PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5

Pages : [1] 2

emopunker2004
08-05-2012, 03:31 AM
Well looks like the rumored release date is Sept 12 with an on sale date of Sep 21. Here's the latest update I've found:

" More leaks on what we can expect from the new iPhone 5 have emerged, but this time we have measurements down to the last millimetre.

According to Etrade, which conducted a comparison between the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 recording it on video, the new iPhone 5’s screen will be scratch resistant.

Scraping a set of keys repeatedly over both the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5’s display, the latter was left without a mark, while the iPhone 4S had visible scratches.

Back to the specifics of the iPhone 5’s front display and the panel is reported to measure 4.065-inches (we told you they were "specific"), but is in fact 0.1mm thinner than its predecessor.

The home button has also been slightly reduced, measuring 0.3mm, while the surrounding area has been reduced from 18mm to 15.4mm. The top area of the phone is also noticeably smaller than the iPhone 4S."

Source: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/46791/iphone-five-front-panel-specifics-revealed

longknocker
08-05-2012, 04:13 AM
:banger I'm Getting One! My Current One Is A 3G, Still Works, But It's As Slow As Christmas!:r

emopunker2004
08-05-2012, 04:16 AM
:r
I'm not getting one. BUT I hope it drives the 4s Price down $50 or so by the start of Oct when I can get my upgrade :D

Drez
08-05-2012, 04:18 AM
im happy with my 4s. its treated me good for almost a year :tu

Malakai
08-05-2012, 05:51 AM
Me too happy with my 4S. Won't be getting the 5.

emopunker2004
08-05-2012, 06:06 AM
I'd love to get the 5 but I wouldnt get it until a few months later when the bugs are worked out. But who knows I may change my mind.

Don Fernando
08-05-2012, 06:10 AM
well, I'm gonna get a company iPhone somewhere october of november, so with a bit of luck it will be a 5

Taki
08-05-2012, 06:30 AM
I am pretty excited for the 5 however I am sick of waiting!! :r
Me and the wife are most likely going to each get one however I know this release date is getting crazy, keeps changing and I hope you right with the September release date, I have heard that they are still making changes and whatnot to the phone so they were shooting for Nov-December (basically for Christmas) but then I also heard that if all the kinks (which there are always kinks) are not worked out by Nov that they will push it back to January!!

Anyway can't wait to get one, everything else I own is apple, why not a phone!!!

mosesbotbol
08-05-2012, 07:02 AM
The connector is supposed to have few pins than the original and will make all current iPhone gadgets obsolete.

MurphysLaw
08-05-2012, 07:34 AM
I'll pre-order just like I did with my iPhone 4. I've had the phone since the day before the launch and never had any trouble with it.

King James
08-05-2012, 07:54 AM
The connector is supposed to have few pins than the original and will make all current iPhone gadgets obsolete.

Not necessarily. I wouldn't be surprised if they made some sort of an adapter like they did for the redesigned MaSafe chargers. Either way, Apple has reached a point where they need the smaller connecter in order to have space for other things inside the phone, or to just keep it thin.

Although they are still rumors, usually the rumors become fairly accurate as Apple gets closer to releasing new products. If the "leaked" images and video of the iPhone 5 (or the 3d models that were made) are accurate, then I'm pretty excited for the release.

jluck
08-05-2012, 08:14 AM

This article shows the new connector, I am pretty sure this is done intentional, the cattle will re-spend to get all the accessories too. Even with an adapter, It will be on the phone side, Could you imagine how poorly it will fit a doc?:rolleyes::fp
I had the 3gs and went to HTC, The HTC is crap. I probably will get the 5 after the price comes down a bit as I don't have any accessories for a iphone currently.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/46781/iphone-5-pops-up-server-logs

kelmac07
08-05-2012, 08:18 AM
I won't be grabbing this one as I'm still very pleased with my 4S.

GreekGodX
08-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Been waiting since April to upgrade! My first iPhone :wo

irratebass
08-05-2012, 09:52 AM
My 4s is doing just fine and I am happy with it, won't get the 5 for another 2 years, but thanks for the info.

Skywalker
08-05-2012, 11:12 AM
I just got the 4S!!!:bh

emopunker2004
08-05-2012, 11:28 AM
The screens are already shipping to apple

GreekGodX
08-05-2012, 02:02 PM
I just got the 4S!!!:bh

I didn't want to make that mistake :sl

Smokin Gator
08-05-2012, 03:16 PM
I will definitely be getting a 5. My 4 has served me well... but it is time.

emopunker2004
08-05-2012, 03:34 PM
If I can get one before October 12th without jumping through hoops and the price is reasonable then I'll get the 5 over the 4s.

emopunker2004
08-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Hm Sprint has dropped the 4s price down to $150.

CigarNut
08-05-2012, 05:59 PM
I have an iPhone 4 and have been waiting 2+ years for this.

Blueface
08-05-2012, 06:04 PM
I am ready.
Can't wait.

King James
08-05-2012, 06:25 PM
I have an iPhone 4 and have been waiting 2+ years for this.

I decided not to upgrade from the 4 to the 4S so I've been waiting also. Now I have an upgrade available and am just waiting to get a pre-order in after they announce.

longknocker
08-05-2012, 06:50 PM
I didn't want to make that mistake :sl

I Heard Somewhere If You Bought The 4s, You Couldn't Upgrade Now To The "5"?:confused:

The Professor
08-05-2012, 07:23 PM
I decided not to upgrade from the 4 to the 4S so I've been waiting also. Now I have an upgrade available and am just waiting to get a pre-order in after they announce.
Me too too. As soon as it's announced, I'll be ordering two of them and listing my 32GB 4 on CL.

forgop
08-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Maybe they'll do something to improve the battery life in the new phone. The 4S battery life sucks.

emopunker2004
08-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Maybe they'll do something to improve the battery life in the new phone. The 4S battery life sucks.

Can't suck near as bad as the Evo 4g

MurphysLaw
08-05-2012, 07:53 PM
I Heard Somewhere If You Bought The 4s, You Couldn't Upgrade Now To The "5"?:confused:

Anyone can upgrade anytime they want, they just might not qualify for the subsidized price.

Ogre
08-05-2012, 08:01 PM
I am still carrying the 3. Always a step behind when it come to technology. I will upgrade to the 4S with my next upgrade. I will let you guys work the bugs out of the new stuff before I buy.

CigarNut
08-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Maybe they'll do something to improve the battery life in the new phone. The 4S battery life sucks.Turn off location services for all those apps that use it and turn off all those push notifications and you will be surprised with much better battery life.

GreekGodX
08-06-2012, 03:17 AM

Unless you sacrifice a lock of hair from your 2nd born child who must have been a female and give 3.4 oz of pure milk from your pet goat that must have been named "Cookie" :r

Blak Smyth
08-06-2012, 06:48 AM
I have the 4 and let the wife use my upgrade to get her a 4S since I am waiting for the 5. Can't wait for a bigger screen and better camera!!!

My 4 can go a few days without a charge.

CigarGuy88
08-06-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm not up for an upgrade until February of next year :/

King James
08-06-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm not up for an upgrade until February of next year :/

Is that your "early upgrade" date? Usually your contract is 2 years but they let you upgrade early after 18 mos.

mosesbotbol
08-06-2012, 08:17 AM
This article shows the new connector, I am pretty sure this is done intentional, the cattle will re-spend to get all the accessories too. Even with an adapter, It will be on the phone side, Could you imagine how poorly it will fit a doc?:rolleyes::fp

Yup, Apple fans are suckers with open wallets.

GreekGodX
08-06-2012, 08:36 AM

Come on Moses.. I love apple products and I'm not buying everything. My brother despises Apple but it seems like he is always ordering a new processor or upgrading something on his Windows based computer. Same can be said for us in the cigar world. Always willing to fork over the money for the new blend or the latest and greatest from whatever manufacturer. It is not only Apple fans.

King James
08-06-2012, 08:46 AM

So typical Apple. They have done these pointless changes in the past to nickel and dime everyone, like being first to get rid of floppy drives. Has nothing to do with changing technology ;)

Apple must be the first company ever to change connectors, too. Can you still use the Motorola Startac charger with the new Droid 4?

