PDA

View Full Version : Buying used humidors?

aodfan
07-08-2014, 12:06 PM
Hello,

I did a couple of searches but did not find what I was looking for. I am wondering if it is a good idea to buy a used humidor or just buy new? I am kind of weary of buying a used on ebay and what I should look for. This being a new adventure, I don't really want to splurge a lot, if you know what I mean.

Thanks

markem
07-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Buying a used humidor is like buying a used car. If you can't inspect it and judge its condition (or have someone you trust inspect it) then you may not get what you want. Same is true for new, but new ones often can be exchanged if the humidor isn't in good shape.

Zane
07-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Mark has good points. One thing to remember is once you get it to let it season. Who knows what conditions its been stored in.

stearns
07-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Inspect first :tu

I'd check out craigslist if you're set on buying used, there are oodles of them everywhere. At least that way you can go pick it up and make sure that it is what you think it is

bobarian
07-08-2014, 12:26 PM
I would not buy from Ebay, mostly cheap Chinese products. Craiglist sellers tend to overprice humidors for the most part. You'll find a lot of $50 humidors priced for $100. Lots of good new products from reputable vendors. :2

icehog3
07-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Many of us have had good luck with cheaphumidors.com.

czerbe
07-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Check, check, and re-check, there is alot more then just the shiny outside... I'm looking at buying a wineador and I'm going over everything with a fine tooth comb

Brlesq
07-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Like others have said above, inspection is a must. I bought a 300 count small tower from Craigslist a couple years ago. Before I met the guy I asked if it was only used to store cigars, and he said yes, so I met the seller in a public place. Cosmetically it was fine, but the "sniff test" discovered that it had a strong odor of infused cigars. The seller then admitted that it had only been used for infused cigars and aromatic pipe tobacco. That really wasn't what I was looking for, but he then offered it so cheaply that I decided to buy it and see if I could deodorize it. Every method failed, so I re-purposed and now keep my own infused cigars in it. But personal inspection is the key to success on buying used humidors.

Sweet_Leaf_PDX
07-08-2014, 02:40 PM
I've seen some good humidors on craigslist but you have to hunt. I would check with your local B&Ms to see if they sell used humidors too.

badbriar
07-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Cuban Crafters has great prices as does Overstock.com :tu

OLS
07-08-2014, 04:36 PM
I think that this question misses a very important point that seems simple to me. You are a part of the world's finest cigar
board. All you have to do is post a thread in WTB or surf the WTS (want to sell) threads for a humidor. I doubt anyone
on this board would try to sell you a bad humidor, most would convert it to a document box or something instead. I have
several humidors on hand that I would sell, although I never thought of it much owing to the cost of shipping large items.
And I do not mean to seem snarky or anything, just trying to emphasize what everyone here learns soon enough; that you
have a wonderful resource here, and it would be smart to use it as often as you can. I had two gray ink cartridges for my
Canon printer that I bought in a moment of doofus. I just put up a thread offering to send them free to anyone who could
use them and they were gone in days. This forum is woefully slow in a lot of areas, but not because the people here are not
top notch. Stuff that happens elsewhere is effectively stopped here. There's a reason they call it the Asylum. Its a safe haven.

mjdx88
07-08-2014, 04:41 PM
OLS has a solid point, I purchased a great used Humi from one of the older forums when it was still alive and it was the best purchase I have made in the cigar world. I still kick myself for selling it.

If you are buying from craigslist make sure to inspect everything....also see how long it has sat empty if at all. A co-worker gave me is old humi, I started to season it and I guess it was cheap and too dried out, the sides literally split.

ApexAZ
07-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Don't get glass. I like Craftsmans Bench and Savoy.

AdamJoshua
07-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Seeing as you are brand new, the wtb and wts threads might take a bit to open up to you, after time "doors will open", but until then I would listen to the gentleman above and welcome to the Asylum!

mosesbotbol
07-09-2014, 05:27 AM
I'd buy used only if you want a fancy humidor that would be out of your price range or fancy some kind of antique.

aodfan
07-09-2014, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. After some research, I think for now I am going to go with the Tupperdor approach for now.

jsnake
07-09-2014, 12:37 PM
I would avoid ebay and check craigslist. You need to see the condition and see if it seals properly. Dollar test is easy. There are some great online retailers with great prices. I love supporting my B&M but humidor prices in store are usually insane though you can find some deals. Also post up a wanted to buy post. Forum brothers are usually straight forward and trustworthy and will help you out.

DAFU
07-09-2014, 05:52 PM
If you're just looking for a cheaper, functional humi I'd agree with some place like cheaphumidors.com. That being said I did buy a very nice used, solid walnut humi on E-Bay, but it's not often you'd find something like that.

mosesbotbol
07-10-2014, 05:16 AM
I would avoid ebay and check craigslist.

Craigslist is a great option if you can find something of interest. Nothing like seeing something in person before buying. I have bought several cigar accessories on CL over the years. A few of which I have flipped and made a few bucks. -(P