Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   The Great White Hunter? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14638)

14holestogie 04-26-2009 05:06 PM

The Great White Hunter?

So, I live on the 14th hole of my local golf club which has a large water hazard bordering 2 holes. While a great place to collect balls, in the last year or so, the banks have begun caving in many different places. Muskrats are the cause, and I am (or thought I was) the solution. The first couple of times I saw them swimming out there, I took the only weapon I had which was a pellet gun. They are some tough skinned bastages and all they'd do was give me a WTF look after plunking them. So I wised up and borrowed the BIL .22. Managed to get a couple of the critters last year while they were cavorting on the ice just before it all melted. Problem solved for all of last year.

This year, I've seen another (and the guy who sets the tees in the morning says he's seen two). I've gotten one shot off at one of them from about 80 yards when he presented me with the tiny target of himself swimming and I haven't seen them since (except about an hour after the first shot after I'd replaced the gun with a ball retriever, at which time I'm sure the bastage just smirked at me). Alright, I'll be persistant and get the bastages sometime later this year (I hope).

So this morning, I noticed a couple holes in the lawn heading under the deck which I recognize as ground squirrel burrows (kind of a cross between a small rat, squirrel, mole, chipmunk). I've had success with them in the past with mouse and rat traps, so I set up a rat trap with some thistle seed. Check the traps and an hour later the seed is gone and the trap is not sprung. I assume the critter is either too small to trip the rat trap and just licked the damn seed off. I wised up and placed some peanut butter and thistle seed to the rat trap, and being the smart guy I am, also set a much smaller mouse trap with the same concoction. Bastages can't outsmart an intelligent guy like me.

Not an hour later, I check the rat trap and nothing, still set and waiting. I decide to scope out the mouse trap, and the sum***** is gone. I know it won't fit down the burrow hole, but I can't locate the damn thing anywhere.

So I've now got some muskrats that have no respect for my hunting abilities and one p.o.-ed ground squirrel I am sure is planning his vengeance.

I am so screwed. :D

G G 04-26-2009 05:09 PM

Re: The Gerat White Hunter?

Muskrats-groundsquirells 4

Tim 0

hahahahah

WildBlueSooner 04-26-2009 05:20 PM

:r That story is hilarious! I have faith that you will eventually get revenge!

taltos 04-26-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14holestogie (Post 357040)
So, I live on the 14th hole of my local golf club which has a large water hazard bordering 2 holes. While a great place to collect balls, in the last year or so, the banks have begun caving in many different places. Muskrats are the cause, and I am (or thought I was) the solution. The first couple of times I saw them swimming out there, I took the only weapon I had which was a pellet gun. They are some tough skinned bastages and all they'd do was give me a WTF look after plunking them. So I wised up and borrowed the BIL .22. Managed to get a couple of the critters last year while they were cavorting on the ice just before it all melted. Problem solved for all of last year.

This year, I've seen another (and the guy who sets the tees in the morning says he's seen two). I've gotten one shot off at one of them from about 80 yards when he presented me with the tiny target of himself swimming and I haven't seen them since (except about an hour after the first shot after I'd replaced the gun with a ball retriever, at which time I'm sure the bastage just smirked at me). Alright, I'll be persistant and get the bastages sometime later this year (I hope).

So this morning, I noticed a couple holes in the lawn heading under the deck which I recognize as ground squirrel burrows (kind of a cross between a small rat, squirrel, mole, chipmunk). I've had success with them in the past with mouse and rat traps, so I set up a rat trap with some thistle seed. Check the traps and an hour later the seed is gone and the trap is not sprung. I assume the critter is either too small to trip the rat trap and just licked the damn seed off. I wised up and placed some peanut butter and thistle seed to the rat trap, and being the smart guy I am, also set a much smaller mouse trap with the same concoction. Bastages can't outsmart an intelligent guy like me.

Not an hour later, I check the rat trap and nothing, still set and waiting. I decide to scope out the mouse trap, and the sum***** is gone. I know it won't fit down the burrow hole, but I can't locate the damn thing anywhere.

So I've now got some muskrats that have no respect for my hunting abilities and one p.o.-ed ground squirrel I am sure is planning his vengeance.

I am so screwed. :D

Reruns of Caddy Shack are playing in my mind.:r:r

14holestogie 04-26-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taltos (Post 357082)

It's playing live in my backyard! :D

Kwilkinson 04-26-2009 05:50 PM

This cracked me up.

TripleF 04-26-2009 06:23 PM

:r :r

Skywalker 04-26-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

http://popwatch.ew.com/photos/uncate...4122__cs_l.jpg:r

DPD6030 04-26-2009 07:58 PM

You got a cheap scope on the .22 Tim, if not it may improve your odds. :tu

lightning9191 04-26-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

That's exactly what I was thinking.

14holestogie 04-27-2009 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPD6030 (Post 357321)
You got a cheap scope on the .22 Tim, if not it may improve your odds. :tu

It does have a scope and I was certain I hit the critter, but probably not a kill shot. Got a "skrat call" you could teach me? :D

dunng 04-27-2009 05:58 AM

Got any dynamite? :D

RevSmoke 04-27-2009 08:26 AM

Re: The Great White Hunter?

Tim, you want to borrow Mocha for a week?

(for those who do not know, Mocha is our dog - and we live appr. 4 miles from Tim)

14holestogie 04-27-2009 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevSmoke (Post 357854)
Tim, you want to borrow Mocha for a week?

(for those who do not know, Mocha is our dog - and we live appr. 4 miles from Tim)

Is Mocha a mouser? I don't need a retriever. :D

DPD6030 04-27-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14holestogie (Post 357673)
It does have a scope and I was certain I hit the critter, but probably not a kill shot. Got a "skrat call" you could teach me? :D

Here skrat skrat skrat, here skrat skrat skrat :D Maybe an upgrade to a .22 mag. would do the trick

14holestogie 04-27-2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPD6030 (Post 357907)
Here skrat skrat skrat, here skrat skrat skrat :D Maybe an upgrade to a .22 mag. would do the trick

I'll try that call. Not real confident, though. :D

.22 hollow points will do the trick, if the bastages ever show! :mad:

ahc4353 04-27-2009 09:02 AM

Tim's theme song. http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2031/linknd8.gif

14holestogie 04-27-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahc4353 (Post 357918)

Thanks, Al. Now they got names.

That'll make it harder to end their whirling and twirling with my muzzle (NOT)!

:r:r:r

DPD6030 04-27-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14holestogie (Post 357915)
I'll try that call. Not real confident, though. :D

.22 hollow points will do the trick, if the bastages ever show! :mad:

Headshots enough said!

ahc4353 04-27-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPD6030 (Post 357930)
Headshots enough said!

You ASSUME he can shoot. :D