Changes in standards are always a pain, but sometimes are necessary. Can't reduce size and increase components without making changes. Apple has used the same connector for almost 10 years, maybe cut them a little break on this change.

forgop
08-06-2012, 09:22 AM
My 4 can go a few days without a charge.

Mine would too if I never used it for calls, email, or surfing the net.

mosesbotbol
08-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Come on Moses.. I love apple products and I'm not buying everything. My brother despises Apple but it seems like he is always ordering a new processor or upgrading something on his Windows based computer. Same can be said for us in the cigar world. Always willing to fork over the money for the new blend or the latest and greatest from whatever manufacturer. It is not only Apple fans.

Upgrading hardware for performance and being mandated to adopt to new standards are two different things. I despise Apple, but was one of the first to have an iPhone and still using the 1st gen. phone!

Who am I to knock what they are doing. They are way more successful than I could ever dream of being, but to think of hassle users will go through with the new adapter is sad. Think of car manufacturers that have the current adapter built-in like BMW and Jaguar (I sure there more than that). How is an inline converter going to work even if that's an option?

CigarGuy88
08-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Is that your "early upgrade" date? Usually your contract is 2 years but they let you upgrade early after 18 mos.

Yup :fp

King James
08-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Upgrading hardware for performance and being mandated to adopt to new standards are two different things.

It seems that they are changing the dock connector standard in order to further upgrade the hardware.

Standards change, it always sucks at first. VCR to DVD, or DVD to Blu Ray made everyone that wanted to adopt the new technology go purchase new equipment. Apple has used the same standard for 10 years, and will likely make an adaptor so people don't get completely screwed over. Will it be ideal, no, but at least its an option.

Apple can use some tricks to get people to buy new stuff every year by making small incremental changes. This, however, doesn't seem like one of them IMO.

mosesbotbol
08-06-2012, 11:03 AM
It seems that they are changing the dock connector standard in order to further upgrade the hardware.

Standards change, it always sucks at first. VCR to DVD, or DVD to Blu Ray made everyone that wanted to adopt the new technology go purchase new equipment. Apple has used the same standard for 10 years, and will likely make an adaptor so people don't get completely screwed over. Will it be ideal, no, but at least its an option.

Apple can use some tricks to get people to buy new stuff every year by making small incremental changes. This, however, doesn't seem like one of them IMO.

I disagree on this. Just like when Apple went from the mini headphone plug in the first iphone to the regular one after which.

We are not talking about a new format (which is the device itself which uses the same cords as the older technology). What they are doing is making a change to force buyers to get new accessories in addition to the phone. No one was forced to buy a new tv or stereo because the moved from vhs to dvd.

King James
08-06-2012, 11:29 AM
I disagree on this. Just like when Apple went from the mini headphone plug in the first iphone to the regular one after which.

We are not talking about a new format (which is the device itself which uses the same cords as the older technology). What they are doing is making a change to force buyers to get new accessories in addition to the phone. No one was forced to buy a new tv or stereo because the moved from vhs to dvd.

It was more of an example of changing standards than a direct comparison. You did need to buy a new player to use on a TV, but I only give the example to use as a somewhat comparable illustration of frustration with new standards.

We may have to agree to disagree, but my point is that the standard has been used for 10 years, its not as if they switch connectors every other year. And in this case, they likely need the switch to make room for upgrades within the phone. It sucks that people will have to either use the adaptor or buy new equipment, but the change was needed. Like I said, I do agree that Apple can sometimes use shady tactics with small, incremental upgrades to get people to buy new versions of products.

Also, lets wait and see what changes actually occur and what the adaptor looks like and how it functions (if it even exists) before we really can have a good debate about it lol.

Sauer Grapes
08-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Upgrading hardware for performance and being mandated to adopt to new standards are two different things. I despise Apple, but was one of the first to have an iPhone and still using the 1st gen. phone!

Who am I to knock what they are doing. They are way more successful than I could ever dream of being, but to think of hassle users will go through with the new adapter is sad. Think of car manufacturers that have the current adapter built-in like BMW and Jaguar (I sure there more than that). How is an inline converter going to work even if that's an option?

Having to use an adapter in a car will definitely be a pain since some have them built in. I'm glad that mine just has a USB port (I know that both Ford and Honda do that). In my case, all I'll need is the USB cord that Apple provides. Of course, this means that I'll probably have to buy an extra to leave in the car.

My only concern is whether or not my stereo will need a software upgrade to work with the new iphone. Of course, that really isn't Apple's fault and it's not iPhone specific by any means.

Wanger
08-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Looking forward to getting a 5. I've had my 4 for 2 years now, and I've been happy with it. Didn't want to 4s, since it really didn't seem like much of an ugrade, to me. Will definitely like a better camera in it (not that the one in the 4 was all that horrible), too.

As for the new pin configuration...whatever. It wouldn't be a big deal to me to have to get an adapter. The only place I have a built in dock is my stereo, anwway, and I don't use my phone on that. I use an iPod Classic (more music on it). Anything else would use cords. Won't likely ever get a car that would have a specific dock for a particular piece of equipment already in place. And if I did, I'm sure that the car manufacturer, or someone else would make an adapter that fit within the framework of the dock that was there, allowing it to dock in at least a similar manner.

emopunker2004
08-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Well looks like we shall be going to sprint and ugrading early and getting a pair or 4s's :tu

Montano
08-06-2012, 05:13 PM
I passed on the 4S, since my 4 is working perfectly. All I need is a bigger screen and I'm happy :)

jluck
08-06-2012, 05:43 PM
But...but...but what about the iphone 5....S! That should be way mor gooder:rolleyes:

King James
08-06-2012, 05:46 PM
I passed on the 4S, since my 4 is working perfectly. All I need is a bigger screen and I'm happy :)

Assuming the rumors are true, I may actually miss the smaller screen. I like being able to comfortably reach the entire screen with just my thumb when using the phone with one hand.

Fia
08-06-2012, 06:03 PM
I will definitely be getting a 5. My 4 has served me well... but it is time.

ditto..Ill probably wait a month or so just in case there are any bugs.:tu

jjmitchem
08-06-2012, 08:43 PM
I'll let my wife upgrade first so I can see if I want one :)

Boz
08-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Man I hope it's released soon. I'm still rocking the 3gs and it works just fine but it's getting slow and I'm just ready for something new.

Edit: Hey look, 1000th post :wo

Blak Smyth
08-07-2012, 05:38 AM

I agree Nick, that and a better camera.

emopunker2004
08-07-2012, 05:42 AM
From the pictures i've seen the 4s seems to have a pretty darn good camera for a phone.

Also, I believe iOS6 will be out this fall for the 4 and 4s and the 3gs will get some of the goodies from iOS6 as well.

Blak Smyth
08-07-2012, 05:43 AM
From the pictures i've seen the 4s seems to have a pretty darn good camera for a phone

Yah my wife has one, it blows away my 4. I think the 4S is 8mp compared to the 4 that is closer to 5mp.
I still expect the 5 to be better though, theres talk about Apple using Sony lens parts. Not sure if this is good or bad.

emopunker2004
08-07-2012, 05:45 AM
Yes I believe the 4 had a 5mp =/

Hopefully going to own a 4s here in a few hrs

Blak Smyth
08-07-2012, 05:57 AM
Yes I believe the 4 had a 5mp =/

Hopefully going to own a 4s here in a few hrs

It takes great pics and has Siri, thats the only advantage I see over the 4, comparing my 4 to my wifes 4S.

emopunker2004
08-07-2012, 10:29 AM
:wo
I now have a white iPhone 4S and the wife has the same in black. We also picked up a pair of lifeproof cases as well :banger

Digs
08-07-2012, 10:34 AM
It takes great pics and has Siri, thats the only advantage I see over the 4, comparing my 4 to my wifes 4S.

My 4 has siri, why dont we just jail break it and you will have it :sh

longknocker
08-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Will The Larger "5" Fit In A Shirt Pocket?

CigarNut
08-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Will The Larger "5" Fit In A Shirt Pocket?
Yes -- it is a diagonal measurement -- the same way that they measure TV and computer screens.

longknocker
08-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Yes -- it is a diagonal measurement -- the same way that they measure TV and computer screens.

