Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Never had Ashton VSG or ESG (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27706)

jerseystepup 01-24-2010 03:51 PM

Never had Ashton VSG or ESG

I've never had an ashton VSG or ESG... My local B&M regularly stocks the VSG and occasionaly gets boxes of the ESG in... but everytime i go in my money ends up going towards something else... i here alot of talk about these lately... what am i missing?

RightAJ 01-24-2010 03:55 PM

Re: Never had

IMO? You're missing alot! These are one of the staples in high end NCs, and are comprable in quality to Padron Annis and Opus. They are strong smokes that are consistantly good. If you can find some with age, even better!

aj

Smokin Gator 01-24-2010 03:58 PM

I like the VSG and not so much the ESG. They both, typically, have great construction and burn. Both are a little one dimensional. I have had way more of the VSGs and you just know what you will get. A quality smoke at a decent price.

jerseystepup 01-24-2010 04:11 PM

These are made by fuente correct? As im slowly loosing taste for my NC's and gaining more repect for Cuban tobacco... my fuentes i still love... my opus, my anejo, and most of all my sungrowns.. Im thinking some VSG's may be just what i need.

JJG 01-24-2010 04:14 PM

I finally tried a VSG not too long ago and I wasn't that impressed. I expected it to taste more like a Fuente. They're not bad, just a little boring. I'd buy a Don Carlos or Opus instead.

DoctaJ 01-24-2010 04:37 PM

I have never had an ESG either...never could pull the trigger considering the price point.

As for the VSG, I had my 1st one last year. All I can say is, it is well worth the try :2. Amazing smoke with some good complexity.

papajohn67 01-24-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 733069)
I like the VSG and not so much the ESG. They both, typically, have great construction and burn. Both are a little one dimensional. I have had way more of the VSGs and you just know what you will get. A quality smoke at a decent price.

:tpd: on the ESG. Was a real disappointment.

bobarian 01-24-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papajohn67 (Post 733117)

:tpd: The VSG is a good smoke. Some nice skinny vitolas as well. ESG? Meh. :2

mariogolbee 01-24-2010 05:52 PM

Re: Never had Ashton VSG or ESG

First time I tried a VSG earlier in my cigar hobby I hated it. I recently revisited one and absolutely loved it. I enjoyed the ESG very very much. If you like Opus then you'll likely enjoy the ESG. The ESG was much like the Opus except it seemed richer. This makes sense considering it uses a sun grown version of the Opus wrapper.

SNKBYT 01-24-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 733069)

:tpd:agree

darkninja67 01-24-2010 06:19 PM

I am a huge fan of the ESG but the VSG is a better choice for most when you factor in price. I heard the VSGs get better with some age on them. Definitely try a VSG, you might like it a lot.

troutbreath 01-24-2010 06:25 PM

Love the VSG. Can't get enough. But, have never tried the ESG. Very pretty band.

kelmac07 01-24-2010 06:31 PM

VSG is the shiznit!! :tu

quantim0 01-24-2010 09:11 PM

I had a VSG a few weeks back and really enjoyed it.

The local b&m owner told me you need to smoke the ESG very slowly and with no distractions. Apparently he didn't do that for the first one he got and told the Ashton rep that it was not great and the rep gave him another and told him to smoke it slow. He said the complexity is hard to pick up if you aren't giving it your full attention, but if you put the work it, it's a fantastic stick.

Robert Mabona 01-24-2010 09:18 PM

ashton "proper" sucks, across the board. spend your money on san cristobal. sorry rex, you're a great guy!

RichardW 01-24-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papajohn67 (Post 733117)

:tpd: The ESGs are way more money than what they are worth. The VSGs, however, are a well made, complex cigar. Not cheap, but worth trying a few. :ss

eber 01-24-2010 10:26 PM

my limited experience with the VSG is that they are good cigars with great construction but IMHO not worth the price tag, I found them a little one dimensional but an enjoyable smoke none the less. That being said I have not been fond of the fuentes that I have smoked including different hemingways nat and mad, opus and a queen B SG. I just picked up an Anejo 50 maduro that I am letting rest. fingers crossed. just my :2

ScottishSmoker 01-24-2010 10:44 PM

About 6 years ago, the VSG was nothing but pure power and spice...very full-bodied. Honestly, today, I would invest my money elsewhere...the VSG still has a good flavor, great construction, and beautiful burn...but nowhere near the strength and spice of years past....I miss the really good VSGs...

Goldie 01-24-2010 11:26 PM

I prefer any of the VSG's over the ESG's. I only had one of the ESG's so maybe I just had a bad one. but that's just my opinion.

Kreth 01-24-2010 11:33 PM

I picked up a VSG Illusion last spring when Taboo had a sale on premium singles. It was pretty tasty. A bit pricy for my budget, but I'd grab another for a treat.
Posted via Mobile Device