit up well, great draw (probably due to mixed filler – usually tough draw on Churchill for me, soft puffer)| Definitely had some flavour to start with – a bit sweet | nice, sweet tobacco aroma

1st third- has a sweet taste on the back of the tongue post-exhale, but while in the mouth it has a chewy, woody flavour | some charred notes that are not unpleasant | bready taste on the palette as I approach the 2nd third | smoke is generous but thin

2nd third- consistent flavor, a little more generous with the smoke | as I move along there are some sweet flavours that spring up – almost cherry-like, but not quite, some sugar | a light hay-like flavour through the nose followed by some vegetal flavours in the mouth | that sweet taste comes back and is more recognizable as a sweet-woodsy taste

Final third- the beginning offers more of the same | as I approach the last two inches it offers up some more charry notes and leather | the last inch definitely becomes spicier, as expected | surprisingly it wasn’t excessively hot toward the end, I expected a mixed-filler to really heat up | I tend to like the last bit of a cigar as long as it doesn’t get sour, I know others who really hate the last bit, so keep that in mind | after putting it out it gave off a brief whiff of caramel

Conclusion- A mixed-filler that lasted over an hour and a half and burned straight the whole way until the last half-inch (not a single touch-up was needed). This was definitely not a complex cigar, very consistent. The aroma it’s leaving in my room is quite nice. There was never a harsh or sour moment which was surprising. . I would call this medium-full, definitely not the extra-strong cigar that it is advertised as but I definitely have a bit of a nicotine buzz going (keep in mind this is my second cigar of the night). Though I found myself slightly bored with it at times, that is probably due to my writing the review as I went along; if I were hanging out with friends or concentrating on a different activity it would only be more enjoyable since the flavours are certainly bold enough to notice while multi-tasking. I think my friends who don’t smoke cigars often will enjoy this too. I won a box of 20 of these off of Cigar Auctioneer for $26.00, which puts them at 1.30 per stick – well worth it. We’ll see how these do after sitting for a few weeks.

T
Old 04-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Maroma Extra Fuerte Churchill

Nice review Trent. I've looked at these a few times but always pulled the trigger on something else. Might have to look again.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
IlmProcess
¿Spectacle

First Name: Trent
Trading: (0)
IlmProcess is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Maroma Extra Fuerte Churchill

I smoked another today and it was lighter than the one I had Friday night. Not sure why. We'll see how they are after a few more.