:tu

Sumatra Samurai
08-07-2012, 01:35 PM
I can't wait! I have the 4S but just love getting new Apple stuff. Besides, they're practically free, I sell my old iPhone on ebay for more than a new one costs every time (just gotta make sure to keep it in good condition).

I suppose I'm most excited for 4G LTE

Blak Smyth
08-07-2012, 02:28 PM
It appears there is really no "concrete" evidence of what the phone will be called or what features it will offer. iOS6 will be the operating system though, and they did away with Google Maps and the Youtube App. Pictures have leaked and appear to be longer than the iPhone4S. Everything is still rumors as far as I can tell and Apple has no comment on the matter. They are saying they should release a new phone by the end of fall. The connector appears smaller, the headphone jack appears to have been relocated. Anybody have any substantial evidence of anything further?

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Technology/ht_9to5macblackandwhite_iphone5_jt_120601_wg.jpg (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/iphone-rumor-guide-features-release-date-wait-newest/story?id=16905506)

I also found this:
"The iPhone 5 display measures 90.25mm in height and 51.60mm in width and would thus be larger than the display of the iPhone 4S. The display of the previous model was 76.65mm and 51.60mm wide. This could mean that instead of the current iOS, which features four rows of apps on the home screen, five rows may be available iOS6." (http://www.examiner.com/article/iphone-5-update-new-details-about-the-iphone-5-may-be-confirmed-video)

"Further differences of the iPhone 5 in comparison to the iPhone 4S, are the camera position and the size of the home button area. The front camera and the associated light sensor migrate to the middle of the upper edge of the screen. The camera as well as the home button are slightly smaller than its predecessor."

"But not only the size will change, but the new In-Cell technology makes the display a bit thinner, which provides more space for a larger battery."

Blak Smyth
08-07-2012, 02:45 PM
A speculation to the look based off of "leaked" photos and rumors:
http://cdn1.mos.techradar.com///art/mobile_phones/iPhone/iPhone%205/Concept-TechRadar/iPhone5_05_concept-580-75.jpg (http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/new-iphone-5-release-date-news-and-rumours-721534)

iPhone 4 compared to "Leaked" iPhone5:
http://cdn1.mos.techradar.com//art/mobile_phones/iPhone/iPhone%205/leaks/iphone5_Kitguru-580-100.jpg

Newer pics leaked:
http://cdn1.mos.techradar.com///art/mobile_phones/iPhone/iPhone%205/leaks/iPhone5_02_FullCase-580-75.jpg
http://cdn4.mos.techradar.com//art/mobile_phones/iPhone/iPhone%205/leaks/iPhone5_01_FullCase-580-90.jpg (http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/images-of-fully-assembled-iphone-5-leaked-1090470)

emopunker2004
08-07-2012, 03:08 PM
I used to think the iphone was all hype. Now I get it. My new 4s seems much more refined than my evo was, all the way down to the accuracy of the touch screen.

Blak Smyth
08-08-2012, 05:29 AM
I used to think the iphone was all hype. Now I get it. My new 4s seems much more refined than my evo was, all the way down to the accuracy of the touch screen.

Welcome! Glad to see you can feel the improvements already!

rizzle
08-13-2012, 10:25 AM
So you won't be able to see things on Youtube on the new phone?

Blak Smyth
08-13-2012, 10:52 AM
So you won't be able to see things on Youtube on the new phone?

It sounds like you will have to go onto the web to access it, there will not be a preloaded app for youtube. I do this now anyway since the site works better than the current app. Still speculation of course.

King James
08-13-2012, 11:02 AM
It sounds like you will have to go onto the web to access it, there will not be a preloaded app for youtube. I do this now anyway since the site works better than the current app. Still speculation of course.

Google will likely create their own app and release it in the app store, maybe even by the time iOS 6 launches

Blak Smyth
08-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Google will likely create their own app and release it in the app store, maybe even by the time iOS 6 launches

:tu

Hem
08-13-2012, 12:22 PM
I've been waiting for this for a long time (Had the 3G and let my contract run out rather than pick up a phone and get sucked into another 2 year deal). So for now I just have my work phone and my home phone line. The wife has the 4S which hasn't impressed me. Siri still needs a LOT of work and was not worth an upgrade for the mini bump in speed. I will be comparing the iPhone5 to the Samsung Galaxy SIII and picking the better of the two when the results finally come out. This has taken...well..forever for me.

rizzle
08-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Gotcha. Thanks.

I have an android device, which is my first smartphone, and I'm thinking about getting the new iphone when it comes out. There's just so much bluster that comes from each "side" of the apple/droid debate that it drives me freaking crazy.

emopunker2004
08-13-2012, 02:02 PM
I just upgraded to the iphone 4s after having an evo 4g. This phone blows the evo away. I find apple products to be more refined.

Blak Smyth
08-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Gotcha. Thanks.

I have an android device, which is my first smartphone, and I'm thinking about getting the new iphone when it comes out. There's just so much bluster that comes from each "side" of the apple/droid debate that it drives me freaking crazy.

My personal phone is an iPhone and my work phone is an HTC.
I really do not even need to have a personal phone but I pay for it because I prefer the iPhone that much more over my HTC desire.

emopunker2004
08-13-2012, 02:10 PM
New "leak". The motherboard
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/46888/iphone-five-motherboard-photos-spotted

DPD6030
08-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Might be upgrading as I have that through AT&T and I am due for one. I also have the 3Gs.

emopunker2004
08-13-2012, 03:45 PM
:tu Andrew.

Only thing to me about the 5 is it's too big. I love the size of the 4s

Blak Smyth
08-14-2012, 05:20 AM
:tu Andrew.

Only thing to me about the 5 is it's too big. I love the size of the 4s

I want bigger. I wish it was going to be wider as well as longer but it appears it will just be longer. If you like the 4S size you are lucky as they are much cheaper. I really want to get a bigger phone.

CigarNut
08-14-2012, 06:48 AM
I want bigger. I wish it was going to be wider as well as longer but it appears it will just be longer. If you like the 4S size you are lucky as they are much cheaper. I really want to get a bigger phone.It will be (a little) wider as well.

Blak Smyth
08-14-2012, 06:49 AM
It will be (a little) wider as well.

I hope so, the leaked photos are basically the same width and just longer.

CigarNut
08-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Here is one mock-up photo that shows a comparsion -- I also read a review that had more details on the dimensions but I can't find the site right now.

http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Iphone_5_compare.jpeg

Blak Smyth
08-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Here is one mock-up photo that shows a comparsion -- I also read a review that had more details on the dimensions but I can't find the site right now.

http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Iphone_5_compare.jpeg

I am pretty sure that is not a valid mock up. Everything is still speculation at this point but I have seen the pics of the 5 with an extra row of apps, making it longer in shape. I am guessing that the case will be much longer than the 4. The mock up you showed appears to be almost the same case but a bigger screen.

It is kinda fun speculating about what it will look like, I just hope it is not dissapointing.

Here is a leaked photo that shows them side by side, of course this all could be faked:
http://cdn1.mos.techradar.com//art/mobile_phones/iPhone/iPhone%205/leaks/iphone5_Kitguru-580-100.jpg

emopunker2004
08-14-2012, 09:55 AM
I agree with shane. The newest leaks have the 5 being the same width but longer and being able to hols 5 rows of apps instead of 4.

emopunker2004
08-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Newest update

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/46891/iphone-five-pre-orders-from-september-twelfth

CigarNut
08-14-2012, 11:07 AM
I read that the current iPhone (4s) is 2.31" x 4.5" and that the new one will be 4.7" x 2.6". I found this when I stumbled on a site that discussed cases for the new iPhone.

Blak Smyth
08-14-2012, 11:11 AM
I read that the current iPhone (4s) is 2.31" x 4.5" and that the new one will be 4.7" x 2.6". I found this when I stumbled on a site that discussed cases for the new iPhone.

I saw some specs somewhere too but I don't think anything is official yet. I think those measurments sound good to me though!

emopunker2004
08-14-2012, 11:26 AM
here's the glass for both the 4s and 5
with specs
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/46891/iphone-five-pre-orders-from-september-twelfth

DPD6030
09-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Doubt I'll get the 5 but hoping the 4/4s comes down in price.

