Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Angry H.R. 45 firearm registration bill

Aka, Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009”

My fellow inmates, it never seems to end does it? H.R. 45 has been created by Congressman Bobby Rush (D) Illinois, and reads something as follows:

To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes.

1/6/2009--Introduced.
Blair Holt’s Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to prohibit a person from possessing a firearm unless that person has been issued a firearm license under this Act or a state system certified under this Act and such license has not been invalidated or revoked. Prescribes license application, issuance, and renewal requirements. Prohibits transferring or receiving a qualifying firearm unless the recipient presents a valid firearms license, the license is verified, and the dealer records a tracking authorization number. Prescribes firearms transfer reporting and record keeping requirements. Directs the Attorney General to establish and maintain a federal record of sale system.
Prohibits:
(1) transferring a firearm to any person other than a licensee, unless the transfer is processed through a licensed dealer in accordance with national instant criminal background check system requirements, with exceptions; (I believe nowaday, most states, such as California et. al., require a person to go through a licensed dealer when selling a revolver, pistol, or rifle to another person. Is this not the current standard in your state?);
(2) a licensed manufacturer or dealer from failing to comply with reporting and record keeping requirements of this Act; (I believe manufacturers and dealers already have to comply as per their respective state DOJ and BATF. Why compound the issue?);
(3) failing to report the loss or theft of the firearm to the Attorney General within 72 hours; (Why? I’d probably file a claim with my insurance carrier though…);
(4) failing to report to the Attorney General an address change within 60 days; (Again, why?);
(5) keeping a loaded firearm, or an unloaded firearm and ammunition for the firearm, knowingly or recklessly disregarding the risk that a child is capable of gaining access, if a child uses the firearm and causes death or serious bodily injury. (I believe a number of sovereign states already have this paragraph covered); Prescribes criminal penalties for violations of firearms provisions covered by this Act.

Directs the Attorney General to:

(1) establish and maintain a firearm injury information clearinghouse; (Why? Doesn’t the FBI and BATF already have this covered?);

(2) conduct continuing studies and investigations of firearm-related deaths and injuries; (Again, why? Doesn’t the FBI and BATF already have this covered?); and

(3) collect and maintain current production and sales figures of each licensed manufacturer. (Why? Doesn’t the commerce department of each sovereign state usually perform this task, that we pay for?);

Authorizes the Attorney General to certify state firearm licensing or record of sale systems. (Why? That’s why each sovereign state has a DOJ and their own AG to oversee their own direction in this matter, without involvement from the Federal government);

What this basically equates to is a potentially universal NATIONAL FIREARMS REGISTRATION LAW funded by the burden of extra taxes that we do not need and will not accept.

We already have a successful system of background checks and registration in this country, and I feel we do not need a Federal system on top of the already existing state system currently in place. What say you?

BTW: If you're in disagreement with this bill, please feel free to contact your local Congressman or Senator to share your feelings

Old 02-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road
Default Re: H.R. 45 firearm registration bill

In GA you can sell a firearm face to face with no dealer or any "middle man". You do have to believe that person you sell to is a "good citizen" with no criminal history.

This bill is a bunch of crap... as if there isnt more important things to worry about sheesh. Just another power grab...
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrak View Post
This bill is a bunch of crap... as if there isnt more important things to worry about sheesh. Just another power grab...
I doubt you'd say the same thing if you lived in Philadelphia and you were a cop. I forget how many we've buried this year already, 3?
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

... and that is the fault of the gun? Or the criminal with the gun? Do you blame the car, or the drunk behind the wheel?

Dont limit MY rights because you think criminals will follow new gun laws, when they dont follow the ones on the books now.
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel View Post
I doubt you'd say the same thing if you lived in Philadelphia and you were a cop. I forget how many we've buried this year already, 3?
And this would help how? The bad guys aren't known for following the existing rules, why would they follow new ones?
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I think this bill is a bunch of BS.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
And this would help how? The bad guys aren't known for following the existing rules, why would they follow new ones?
Yes, I realize if you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns. It doesn't mean we have to make it easy for them to get them. If you choke off the easy supply, eventually things will begin to calm down.

And why is it a bad thing to report that your gun was lost or stolen? I don't see why anyone would balk at this, other than to cause trouble.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
And why is it a bad thing to report that your gun was lost or stolen? I don't see why anyone would balk at this, other than to cause trouble.
I think the main objection is that all of this stuff is covered by existing laws. Why should I have to jump through hoops to exercise my 2nd amendment rights?
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes, I realize if you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns. It doesn't mean we have to make it easy for them to get them. If you choke off the easy supply, eventually things will begin to calm down.
There is no choking off the "easy supply". We can't even keep drugs from crossing the borders.

Quote:
Suppose it gets stolen (say from a storage unit) and you don't find out until more than 72 hours later?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1903A1 View Post
There is no choking off the "easy supply". We can't even keep drugs from crossing the borders.
So you're ok with straw purchases than?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1903A1 View Post
Suppose it gets stolen (say from a storage unit) and you don't find out until more than 72 hours later?
It doesn't say the moment it gets stolen. It's when you find out about it.

Quote:
I think the main objection is that all of this stuff is covered by existing laws.
That I wasn't aware of.

Quote:
Why should I have to jump through hoops to exercise my 2nd amendment rights?
I'm all for your right to bear arms. I just don't think it should be easy for criminals to get guns.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #11
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

maybe I'm naive, but I fail to see how this makes it harder for criminals to get guns

I do, however, see how it makes it harder for honest citizens to get guns
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #12
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
maybe I'm naive, but I fail to see how this makes it harder for criminals to get guns

Amen
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:48 PM   #13
Ace$nyper

Quote:
Yea the cops are too busy shooting their dogs around Monkey county.
They just don't want to compete?

edit: the story
http://www.timesherald.com/articles/...a983617874.txt
Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #14
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post

There are over 20,000 firearm laws in this country now (Federal State and Local), and MOST are not enforced to their full extent due to criminal lawyers cutting deals regarding the possesion of handguns by those with felonies and other restrictions!

Adding this law is equivalent to creating a National Gun Registration, something the Nazi's did prior to taking over the government in Germany in the 1930's.

This law won't keep a criminal from procuring or carrying a handgun - but it will keep honest citizens from doing that.

That's my - YMMV!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 PM   #15
Starchild
SERENITY NOW!

First Name: Andre
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
Starchild will become famous soon enough

Well said
Starchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #16
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley00p View Post

Adding this law is equivalent to creating a National Gun Registration, something the Nazi's did prior to taking over the government in Germany in the 1930's.
That's my - YMMV!

And that my friend is what it is eventually all about, "National Gun Registration" for the eventual confiscation of your firearm.

Its not gonna be allowed to occur in my opinion period!!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #17
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I think this bill is a bunch of BS.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #18
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:

I'm all for your right to bear arms. I just don't think it should be easy for criminals to get guns.
ande passing laws does what for criminals? When did they start following laws?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #19
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road

The founding fathers of the U.S. Constitution would slap the sh*t out of Congressman Bobby Rush if they were still alive.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #20
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_s2k View Post
The founding fathers of the U.S. Constitution would slap the sh*t out of Congressman Bobby Rush if they were still alive.
I wish they could rise