Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #21
Kreth
Ronin smoker
 
Kreth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
First Name: Jeff
Location: Oneonta, NY
Posts: 3,620
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Honestly if you can find a screen on ebay for $85 bucks or so they aren't hard to change. Just buy a new screen and swap it out. You'll save quite a bit of money.
It could also be a loose connector, happens sometimes, especially if the laptop gets bounced around a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #22
14holestogie
Serial banter killer
 
14holestogie's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tim
Location: Clintonville, WI
Posts: 4,337
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: laptop monitor blacked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
If it's less than a year old, isn't it sill covered under a manufacturer's warranty?
Luck is not with us. Looks like it was purchased 54 weeks ago.
__________________
I loves me a Parti
14holestogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #23
T.G
Mmmm Stogies....
 
T.G's Avatar
12
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: The Other Adam
Posts: 14,179
Trading: (35)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: laptop monitor blacked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
Luck is not with us. Looks like it was purchased 54 weeks ago.
Ouch. That blows.

Might still be worth a call to Compaq support, maybe they can do something, give you a better rate or make an exemption. Also, some business grade notebooks have 2 year warranties. Or 1-year full coverage, 2nd year partial.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #24
ashauler
Just in from the Storm
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Jamie
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4
Trading: (0)
ashauler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: laptop monitor blacked out

Try to attach an external monitor and boot it up. If the external works, it's the LCD.
ashauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #25
357
Will herf for food
 
357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Mike
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,895
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a glorious beacon of light357 is a glorious beacon of light357 is a glorious beacon of light357 is a glorious beacon of light357 is a glorious beacon of light357 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: laptop monitor blacked out

Laptops have hotkeys for toggling between the laptop display and an external monitor. Usually the hotkey combo is Fn + F8. The options are laptop display only, both, and external display only. If you accidentally got stuck in external display only, you could experience what you're describing. Try holding down the function key (Fn) and hitting the F8 key. It might take 2-3 tries, and it will take up to 10 seconds for each toggle. However, after multiple reboots it is unlikely that you're stuck in external display only mode. To make sure you're actually powering off just pull the battery out; also make sure the power adapter cable is disconnected.

Usually the screen itself doesn't completely fail like that. My best guess would be the cable between the laptop display and the lower half is somehow loose. It is a frequent problem since it runs along the hinges. Often you can get to the connecter with minimal dissasembly, but it varies based on make and model. You would need a set of small phillips and flat head screw drivers and possibly a few torx bits.

Occasionally HP/Compaq will fix problems like this when the unit is just barely out of warranty. It is worth a call. Plus, if you send it to them, you'll get it back quicker than taking it to a box store like Best Buy, etc. They ship to regional repair depots (at least for warranty repairs and most laptop hardware repairs) and often guestimate a return time from 4-6 weeks.

Good luck.
__________________
“Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar;” Mark Twain

Last edited by 357; 02-14-2011 at 02:02 PM.
357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #26
Kreth
Ronin smoker
 
Kreth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
First Name: Jeff
Location: Oneonta, NY
Posts: 3,620
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
...you'll get it back quicker than taking it to a box store like Best Buy
Plus, I wouldn't trust the Geek Squad to change a screensaver. These are the folks that couldn't get a real IT job. Check sites like ripoffreport.com and resellerratings.com sometime for some fun reading about how these mouth-breathers have trashed (and In a few cases, lost) people's computers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #27
357
Will herf for food
 
357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Mike
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,895
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a glorious beacon of light357 is a glorious beacon of light357 is a glorious beacon of light357 is a glorious beacon of light357 is a glorious beacon of light357 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: laptop monitor blacked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Plus, I wouldn't trust the Geek Squad to change a screensaver. These are the folks that couldn't get a real IT job. Check sites like ripoffreport.com and resellerratings.com sometime for some fun reading about how these mouth-breathers have trashed (and In a few cases, lost) people's computers.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's why they make you sign a data waiver.
__________________
“Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar;” Mark Twain
357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #28
Dave128
Sexy Dave
 
Dave128's Avatar
3
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
First Name: Dave
Location: Colonie, NY
Posts: 3,339
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is a jewel in the roughDave128 is a jewel in the roughDave128 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: laptop monitor blacked out