CigarNut
09-01-2012, 09:31 AM
I am going to have a nearly new (< 3 months old) 4 available :D

Steelerfanatic
09-01-2012, 11:39 AM
If anybody has a sprint 4 in white they are going to sell/ trade when the new one comes out please let me know.

emopunker2004
09-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Doubt I'll get the 5 but hoping the 4/4s comes down in price.

The 8gb 4 is down to $99 and the 16gb 4s is at $149 on Sprint currently

Louistogies
09-01-2012, 08:37 PM
I've had a prepaid phone for the last two years. I'm looking forwards to have the latest tech for once.

bonjing
09-12-2012, 11:28 AM
So today is the day. What say the mass?

aich75013
09-12-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm watching Engadget's blog about the announcement right now.
4G LTE, 4" display, thinner, etc.

longknocker
09-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Price?

bonjing
09-12-2012, 11:42 AM
listening to it on Cnet, or trying to, can't focus on it too much. Nothing to impressive so far.

Adrian Cnet said they kind of dodged the battery life on 4g talk time. They did mention 4g browsing is about 8hrs

aich75013
09-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Yes. 3G talk, 3G browsing and 4G browsing are 8 hrs.
Wifi browsing and watching video are 10 hrs.
Music 40
Standy 225

aich75013
09-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Pricing (with contract):
16GB $199
32GB $299
64GB $399

Pre-order the 14th. Shipping starts the 21st.

4 Free w/ contract
4S $99 w/ contract

mithrilG60
09-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Watched the event, pretty much a yawn. The days of revolutionary launches with the iPhone/iPad/iPod are behind us. All 3 are mature products so the version changes will now be evolutionary instead to ensure the brand and revenue streams remain unruffled.

Big upgrade from a 3Gs, decent enough from a 4, certainly not worth it if you have a 4s....

DPD6030
09-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Most likely going to upgrade from the 3gs to the 5 since the 5 is $199 for the 16gb and that's all I really need.

chaase321
09-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Most likely going to upgrade from the 3gs to the 5 since the 5 is $199 for the 16gb and that's all I really need.

This ^ but not until December.

Blak Smyth
09-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Yah I was extremely underwhelmed and will wait to see what tech geeks say once they get their hands on it. I am not impressed currently and am considering going to a Samsung or other new device. I am an iPhone whore or have been until now, but will wait until I see more.

mithrilG60
09-12-2012, 03:01 PM
meh, it is what it is. There's nothing particularly revolutionary about any of the new Droid phones either. They are all rectangular devices with glass faces that can place phone calls, provide internet/navigational services and act as a gaming platform.

Apple's realised that the mobile device field has matured to the same point as the PC market in many ways.... it's target customer doesn't care about the technical specs of their phone just as they don't really care what the proc speed and ram cache level is of their PC; they care about apps, familiarity, branding and that it just works when they want it to. That's what the iDevices will be about for the next several generations. Droid hardware makers will continue appealing to the techno-geeks like they always have by claiming the latest and greatest hardware. but Droid itself will soon too realize that all the hardware on the market is now so advanced that it's almost immaterial to the phone experience.

longknocker
09-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Pricing (with contract):
16GB $199
32GB $299
64GB $399

Pre-order the 14th. Shipping starts the 21st.

4 Free w/ contract
4S $99 w/ contract

Thanks, Brother!:):tu

Chainsaw13
09-12-2012, 06:18 PM
meh, it is what it is. There's nothing particularly revolutionary about any of the new Droid phones either. They are all rectangular devices with glass faces that can place phone calls, provide internet/navigational services and act as a gaming platform.

Apple's realised that the mobile device field has matured to the same point as the PC market in many ways.... it's target customer doesn't care about the technical specs of their phone just as they don't really care what the proc speed and ram cache level is of their PC; they care about apps, familiarity, branding and that it just works when they want it to. That's what the iDevices will be about for the next several generations. Droid hardware makers will continue appealing to the techno-geeks like they always have by claiming the latest and greatest hardware. but Droid itself will soon too realize that all the hardware on the market is now so advanced that it's almost immaterial to the phone experience.

Very nice summary. I have a 4 and thought about upgrading IF the new 5 was a big step beyond what I currently have. I just don't see it. Since I bought my iPad I use the phone less so the 5 needed to really to offer a lot more than it has. That's ok, more money left for cigars.

floydpink
09-12-2012, 06:55 PM
I've got a couple offers for $200 for my current iPhone 4, so I will be getting a free upgrade and definitely see benefits in the 5 over the 4, like faster processor and bigger screen.

Nothing overly exciting, but enough to make me jump.

mithrilG60
09-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Very nice summary. I have a 4 and thought about upgrading IF the new 5 was a big step beyond what I currently have. I just don't see it. Since I bought my iPad I use the phone less so the 5 needed to really to offer a lot more than it has. That's ok, more money left for cigars.

I bought my wife and I 4s' at full retail from the AppleStore last year. We both travel internationally a couple times a year so being able to buy and use local SIM's wherever we are is huge, the Vodaphone kiosk will be the first or second stop in the Auckland airport this Sunday for example. We're both due for a contract renewal next Feb and unless they're given to us free there's zero advantage to paying $200 for a carrier-locked iPhone 5. If thry're free I'll take them and sell them on Craigslist and continue to use our 4s'.

Taki
09-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Couldn't agree more with what the last few posts have said....just expected more :sad

Sauer Grapes
09-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Watched the event, pretty much a yawn. The days of revolutionary launches with the iPhone/iPad/iPod are behind us. All 3 are mature products so the version changes will now be evolutionary instead to ensure the brand and revenue streams remain unruffled.

Big upgrade from a 3Gs, decent enough from a 4, certainly not worth it if you have a 4s....

I've got a couple offers for $200 for my current iPhone 4, so I will be getting a free upgrade and definitely see benefits in the 5 over the 4, like faster processor and bigger screen.

Nothing overly exciting, but enough to make me jump.

Pete has it correct. We will get our phones factory unlocked (the wife's 4 and my 4s) and then sell them to pay for most of the upgrade, if not in its entirety.

As long as you can get the subsidized price and you don't mind the contract extension, you can pretty much do the same every time. I'm more or less still using the same money I used for the original iPhone.

BHalbrooks
09-12-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm buying my Wife an iPhone for Christmas (With my upgrade since she let me use hers to get my iPhone.) I'm really glad that the 5 came out, because it dropped the price of the 4s, which is what she's getting. No use in getting her the newest, because she honestly doesn't give a ****. Plus, I can buy her more this way... and by that I mean Cigars for myself.

emopunker2004
09-13-2012, 03:15 AM
On the bright side, iOS6 comes out next Wednesday for everyone else :D

irratebass
09-13-2012, 04:00 AM
I watched this today

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upgrade-your-life/iphone-5-worth-money-215705776.html?_esi=1

Blak Smyth
09-13-2012, 07:12 AM
I watched this today

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upgrade-your-life/iphone-5-worth-money-215705776.html?_esi=1

This quote pretty much summed up my feelings:
"Wow, welcome to 2011 Apple. LTE capable! 4 inch screen! That's awesome!"

CigarNut
09-13-2012, 07:55 AM
I am really looking forward to ugrading my 4 to a 5! I am looking forward to the new screen, lighter, slimmer, faster phone.

As for 4G/LTE that is still a myth for most of us. If you look at true 4G/LTE coverage for all carriers you'll find that it is pretty spotty. Most of have 3G and will have 3G for a long time... I will want 4G when it is ubiquitous enough to make a difference for me...

Blak Smyth
09-13-2012, 08:04 AM
I am really looking forward to ugrading my 4 to a 5! I am looking forward to the new screen, lighter, slimmer, faster phone.

As for 4G/LTE that is still a myth for most of us. If you look at true 4G/LTE coverage for all carriers you'll find that it is pretty spotty. Most of have 3G and will have 3G for a long time... I will want 4G when it is ubiquitous enough to make a difference for me...

I live in the middle of nowhere and we have AT&T & Verizon 4G since a couple months ago. Maybe because we are about an hour from Philly?

I am growing more fond of the new iPhone the more I look at the Galaxy 3S. While I love the screen size more on the Galaxy, I hate the droid OS. I suppose the OS is more important to me than screen size overall. I will come around Michael!

