PDA

View Full Version : 11 sticks left in my humi...

crazyirishman
01-09-2012, 10:31 AM
The question I have is: Should I buy a box of one line of cigars or spend a little bit more and buy several individuals so that I an afforded some variety?

I know this is a matter of opinion and will bring forth troops for both encampments, but I would appreciate the views of the rest of you very much.

kelmac07
01-09-2012, 10:36 AM
How new are you to cigars? If fairly new...I would recommend that you try a variety of sticks. Once you have found something that you really enjoy...then snag a box.

Subvet642
01-09-2012, 10:37 AM
I only use a 100-150 count desktop, and while I have bought boxes, I tend to buy fivers mostly.

chatboardhero
01-09-2012, 10:37 AM
that's totally an issue of personal preference. i find that variety is certainly more appealing. there are a plethora of samplers available out there.

Brutus2600
01-09-2012, 10:42 AM
How much storage room do you have? Are we talking a 50 count desktop humi, 300 count footlocker, or something significantly larger? If it's not a lot of storage real estate, buy some singles and/or 5'ers. Get some new sticks in singles to try 'em out, get some 5'ers of ones you know you like. If you have more room and the money to do it, stock it with a box of cigars you know you like and then a few 5'ers of new cigars to try.

Remo
01-09-2012, 10:46 AM
If you have a certain brand you like, i.e Tats, DPG, Oliva whatever, buy a few samplers from the brand you like, find the sticks you enjoy from the brand then get some boxes down the road :tu

TheCigarNut
01-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Personally I am one for diverstity, I like to grab 5 packs or even pairs. Sure if there is a good deal on a cigar I KNOW I really like I'll splurge on the box, but personally that is few and far between. What smokes are you thinking about getting?

crazyirishman
01-09-2012, 10:51 AM
How much storage room do you have? .

I should have clarified that. D'oh.

It's a 40 count desktop, so my conundrum is that if I buy a box, I'd be only smoking from that box until I run out again...

Although I'm seriously considering making a cedar lined Igloodor...

When I got hooked, I got hooked hard.

crazyirishman
01-09-2012, 10:53 AM
How new are you to cigars? If fairly new...I would recommend that you try a variety of sticks. Once you have found something that you really enjoy...then snag a box.

I hadn't thought of that, actually. For some reason that third option never popped up.

Brutus2600
01-09-2012, 10:58 AM
I should have clarified that. D'oh.

It's a 40 count desktop, so my conundrum is that if I buy a box, I'd be only smoking from that box until I run out again...

Although I'm seriously considering making a cedar lined Igloodor...

When I got hooked, I got hooked hard.

Stick with singles, there's no reason right now for you to commit to anything more than a 5'er (and even then maybe avoid that for a little while).

When I was limited to a 50 count one of the biggest mistakes I made was dedicating half of my humidor to a bundle purchase I made. Great sticks, but it really limited my cigar selection. While I should've been trying new things, I instead was mostly smoking that one cigar.

Once you find some favorite sticks and have the money, upgrade the storage and buy 5'ers. Even then I'd avoid buying full boxes (unless you go through a lot of cigars). Personally, my tastes changed so much within the 6 months of really getting into the hobby (this was after 5 years of casual smoking) that I was left with boxes of cigars I loved just a few months back that I no longer cared for.

VTDragon
01-09-2012, 10:59 AM
If you are asking the question, I assume that you are still quite interested in exploring different sticks as opposed to just having a couple of brands on hand all the time that you really like. Therefore, buy fivers at some place like The Devil Site (http://www.cigarbid.com/) . The price won't be much different than boxes and you can gradually settle on a couple or three "go to" sticks that you want to have on hand all the time.

crazyirishman
01-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Stick with singles, there's no reason right now for you to commit to anything more than a 5'er (and even then maybe avoid that for a little while).

When I was limited to a 50 count one of the biggest mistakes I made was dedicating half of my humidor to a bundle purchase I made. Great sticks, but it really limited my cigar selection. While I should've been trying new things, I instead was mostly smoking that one cigar.

Once you find some favorite sticks and have the money, upgrade the storage and buy 5'ers. Even then I'd avoid buying full boxes (unless you go through a lot of cigars). Personally, my tastes changed so much within the 6 months of really getting into the hobby (this was after 5 years of casual smoking) that I was left with boxes of cigars I loved just a few months back that I no longer cared for.

That's a very good point. That's what makes the most sense and it seems to be the general consensus, so my mind is made up.

jluck
01-09-2012, 11:01 AM
I started with samplers.(full of singles or 2's) that way I could cover as much ground as possible. then 5 packs when I found something I liked now I'm getting a box or two here and there and "super samplers" (like 20-40 sticks of many 5'ers). If you just get one whole box at time, man it will take years to start finding what you truly love.
:2

crazyirishman
01-09-2012, 11:03 AM
The Devil Site (http://www.cigarbid.com/)

Why is CBid so dubbed, anyway? Hah

Remo
01-09-2012, 11:04 AM

Wait til you get on and start bidding, you will know why :r

crazyirishman
01-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Wait til you get on and start bidding, you will know why :r

Ohhh. I thought it was something that they had a bad reputation for.

A bad reputation for something other than pushing B/SOTL in to poverty.

Remo
01-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Ohhh. I thought it was something that they had a bad reputation for.

A bad reputation for something other than pushing B/SOTL in to poverty.

Nope, that's why :tu

Sonic04GT
01-09-2012, 11:14 AM
I don't know if I'll ever buy a box. Fivers and samplers for me. I'm still new though.

Ed M
01-09-2012, 11:25 AM
I started by getting samplers so I could try lots of different sticks. Now I do mostly 5 and 10 packs of the ones I like. If I really, really like something I'll spring for a box.

BHalbrooks
01-09-2012, 11:26 AM

It cases Divorces annually.

I'm not sure where Grand Blanc is, but I'm from Newaygo (About 30 Miles North of Grand Rapids.) Glad to see another Michigander on here! Welcome to the Forum.

I also agree with getting 5'ers, instead of a box.

cre8v1
01-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Variety is the spice of life!

VTDragon
01-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Tiger Woods

shilala
01-09-2012, 02:23 PM
You've picked the right direction by sticking with singles. Experience everything you can so you can find out what you like. That way you can tell guys what you like and they can suggest similar (and usually better) sticks based on the info you'll provide.
Make sure you go check out the Newbie Sampler Trade. That's a must. It'll allow you to experience some stuff that more seasoned vets will share your way, plus it'll build your trade rep and eventually unlock the Want To Sell forum to you where you'll find a treasure trove or awesome sticks at awesome prices. :tu

Blak Smyth
01-09-2012, 02:50 PM
You've picked the right direction by sticking with singles. Experience everything you can so you can find out what you like. That way you can tell guys what you like and they can suggest similar (and usually better) sticks based on the info you'll provide.
Make sure you go check out the Newbie Sampler Trade. That's a must. It'll allow you to experience some stuff that more seasoned vets will share your way, plus it'll build your trade rep and eventually unlock the Want To Sell forum to you where you'll find a treasure trove or awesome sticks at awesome prices. :tu

Yes, Listen to Scott, he is wise! NST is the way to get started!:tu
Click the NST link in my signature!

Coop
01-09-2012, 03:24 PM

Do you have to have trader rep to view the WTS/WTT section??? The reason I ask is I am not a newbie to cigars, just this particular forum. I don't feel right doing a newbie trade section....

ASU Maduro
01-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Go with variety over status. Fill that thing up with what you like and possibly make trades for other sticks you've never had.

cjhalbrooks
01-09-2012, 05:29 PM
I would agree with almost every one and only buy samplers or five packs. If you want to buy alot of sticks at once then get a few packs. You will learn exactly what you like. I have been smoking for 2 almost 3 years.