Mine went out about a year after I bought it. An external monitor did the trick. Luckily I bought the extended warrenty at the time of purchase. I sent it back to Acer and they replaced the monitor. The rest of the machine was OK.
__________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
I "heart" Boobies and Beer!
Dave128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #29
14holestogie
Serial banter killer
 
14holestogie's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tim
Location: Clintonville, WI
Posts: 4,337
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: laptop monitor blacked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Laptops have hotkeys for toggling between the laptop display and an external monitor. Usually the hotkey combo is Fn + F8. The options are laptop display only, both, and external display only. If you accidentally got stuck in external display only, you could experience what you're describing. Try holding down the function key (Fn) and hitting the F8 key. It might take 2-3 tries, and it will take up to 10 seconds for each toggle. However, after multiple reboots it is unlikely that you're stuck in external display only mode. To make sure you're actually powering off just pull the battery out; also make sure the power adapter cable is disconnected.

Usually the screen itself doesn't completely fail like that. My best guess would be the cable between the laptop display and the lower half is somehow loose. It is a frequent problem since it runs along the hinges. Often you can get to the connecter with minimal dissasembly, but it varies based on make and model. You would need a set of small phillips and flat head screw drivers and possibly a few torx bits.

Occasionally HP/Compaq will fix problems like this when the unit is just barely out of warranty. It is worth a call. Plus, if you send it to them, you'll get it back quicker than taking it to a box store like Best Buy, etc. They ship to regional repair depots (at least for warranty repairs and most laptop hardware repairs) and often guestimate a return time from 4-6 weeks.

Good luck.
I think the Fn F8 did the trick, Mike.
Thanks so much. The wife is gonna be stoked when she gets home.

__________________
I loves me a Parti
14holestogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #30
BloodSpite
He Who Dares...WINS!
 
BloodSpite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
First Name: Joe
Location: Southwest, Missouri
Posts: 364
Trading: (1)
HdM Army (Disabled Vet)
BloodSpite is on a distinguished road
Default Re: laptop monitor blacked out

Another little known trick is to try to reset the voltage unit in the power.

Remove the battery, remove the power. If you have a reset button in the RAM compartment hold it down for 10 to 30 seconds. Repeatedly hit the power button 10 to 20 times. Reinsert battery, and plug in. try to power up.

Dont ask me why this works but been doing it for years on units and it works on some of the oddest issues.

May be the video cable going from the planar board to the monitor. Sometimes they work themselves loose. It's not a real cable, but a ribbon that goes via the hinges to the monitor. The closing and opening can sometimes work the ribbon from its contacts in the monitor.

does it at least "glow" as it were?

Feel free to PM me if you need more info I'll do what i can.
BloodSpite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #31
14holestogie
Serial banter killer
 
14holestogie's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tim
Location: Clintonville, WI
Posts: 4,337
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: laptop monitor blacked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodSpite View Post
Another little known trick is to try to reset the voltage unit in the power.

Remove the battery, remove the power. If you have a reset button in the RAM compartment hold it down for 10 to 30 seconds. Repeatedly hit the power button 10 to 20 times. Reinsert battery, and plug in. try to power up.

Dont ask me why this works but been doing it for years on units and it works on some of the oddest issues.

May be the video cable going from the planar board to the monitor. Sometimes they work themselves loose. It's not a real cable, but a ribbon that goes via the hinges to the monitor. The closing and opening can sometimes work the ribbon from its contacts in the monitor.

does it at least "glow" as it were?

Feel free to PM me if you need more info I'll do what i can.
Thanks for the offer, Joe. I'll keep you in mind when the next issue comes up.

The monitor did not glow, by the way, and keystrokes (ie, cap locks, wi-fi buttons) also would not work, making me think the processor was not kicking in at all. Now, all is right in the world.
__________________
I loves me a Parti
14holestogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #32
357
Will herf for food
 
357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Mike
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,895
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a glorious beacon of light357 is a glorious beacon of light357 is a glorious beacon of light357 is a glorious beacon of light357 is a glorious beacon of light357 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: laptop monitor blacked out

Glad it worked for you Tim.
__________________
“Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar;” Mark Twain
357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.