MurphysLaw
09-13-2012, 08:27 AM
I'm looking forward to upgrading from the 4 to 5 as well. I've had my 4 since the day before the launch and recently my battery life has went way down. I'll put my 4 up for sale once I have the new phone in hand and probably recoup most of what it costs me to upgrade.

CigarNut
09-13-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm looking forward to upgrading from the 4 to 5 as well. I've had my 4 since the day before the launch and recently my battery life has went way down. I'll put my 4 up for sale once I have the new phone in hand and probably recoup most of what it costs me to upgrade.
I found a site that will buy my iPhone 4 from me -- http://www.gazelle.com

They will give me $220 for it. My phone is a little less than 3 months old (new warranty replacement).

Blak Smyth
09-13-2012, 09:39 AM

They will give me $220 for it. My phone is a little less than 3 months old (new warranty replacement).

They will only give me $50 for my 4 due to a small crack on one of the corners.

MurphysLaw
09-13-2012, 09:45 AM

They offered 163 for mine :tu I might try to get an even 200 cash listing it on CL

lilninjabuddy
09-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Shoot, Shane... I'll give you $50 for it!

For me, that's actually the realy benefit of the iphone 5.... I'll be able to upgrade my wife to an iPhone 4 or 4s for less than I could last month.

I'll probably stick with the 3gs until it dies. Which might not be too long here, actually...

Blak Smyth
09-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Shoot, Shane... I'll give you $50 for it!

For me, that's actually the realy benefit of the iphone 5.... I'll be able to upgrade my wife to an iPhone 4 or 4s for less than I could last month.

I'll probably stick with the 3gs until it dies. Which might not be too long here, actually...

I would rather sell it to you than them, I will let you know if I decide to upgrade. I would think you may want to find a better phone than mine though, I have had it for over tow years and I didn't use a case for a long time. I thought I heard the 4S would be as low as $99 though soon?

lilninjabuddy
09-13-2012, 09:59 AM
ok, well I'm a cheapskate so lmk! ;)

Any of you guys with a 4s in good shape, I'd be willing to match what that site is willing to pay.

mosesbotbol
09-13-2012, 10:28 AM
ok, well I'm a cheapskate so lmk! ;)

Any of you guys with a 4s in good shape, I'd be willing to match what that site is willing to pay.

Same here; 4 or 4s... Send me a PM. Must be factory unlocked.

irratebass
09-13-2012, 11:06 AM
They offered 163 for mine :tu I might try to get an even 200 cash listing it on CL

They offered me $234, but I am not selling....I was just curious to see what it was worth, have only had since March. I am very happy with mine.

mmblz
09-13-2012, 12:16 PM
it's target customer doesn't care about the technical specs of their phone just as they don't really care what the proc speed and ram cache level is of their PC;

i don't follow. iPhone 5 basically is just incremental bumps to various specs - screen size, thinness, battery life, speed... functionally though, it's hardly different than the last go around...

seems to me that the only reason to release this is if customers DO care about specs...

kelmac07
09-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Offered $ 286 for my 4S...but I'm very happy with it.

CigarNut
09-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Offered $ 286 for my 4S...but I'm very happy with it.If you don't mind me asking -- what did you pay for it?

I paid $299 for my 4 in June 2010 and I am getting $220 for it. Excluding contract extensions I used my iPhone 4 for 2 1/4 years for $79 -- a little less than $3/month -- a great deal.

I am seriously thinking about trading in my wife's 4S as well -- she can get $248 for hers. She paid $299 -- so that cost her about $4/month. The advantage to this is that we would have all the same cables -- a big deal when we travel.

GTsetGO
09-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Just announced, the Iphone 10

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/gtsetgo/funny%20pics/A2skLDXCEAA6nIgjpglarge.jpg

King James
09-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Nice review

kelmac07
09-13-2012, 03:56 PM
If you don't mind me asking -- what did you pay for it?

I paid $299 for my 4 in June 2010 and I am getting $220 for it. Excluding contract extensions I used my iPhone 4 for 2 1/4 years for $79 -- a little less than $3/month -- a great deal.

I am seriously thinking about trading in my wife's 4S as well -- she can get $248 for hers. She paid $299 -- so that cost her about $4/month. The advantage to this is that we would have all the same cables -- a big deal when we travel.

Michael...paid $ 399 for mine with a 2 year plan...the 64GB version.

mithrilG60
09-13-2012, 05:26 PM
i don't follow. iPhone 5 basically is just incremental bumps to various specs - screen size, thinness, battery life, speed... functionally though, it's hardly different than the last go around...

seems to me that the only reason to release this is if customers DO care about specs...

lol, the real reason to release this is because Apple needs to keep their revenue stream stable and growing. Make a couple minor changes that don't really matter so you've got something to spin in the marketing and Bob's your uncle.

The average customer has zero idea what half those buzzwords really mean, and they can't necessarily tell the difference between the one's they do recognize. People are will buy this iPhone because it's new and many held off on upgrading from the 4 to the 4s because like the 4s to 5 it was a very incremental upgrade.

I realize this is pure comedy and probably staged for effect, but last night's Jimmy Kimmel sums the average smartphone buyer perfectly. This is why I say hardware specs are pretty much irrelevant now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rdIWKytq_q4

Chainsaw13
09-13-2012, 05:38 PM
That's funny Goeff.

Steelerfanatic
09-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Looking for a 4 or 4s on Sprint in white. If you have one to sell or trade please let me know. Thanks!!

floydpink
09-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Well, with the LTE capabilities on the new iPhone5, I should be updating my Facebook status at light speed, and I will have a 5th row of apps on the home screen, so I can fit all my Angry Birds neatly.

That alone was worth the wait.

Smokin Gator
09-14-2012, 05:00 AM

This is me...

Order in for the 5 along with a 4s for the wife:tu

Blak Smyth
09-14-2012, 05:14 AM
Just announced, the Iphone 10

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/gtsetgo/funny%20pics/A2skLDXCEAA6nIgjpglarge.jpg

Hahah this is funny!

blugill
09-14-2012, 05:46 AM
Can't get a 5 until we are eligible for upgrades next summer.
By then the 5s will be coming close to hitting the markets.
The whole family has 4's and are pretty happy with them, we got them when the 4s came out so they became the cheap phone:) Not to mention I get a company discount for some reason through my employer which knocks a quarter off of my bill each month!

kelmac07
09-14-2012, 06:05 AM
My youngest son is going out to pre-order a 5S this morning..since he's gotten himself a nice new job. I will fiddle with his...but again, I'm ver happy with my 4S.

Digs
09-14-2012, 06:08 AM
I got the email this morning for he pre-buy, I went thru up the we're I needed to hit he green button to check out!!! Someome talk me down :D:D

Not sure I can make it thru the day:D

Chainsaw13
09-14-2012, 06:19 AM
I got a similar email Dennis. Went to the site to just see what it would really cost me. The additional $$$ every month for "4G LTE" data was the deal breaker.

kelmac07
09-14-2012, 06:26 AM
When did the data plan "fee" increase from $ 29.95 per month to $ 40??? WTF?? :bh :bh

09-14-2012, 06:45 AM
When did the data plan "fee" increase from $ 29.95 per month to $ 40??? WTF?? :bh :bh

WHAT! I luck out and am on that share all plan for the family deal, but 40$pm better be for unlimited..

Digs
09-14-2012, 10:39 AM
I got a similar email Dennis. Went to the site to just see what it would really cost me. The additional $$$ every month for "4G LTE" data was the deal breaker.

Thru at&t mine stayed the same at $30, only cost is just phone

Taki
09-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Dennis if you had Verizon you would get a huge disscount!!! The wives get a nice disscount via the hospital! I think we pay $10-$15 bucks for unlimited...

MurphysLaw
09-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Pre-ordered this morning, now for the long wait for a box to come from overseas...somehow this feels very familiar :r

CigarNut
09-14-2012, 01:23 PM
I just heard on the news that the preorders directly from Apple and AT&T starting at Midnight exhausted the initial supply of iPhone's by 12:30 am. Those of us that after that time will have a slightly (TBD) longer wait....

King James
09-14-2012, 02:15 PM
I just heard on the news that the preorders directly from Apple and AT&T starting at Midnight exhausted the initial supply of iPhone's by 12:30 am. Those of us that after that time will have a slightly (TBD) longer wait....

