Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #21
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Project : Resurrecting The Display Humi

I had to take the fan bar down and take it apart to stain it.

Back where she goes...

Now the plug bar. You can see where I caulked all the seams in the humi, they aren't quite set up yet.

Mounted, caulked and complete.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #22
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Looks good Scott!
Can't wait to see this thing packed full!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #23
Boz
In Vino Veritas

First Name: William
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Boz has a spectacular aura aboutBoz has a spectacular aura about

Lookin good Scott. I'm jealous, I wish I had a place in my house for something like that.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #24
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Cool. Haven't seen a shilala project in a while.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #25
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

This is the control box for the humi that I mentioned earlier. It's made from a stack of Padron x000 series boxes. It can control eight devices. With this incarnation, I'll just leave it on top of the humi where no one can see it. I just need it to power the fans.
In the future, if placement of the humi allows, I can add low voltage relays to switch the 120v circuit for the lights.

The pile of boxes...

Surprise!!!

The rocker switches light up. Blue led's. I love blue lights.
The cigars are real, I added them to bring a little artistic authenticism to the whole deal. I used the center logo area of a box lid for the cutout where the led's are mounted. That was just one more thing to bump it up a notch.

Guts.
The control panel is powered by a low-profile psu that you find in little micro-desktop computers and HTPC's. It cranks out a good mess of juice. It used to drive 4 humidifiers, 3 fans and 14 or 16 cold cathode tubes.
The box has three sections, actually. The top is the control section, the center houses the psu and guts, then the very bottom box is open but seperated from the rest. It serves to draw air for the PSU.

Looking at the back you can see the bottom section drill holes that supply the air for the psu. Also you can see all the wires that go out to serve whatever they're busy with.
Right now this whole setup is in clamps. I had to pull it apart to work on it some months ago and never finished repairing it. I took the time to do that today. Should have gotten a picture of it all glued up in the clamps.

Last edited by shilala; 10-25-2011 at 02:32 PM.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #26
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Nice looking Scott. Thanks for posting photos, keep up the good work.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #27
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Lastly, I started mounting the new t5 flourescents. There is a big long one up top in the storage section, I think it's 33". Under each shelf will be a 23". I only mounted one under-shelf light and it was time to give up, we're taking the MIL and FIL to dinner. I got lucky though. Weeze is running late, so I'm gonna go sneak a nap.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #28
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Lookin' great, Scott. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #29
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Scott that control box is the coolest thing I have ever seen!!!
That is an amazing setup brother!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #30
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Very handy you are Scott
Old 10-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #31
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Excellent Job, Scott!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #32
Mikess
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
Army
Mikess is on a distinguished road

That control box is awesome, I will have to create something similar.
Mikess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #33
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I found this thing on Craigslist a few years ago, Ken. It had been in the Quaker Steak and Lube when they opened, along with a great big cigar locker. They moved away from that idea and had the humi and locker in storage. I went and took a look and dragged the humi home. I lived about an hour and a half northeast of Pittsburgh at that time.
You should keep an eye on Craigslist. Stuff like this shows up on there a lot.
I will definately check it out. For some reason I didn't even think of craigslist. I am really just now starting to really need something bigger. I don't exactly need a humi that large but my 150 count desktop is busting at the gills right now and I want something a bit nicer to properly display my cigars. Thanks for the info and looking forward to seeing how the project turns out.
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #34
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Very handy you are Scott
Yoda you are?
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #35
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I had to add an extra plug bar inside the humi to handle all the lights and leave the bottom section uncluttered.
I finished all the lighting and shelving and set to installing the new Avallo Accumonitor system. Before mounting all the parts and pieces, I put it all together for a dry run. The fan on the resevoir didn't run, so I double checked everything (which is foolproof) and it was all fine. I unplugged it all and decided to install a component at a time to see where the problem was, hoping it might bump the fan as I reconnected things and that's when I smelled the smoke. I look over and the control panel has smoke rolling out of the button holes. Surprisingly I didn't get pissed, just disappointed. I've been real excited about this Accumonitor system and now I have to email Ron and return it and wait for a new one.
Oh well, it happens. It's just my turn in the barrell.
I love the Accumonitor setup, by the way. It looks awesome, and it's sexy as hell. I can't wait to get her all up and running.
While I wait, I'll go back to using the gob of Hydras I have laying around.
I'm going to go down and clean up my area, then I'll start cleaning and reinstalling all the glass. Once that's done, I'm going to start emptying coolers and filling the humi.
I have about 20 pounds of beads all conditioned and ready to go. They're new stuff I recently developed, little barrel shaped things. I'll be able to dump the whole bucket right in the bottom on my humidor, it'll be awesome.

The extra plug bar...

As she stands right now, all lit up...

The new beads...

Old 11-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #36
kickerb

new beads...?
Old 11-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #37
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

They look like pencil erasers!!!
Looks good so far, can't wait to see it full.
Too bad about the system not working!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
new beads...?
You just blew our minds Scott!
Old 11-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #38
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

I've built a lot of humidors, I've seen a LOT of cool humidors, I've seen lots of different control units. Scott, this is by far the most phucking cool control unit I've ever seen! How damn creative are you, very nicely played!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
This is the control box for the humi that I mentioned earlier. It's made from a stack of Padron x000 series boxes. It can control eight devices. With this incarnation, I'll just leave it on top of the humi where no one can see it. I just need it to power the fans.
In the future, if placement of the humi allows, I can add low voltage relays to switch the 120v circuit for the lights.

The pile of boxes...

Surprise!!!

The rocker switches light up. Blue led's. I love blue lights.
The cigars are real, I added them to bring a little artistic authenticism to the whole deal. I used the center logo area of a box lid for the cutout where the led's are mounted. That was just one more thing to bump it up a notch.

Guts.
The control panel is powered by a low-profile psu that you find in little micro-desktop computers and HTPC's. It cranks out a good mess of juice. It used to drive 4 humidifiers, 3 fans and 14 or 16 cold cathode tubes.
The box has three sections, actually. The top is the control section, the center houses the psu and guts, then the very bottom box is open but seperated from the rest. It serves to draw air for the PSU.

Looking at the back you can see the bottom section drill holes that supply the air for the psu. Also you can see all the wires that go out to serve whatever they're busy with.
Right now this whole setup is in clamps. I had to pull it apart to work on it some months ago and never finished repairing it. I took the time to do that today. Should have gotten a picture of it all glued up in the clamps.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #39
Boz
In Vino Veritas

First Name: William
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Boz has a spectacular aura aboutBoz has a spectacular aura about

Looking damn good Scott.

Off topic: Whats the benefit of the new bead design?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #40
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I got the glass all cleaned and reinstalled...

I rewired the fans and hid the control box up top for now...

I thought this was a nice pic of the glass, lights, fans and shelves...

And here's some of the stuff that went in there. I didn't have time to move everything and rearrange and all, I'll finish that tomorrow, hopefully...