Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #61
688sonarmen
Shipmate!
 
688sonarmen's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: Jake
Location: Ledyard, Ct
Posts: 2,694
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Re: Montegue Cabinet Humidor = AWESOME

Thanks man.I bought a Hydra but I'm not very happy with it. I unhooked it scooped out the green foam and currently thinking about what to do with it. I do want fans running but not 24/7 and I'm on the fence about putting beads in it or just leaving it empty.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #62
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?
 
waffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,195
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Montegue Cabinet Humidor = AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
Thanks man.I bought a Hydra but I'm not very happy with it. I unhooked it scooped out the green foam and currently thinking about what to do with it. I do want fans running but not 24/7 and I'm on the fence about putting beads in it or just leaving it empty.
I ditched the green foam in that bad boy and did this. Seems to rock it out pretty nice.
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #63
stewshi
Adjusting to the Life
 
stewshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 407
Trading: (23)
stewshi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Montegue Cabinet Humidor = AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
Thanks man.I bought a Hydra but I'm not very happy with it. I unhooked it scooped out the green foam and currently thinking about what to do with it. I do want fans running but not 24/7 and I'm on the fence about putting beads in it or just leaving it empty.
You should plug the cabinet into a timer you can get at wal mart or home depot and set it to go off every few hours just to circulate the air

Why were you unhappy about the Hydra?
stewshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:20 AM   #64
688sonarmen
Shipmate!
 
688sonarmen's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: Jake
Location: Ledyard, Ct
Posts: 2,694
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Re: Montegue Cabinet Humidor = AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewshi View Post
You should plug the cabinet into a timer you can get at wal mart or home depot and set it to go off every few hours just to circulate the air

Why were you unhappy about the Hydra?
That's a good idea, I will try that. Unhappy with it because the hygrometer even though it's adjustable is about 5 rh high at it's lowest setting. Plus my rh is still around 68% with 4 lbs of beads. That's not because of the hydra but I have calibrated both of my seperate rectangle hygrometers and sealed my humidor. I put a bag of beads in a ziplok bag with a hygrometer and they are at 73%, is it possible that the wrong beads were sent? I'm not sure what is going on but I need to remove rh at this point so the hydra is doing me no good.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #65
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?
 
waffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,195
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Montegue Cabinet Humidor = AWESOME

Do you have the fans plugged into the right spot on the hydra... there are 2 plugs and 1 runs constantly and the other only runs when the fans on the hydra are running.
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #66
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!
 
e-man67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: Eric
Posts: 1,479
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Montegue Cabinet Humidor = AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
That's a good idea, I will try that. Unhappy with it because the hygrometer even though it's adjustable is about 5 rh high at it's lowest setting. Plus my rh is still around 68% with 4 lbs of beads. That's not because of the hydra but I have calibrated both of my seperate rectangle hygrometers and sealed my humidor. I put a bag of beads in a ziplok bag with a hygrometer and they are at 73%, is it possible that the wrong beads were sent? I'm not sure what is going on but I need to remove rh at this point so the hydra is doing me no good.
What is wrong with 68%?
__________________
Big hairy Ape chuggin whiskey by the barrel full..making ladies cry!
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #67
joeobx
just playing in the storm
 
joeobx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
First Name: Joe
Location: Fredericksburg. VA VCM Country
Posts: 1,117
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Montegue Cabinet Humidor = AWESOME

I've got the same cabinet. I sealed the doors and drawer and I think I have 2 lbs of heartfelt beads in it (did the calculator and rounded up ) and if I wet 50-60 % of the beads it seems to hold at 65 -67 . I use a hygrometer from wally world that I've salt tested, I mark the corrected points on the front with a dry marker. Do you know for sure the beads you already had are 65% ? Try locking some of the new batch in a tupperware type container with your hygrometer over night and see what the reading is, do you still have the beads separate from the first ones you had, if so try 2 containers and compare. It could happen that they sent you the wrong beads.
__________________
it's all fun and games till the flying monkeys show up
joeobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #68
688sonarmen
Shipmate!
 
688sonarmen's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: Jake
Location: Ledyard, Ct
Posts: 2,694
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Re: Montegue Cabinet Humidor = AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle View Post
Do you have the fans plugged into the right spot on the hydra... there are 2 plugs and 1 runs constantly and the other only runs when the fans on the hydra are running.
Yeah, they are in the right spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
What is wrong with 68%?
I bought 65% beads to keep my cigars at 65%. I actually would like 63%, I find that cigars burn, smoke, and taste better at lower RH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeobx View Post
I've got the same cabinet. I sealed the doors and drawer and I think I have 2 lbs of heartfelt beads in it (did the calculator and rounded up ) and if I wet 50-60 % of the beads it seems to hold at 65 -67 . I use a hygrometer from wally world that I've salt tested, I mark the corrected points on the front with a dry marker. Do you know for sure the beads you already had are 65% ? Try locking some of the new batch in a tupperware type container with your hygrometer over night and see what the reading is, do you still have the beads separate from the first ones you had, if so try 2 containers and compare. It could happen that they sent you the wrong beads.
So I am testing my beads in a separate ziplock bag and after 24 hrs they are reading 71%. I dont have them separate but I know I bought 65%, the bag said 65% but they have behaved like 70%. I really don't want to think that I was sent the wrong beads but I have tried everything to disprove this. It really sucks cause I have yet to fully smoke several sticks I've been wanting to try since the wrappers need a lower RH, the Face that split on me made me realize this. I think I need to call heartfelt and see what can be done.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #69
joeobx
just playing in the storm
 
joeobx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
First Name: Joe
Location: Fredericksburg. VA VCM Country
Posts: 1,117
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Montegue Cabinet Humidor = AWESOME

How much of the beads are you wetting till there clear ?
__________________
it's all fun and games till the flying monkeys show up
joeobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #70
688sonarmen
Shipmate!
 
688sonarmen's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: Jake
Location: Ledyard, Ct
Posts: 2,694
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Re: Montegue Cabinet Humidor = AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeobx View Post
How much of the beads are you wetting till there clear ?
About 60% or so. I have not added water to them since I got them about 3 weeks ago. You said what I have been thinking since about the 3rd day I had them, that I might have been sent the wrong ones.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #71
joeobx
just playing in the storm
 
joeobx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
First Name: Joe
Location: Fredericksburg. VA VCM Country
Posts: 1,117
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Montegue Cabinet Humidor = AWESOME

It's a possibility, I'd give them a call and see what they have to say, but I know if wet a lot of the beads it will run up to about 68-69 so I only get about 50% wet then it will hang around 64-66
__________________
it's all fun and games till the flying monkeys show up
joeobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #72
688sonarmen
Shipmate!
 
688sonarmen's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: Jake
Location: Ledyard, Ct
Posts: 2,694
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Re: Montegue Cabinet Humidor = AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeobx View Post
It's a possibility, I'd give them a call and see what they have to say, but I know if wet a lot of the beads it will run up to about 68-69 so I only get about 50% wet then it will hang around 64-66
Ok, I'll try that. Thanks man
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #73
688sonarmen
Shipmate!
 
688sonarmen's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: Jake
Location: Ledyard, Ct
Posts: 2,694
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Re: Montegue Cabinet Humidor = AWESOME

Update. Contacted Heartfelt beads and got in touch with David. He replaced my beads and sent 65% beads within a week. My humidor is now rock solid from 62%-65% exactly where I wanted it and my cigars are smoking like a dream. I think it goes to show that it is totally worth the extra $ for a good humidor and proper RH material.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.