Apple sold out pretty quickly. There shipping estimate went from next friday to "two weeks" if you tried to pre-order after around 1:00am PST. The carriers faired a little bit better. Verizon orders as of around 6:00 or 7:00am this morning were still showing ship dates by next friday. Who knows if that was just an error by Verizon, but it appears that the carriers received less traffic of preorders.

By this point in the day, I'd think they are all gone. If you want one on launch day it may be best to wait at the store and not preorder online.

mithrilG60
09-14-2012, 02:28 PM
By this point in the day, I'd think they are all gone. If you want one on launch day it may be best to wait at the store and not preorder online.

Not sure about the US stores, but the Canadian AppleStores will only be selling the iPhone 5 to customers activating a new or renewed 3yr contract (our default carrier contract length is a year longer than in the US).

Digs
09-14-2012, 05:59 PM

Bob who is your provider?

Chainsaw13
09-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Bob who is your provider?

AT&T. I lost my unlimited plan when I got my iPhone 4. Screw up with the order, etc. when I went to their site today and did the preorder, it was puttingme in a new data plan.

I was more curious then serious. I have too many devices right now with the old style charger to spend the coin to buy multiple adapters.

Taki
09-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Mine will be here on the 28th of this month or earlier :tu

Adriftpanda
09-14-2012, 06:36 PM

Yup Yup.

Mine will be shipped the 22nd and get to me by the 26th-28th. :noon

longknocker
09-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Just Ordered Mine. Didn't Look At Expected Ship Date. It Will Be Here When It Gets Here.:r:D

Sauer Grapes
09-14-2012, 08:40 PM
I ordered the 32GB version for the wife and me. I was planning on getting a white before they came out, but the black looks slicker on the 5 IMO.

Those looking at selling your old ones, you will do much better on craigslist. The only reason to use Gazelle or similar is if you don't want to spend the time to sell it yourself.

Also, if you are on AT&T, give customer service a call and it is very likely they will factory unlock your iPhone 4 (or even 4s if you got the 5).

jjmitchem
09-14-2012, 11:53 PM
Wife just ordered hers today, I'm due for my upgrade in February but with a deployment most likely to happen next summer I may wait.

Will be looking into selling her 4 on as soon as her 5 comes in

BHalbrooks
09-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Wife just ordered hers today, I'm due for my upgrade in February but with a deployment most likely to happen next summer I may wait.

Will be looking into selling her 4 on as soon as her 5 comes in

If you're looking for a quick sell, some guys on here are looking for either 4 or 4s. Some have money to trade, some have cigars. :2

newcigarz
09-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Confirmed iPhone 5 has 1 GB of ram. :tu

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/15/apples-new-iphone-5-has-1gb-of-ram/

Justinphilly
09-16-2012, 07:31 AM
I actually set my alarm for 2:00am (12:00am Cupertino time) to pre-order. For it done, delivery the 21st, went back to bed. I'm the Apple junkie they love. Even if the iPhone 5 was pitched as slower, bigger, worse, I'd HAVE to have it.

jjmitchem
09-16-2012, 03:36 PM
If you're looking for a quick sell, some guys on here are looking for either 4 or 4s. Some have money to trade, some have cigars. :2

Mmmmmm

I can just hear it now- "you traded my iPhone for what???"

Ender
09-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Well, with the LTE capabilities on the new iPhone5, I should be updating my Facebook status at light speed, and I will have a 5th row of apps on the home screen, so I can fit all my Angry Birds neatly.

That alone was worth the wait.

:r I wish there wasn't an element of truth in there for me. I pre ordered mine.

Ender
09-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Ok, I just checked and my email says it should "arrive as soon as Sept 21". Man, I hope that's true.

longknocker
09-17-2012, 04:02 AM
I actually set my alarm for 2:00am (12:00am Cupertino time) to pre-order. For it done, delivery the 21st, went back to bed. I'm the Apple junkie they love. Even if the iPhone 5 was pitched as slower, bigger, worse, I'd HAVE to have it.

My Boss At Work Did The Same Thing!:D

"I" Wouldn't Even Do That, But You'll Both Be First To Get Them!:banger:D

aich75013
09-17-2012, 07:34 AM
I didn't order until late Saturday.
Online it says:
Available to ship: 2 - 3 Weeks
Delivers Oct 10 - Oct 16 via Standard Shipping
Oh well. Still better than waiting in some long line.

King James
09-17-2012, 08:16 AM
I didn't order until late Saturday.
Online it says:
Available to ship: 2 - 3 Weeks
Delivers Oct 10 - Oct 16 via Standard Shipping
Oh well. Still better than waiting in some long line.

Any idea if availability in the stores will be back before that time? There will obviously be some time after the launch date where the phone won't be in stock, but maybe before Oct. 10? Although, it also isn't far fetched that Apple knocks down that shipping time. I know they like to project the date to be longer and then sometimes will change the delivery date to an earlier one.

CigarNut
09-17-2012, 09:22 AM
I would bet that the Apple and Carrier stores will have stock for walk-ins. That is how I got my 4 in 2010 and my wife's 4S last year -- I walked into an AT&T store the day after the release and they had plenty of stock, with more coming in each day. There were lines, but if you want to get one from a store on Friday (9/21) you should be able to do so.

floydpink
09-17-2012, 09:49 AM
I have to wait until Nov 1st for early upgrade which won't kill me, so I didn't preorder.

On a side note, I was curious to know why Apple hadn't officially made a bumper for the 5 and read an article which explained a few interesting things;

The unibody design and flush glass make it unlikely that it will crack like the previous models. Maybe not impossible, but apparantly much harder.

The bumper won't be fixing "death grip issues" with the antennae problem from the first models of 4 with the new 2 antennae design.

The aluminum body and "gorilla glass" on the 5s supposedly make it very durable.

Gorilla glass is made by Corning and is already found on some droid phones, which will undoubtedly invite plenty of "ho-hum" comments from the droid camp.

The camera lense is sapphire crystal, like you see on the face of a Rolex and gorilla glass is apparantly extrememely hard to crack or scratch.

I have always kept my iPhones in Otterbox cases and been able to sell them every couple years looking new, but am seriously considering going caseless on this one.

King James
09-17-2012, 10:06 AM
I have to wait until Nov 1st for early upgrade which won't kill me, so I didn't preorder.

On a side note, I was curious to know why Apple hadn't officially made a bumper for the 5 and read an article which explained a few interesting things;

The unibody design and flush glass make it unlikely that it will crack like the previous models. Maybe not impossible, but apparantly much harder.

The bumper won't be fixing "death grip issues" with the antennae problem from the first models of 4 with the new 2 antennae design.

The aluminum body and "gorilla glass" on the 5s supposedly make it very durable.

Gorilla glass is made by Corning and is already found on some droid phones, which will undoubtedly invite plenty of "ho-hum" comments from the droid camp.

The camera lense is sapphire crystal, like you see on the face of a Rolex and gorilla glass is apparantly extrememely hard to crack or scratch.

I have always kept my iPhones in Otterbox cases and been able to sell them every couple years looking new, but am seriously considering going caseless on this one.

I've always been against using cases. Dropped my iphone 4 once and cracked the back plate (thankfully it landed on its back and not front. Difference is a $30 fix or $200+ for a new phone if the screen cracked) and decided to use the bumper. I think I will also try to go caseless with the 5

edit: I should clarify that "drop" in this case means flew out of my hand while I was talking on it and landed on a concrete street.

Blak Smyth
09-17-2012, 10:10 AM
I've always been against using cases. Dropped my iphone 4 once and cracked the back plate (thankfully it landed on its back and not front. Difference is a $30 fix or $200+ for a new phone if the screen cracked) and decided to use the bumper. I think I will also try to go caseless with the 5

edit: I should clarify that "drop" in this case means flew out of my hand while I was talking on it and landed on a concrete street.

I have always hated cases, I buy a phone partially because of the way it looks and feels. With a case it no longer looks or feels the way I liked it.
I do use cases now though since I cracked and chipped my iPhone 4 up so many times.

