PDA

View Full Version : Another humidor RH question

PCR
10-08-2010, 06:43 PM
I have seasoned my new humidor for two weeks with a bowl of distilled water. At the end of the two weeks I took a new clean sponge and very lightly wiped the inside of the humidor. Added 4oz. (two 2 oz. bags) of Shilala's beads put in my calibrated hrygometer. 24 hours later reading @ 80% RH. So, what to do? Wait a month for the beads to stabilize? Open the humi for a few hours? I'd like to hear what you guys have done in a similar situation. Ps, no cigars are in the humi. Thanks everyone.

NCRadioMan
10-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Wow, two weeks? Never took me more than a couple of days. Needless to say, it is very well seasoned and probably didn't need the wipe down. I would take the beads out and load the cigars in. If still too high after another 24 hours, I would leave the lid open for a few hours. When the rh gets down to where you need the beads after being closed for a few days, introduce them to the humidor then.

:2

Bunker
10-08-2010, 06:49 PM
I would leave it open and let it dry a bit, you can always add more distilled water later if it goes too far.

I am not familiar with the beads, I am a kitty litter crystal convert, my humi and cooler bothe stay between 65-68 RH using dry Exquisicat litter

Lumpold
10-08-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm assuming NW Washington is Washington State, in which case, take your hygro out and test the local RH... you're being predicted rain, which might mean opening the lid could make it worse? (This is a personal assumption, someone with some scientific knowledge shoot me down if need be)

CigarNut
10-08-2010, 08:39 PM
First I would make sure that the hygro is accurage. If it is then I would go ahead and put your cigars in the humidor with the beads and just watch it over the next several days.

An empty humi does not stabilize. You need both your cigars and beads to help reasch equilibrium inside the humi.

PCR
10-08-2010, 08:43 PM
First I would make sure that the hygro is accurage. If it is then I would go ahead and put your cigars in the humidor with the beads and just watch it over the next several days.

An empty humi does not stabilize. You need both your cigars and beads to help reasch equilibrium inside the humi.

Thank you Michael and thank you everyone for the help and advice. Have a good weekend. :)

Bill86
10-09-2010, 01:19 AM
From what I hear wiping the inside of the humidor is a no-no. Warping the wood and unnecessary.