Taki
01-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Definitely 5er's and definitely NST!!...best way to learn what you like and get variety :tu

PuffPuffGive1
01-09-2012, 08:33 PM
I was in the same position as you..had about 15 sticks left and thought 'oh no...i'm running out'. So I went online and bought another 40 or so to hold me over. And I was buying singles for the longest time before I decided on which brands I really liked. Then from there on out, it was 5 packs and boxes.

MrClean
01-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Do you have to have trader rep to view the WTS/WTT section??? The reason I ask is I am not a newbie to cigars, just this particular forum. I don't feel right doing a newbie trade section....

I'm not sure what the criteria exactly is. But after you've been here awhile, things do open up. I know several guys who were only new to the site but not cigars have participated in the NST. It's actually kinda fun to watch a knowledgeable person new to the site and a vet of the site trade. :2

:bx

44stampede
01-09-2012, 11:36 PM
I was just getting my 150 count humidor started 2 weeks ago and have it almost full. The only box will be a Cohiba Siglo VI and the rest are singles, 5s and 10s (mostly 5s). Almost all are from someone on this site recommending them.

WARNING: Almost all are from the DEVIL SITE. I can't stop watching that damn site...

Good news is that here I have many a friend or employee that are new to cigars that I can give ones I don't care for to and they would be grateful to have them.

Good luck!

Weelok
01-09-2012, 11:51 PM

+1 - with a 40 count I'd do singles and samplers to match a cigar with my mood.

CigarSquid
01-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Definitely 5er's and definitely NST!!...best way to learn what you like and get variety :tu

1 year in to it for me, and I have yet to buy a box.. I really want to just so I can say I have, But I even have a hard time committing to the 10-20 count bundles.

I love grabbing a 5er from all the different sites out there and a few singles/doubles from shops I pass and know.

I'm not sure what the criteria exactly is. But after you've been here awhile, things do open up. I know several guys who were only new to the site but not cigars have participated in the NST. It's actually kinda fun to watch a knowledgeable person new to the site and a vet of the site trade. :2

:bx

Things do open up.. GREAT THIGNS! Like I said, I have been here for a year and I am just getting on the NST. Exciting!

:tu :tu

Dave128
01-10-2012, 09:12 AM
I have limited humidor space (a 75 count and a 30 count) so I don't buy boxes. I stick with fivers or singles. I like the variety this affords me. It lets me try a ton of different sticks.

crazyirishman
01-10-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure where Grand Blanc is, but I'm from Newaygo (About 30 Miles North of Grand Rapids.) Glad to see another Michigander on here! Welcome to the Forum.

it's about 10 or so minutes south of Flint via 75

SteelCityBoy
01-10-2012, 11:59 AM

You just need to keep participating and stay involved on the forum and "some new doors" open up for you. Some of the things that help you in this area are:

100 posts/ 60 day membership/participation in trade (trader rating).

BTW, The NST doesn't need to just be for people that are completely new to cigars. Just helps get you some trader feedback and meet some new folks and spread the joy of cigar smoking around a little bit. :D

Hem
01-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Let us know what you get in! And if you like them!

shilala
01-12-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure about the trader rep. The unlock secrets are a mystery to everyone. Ken took a guess up there and from my time here, it seems about right. Everyone is encouraged to join the NST, and pretty much everyone does it. It's there to do lots of good things, but mostly to get members to participate in the site on a deeper level and gain trader rep.
It'll allow you to get to know some guys closely and talk to them via pm and share your likes and dislikes. It's a great way to make friends. Once you've done a trade, I do believe that should unlock a lot of other forums to you. That'll allow for you to participate even more, and hopefully join the NST as a CIA, where you'll be able to help new guys along.
Many, many, many guys who aren't new to cigars do the NST. It's a blast. Go give it a try, brother. :tu