CigarNut
09-17-2012, 10:21 AM
I hate cases because they usually make it more difficult for the phone to slide in and out of my pocket. However, after having dropped my iPhone 3GS once (several years ago) and having the glass shatter I have been using a case, most recently the bumper.

The one advantage to the cases is that they preserve the resale value of the phone. I have not decided if I will use a case with the iPhone 5 -- I will certainly start out caseless and see how it goes..

Blak Smyth
09-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Oh and my camera lense got all scratched up while not using a case and now takes worse pics.

floydpink
09-17-2012, 10:26 AM
I'll never forget sitting on my hotel balcony on Clearwater Beach smoking a cigar before bed and flipping though CNN on my iPhone.

Out of nowhere, a large dragonfly landed on my shoulder.

I was so startled, I jumped up and my phone flew out of my hand and 5 floors down to the pool deck and bounced into the bushes.

I was sure it was toast, but it didn't even have a scratch thanks to the Otterbox.

That kind of makes me reluctant to go caseless.

Blak Smyth
09-17-2012, 11:17 AM
I gotta admit, I am leaning away from the iPhone again. Did any of you see the new phablets?

http://tablet-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/gnoteiphone.jpg

CigarNut
09-17-2012, 11:21 AM
For me those are too big to use as a phone without a headset. The iPhone is about as large as I want to get for something that I have to hold up to my ear...

aich75013
09-17-2012, 11:24 AM
For me those are too big to use as a phone without a headset. The iPhone is about as large as I want to get for something that I have to hold up to my ear...

I had a student during the summer who had a Galaxy Note (I think). It was almost as big as her head when she talked on it. Looked kinda silly to me. It reminded me of those pics once upon a time when iPad came out of people holding it like a phone.

MurphysLaw
09-17-2012, 11:43 AM
I found a site (http://www.zoogue.com/iphone-5-cases/) that is doing a promo for iPhone 4/4s/5 cases. I bought my wife and I cases for our current phones there, and pre-ordered for my iPhone 5. If you use the coupon code it knocks the price of the case down to a penny plus S&H. The code works for up to two cases at a time. I have ZERO affiliation with the site, I'm just a happy customer.

King James
09-17-2012, 11:44 AM
I gotta admit, I am leaning away from the iPhone again. Did any of you see the new phablets?

http://tablet-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/gnoteiphone.jpg

I could imagine that thing being difficult to fit comfortable in some pants pockets, especially jeans. Some people like bigger screens, but for a phone that is with me at all times, I want something that can easily be carried.

Chainsaw13
09-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Ditto for me Jim. I never carry a phone expect in my pocket.

Ender
09-17-2012, 07:32 PM
I agree with pretty much all of Jim, Michael and Shane's comments so far. I'm not one who enjoys carrying a tablet in my pocket much less trying to talk on it. I thought the old size was good enough for what I needed it to do. However, I'm ok with it being a tad longer if it's thinner and lighter. I'm curious how much I'll even notice those differences though. Also, I agree that 10 years is sufficient time to allow for a change in format to allow for slimmer/better technology but my question is why didn't they just go to a mini usb? I'm not a techie so sorry if that's a dumb question.
On another note, my wife says her friend received an updated delivery notice stating it will be in October. So far I have not got any such notice...fingers crossed.

Edit: Oh, and I hate having a case too but alas, I so benefit from one. It makes it so much bulkier in my pocket.

hammondc
09-17-2012, 08:06 PM
phablets?

THAT, sir, awesome. :r:r

Blak Smyth
09-18-2012, 05:14 AM
I had a student during the summer who had a Galaxy Note (I think). It was almost as big as her head when she talked on it. Looked kinda silly to me. It reminded me of those pics once upon a time when iPad came out of people holding it like a phone.

That pic I posted earlier is the Note 2 that is coming out this year.
Honestly I spend about 10 minutes a month talking on my cell.
I spend more time texting than anything, I even text with my mom.
I would be in heaven if the Ipad mini had cell capabilities.

irratebass
09-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Here ya go guys, cheap iPhone 5 accessories

http://www.monoprice.com/home/newsletter/newsletter_detail.asp?newsl_id=132&s_keyword=?utm_source=september_newsletter_4&utm_medium=email&utm_content=header&utm_campaign=iphone5_september_q3_2012

jjmitchem
09-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Just checked-the Lifeproof case will have an iPhone 5 case soon. Just signed up for the notification

Justinphilly
09-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Almost there. Can't wait till Friday.

omowasu
09-18-2012, 06:49 PM

Please, please, please use a case. If you can deal with the Otterbox Defender series size, its probably the best of its kind.

Gorilla Glass prevents scratches and hazing, and offers some protection in a small drop. But when dropped from a decent distance, Gorilla Glass will shatter, and when it does, it shatters into a thousand pieces. Its just like a tempered automotive windshield. And if you try to use it after its been shattered, the glass will continue to crack as it gets warm and glass will find its way into your ear!

A couple of Android sets have had Gorilla Glass for some time... Thats how I know firsthand :2

emopunker2004
09-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Lifeproof case FTW! Best case ever for sure, if you don't mind the cost.

On a side note, iOS6 comes out tomorrow for the 3gs,4,4s :D

King James
09-18-2012, 10:21 PM
iphone 5 review (www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/apple-iphone-5-review/)
iOS 6 review (http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/ios-6-review/)

emopunker2004
09-18-2012, 10:55 PM
iphone 5 review (www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/apple-iphone-5-review/)
iOS 6 review (http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/ios-6-review/)

iOS6 looks good to me :tu

irratebass
09-19-2012, 04:04 AM
I love the idea of panoramic view in photos....usually you have to download an app for that and usually they are not that great.

emopunker2004
09-19-2012, 04:08 AM
I can't wait to see how the turn by turn compares to the Waze app i use already.

Blak Smyth
09-19-2012, 06:08 AM
I can't wait to play with Taki's 5 when it arrives.

MurphysLaw
09-19-2012, 06:39 AM
I can't wait to play with Taki's 5 when it arrives.

http://c921913.r13.cf2.rackcdn.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/MichaelScott.jpg

Blak Smyth
09-19-2012, 06:42 AM
http://c921913.r13.cf2.rackcdn.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/MichaelScott.jpg

Bahahah, that's the most appropriate use of that line ever!!! :r

emopunker2004
09-19-2012, 07:45 AM
I could imagine that thing being difficult to fit comfortable in some pants pockets, especially jeans. Some people like bigger screens, but for a phone that is with me at all times, I want something that can easily be carried.

That's one of the things I like about my 4s. I had an HTC Evo and while not a phablet it was still bigish.

King James
09-19-2012, 08:29 AM
That's one of the things I like about my 4s. I had an HTC Evo and while not a phablet it was still bigish.

I was happy with the 3.5'' screen because I like having my phone comfortably in my pocket. Some people like bigger screens, or don't put their phones in the pants pocket. Another reasons why subjective things like screen size cannot realistically be used to show why one phone is overall better than another. I've heard the argument 100 times, just doesn't make any sense.

emopunker2004
09-19-2012, 08:35 AM
I agree. I always carry my phone in pocket and the iphone is just right for me. no way i could pocket one of those note phones.

Blak Smyth
09-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Yup, I personally desire a larger screen, that is my personal issue with iPhone. But I know many like the smaller screen. I don't wear skinny jeans so no issues for me.

shilala
09-19-2012, 08:52 AM
I ordered a 5 for Lisa yesterday. I had an upgrade due, but I'm perfectly happy with my 4. So I used it to get her a 5. Her upgrade doesn't come around until October, I think.

mosesbotbol
09-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Getting a factory unlocked iPhone 4 32 GB for $200 with no contract now that iPhone 5 is out!

floydpink
09-19-2012, 10:09 AM
I love the idea of panoramic view in photos....usually you have to download an app for that and usually they are not that great.

It's only supported on Iphone 4s and up.

I actually find WAZE, a free GPS app, to be the best out there, including free standing GPS models, but we'll see.

As for cases, I found this bumper and had a $10 credit at Amazon, so I ordered it.
http://www.amazon.com/Photive-Hybrid-iPhone-Bumper-Case/dp/B0092TQHP2

jjmitchem
09-19-2012, 01:09 PM
My wife just got an email from Verizon- her iPhone 5 has shipped and will be here Friday

Smokin Gator
09-20-2012, 05:05 AM
My wife just got an email from Verizon- her iPhone 5 has shipped and will be here Friday

Mine too!!:tu

emopunker2004
09-20-2012, 05:27 AM
iOS6 so far so good.

Blak Smyth
09-20-2012, 06:29 AM
iOS6 so far so good.

Left my phone at home to finish downloading this morning.

Chainsaw13
09-20-2012, 06:41 AM
I made the mistake of upgrading my Ipad 2 to IOS6 last night. Didn't know I'd lose the Youtube app. Not that I used it a lot, but needed it last night.

emopunker2004
09-20-2012, 06:56 AM
I made the mistake of upgrading my Ipad 2 to IOS6 last night. Didn't know I'd lose the Youtube app. Not that I used it a lot, but needed it last night.

I believe there is a youtube app on the app store though :2

MurphysLaw
09-20-2012, 06:57 AM

There's a YouTube app you can download from the app store to replace the built in app.

emopunker2004
09-20-2012, 07:04 AM
There's a YouTube app you can download from the app store to replace the built in app.

Beat ya to it :D

Chainsaw13
09-20-2012, 07:23 AM
There is, but it's the Iphone version right now, which of course works on the Ipad, but not very well. The Ipad version is coming.

irratebass
09-20-2012, 07:25 AM
Left my phone at home to finish downloading this morning.

Bah, I have to connect to a wifi :td

Blak Smyth
09-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Bah, I have to connect to a wifi :td

That's why I left it home.

emopunker2004
09-20-2012, 07:35 AM
you can DL thru itunes on your PC too

Ender
09-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Got the tracking # that says it should be here Friday. I'm thankful I didn't have to leave my phone home and used wifi at work to dl the ios...which is also good for taking a sec to log on CA.:D

CigarNut
09-20-2012, 06:56 PM
I am picking mine up at Best Buy tomorrow morning :D

Blak Smyth
09-21-2012, 05:49 AM
I am sooo pissed. My phone won't let me delete the e-mail about the new iphone I received last night. B-U-L-L-CHIT, a phone shouldn't be able to tell me what to do. This may have been the final push I needed to get away from iPhone now.

Edit: I just tried it again and it worked. Anybody else have this issue? It seems so wrong to me.

pnoon
09-21-2012, 06:38 AM
I am sooo pissed. My phone won't let me delete the e-mail about the new iphone I received last night. B-U-L-L-CHIT, a phone shouldn't be able to tell me what to do. This may have been the final push I needed to get away from iPhone now.

Edit: I just tried it again and it worked. Anybody else have this issue? It seems so wrong to me.

Operator error?
;s

Blak Smyth
09-21-2012, 06:52 AM
Operator error?
;s

Haha no I tried several times :tu
It deleted all other e-mails but a pop up came up and said you can't delete this e-mail when I tried to delete the iphone 5 one.

CigarNut
09-21-2012, 07:01 AM
Karma? :)

Blak Smyth
09-21-2012, 07:04 AM
Karma? :)

Maybe :confused: or a sign.

Justinphilly
09-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Who's going to be the first to post a pic of themselves with the elusive iPhone 5 in hand?

King James
09-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Who's going to be the first to post a pic of themselves with the elusive iPhone 5 in hand?

I know a couple guys are waiting @ the physical stores. They should be on their way home in not too long. I'm just waiting for Fed Ex. Has been on truck since 7:30, and usually overnight shipments from Fed Ex reach my house before 11:00am, historically at least.

CigarNut
09-21-2012, 07:54 AM
I have an appointment to pick mine up at 11:30am (PDT); would have been earlier but I have meetings at work all morning...

Justinphilly
09-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Mine says it should be here within the hour.

Justinphilly
09-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Got mine all set up. This thing is lightning quick.

Blak Smyth
09-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Got mine all set up. This thing is lightning quick.

How do you like that tall narrow screen?

Justinphilly
09-21-2012, 09:04 AM
It's different. But it's pretty cool. It's so light I'm kind of scared about forgetting its in my hand.

Parshooter
09-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Don't forget to get your new adapters.

mosesbotbol
09-21-2012, 09:28 AM
It's different. But it's pretty cool. It's so light I'm kind of scared about forgetting its in my hand.

I wonder how the radiation emmisions compare to their older models?

rizzle
09-21-2012, 10:29 AM
I wonder how the radiation emmisions compare to their older models?

Probably kill you within minutes.

Smokin Gator
09-21-2012, 01:57 PM
I got mine and opened the box. I looks way cool!!! I won't use it until my new Otter Box gets here... should be tomorrow.

longknocker
09-21-2012, 02:36 PM
I got mine and opened the box. I looks way cool!!! I won't use it until my new Otter Box gets here... should be tomorrow.

:tu Pics???

CigarNut
09-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Mine is sync'ing all my apps... It's gonna be awhile...

jjmitchem
09-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Wife's phone just arrived - she won't let me touch it yet :D

BHalbrooks
09-21-2012, 04:21 PM
I honestly have no desire to upgrade to the iPhone 5. I love my 4s.

CigarDojo
09-21-2012, 04:50 PM
I pre-ordered mine a few days ago. It should show up at my house in a week or so. I held off from the 4s so I'm really excited to get the 5.

jjmitchem
09-21-2012, 05:02 PM
I pre-ordered mine a few days ago. It should show up at my house in a week or so. I held off from the 4s so I'm really excited to get the 5.

Same here. We both have the 4

Wife's is on iTunes right now restoring.

Justinphilly
09-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Is there an easy way to post pictures from iPhone to this forum?

kelmac07
09-21-2012, 06:26 PM
My son got his this afternoon. He's a happy camper right about now. :D

CigarNut
09-21-2012, 07:51 PM
I love mine! :D I cannot believe how much faster it is than the 4 -- and if course it is so much lighter. I am still getting used to using Siri -- have not quite got it worked out with my BT headset.

emopunker2004
09-21-2012, 09:36 PM
I honestly have no desire to upgrade to the iPhone 5. I love my 4s.

+1 sir :tu

Big Bert
09-21-2012, 11:22 PM
I don't know if any one has asked this before but bare with me. I am about ready for an upgrade for my phone and I'm stuck between the iPhone and the galaxy s3 has anyone here done this switch and can tell me which one is better then the other I been an android user for ever and I'm kinda stepping into new grounds if I go the iPhone route ... Thanks peeps

MurphysLaw
09-22-2012, 04:48 AM
Just got my shipping notice, my iPhone 5 will be here earlier than the original estimate :noon

CigarNut
09-22-2012, 09:35 AM
I don't know if any one has asked this before but bare with me. I am about ready for an upgrade for my phone and I'm stuck between the iPhone and the galaxy s3 has anyone here done this switch and can tell me which one is better then the other I been an android user for ever and I'm kinda stepping into new grounds if I go the iPhone route ... Thanks peeps

It's almost a religious issue and is very subjective. Both are good phones; it's all about what you like.

King James
09-22-2012, 09:52 AM
It's almost a religious issue and is very subjective. Both are good phones; it's all about what you like.

Yup. There is no such thing as which is "better" overall. Each has advantages or disadvantages depending on your needs. I'd suggest going to an Apple Store or cell provider store and playing around with both. Also research the strengths and weaknesses of both online, but pay attention to the source as many are quite biased.

CigarNut
09-22-2012, 10:56 AM
One iPhone feature I really like is being able to a "Reply All" to a Group Text (SMS) Message. Apparently, this is not possible with the standard SMS app Android...

Big Bert
09-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the input ... I guess ill have to take a trip to the store to find out my self

mhailey
09-22-2012, 11:52 PM
I just got the Galaxy S 3 and this thing is just absolutely amazing. In fact, I posted this entire response with just my voice. You really should go check it out. It seems to me that the new iPhone 5 give you a whole extra row for icons, but the android operating system seems to give you so much more control and functionality.

BHalbrooks
09-23-2012, 01:27 AM
I've had my iPhone 4S for a long time and it's amazing too. In fact I've posted this all with Siri. Just saying :-). Yeah she really just did the :-) for me too.

longknocker
09-23-2012, 02:44 AM
Still Don't See Any Pics.;) I Call :bs I Don't Think Anyone Has The New iPhone 5, Yet!:rolleyes: