Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-25-2011, 04:17 AM   #1
dannyboy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (31)
Trinidad
dannyboy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1st time to Maui & Oahu. Any good B&Ms?

Wow, rays are are rare treat to see! It was most likely a manta ray, as I do not believe we have sting rays here. In my 5 years here I have only seen a handful of manta rays and only one spotted eagle ray. Plan on taking the trip to Hana during the week - Jay's wife is Thai and serves some absolutely amazing food at her stand in Hana 4 days a week. Just be warned that restaurant Thai food will never satisfy you again. Little Beach can be great fun - it is a clothing optional beach and Sunday nights are the hippie drum circle nights, so lots of naked people, drinking, weed smoking, and fire dancing. It makes for some seriously entertaining people watching. Little Beach is a fantastic beach and would be my absolute favorite, if not for the nudity (unfortunately, mostly aging male hippies). I enjoy going there early mornings, since there are not many people there before 10 am.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:23 AM   #2
dannyboy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (31)
Trinidad
dannyboy will become famous soon enough

One other thing - when snorkeling at Honolua Bay - bring some cash, the access is on private land and the homeowners spend a lot of time to keep up the land and make access easy for everyone. They just ask for a small donation (say $5-10) and that you not leave any trash there. Once in the water, you will need to swim a ways out to the left or right of the bay. The water is murky and there is not much to see right off the shore since the fresh water from the creek kills the coral right there. Once you get out a ways there are some amazing coral heads and life on the reef.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

Trading: (3)
Zoomschwortz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
One other thing - when snorkeling at Honolua Bay - bring some cash, the access is on private land and the homeowners spend a lot of time to keep up the land and make access easy for everyone. They just ask for a small donation (say $5-10) and that you not leave any trash there. Once in the water, you will need to swim a ways out to the left or right of the bay. The water is murky and there is not much to see right off the shore since the fresh water from the creek kills the coral right there. Once you get out a ways there are some amazing coral heads and life on the reef.
Thanks for the info.
After I went for my morning swim, we ate at Kihei Cafe and had the #8 rice ball and loved it. Thanks for the tip on the Cafe.

After breakfast we checked out the sites south of Kihei and made it down to the lava field but didn't see any of the spinner dolphins.

One thing I gotta say about snorkeling here, I keep getting a jump start of my heart when something large suddenly comes into view and it is very close to me.

My OH SH*T moment this morning, quickly changed to another AWESOME moment. I was floating about 5 foot above some corral and rock looking straight down at some fish when without warning something very large completely blocked my view. After the sudden shock I realized it was a very large turtle. The first picture I snapped fills the screen with about 1/4 of the shell and most of a flipper it was so close and so big.

Those things don't bite do they? That head was pretty big and it looked like it could take quite a bite if it wanted to.

I was able to spin around in time to get a couple pictures as it was leaving me.

I also saw about 20 inches of some kind of eel coming out from under a rock. I only saw the tail and I was only in about 5 feet of water so I didn't stick around for the head to pop out. A guy I work with who was born and raised in Oahu told me to be careful around the eels because they can take a big chunk out of you. Don't know if he was kidding or not, but I really didn't want to find out.

Dan, sorry I missed your call, I was out swimming again after we got back from our trip south.

Take care
Ken
Zoomschwortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
Jason
the thing under the thing

Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Jason will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Great snorkeling at Honolua Bay up above Kapalua. Take a day drive to Hana if you like beautiful rain forests.
I was disappointed in Honolua this year after not being there in 9 years, reef down from 43% to 9% coverage http://www.savehonolua.org/

Hana and Oheo Gulch were sad affairs as well, nanny warnings, lots of trail closings and 50x the people

first world problems I know but deeply disappointing nonetheless
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote