PDA

View Full Version : What are you roasting today?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

CigarSquid
01-16-2012, 08:52 AM
I like the smell of the roasting coffee. I am trying to listen the more i do it.

Blak Smyth
01-16-2012, 09:04 AM
I like the smell of the roasting coffee. I am trying to listen the more i do it.

Kinda reminds me of burnt popcorn, but the wife hates it so I have to run the stove fan.

BSB
01-16-2012, 09:32 AM
I do my roasting out in the garage, doors open for ventalation.

Mr B
01-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Yesterday was:
Costa Rica Finca Bella Vista to Full City,
also some Papua New Guinea & El Salvador to Full City, to make a blend I have been enjoying

Blak Smyth
01-16-2012, 09:47 AM
I do my roasting out in the garage, doors open for ventalation.

I thought about that, I am worried I would trip the breaker in the middle of a roast. My breakers trip often if I plug a heater in.
I also thought that the temps might keep it from working right, you live in CO though so I guess that isn't a factor?!?

ashtonlady
01-16-2012, 12:04 PM
We have a dedicated plug in the garage that I use, so there is not a chance of tripping it. BUt How cold does it get where you are right now this time of year?

Blak Smyth
01-16-2012, 12:10 PM
We have a dedicated plug in the garage that I use, so there is not a chance of tripping it. BUt How cold does it get where you are right now this time of year?

It gets down in the teens at night and stays around freezing during the day right now. I would say my garage stays about 40 degrees right now.

CigarSquid
01-16-2012, 01:32 PM
I thought about that, I am worried I would trip the breaker in the middle of a roast. My breakers trip often if I plug a heater in.
I also thought that the temps might keep it from working right, you live in CO though so I guess that isn't a factor?!?

I had that happen.. Turn it right back on. Seemed to go fine.. It was only into the roast maybe 5-7 minutes. I moved to the kitchen so I can get other things done. If I am all caught up inside, down to the garage so I can smoke as well!

ashtonlady
01-16-2012, 02:16 PM
It gets down in the teens at night and stays around freezing during the day right now. I would say my garage stays about 40 degrees right now.

That sounds like the temp I roast in. I have not had any issues. When it gets to cold in the garage, my roaster wont work. I like to roast in the garage because my son doesnt like the smell and I usially take the time to smoke and catch up on my fun reading on bullitin boards I am on.

Savor the Stick
01-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Remember Blak, the darker the roast, the longer you should let it rest. give that at least 3 days before trying. it may be better in 4-5 also.

Good information!
I had some Guat Hunapu that I had roasted on the 23 of Dec...very dark, probably the edge of Vienna. I just start drinking it again (Broken French Press) and it is soooooo good.:dr
I had let it degass for 5 days it has been sitting in a sealed mason since then. I am going to roast it again today like that and let it sit and degass for a while; I want to recreate that same thing.

What do you guys store your roasted beans in?

Mason Jar--loose seal for 24hrs, then tightened down.

BSB
01-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Usually in the mid 40s or higher, in the garage, when I roast. Although I have no problems, with either of my roasters working, when it gets colder.

ApexAZ
01-16-2012, 07:00 PM
I would say city+ as well. I don't like to roast this light because I hate to see so much chaff on the bean. This is something I am trying to overlook so I can make a roast that is best for the bean. I have roasted mostly to vienna or just under. It is hard to judge with my machine beacuse you can't hear the cracks. Thanks for posting pictures, It is helpful to see what your beans are looking like guys!

I think my picture kind of sucks. The exposure is too light. The beans are darker brown than that. Almost the same dark brown used in the CA theme here. Maybe not quite, but close. Some of the beans have some mild cracking at the edges, but I don't see any oil really and most are more uniform in color rather than splotchy.

The chaff is kind of annoying for me too, but according to SM, it doesnt have any taste. There is one benefit and that is that my plastic bin on my grinder seems to attract most of it instead of coffee, so that's good I guess.

Blak Smyth
01-17-2012, 05:06 AM
I think my picture kind of sucks. The exposure is too light. The beans are darker brown than that. Almost the same dark brown used in the CA theme here. Maybe not quite, but close. Some of the beans have some mild cracking at the edges, but I don't see any oil really and most are more uniform in color rather than splotchy.

The chaff is kind of annoying for me too, but according to SM, it doesnt have any taste. There is one benefit and that is that my plastic bin on my grinder seems to attract most of it instead of coffee, so that's good I guess.

Yah it must be better than the pic shows. I know, my iphone makes things look different some times too. I just did another roast last night, didn't push it as far. What do you guys think? What would you call this? Full City or FC+ maybe? A little chaff left inside the bean, no oils visible. Still a decent color on it though.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i325/Minecraftaholics/77ccc1ac.jpg

BSB
01-17-2012, 08:23 AM
No oil or tiny drops of oil = FC and that is good :D

Blak Smyth
01-17-2012, 08:30 AM
No oil or tiny drops of oil = FC and that is good :D

:tu

Savor the Stick
01-17-2012, 11:54 AM
I roasted a 1/2 lb of Colombian Supremo yesterday for a package going out. Gonna do some more today.....getting a little low on fresh roast.

I want to do one of these today....any suggestions?

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn179/jonesie_007/000_0003-4.jpg (http://http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn179/jonesie_007/000_0003-4.jpg)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn179/jonesie_007/000_0002-6.jpg (http://http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn179/jonesie_007/000_0002-6.jpg)

Blak Smyth
01-17-2012, 12:05 PM
I vote Brazil, but they both sound good!
Haha that is funny, you can see my post in the background of your pic!
That reminds me Kevin I need to get a package out to you now that I am feeling more comfortable with my roasts.
I have some new beans on order, I will try to get a little package out after I receive them!

Savor the Stick
01-18-2012, 02:29 PM
I vote Brazil, but they both sound good!
Haha that is funny, you can see my post in the background of your pic!
That reminds me Kevin I need to get a package out to you now that I am feeling more comfortable with my roasts.
I have some new beans on order, I will try to get a little package out after I receive them!

Well after thinking about which to roast up I went with the African Ugandan...it was a tough choice.

While I would love to try some of your roasted coffee Shane...I have a major surplus of it right now; more then I can drink and savor, gonna have to give some away.
So hold off for a while. Thanks buddy.:tu

I would like to hear what you think of the Monkey Blend...I have heard great things about it. Just never ordered it.

Blak Smyth
01-18-2012, 02:33 PM
I have just roasted a zombie blend! It is the left over bits of four different beans I had thrown together!

Savor the Stick
01-18-2012, 02:35 PM
I have just roasted a zombie blend! It is the left over bits of four different beans I had thrown together!

:r:noon:r

Blak Smyth
01-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Last nights, trying to get a city+ to full city.
You can see the bottom of a darker roast I did just before.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i325/Minecraftaholics/4a9e46ef.jpg

The "Zombie Blend" is what I call it because I brought all these dead beans back to life! (Not pictured)

I was trying to get a variety of different level roasts (Different beans too):
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i325/Minecraftaholics/3f133275.jpg

ApexAZ
01-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Last nights, trying to get a city+ to full city.
You can see the bottom of a darker roast I did just before.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i325/Minecraftaholics/4a9e46ef.jpg

The "Zombie Blend" is what I call it because I brought all these dead beans back to life! (Not pictured)

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i325/Minecraftaholics/3f133275.jpg

You sure are roasting a lot. Do you use it all that quick?

Blak Smyth
01-18-2012, 02:44 PM
You sure are roasting a lot. Do you use it all that quick?

I go through it quick, but I am in a coffee pass that is in shipping to my house now and I am going away in a couple weeks to a cabin in the mountains with a bunch of coffee drinking guys! I am bringing the cigars and coffee:r

There is not as much in those bags as it may appear, they are flattened out. Only about 1/3rd filled up right.

ApexAZ
01-18-2012, 02:47 PM
I go through it quick, but I am in a coffee pass that is in shipping to my house now and I am going away in a couple weeks to a cabin in the mountains with a bunch of coffee drinking guys! I am bringing the cigars and coffee:r

There is not as much in those bags as it may appear, they are flattened out. Only about 1/3rd filled up right.

Ah! I forgot to mention the roast looks good!

Blak Smyth
01-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Ah! I forgot to mention the roast looks good!

Thanks, you can't really judge any of the pics from an iphone.
I can never get them to look exactly like they are.

Basically I need to do a small roast every other day to make sure I have enough rested coffee available.

ApexAZ
01-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks, you can't really judge any of the pics from an iphone.
I can never get them to look exactly like they are.

Basically I need to do a small roast every other day to make sure I have enough rested coffee available.

How much is a small roast for you? I'm in the process of determining how much I need to roast per week.

Also, do you have any idea how much weight the beans lose during the roast?

Mr B
01-18-2012, 04:30 PM

I have created some of my favorite blends that way.

BSB
01-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Roasted up some Sumatra Dry Hulled Aceh Bukit. Took it solidly into 2nd crack, should be a Lt. Vienna. This is a funny coffee, takes longer and hotter to get there. This may turn out to be a FC++
Those roasts are looking good, btw :tu

Mr B
01-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Roasted up some Sumatra Dry Hulled Aceh Bukit. Took it solidly into 2nd crack, should be a Lt. Vienna. This is a funny coffee, takes longer and hotter to get there. This may turn out to be a FC++
Those roasts are looking good, btw :tu

Thats a good one. The Tarbarita Peaberry is great too.

BSB
01-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Thats a good one. The Tarbarita Peaberry is great too.

Geez, 2 of my favs :banger It was actually a "bater" on which one to roast. Tarbarita next time.

Blak Smyth
01-18-2012, 07:54 PM
How much is a small roast for you? I'm in the process of determining how much I need to roast per week.

Also, do you have any idea how much weight the beans lose during the roast?

I am not weighing anything currently. I have a Nesco and it only works well with small batches, I would guess about 1/4 lb (maybe more like 1/3lb)

BSB
01-19-2012, 08:00 AM
I do 130 gram batches in the Fresh Roast.
Coffee loses about 20% of it's weight during roasting.

ApexAZ
01-19-2012, 09:05 AM
I do 130 gram batches in the Fresh Roast.
Coffee loses about 20% of it's weight during roasting.

Thanks!

Blak Smyth
01-20-2012, 05:59 AM
Think I am roasting my Monkey Blend tonight so I can get some into the coffee pass, loving the SM label on this one:
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i325/Minecraftaholics/b07d649c.jpg

ApexAZ
01-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Think I am roasting my Monkey Blend tonight so I can get some into the coffee pass..jpg

Can't wait to see what you think of it. I already did my Gniess espresso blend, so I think I'm going to do some single origin for next week instead of the monkey.

What is a coffee pass?

Blak Smyth
01-20-2012, 11:12 AM
What is a coffee pass?

It is a group pass, people sign up and ship a box around the country adding and subtracting equivalents as they choose. It is a cool way to try different coffee from around the country.

If you don't have access yet, you will before too long:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=52160

ApexAZ
01-20-2012, 01:37 PM
I do have access I just don't look at it all that often I guess. I wouldn't have expected to find a coffee type thread in the cigar section.

Blak Smyth
01-20-2012, 01:46 PM
I do have access I just don't look at it all that often I guess. I wouldn't have expected to find a coffee type thread in the cigar section.

It is a coffee and cigar pass actually, the perfect pairing:r

BSB
01-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Guatemala Acatenango Finca La Soledad
Gonna shoot for just FC

CigarSquid
01-21-2012, 09:08 AM
think i am roasting my monkey blend tonight so i can get some into the coffee pass, loving the sm label on this one:
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i325/minecraftaholics/b07d649c.jpg

do it!

Garbandz
01-21-2012, 09:58 AM
MMMM--MMMMMM..........Roast Monkey.....The Other - Other White Meat.........

Just finished up roasting some Bob-O Link,
Luchadores pacamara,
El Salvador Montecarlos,
and some Burundi Kayanza.

Blak Smyth
01-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Sorry coffee passers if you are reading this, the box will not fit anymore coffee and I need to catch up with what I have roasted now before I roast anymore.

CigarSquid
01-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Awwwww

ApexAZ
01-22-2012, 12:49 PM
I roasted some Ethopian Limu Jimma - Alaga Sekala that I got in the SM sampler.

I honestly don't know what it is other than it comes from Etheopia. I tried to get it to City+ according to the recommendations on the bag. I should be able to try it tomorrow!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7168/6744016707_4d6dcbc2fd_z.jpg

CigarSquid
01-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Looks good.

Blak Smyth
01-24-2012, 08:29 AM
I roasted some Ethopian Limu Jimma - Alaga Sekala that I got in the SM sampler.

I honestly don't know what it is other than it comes from Etheopia. I tried to get it to City+ according to the recommendations on the bag. I should be able to try it tomorrow!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7168/6744016707_4d6dcbc2fd_z.jpg

Can't wait to hear what you think!

BSB
01-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Gonna do some El Salvador Las Mercedes Pacamara this morning.

ApexAZ
01-24-2012, 09:49 AM
The Ethopian Limu Jimma - Alaga Sekala is very good! It definitely has the notes of citrus they describe. They describe it as being 'bright', but I'm not sure what that means.

I also found out that Limu is the region and that it's on the cusp of what was originally part of the Jimma region, which is why they list both? The Alaga Sekala is the name of the direct trade program they purchase the coffee through.

When I finish this up, I want to try a different region and look for more earthy type flavors. I think I will probably prefer that over the fruit flavors.

I can honestly say that the coffee beats the hell out of dunkin and starbucks.

Mr B
01-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Scroll down to see Sweet Maria's def. of Brightness.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/dictionary.php

BSB
01-24-2012, 11:03 AM
The Ethopian Limu Jimma - Alaga Sekala is very good! It definitely has the notes of citrus they describe. They describe it as being 'bright', but I'm not sure what that means.

I also found out that Limu is the region and that it's on the cusp of what was originally part of the Jimma region, which is why they list both? The Alaga Sekala is the name of the direct trade program they purchase the coffee through.

When I finish this up, I want to try a different region and look for more earthy type flavors. I think I will probably prefer that over the fruit flavors.

I can honestly say that the coffee beats the hell out of dunkin and starbucks.

If you want "earthy," I suggest some Sumatrans.

Mr B
01-24-2012, 12:30 PM
If you want "earthy," I suggest some Sumatrans.

Agreed

BSB
01-24-2012, 12:50 PM
SM has a couple nice ones, the Dry Hulled Aceh Bukit and the Tarbarita Peaberry.
Roasted a pound each, of the Aceh Bukit, and Colombia Guteirrez Micro, and sent to a friend.

Mr B
01-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Wednesday night was a 1/4 lb of each;

Rwanda Kibuye Gitesi to Full City.
Ethiopia DP Sidama Aleta Wondo to Full City.
Sumatra Tarbarita Peaberry to Full City.
and El Salvador Majahual Tablon La Montana to City +.

BSB
01-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Guatemala Huehuetenango Finca Rosma to FC

BSB
01-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Colombia Tolima Felix Guzman Microlot This coffee roasted up as pretty as any coffee I have ever seen. No quakers, NONE. Just beautiful, cupping Wed.
From SM

Blak Smyth
01-31-2012, 05:17 AM
Finally roasted the Espresso Monkey Blend last night. Can't wait to try it!

ApexAZ
01-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Finally roasted the Espresso Monkey Blend last night. Can't wait to try it!

Very nice. I plan on roasting some of that next weekend, depending on how much I have left by then.

I have overroasted some Bolivian Beneficio Buenaventura Lot 45 to a LV-V roast that I finally started drinking. It's not bad but I didn't want to roast it quite so much.

I also ended up overroasting some El Salvador Majajual - Tablon La Montana. Also probably LV-V. Ugh.

I need to turn my heat down some I think.

ApexAZ
01-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Colombia Tolima Felix Guzman Microlot No quakers, NONE. Just beautiful, cupping Wed.
From SM

Are you suppose to remove them?

BSB
01-31-2012, 10:18 AM
are you suppose to remove them?

absolutley!!

Blak Smyth
01-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Are you suppose to remove them?

Remove what? I am missing something here.
Quakers? What are quakers?

Mr B
01-31-2012, 11:17 AM
They are the super light brown, almost Tan colored beans. They often times can add a bad or sour taste to the cup.

ApexAZ
01-31-2012, 12:35 PM
I think I remember reading that they are beans that weren't fully ripe when picked. Is this true?

Mr B
01-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Yes, that is true. Check out the Glossary in the Library on the Sweet Marias page. Very helpful.

BSB
01-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Being OC, I pick out everything that doesn't look right. Including the quakers, underroasted and scorched. I use the max amount of beans in the FR, so I get a few scorched, every roast.

Blak Smyth
01-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Yes, that is true. Check out the Glossary in the Library on the Sweet Marias page. Very helpful.

Found it thanks, good info there!

BSB
02-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Just did a small batch, of the Colombia Guzman, to city+:cf1

Blak Smyth
02-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Roasted Moka Kadir last night, it smells amazing.
I gotta say this is the best smelling roast so far, not perfectly even roast though.
Can't wait to try it this weekend!

BSB
02-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Roasted Moka Kadir last night, it smells amazing.
I gotta say this is the best smelling roast so far, not perfectly even roast though.
Can't wait to try it this weekend!

That is one of my favorite blends. You won't get that even of a roast, with the pre-roast blending of different coffees. Not usually anyways. There is gonna be some difference between the different kinds of beans. Also, if memory serves me well (and it often doesn't :confused:) there should be a fairly good amount of quakers in that blend.

Blak Smyth
02-01-2012, 09:53 AM
That is one of my favorite blends. You won't get that even of a roast, with the pre-roast blending of different coffees. Not usually anyways. There is gonna be some difference between the different kinds of beans. Also, if memory serves me well (and it often doesn't :confused:) there should be a fairly good amount of quakers in that blend.

I pulled out about three quakers of a 1/3 pound.
Man the aroma alone has me excited!:tu

BSB
02-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Brazil Cerrado Fazenda No-Name-O I did this 2 tone, half city+ for the nuttiness, half FC+ for the chocolate. Chocolate covered nuts sounded good to me :D First cupping on Sunday.

Mr B
02-03-2012, 09:26 AM
LOL, that does sound good!

BSB
02-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Just finished roasting something different, Sweet Maria's Shanga Babor SWP Decaf Blend, took it to FC. SM's description on this sounds excellent, thought I'd give it a try. Who knows, maybe can start drinking coffee in the evenings :D

ApexAZ
02-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Just finished roasting something different, Sweet Maria's Shanga Babor SWP Decaf Blend, took it to FC. SM's description on this sounds excellent, thought I'd give it a try. Who knows, maybe can start drinking coffee in the evenings :D

That sounds interesting.

Mr B
02-03-2012, 03:56 PM

I have been thinking the same thing, when I crave a good cup in the evening.

BSB
02-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Roasting decaf sure is different though. I followed normal procedure, took this just to the start of 2nd and it came out pretty dark :confused: with some oil spots, which I rarely see this soon after a roast. I may cup this tomorrow afternoon, just to see :D

BSB
02-03-2012, 07:42 PM
I just did some reading, about roasting decaf, on SM forum. I think I'm gonna be okay, but next time I will slow the roast down some. The problem appears to be, the outside roasts faster than the inside and you get under roasted even though the outside looks good. I heard 2nd crack start, on both batches, so I should be alright, if just a bit over roasted.

BSB
02-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Ethiopia FTO Gedeo Worka, to city+

ApexAZ
02-08-2012, 03:16 PM
I just did some reading, about roasting decaf, on SM forum. I think I'm gonna be okay, but next time I will slow the roast down some. The problem appears to be, the outside roasts faster than the inside and you get under roasted even though the outside looks good. I heard 2nd crack start, on both batches, so I should be alright, if just a bit over roasted.

Have you tried it yet?

BSB
02-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Have you tried it yet?

I have, it's very good. I think I posted in "what are you drinking." I did post #659.
It will be better the next time with a slower, more even roast.
Today I roasted Costa Rica Finca Bella Vista to FC.

ApexAZ
02-09-2012, 03:01 PM
I have, it's very good. I think I posted in "what are you drinking." I did post #659.
It will be better the next time with a slower, more even roast.
Today I roasted Costa Rica Finca Bella Vista to FC.

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

BSB
02-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Just brewed and am having a cup of the Shanga Babor :cf1 Roasted 6 days ago, nice sweetness, some chocolate. Wouldn't know this is decaf, that's for sure. I am excited to do this "right" next time.

ApexAZ
02-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Finally roasted some of the Monkey Blend to about light Vienna. Should get to try it by Monday!

CigarSquid
02-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Roasting some Costa Rica El Tigre.

Question, how many roast back to back do you do? I have the Nesco roaster.

BSB
02-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Roasting some Costa Rica El Tigre.

Question, how many roast back to back do you do? I have the Nesco roaster.

There are some variables involved. I use the FreshRoast and was roasting in a 38 degree garage this morning. I believe, in that temp, I could roast back to back for as long as I wish. In warmer weather, I double cool cycle.
This morning's roast, Colombia Tolima - Einar Ortiz Micrlot, to FC. Was limited to 1 pound purchase, from SM.

Blak Smyth
02-12-2012, 06:21 PM
El Salvador Finca La Montanita Bourbon
Moka Kadir Blend
Espresso Monkey Blend

BSB
02-12-2012, 06:31 PM
El Salvador Finca La Montanita Bourbon
Moka Kadir Blend
Espresso Monkey Blend

NICE! How many days are you roasting for?

Blak Smyth
02-12-2012, 06:50 PM
NICE! How many days are you roasting for?

My roaster only does small roasts well (Nesco). I am also roasting for two other BOTL.
During the week one roast lasts me about three days. http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i325/Minecraftaholics/73a1dbd6.jpg
I'm pretty sure this was the monkey blend. It never looks the same on my iPhone camera.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i325/Minecraftaholics/e81f54c1.jpg

CigarSquid
02-12-2012, 07:15 PM
That looks so good.

I did a bunch of Costa Rica El Tigre today.

Chainsaw13
02-12-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm thinking I may start home roasting. Been buying from a local roaster, a lb at a time. But I don't go through it fast enough to ensure it stays the freshest. Was just reading the DIY guides on Sweet Maria's. Seems pretty easy if I can find a popper for cheap and I can do small batches which will suit me just fine.

And does anyone know the regulations on bringing back green beans from outside the country? I'm going to Brazil and my boss told me about a contact at the plant I'm going to who's family also owns a coffee plantation.

Blak Smyth
02-13-2012, 05:52 AM
I'm thinking I may start home roasting. Been buying from a local roaster, a lb at a time. But I don't go through it fast enough to ensure it stays the freshest. Was just reading the DIY guides on Sweet Maria's. Seems pretty easy if I can find a popper for cheap and I can do small batches which will suit me just fine.

And does anyone know the regulations on bringing back green beans from outside the country? I'm going to Brazil and my boss told me about a contact at the plant I'm going to who's family also owns a coffee plantation.

