PDA

View Full Version : What causes a metallic taste?

Diths0er
12-20-2011, 11:34 AM
And will a bit of aging remove it? I've noticed it occasionally on completely disparate brands of cigars. It's most noticeable if I inhale a bit through the nose as I'm taking a draw and I can really pick it up through the nose off of the lit end while drawing. Just inhaling the aroma of the lit end however does not produce it. It then leaves a metallic taste on the palate but it's mostly in the nose. The taste is still there if I don't inhale through the nose, but it isn't as pronounced. It taste like an old piece of (stainless?) steel that has been exposed to the atmosphere for a while, a "high-pitched" flavour/smell up there with the spice.
Any ideas on what it's from and what can be done about it? Is it permanent, or will resting remove it?

deadrise
12-20-2011, 11:46 AM
check this out (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49422)
I had the problem it was actully in my palet and took me about a month to loose it

Diths0er
12-20-2011, 12:31 PM
"I had the problem it was actully in my palet and took me about a month to loose it"

Yup, I read you're post first, but I don't think it's my palate because I'm not tasting it on every cigar. Also, I've tried cleansing my palate and it's a still there. I think mine is more of a nose impression that is affecting the taste.

Did you taste metal on every cigar, or was yours apparently random as well?

Crownedone
12-21-2011, 08:13 PM
I had this happened to me a while back also. I thought that it may had been a build up tar or perhaps I has pulling to hard or fast. So I purged a bit more and slowed down I also varied from a punch to a cutter to increase air flow. Seemed to work for me. Good luck

akumushi
12-21-2011, 10:11 PM
In my experience, low quality or improperly fermented tobacco. There is a certain metallic quality I associate with cheap dominican leaf. Take note of the origin of all the tobaccos and which brands that you're finding it in, then try to steer away from those in the future. Everyone's palate differs and some cigars will taste awful to one guy while it is delicious to another, so the best thing to do is to take notes and keep track of what you're smoking and what you like as you develop your palate.

hotreds
12-22-2011, 08:38 AM
metal?

j/k

shilala
12-22-2011, 08:48 AM
I get that with most all Connie wrappers. That's why you won't find a Connie wrapper among all my cigars. Plus I don't get any flavor at all from a Connie wrapper and the sticks are always boring and generally gross.
Try leaning towards Rosados or Cameroon (or any other wrapper).
That problem, plus the bitterness that comes with light wrappers is what led me to maduro wrappers, and I eventually just fell in love with them.

Skywalker
12-22-2011, 09:01 AM
check this out (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49422)
I had the problem it was actully in my palet and took me about a month to loose it

Or this...

http://rickmartinorthodontics.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/metal.232121146_std.jpg

Volusianator
12-22-2011, 10:16 AM
I've only noticed a somewhat metallic taste in Dominican cigars. Can you put a finger on the country of origin when you taste it?

akumushi
12-22-2011, 12:31 PM
I've only noticed a somewhat metallic taste in Dominican cigars. Can you put a finger on the country of origin when you taste it?

Glad it's not just me. Honestly, I've gotten that metallic taste out of every Opus X I've ever had, so it's not just the cheap Dominicans that have it.

Hunter5117
12-23-2011, 08:57 AM
I get the metallic taste part way through a cigar with a lot of different brands, but much more with Honduran sticks than with DR or Nics. For this reason I have pretty much given up on buying or smoking any more Hondurans, which does cut out a lot of great quality smokes.

Chemyst
12-23-2011, 09:16 PM
I had it in some La Perla Habanas.
Letting them rest for a few months solved the problem,
but mellowed them out, as well.

Chemyst :cool2:

Bubba - NJ
12-25-2011, 05:36 AM
Allergy medicine can cause a metallic taste occasionally . Lance pointed it out to me quite a few years ago .

RobR1205
12-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Although this a stretch, check your humidor and/or humidifying element. My humidifier got sour/metal smell to it for some reason (probably too much water). In any case, it transferred some of that nasty flavor to my cigars! Got a new one and my cigars were better in a week!