I recomend roasting your own. It is a lot of work, but there is a sense of pride to roasting your own. You will be able to control your quantity. I don't know about bringing coffee through customs.

Chainsaw13
02-13-2012, 05:56 AM
If I can find a popper for cheap, I'm going to start roasting.

After reading the word on Brazilian coffee on SM's, I don't think I"ll be trying to bring any back.

Blak Smyth
02-13-2012, 05:59 AM

After reading the word on Brazilian coffee on SM's, I don't think I"ll be trying to bring any back.

I have the Nesco roaster, it is cheap compared to some of the nicer units. It doesn't work well for larger batches. I would recommend it for a small batch unit. Eventually I want to upgrade and I will sell my roaster here but not close to ready to upgrade yet.

BSB
02-13-2012, 08:20 AM

Fresh Roast has worked well for me for many years, swear by it. I know popper users though and they are happy with their results.

ApexAZ
02-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Mine works pretty good, but I'm still working on perfecting it, which may be impossible considering that it seems different coffess have different roasting properties.

Even still, you can't beat $22 for a popper on amazon.

BSB
02-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Mine works pretty good, but I'm still working on perfecting it, which may be impossible considering that it seems different coffess have different roasting properties.

Even still, you can't beat $22 for a popper on amazon.

True dat!
I like the extra control the SR500 offers, with 3 temps and variable fan speeds. Although, I confess, it is rare that I ever turn the fan down from max. Wish it blew a little harder.
On the other hand, I use low temp to "dry" the beans, med temp to roast and high if I need to give them and extra shot in the last couple mins, to get as dark as I like.
I also really enjoy seeing the beans, while they roast.

ApexAZ
02-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Someone (can't remember who now) makes a universal rotisserie that just stands on the grilling surface. I was thinking about seeing if I could modify one to hold a drum, maybe from Behmor. I wonder how it would taste over charcoal? It may not make any difference seeing as it doesn't take too long to roast, but it would be an interesting experiment.

BSB
02-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Someone (can't remember who now) makes a universal rotisserie that just stands on the grilling surface. I was thinking about seeing if I could modify one to hold a drum, maybe from Behmor. I wonder how it would taste over charcoal? It may not make any difference seeing as it doesn't take too long to roast, but it would be an interesting experiment.

I really like doing very small roasts. If I need to do large, I have a Coffee Kinetics, which does about a pound. Sounds like it might be fun to try, I'm not sure a Behmor would stand the heat though.

Blak Smyth
02-13-2012, 09:30 AM

I have a friend with a 10lb capacity rotiserrie for his bbq, I think it was like $500 though.

Here is a similar one:
http://www.rkdrums.com/index.php/products/drums/rk-8lb-drum

ApexAZ
02-13-2012, 09:34 AM
I really like doing very small roasts. If I need to do large, I have a Coffee Kinetics, which does about a pound. Sounds like it might be fun to try, I'm not sure a Behmor would stand the heat though.

I can easily control my temps to < 500*. Do you think that would still be too hot? Also, is there any reason why you couldn't limit the amount you put in there? I've never used a drum roaster, but my thought is that you don't have to fill it.

Although truthfully, the popper seems to work fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Probably the biggest benefit of having something better would be to see the coffee without disrupting the agitation. With the popper, I have to stop, open it, look inside, then resume. I feel very rushed when doing this as I don't want to scorch any beans.

I also end up roasting in the dark on weeknights, which makes it hard to see, even with a good flashlight. This would be problematic for any type of outdoor roasting method during the winter months though.

Mr B
02-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Yesterday was about a 1/2 lb of each:
Guatamala Bourbon Finca San Diego Bella Vista to FC+
Kenya Nyeri Ngunguru to FC+
and Papua New Guinea Baroida Estate to FC+

BSB
02-13-2012, 10:00 AM
I can easily control my temps to < 500*. Do you think that would still be too hot? Also, is there any reason why you couldn't limit the amount you put in there? I've never used a drum roaster, but my thought is that you don't have to fill it.

Although truthfully, the popper seems to work fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Probably the biggest benefit of having something better would be to see the coffee without disrupting the agitation. With the popper, I have to stop, open it, look inside, then resume. I feel very rushed when doing this as I don't want to scorch any beans.

I also end up roasting in the dark on weeknights, which makes it hard to see, even with a good flashlight. This would be problematic for any type of outdoor roasting method during the winter months though.

500 is plenty hot! don't know if you'd have issues.
Looking for me is to see how the beans are moving, not color. They start to move a certain way, when they are just to FC. I weigh my roasts and do almost exactly the same everytime, so you get to know.

Blak Smyth
02-15-2012, 05:43 AM
El Salvador Finca Montanita Bourbon
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7045/6880621305_b9ebc3d912_z.jpg

ApexAZ
02-15-2012, 07:17 AM
El Salvador Finca Montanita Bourbon
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7045/6880621305_b9ebc3d912_z.jpg

Looks good, Shane! I had a different varietal from El Salvador and it's been my favorite so far.

Blak Smyth
02-15-2012, 07:25 AM
Looks good, Shane! I had a different varietal from El Salvador and it's been my favorite so far.

Nice, can't wait to try this one. I will likely try it on Friday.

BSB
02-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Sumatra Bodhi Leaf Grade A Mandheling roasted to FC+
From Klatch

Mr B
02-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Shane, that El Salvador is a good one. I liked it alot too.

Chainsaw13
02-16-2012, 06:02 AM
Here comes another slippery slope. Just ordered this from The Peoples Roast website.

Popaire 2 Popper and 2 lbs. of green coffee: Colombia Asociacion Los Naranjos San Agustin, Huila

Not bad for $30 shipped. Cheap investment to get me started.

Blak Smyth
02-16-2012, 06:05 AM
Here comes another slippery slope. Just ordered this from The Peoples Roast website.

Popaire 2 Popper and 2 lbs. of green coffee: Colombia Asociacion Los Naranjos San Agustin, Huila

Awesome Bob, can't wait to see your results! Welcome to the home roast society!!!

BSB
02-16-2012, 09:23 AM

:wo :we :gl I don't know anything about "The People's Roast." The name worries me a little, just sounds to communist :eek: :r

Mr B
02-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Good luck Bob!

ApexAZ
02-16-2012, 09:39 AM

kenstogie
02-16-2012, 09:51 AM

:tu +1
Did the popcorn popper roasting thing and here's the thread, might help, might not.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21573&highlight=popcorn+coffee+roasting&page=2

Chainsaw13
02-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks Ken. I figure the $30 investement was cheap enough to get me started. Then if I find I don't like it, I'm not out much. Plus the 2lbs of beans will help get me going. I've had that Naranjos before and liked it, so that's a bonus.

Blak Smyth
02-17-2012, 05:52 AM
Moka Kadir Blend
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7194/6891146591_6a4ae47145_z.jpg

Chainsaw13
02-17-2012, 05:54 AM
Just got notification from the place I'm buying the roaster. They can send me three different beans as part of the package. Burundi Gacokwe, Mexico Chiapas and Colombia Los Naranjos. 12oz of each. Excellent!

Blak Smyth
02-17-2012, 06:06 AM
Just got notification from the place I'm buying the roaster. They can send me three different beans as part of the package. Burundi Gacokwe, Mexico Chiapas and Colombia Los Naranjos. 12oz of each. Excellent!

I had a Mexican roast a couple months ago at a B&M and was surprised with how good it was.

Blak Smyth
02-17-2012, 07:24 AM
Just placed another SM order:
Papua New Guinea Baroida Estate
Ethiopia Illubabor -Camp Cooperative
Bolivia Beneficio Buenaventura Lot 45
Costa Rica Finca San Francisco

Mr B
02-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Just placed another SM order:
Papua New Guinea Baroida Estate
Ethiopia Illubabor -Camp Cooperative
Bolivia Beneficio Buenaventura Lot 45
Costa Rica Finca San Francisco

BSB
02-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Did 2 small batches of Ethiopia Pulp Natural Process Limu, this morning.
Breaking out the big roaster and I'll be doing 5 pounds, later today.

Mr B
02-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Saturday was:
Blend of 2/3 Costa Fica Finca Bella Vista at City +
and 1/3 Papua New Guniea Baorida Estate at Full City +

also Guatamala Acatenango Finca La Solidad at Full City

also another French Roast Blend of:
1/3 Sumatra Tarbarita Peaberry
1/3 Ethiopia DP Sidama Aleta Wondo
1/3 El Salvador Majahual Tablon La Montana

BSB
02-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Roasted a double small batch of El salvador Finca La Montanita Bourbon. Warming the garage up to fire up the big roaster. gonna do 6 pounds for friends.

Mr B
02-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Awesome!

Blak Smyth
02-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Roasted a double small batch of El salvador Finca La Montanita Bourbon. Warming the garage up to fire up the big roaster. gonna do 6 pounds for friends.

Oh thats a good one :tu

BSB
02-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Ya, I'm looking forward to it.

ApexAZ
02-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Roasted some SM Espresso Workshop blend #21 - The Satpura Fold last night. Roasted to Full City (I think). I should be able to try it wednesday moring.

Blak Smyth
02-21-2012, 12:30 PM
I made some labels for my coffee bean bags.

BSB
02-21-2012, 02:04 PM
13 pounds, 5 of BSB's Special Blend, Gautemala, Sumatra, El Salvador, Brazil, good day.

Mr B
02-21-2012, 03:58 PM
I made some labels for my coffee bean bags.

Are you using Avery Labels? How well are they sticking?

Mr B
02-21-2012, 03:59 PM
13 pounds, 5 of BSB's Special Blend, Gautemala, Sumatra, El Salvador, Brazil, good day.

MarkinAZ
02-21-2012, 05:46 PM

You're just a blending n' roasting fool Bob:D;)

Blak Smyth
02-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Are you using Avery Labels? How well are they sticking?

Just using some label sheets. Works great.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i325/Minecraftaholics/12dc1923.jpg

BSB
02-21-2012, 09:56 PM
They look awesome!

BSB
02-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Yesterday I roasted some Colombia Tolima Felix Guzman Microlot. My daughter is helping at a wedding show, we are doing tomorrow, and asked for something good from South America. This oughta do the trick :cf1

Chainsaw13
02-25-2012, 10:34 AM
How bad is it roasting indoor with a popper? I just got my stuff and going to give it a shot, but going to need to roast inside. Too cold out to do in the garage. Also, my range hood doesn't vent outside, so I'm thinking an open window or two if it gets too bad.

BSB
02-25-2012, 10:59 AM
How bad is it roasting indoor with a popper? I just got my stuff and going to give it a shot, but going to need to roast inside. Too cold out to do in the garage. Also, my range hood doesn't vent outside, so I'm thinking an open window or two if it gets too bad.

I'm thinking, you are gonna have smoke issues. Might wanna turn off your smoke alarms, before you start :D

BSB
02-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Too cold to roast in the garage, but you are gonna open some windows?? :confused:

Chainsaw13
02-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Too cold to roast in the garage, but you are gonna open some windows?? :confused:

Will a small couple ounce roast produce any smoke? Obviously iy depends on how dark of roast i go. That's what I'm concerned about. Opening the windows will just be to clear it out. I think in the garage it won't be able to get hot enough with the ambient temp being so low.

BSB
02-25-2012, 12:17 PM
I roast in the garage all the time. But, I'm not using a popper.

Chainsaw13
02-25-2012, 12:20 PM
I roast in the garage all the time. But, I'm not using a popper.

Well I got a heater on in here, probably in the mid 40's. Going to give it a go!

ApexAZ
02-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Put it by a window with a fan blowing out?

Chainsaw13
02-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Did my first two roasts out in the garage. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I'll continue to explore this and see the different results I get.
First roast was 2.2oz of a Mexican Chiapas

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=618&pictureid=6818

I'm guessing since the popper was cold, it took longer for first crack, about 7-8 minutes. I kept it going until the 12 min mark and achieved this color. I"m using a Popaire 2 popper. I don't think this has the wattage of the Poppery II's. Combine that with the cooler ambient temp and I think that's why it took so long to reach this stage. The color is actually a bit darker than what it shows in the pic.

Did another batch, 2.3oz of Burundi Gacokwe. This one hit first crack at just over 5 minutes probably due to the popper being warmed up. I took this one to 9 min total.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=618&pictureid=6817

We'll see how they taste tomorrow, then start tweaking the roasting times. If the taste of the beans themselves is any indication, I'm going to like them both.

BSB
02-25-2012, 01:32 PM
They look good. Extended roasting times can lead to "baked" rather than roasted beans, not a good thing. I always pre-heat my roaster, when it is cold.

Chainsaw13
02-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks, I'll definitely do that next time. I just tried another batch of some Columbian Los Naranjos to see if I could get it darker. Took it to the 15 minute mark and it wasn't getting anywhere. Maybe as the outside temps increase it'll work better. But still impressed how easy it is for such little investment. I'm hooked, but then I knew I would be.

Chainsaw13
02-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Ohh, another slippery slope I slide...

Just placed an order with SM's. 1lb of the Monkey Blend, the 4lb sampler, and then about 30 bags of various sizes. I can see passing out some of this to friends/family.

CigarSquid
02-26-2012, 08:10 AM

Just placed an order with SM's. 1lb of the Monkey Blend, the 4lb sampler, and then about 30 bags of various sizes. I can see passing out some of this to friends/family.

I have been waiting to pull the trigger on some of those as well.:gary

What am I waiting for? No clue. I need to just order them.

Blak Smyth
02-26-2012, 05:04 PM
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i325/Minecraftaholics/98dbfdf6.jpg
Roasted the Popua New Ginuea and the Costa Rica today.

MarkinAZ
02-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Got a couple of half bags of El Salvador de Santa Rita and Ethiopia FTO Sidama that need to be roasted. Guess I need to get my butt in gear!

First roast was 2.2oz of a Mexican Chiapas
Did another batch, 2.3oz of Burundi Gacokwe.

Those are nice looking color on both varieties Bob. I generally use about 3.5 oz of green beans per batch. Depending on the variety, I usually obtain a first crack around 2:44 min, and usually pull the plug on the roasting cycle at 7:00 min for the cool down. Roasting on the patio out back, air temp is usually around 60*-80* during the roast cycle...

Just placed an order with SM's. 1lb of the Monkey Blend...

Nice bean. You should enjoy the Monkey Blend...

Chainsaw13
02-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks Mark, I'm reading right now about how much to roast each batch. Next time I'm going it increase the bean weight and see how it performs. The videos on SM's talk about just under half a cup, which is what my weights were at. But everything I'm reading says use 2/3 to 3/4 cup, or up to 4oz.

Temps are still low here, in the mid 30's to low 40's. Even with the propane heater going in the garage, it still doesn't get that warm. Guess I should do something about all those gaps in the walls. :r

MarkinAZ
02-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks Mark, I'm reading right now about how much to roast each batch. Next time I'm going it increase the bean weight and see how it performs. The videos on SM's talk about just under half a cup, which is what my weights were at. But everything I'm reading says use 2/3 to 3/4 cup, or up to 4oz.

Temps are still low here, in the mid 30's to low 40's. Even with the propane heater going in the garage, it still doesn't get that warm. Guess I should do something about all those gaps in the walls. :r

Some Touch N' Foam Max Expanding Sealant and Duct Tape?;)

physiognomy
02-26-2012, 08:17 PM
We had the roaster out tonight... My wife roasted her first batch of beans on the Behmor & they came out very well. She stopped a 1/2lb batch of Ethiopia Natural Sidamo Ardi right at City+. Very strong chocolate and 'blueberry' aromas... I can't wait to try them tomorrow.

Blak Smyth
02-27-2012, 05:55 AM

The Nesco requires almost 30 mins to roast a small batch, it has to be the most time consuming roaster out there.

BSB
02-27-2012, 09:47 AM
El Salvador Las Mercedes Pepinal 1, from Klatch. Roasted up pretty nice, to just FC.

Blak Smyth
02-27-2012, 10:09 AM
El Salvador Las Mercedes Pepinal 1, from Klatch. Roasted up pretty nice, to just FC.

Sounds delightful!

ApexAZ
02-27-2012, 10:52 AM

I'm sure it depends on the popper. I think the idea is just to keep the beans moving.

BSB
02-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Sounds delightful!

I'll let ya know on Wed -(P

Chainsaw13
02-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Just got my tracking number from SM's. :noon

x man
02-28-2012, 07:42 AM
I`ve been using my Westbend Poppery 2 for 2 yrs now.
I put in 6 to 8 ozs. in a measuring cup, depending on the density of the beans.
It was 60 in Philly yesterday, i roasted 1 1/2 lbs. of Ethiopian Yir.

BSB
02-28-2012, 09:34 AM

There is a great, peanutty aroma, coming from the beans today, very excited, very excited! :noon

ApexAZ
02-28-2012, 09:49 AM
I roasted some El Salvador Majahual -Tablon La Montana to Full City + on Saturday. I can't wait to drink it. Just now finishing up the last of the Satpura Fold blend.

Mr B
02-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Try blending it w/ about 2/3 Papua New Guinea at FC/FC+. It makes a great blend

ApexAZ
02-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Roasted the second half of my Ethiopia Limu Jimma - Alaga Sekala. Was shooting for city + but it looks more like full city I guess.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7066/6942472311_a5e51f6ec5.jpg

BSB
03-01-2012, 09:32 AM
I see a few beans I'd pull out of there, but that's just me.
Roasted some Guatemala Genuine Antigua Covadonga to FC. From Klatch.

ApexAZ
03-01-2012, 05:11 PM
I see a few beans I'd pull out of there, but that's just me.
Roasted some Guatemala Genuine Antigua Covadonga to FC. From Klatch.

There were even lighter ones I chucked. The others I wasn't quite sure on.

Mr B
03-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Ethiopians tend to have a range of colors. It is good to get rid of those true quakers though. The Real light tan ones.

BSB
03-01-2012, 06:45 PM
I'm just very picky -(P

icehog3
03-01-2012, 07:03 PM
smitty.

ApexAZ
03-01-2012, 10:33 PM
smitty.

non sequitur

Blak Smyth
03-02-2012, 06:30 AM
Roasted the second half of my Ethiopia Limu Jimma - Alaga Sekala. Was shooting for city + but it looks more like full city I guess.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7066/6942472311_a5e51f6ec5.jpg

Looks good Brian, that one bean catches my eye though. You know the one. If it is anything like my camera phone it doesn't look like that in real life though. :tu

BSB
03-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Yeah, that one bean in paticulure, you see it, right? :D -(P

Mr B
03-02-2012, 09:33 AM

Here's what I do:
Before starting the Air Popper, put in in a box that is just a few inches larger in diameter than the popper. The height of the box should come up to just under the throat of the popper. Start your regular roast cycle. once you notice that the roaster does not seem to be getting any hotter (or as hot as you want) plug in another popper and have it blowing into the box that the first popper is in. This additional hot air will increase the temp very nicely.
Without this, my poppers during the winter time, can barley get the beans to first crack.

Here is my roast cycle:
Start the first popper. Let it run for 6-8 minutes. Plug in the additional popper and get it up to first crack. Once first crack gets going I unplug the second popper and let first crack ride for a minute or two.
Then I plug back in the second popper and bring it up to whatever level I want it to finish at.

The second popper can just be any ol style popper. I use an easy to find, cheap one that has the vent at the bottom. All you are using it for is extra hot air.

ApexAZ
03-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Dang quakers.

physiognomy
03-02-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm going to roast some of the El Salvador beans I got from Klatch last month... I haven't decided which one yet, but probably the Pepinal 1

Dang quakers.

I don't usually bother doing anything with them... Imho, they don't change the flavor enough to worry unless there are a lot of really light beans.

BSB
03-02-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm going to roast some of the El Salvador beans I got from Klatch last month... I haven't decided which one yet, but probably the Pepinal 1

I don't usually bother doing anything with them... Imho, they don't change the flavor enough to worry unless there are a lot of really light beans.

How could you possibly know that? :confused: And it's not really hard or time consuming. I don't get it.

physiognomy
03-03-2012, 11:12 AM
How could you possibly know that? :confused: And it's not really hard or time consuming. I don't get it.

I'll make sure to take them out when you come over for a cup, Bob :)

I've just found that (to my taste) the one or five beans that end up two shades lighter (I'm not talking about the beans that just don't roast) don't really make much of a difference in a 1/2lb lot. I've left them in for a couple of cups/pots and then picked them out for the remainder plenty of times... Not enough difference (to my tastes), so I've given up worrying unless they are still yellow or really light brown.

People who know better than me say that you need to take out any abnormal beans post-roast for the best flavors. I'm not suggesting anyone do otherwise & agree that they are right... Just sharing that it doesn't seem to make much difference to me. YMMV :cf1

I just roasted 1/2lb of El Salvador Las Mercedes Pepinal 1... Smells fantastic, so I'm looking forward to tomorrows cup!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hWxfoXqODFc/T1JbBepz-8I/AAAAAAAACDE/npYaEXyk1uA/s720/El%2520Salvador%2520Las%2520Mercedes%2520Pepinal%2 5201.jpg

BSB
03-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Got it! I'll keep picking :D -(P

ApexAZ
03-04-2012, 10:31 AM
I'll make sure to take them out when you come over for a cup, Bob :)

I've just found that (to my taste) the one or five beans that end up two shades lighter (I'm not talking about the beans that just don't roast) don't really make much of a difference in a 1/2lb lot. I've left them in for a couple of cups/pots and then picked them out for the remainder plenty of times... Not enough difference (to my tastes), so I've given up worrying unless they are still yellow or really light brown.

People who know better than me say that you need to take out any abnormal beans post-roast for the best flavors. I'm not suggesting anyone do otherwise & agree that they are right... Just sharing that it doesn't seem to make much difference to me. YMMV :cf1

I just roasted 1/2lb of El Salvador Las Mercedes Pepinal 1... Smells fantastic, so I'm looking forward to tomorrows cup!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hWxfoXqODFc/T1JbBepz-8I/AAAAAAAACDE/npYaEXyk1uA/s720/El%2520Salvador%2520Las%2520Mercedes%2520Pepinal%2 5201.jpg

Looks great! Full city?

physiognomy
03-04-2012, 03:06 PM
About 30secs past the end of first crack... I don't think it made full city (a little uneven surface to the bean), but tasty nonetheless!

BSB
03-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Roasted a new coffee this morning, Colombia Finca Buenavista - Carlos Imbachi to city+. Cupping on Tues.

Chainsaw13
03-04-2012, 08:29 PM
I'm gonna be like a kid on Christmas come Saturday. That's when I get home and I can open my shipment from SM's. Wonder what I'll get.

ApexAZ
03-04-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm gonna be like a kid on Christmas come Saturday. That's when I get home and I can open my shipment from SM's. Wonder what I'll get.

Did you get samplers?

Chainsaw13
03-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Did you get samplers?

Yea, the 4lb sampler and 1lb of the Monkey Blend.

ApexAZ
03-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Yea, the 4lb sampler and 1lb of the Monkey Blend.

Sweet!

Blak Smyth
03-05-2012, 05:50 AM
Went far darker than they recommend, but we will see how it tastes.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7051/6809526690_799afbe29d_z.jpg

Mr B
03-05-2012, 10:30 AM

Try collecting a batch of them and make a cup of coffee form them. Betcha it tastes like crap. ;)

Mr B
03-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Roasted a new coffee this morning, Colombia Finca Buenavista - Carlos Imbachi to city+. Cupping on Tues.

I loved that one. Especially after 4-5 days. It seemed to be better with more rest IMO.

BSB
03-06-2012, 04:07 PM
I loved that one. Especially after 4-5 days. It seemed to be better with more rest IMO.

Interesting, I loved it today, with 2 -(P

Blak Smyth
03-07-2012, 06:22 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7068/6961598641_e9aa02fc25_z.jpg
A little lighter than last time, looks great. It is right where I wanted it.

forgop
03-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Picked up a West Bend Poppery II and then ordered an 8# sampler from Sweet Marias. Let the roasting begin. :)

Mr B
03-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Picked up a West Bend Poppery II and then ordered an 8# sampler from Sweet Marias. Let the roasting begin. :)

BSB
03-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Yemen Mokha Ismaili :cf1 half City+ - FC, half FC+, this will rest 6 days and be sampled when I get back from Phoenix. I choose Yemen, because it's been said, it really benifits, from extra rest. We will see.

forgop
03-13-2012, 09:54 AM
8# sampler arrived today:

Rwanda Kibuye Gitesi
El Salvador Majahual-Tablon La Montana
Ethopia Illubabor-Camp Cooperative
El Salvador Matalapa-Tablon El Naranjo
India Poabs Organic Seethargundu Estate
Guatemala Acatenango-Finca La Soledad
Ethopia Limu Jimma-Alaga Sekala
Brazil Cerrado Fazenda No-Name-O

Now which one to do first...

Mr B
03-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Nice Selection.

ApexAZ
03-13-2012, 11:14 AM
I really screwed up a roast of beans from Bolivia. I ran out of propane halfway through a roast and during my attempt to try and get the flame lit and then ultimately bringing them inside to finish off on the stove, many of the beans got scorched. I picked out the ones that were blackened, but overall the coffee sucks. Blech.

BSB
03-13-2012, 01:23 PM
8# sampler arrived today:

Rwanda Kibuye Gitesi
El Salvador Majahual-Tablon La Montana
Ethopia Illubabor-Camp Cooperative
El Salvador Matalapa-Tablon El Naranjo
India Poabs Organic Seethargundu Estate
Guatemala Acatenango-Finca La Soledad
Ethopia Limu Jimma-Alaga Sekala
Brazil Cerrado Fazenda No-Name-O

Now which one to do first...

I roasted that one this morning -(P half city+, half FC+ cupping Thurs

forgop
03-17-2012, 05:29 PM
My first batch of home roasted coffee-Ethopia Limu Jimma-Alaga Sekala. Will grind and brew in the morning.

I really have no idea what I'm doing. I just watched the video on Sweet Maria's and hope it turns out ok. :D

Chainsaw13
03-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Roasted some SM's Monkey Blend and some Ethiopia Illubabor. These were part of my recent order. Also got the Brazilian Fazenda No-Name-O,
India Poabs Organic Seethargundu Estate and Guatemalian Acatenango - Finca Le Soledad.

BSB
03-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Roasted some Panama Elida Natural - Elida Reserve, 50-50% city+ and FC+ Hoping for big rum flavor on Wed.

Chainsaw13
03-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Did a couple more batches today to keep fine tuning the technique. Much better results.

Some SM's Brazilian No-Name-O just into 2nd crack (FC+ if I read their descriptions right). Can't wait to try this come Wednesday.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=618&pictureid=6935

Before the Brazilian, I sacrificed some Burundi, letting it go all the way into 2nd crack. I wanted to see how long it took. Started around the 7:30 mark for 2nd crack and kept going for some time. I don't think it'll be drinkable, but you never know. I"m not throwing it away yet.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=618&pictureid=6934

floydpink
03-20-2012, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't discard the 2nd one so fast. Looks just like how I roast my Brazilian beans, although I don't have experience with Barundi.

Some of Sweet Maria's roasting notes would lead you to believe that 2nd crack is some horrible mistake and should be avoided.

I completely disagree and usually go 20 seconds into second crack on the blends I like to roast.

Chainsaw13
03-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Yea, I"m holding onto it and will try it out. Who knows. I took it well into 2nd crack, which started around the 8min mark. I kept it going until the 11min mark just to see how long second crack would take. I could still hear pops going on at that point but figured it was time to pull the plug.

The batch of Brazilian hit 2nd crack right around 7min and I pulled it 20 seconds after that.

Mr B
03-20-2012, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't discard the 2nd one so fast. Looks just like how I roast my Brazilian beans, although I don't have experience with Barundi.

Some of Sweet Maria's roasting notes would lead you to believe that 2nd crack is some horrible mistake and should be avoided.

I completely disagree and usually go 20 seconds into second crack on the blends I like to roast.

X2
From the picture the bottom one looks to be maybe FC++ or maybe light Vienna. Give it 2-3 days rest and give it a try.

Chainsaw13
03-20-2012, 10:52 AM
X2
From the picture the bottom one looks to be maybe FC++ or maybe light Vienna. Give it 2-3 days rest and give it a try.

What brewing method would you suggest? I currently have a FP, Moka pot and a Mukka pot.

Mr B
03-20-2012, 11:23 AM
I have converted to a French Press and that is all I use.
Maybe others might chime in, but for me the press is the way to go.

Blak Smyth
03-20-2012, 11:24 AM
I only use the FP, but it is all I have tried.

Chainsaw13
03-20-2012, 11:31 AM
The FP is my standard too, the others are for espresso based drinks. Going to try some Monkey Blend in the moka pot tonight. Was excellent in the FP this morning.

Chainsaw13
03-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Two 65g batches of Monkey Blend to FC
One 65g batch of India Poabs Organic Seethargundu Estate to City+

Mr B
03-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Just ordered 18 lbs form Sweet Marias.....to go with the 15+ lbs I already have at home. Um, addicting.

BSB
03-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Sumatra Tarbarita Peaberry to FC.
Ordered 11 pounds from SM myself :cf2

Mr B
03-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Just ordered 18 lbs form Sweet Marias.....to go with the 15+ lbs I already have at home. Um, addicting.

El Salvador Majahual -Tablon La Montana - 5 lbs
Burundi Prestige Cup #1 -Kiryama - 1 lbs
Sweet Maria's French Roast Blend - 2 lbs
Ethiopia Pulp Natural Process Limu - 5 lbs
Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe-Shakiso SWP Decaf - 2 lbs
Kenya Nyeri AA Gatomboya - 1 lbs
Kenya Nyeri AB Tegu - 2 lbs

Blak Smyth
03-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Anybody ever order from ThetaRidge?
I just received a price sheet, great prices! :tu

Chainsaw13
03-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Never heard of them Shane, but then I'm still just getting into this craft.

Going to a local farmers market tomorrow morning. Germack nut company has their new store up and running and has a section dedicated to just coffee. I heard they have green coffee too. Gonna check it out.

BSB
03-25-2012, 07:30 AM
Colombia Tolima - Einar Ortiz Microlot, with just about 30gr. of Felix Guzman micro, to fill it out. I was just that much short. One is lemony, the other very sweet. Looking forward to cupping on Tues.

forgop
03-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Has anyone ever re-roasted as in a batch was lighter than you desired and wanted to go darker after tasting how it turned out?

CigarSquid
03-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Has anyone ever re-roasted as in a batch was lighter than you desired and wanted to go darker after tasting how it turned out?

I asked the same thing about... ehh.. Couple months back. No. I was told you can't and shouldn't do it.

I went with what was answered and didn't. If you have time, There are better reason in the back pages and to why. I asked in this thread.. Not sure what page or even close.

ashtonlady
03-31-2012, 08:58 PM
This is a good answer with a good reason.
Hope this helps.

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/59866/re-roasting-coffee-beans-can-it-be-done

Blak Smyth
04-02-2012, 11:10 AM
I placed a sampler order from Theta Ridge (http://www.thetaridgecoffee.com/)today, I will keep everybody posted as to how it goes. Their prices are much, much less than SM. I intend to find a good sample and purchase a 10lb order of it.

A couple answers from Ashtonladies link:

"Once coffee beans have cooked and cooled, they can't be cooked more. Roasting temperature profiles and sequences make a big difference in how the coffee ultimately tastes. Sorry."

"I've read at COFFEEGEEK.COM that it's a method practised regularly by the Swiss and it gives the coffee a different character."

"No, you cannot roast beans a second time and expect the oils to be their best. If oil is on the surface of the bean, i would assume a scorching effect. Never done it though; so I'm just assuming.

"What I would do is put the beans away for a week; this should make the coffee a little bit stronger. I would also use a french press then too- much better flavor intensity."

Chainsaw13
04-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Shane, did you email them for prices? I was just looking on the site and didn't see any listed.

Blak Smyth
04-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Shane, did you email them for prices? I was just looking on the site and didn't see any listed.

Yah, if you e-mail them they send you an up to date price sheet.

CigarSquid
04-02-2012, 01:25 PM
I placed a sampler order from Theta Ridge (http://www.thetaridgecoffee.com/)today, I will keep everybody posted as to how it goes. Their prices are much, much less than SM. I intend to find a good sample and purchase a 10lb order of it.

Very curious how they are.. I still need to place a sampler order with SM.

Blak Smyth
04-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Very curious how they are.. I still need to place a sampler order with SM.

My friend that got me first into drinking home roasted coffee uses them and buys 75lb bags. He raves about the company.

BSB
04-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Brazil Fazenda Santa Mariana to just FC.

Blak Smyth
04-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Brazil Fazenda Santa Mariana to just FC.

That sounds nice, how was it?

BSB
04-03-2012, 07:30 AM
That sounds nice, how was it?

Cupping tomorrow. It roasted real pretty :D

Chainsaw13
04-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Did a couple batches today. Some SM's Liquid Amber Espresso blend and they're Sumatra Lintong Tano Batak.

The odd thing about my first batch of the Sumatra, I didn't get a first crack. One loud pop around the 3:45 mark, but nothing after. Took it to what I'm guessing was city ++, maybe even FC. Did another batch and got the normal cracking for a period of time. Strange.

Garbandz
04-05-2012, 02:59 PM
http://www.thetaridgecoffee.com/ I got their price list,there is a surcharge if you buy less than a bag full. $.45 /lb on 10 lb and up,$.65 /lb under 10 lb.
That said,there is a shipping charge to consider.
I would like to try several of their beans,some new items on me...........

Blak Smyth
04-05-2012, 04:20 PM
http://www.thetaridgecoffee.com/ I got their price list,there is a surcharge if you buy less than a bag full. $.45 /lb on 10 lb and up,$.65 /lb under 10 lb.
That said,there is a shipping charge to consider.
I would like to try several of their beans,some new items on me...........

Well they just sent me a sampler of 4 different beans for free.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i325/Minecraftaholics/3a119285.jpg

novasurf
04-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Roasting:

Kenya AA Oaklands
Harrar G4
Sumatra Lintong
Taina and Negrita

ThetaRidge is top shelf. They buy exclusively from a vendor I use in NYC.

forgop
04-05-2012, 07:38 PM
I just roasted a pound of the Ethopia Illubaor-Camp Cooperative from SM's.

I sure as hell don't understand any of this full city to FC+, but I sure as hell know I roasted it darker than my last roast.

forgop
04-06-2012, 06:31 AM

I sure as hell don't understand any of this full city to FC+, but I sure as hell know I roasted it darker than my last roast.

I don't know what the roast would come out to be as I roasted the whole pound for 6-1/2 to 7 minutes in my "official" SM's recommended West Bend Poppery II, but the Ethopian stuff I roasted last night and drinking this morning is AWESOME!!!

Blak Smyth
04-06-2012, 06:37 AM
I roasted the Dettera Bourbon last night, it smells amazing!
If it tastes anything like it smells, this may be my first 10lb order!

coffeebeanss
04-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Today i have made pan roasting coffee! Its truly fresh great tasting coffee! It can have a smooth body and a deep complexity in flavors kind of like drum roasted coffee. Let me know that has anyone tried this out?

pnoon
04-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Today i have made pan roasting coffee! Its truly fresh great tasting coffee! It can have a smooth body and a deep complexity in flavors kind of like drum roasted coffee. Let me know that has anyone tried this out?

Welcome. Please introduce yourself in the New Retailer forum.

ApexAZ
04-10-2012, 11:16 PM

Pics?

Blak Smyth
04-12-2012, 06:35 AM
Roasted the Peru Andes Reserve, it was good yesterday!

ApexAZ
04-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Roasted half a pound of SM Monkey espresso blend to Vienna today.

Chainsaw13
04-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Roasted half a pound of SM Monkey espresso blend to Vienna today.

I did half a lb of the same yesterday. Could only get to city +. Too low of ambient temp inthe garage is not conducive to roasting into second crack. It'll still be good.

forgop
04-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Pics?

Sorry-ended up grinding it all before seeing this.

Blak Smyth
04-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Nicaraguan Cafe Diego

forgop
04-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Anyone ever buy Jamaican blue mountain green beans and roast them? Thinking about it...

http://stores.ebay.com/Gold-Star-Coffee/_i.html?_fsub=20879440

Anything else look appealing?

forgop
04-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Here's a place that caught my eye.

www.bodhileaftrading.com

Found a post from them on the coffee buying club forum offering a 20% discount. Going to give these a try:

Brazil Bob-O-Link 5#
Malawi AA Plus Estate Panwamba 5#
Zimbabwe AA Plus Estate Salimba 5 #

15# came out to $5.24/lb shipped.

Coupon code is CLUB2012.

Blak Smyth
04-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Kenya Safari Ridge

Mr B
04-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Last night was small batches of each of these;
Burundi Prestige Cup #1 - Kiryama at FC
Kenya Nyeri AA Gotomboya at FC
S.M. Ethiopia Decaf af FC/FC+. First time w/ a decaf. Wanted something to have in the evenings.
Rwanda Kibuye Gitesi at FC+
Costa Rica Finca Bella Vista at City+

BSB
04-18-2012, 05:41 PM
I roasted some FT Rwanda Cafe Femenino, to FC, from Klatch.
Cupping tomorrow.

Blak Smyth
04-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Just purchased my largest single bean order.
I ordered 10lbs of Brazil Dattera Sweet Blue from ThetaRidge.

forgop
04-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Zimbabwe AA Plus Estate Salimba ROTT.

This particular bean seems to be taking 2-3 more minutes than most other varieties to get to FC+ in my Poppery II.

Mr B
04-20-2012, 05:35 PM
I have noticed that certain beans take very different times. Sometimes having to do with the size of the bean itself or maybe even if it was Dry or Wet Processed.

Blak Smyth
04-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Just purchased my largest single bean order.
I ordered 10lbs of Brazil Dattera Sweet Blue from ThetaRidge.

Came in today. They also included the last two prints of Roast Magazine. I'm impressed so far.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i325/Minecraftaholics/18628b8b.jpg

Mr B
04-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Yummy

Blak Smyth
04-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Just roasted some. Press in a few days.

BSB
04-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Roasted a fav this morning, Guatemala Acatenango Finca La Soledad to FC. Cupping Sat.