PDA

View Full Version : Arrrgh..California Cigar Prices...

MarkinAZ
10-30-2008, 06:49 PM
:fl Well, I've calmed down a bit now. I recently ascertained today that the City of Valencia now has a third B&M located near the intersection of McBean Parkway and Town Center Drive. I found out this one carries the 601 series and since our other 2 B&M's do not, I decided to pay a quick visit late this afternoon to see what exactly they carry in this line. Upon arrival, I found their humidor was well stocked with all the latest super-duper super-premium "boutique" cigars. They carried 3 of the 4 601's (not the Red which I was hoping for). Here comes the shocker for you non-Californians. This proprietor wanted $10.99 + tax for a 601 Green La Fuerza. I repeat $10.99+ tax!!! WHAT A BUNCH OF HORSE PUCKY:mad: I simply refuse to pay that type of money for a cigar. And, you don't even want to know what he was trying to get away with regarding DPG's and Tatuaje's.

Note: For you inmates living in the Southern, Midwest, and Eastern states, just count your blessings that you don't have to purchase a stogie here. Thank goodness for online retailers:ss

cort
10-30-2008, 06:53 PM
I feel your pain Mark.:mad:

As much as I would love to support the local shops it is just not affordable for me. I may stop in for a stick or two but 98% of my purchases are online because the prices are so high locally.

I know that it is my duty to pay my CA taxes on purchases but COME ON!! I will be an internet bandit for now.

groogs
10-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Note: For you inmates living in the Southern, Midwest, and Eastern states, just count your blessings that you don't have to purchase a stogie here. Thank goodness for online retailers:ss

I am right there with you. I still buy smokes at my local B&M becasue I like to support the small business, but for my box purchases, I always have to turn to the online retailers.

robertw1249
10-30-2008, 07:01 PM
i with you there mark i was born in ontario cali i moved out of the about three years ago it was the best move i ever made

brigey57
10-30-2008, 07:04 PM
:fl Well, I've calmed down a bit now. I recently ascertained today that the City of Valencia now has a third B&M located near the intersection of McBean Parkway and Town Center Drive. I found out this one carries the 601 series and since our other 2 B&M's do not, I decided to pay a quick visit late this afternoon to see what exactly they carry in this line. Upon arrival, I found their humidor was well stocked with all the latest super-duper super-premium "boutique" cigars. They carried 3 of the 4 601's (not the Red which I was hoping for). Here comes the shocker for you non-Californians. This proprietor wanted $10.99 + tax for a 601 Green La Fuerza. I repeat $10.99+ tax!!! WHAT A BUNCH OF HORSE PUCKY:mad: I simply refuse to pay that type of money for a cigar. And, you don't even want to know what he was trying to get away with regarding DPG's and Tatuaje's.

I'm sorry you have to pay such punitive prices for cigars because you have folks, and I'm being generous here, in your state who feel that they have to tax citizens for enjoying a totally legal product.
I know for one I'm sick and tired of it.:lv :usa

huero71
10-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Prices aren't quite that high here in Tulare/Visalia, but they're close. I like to drop into the local B&M for a cigar once in a while, but I do a lot of my box purchases online and at David's in Rancho C. when I'm in that area every couple of months. The shop there has a great selection, and the prices are a lot better than up here.

MarkinAZ
10-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Out of the 3 B&M's here in Valencia, I most always support Valencia Cigars. The owner is very knowledgeable and personable, knows a number of folks in the industry, generally maintains a good core supply of brands (he's awaiting his supply at this time of 601's), and his prices are within means at times. I'm hoping his prices on 601's will be affordable upon arrival at his shop:ss

Ashcan Bill
10-30-2008, 07:26 PM
McBean Parkway and Town Center Drive

That be some pricey real estate, pardner.

Offhand, I can't think of anything that isn't expensive in Cali. And getting worse all the time.

Ratters
10-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, we're gonna share the wealth after Obama gets elected and the cigar tax that Bush vetoed goes through. :( But yeah, for the meantime I'll buy sticks from the B&M but wouldn't dream of buying a box.

groogs
10-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Well, we're gonna share the wealth after Obama gets elected and the cigar tax that Bush vetoed goes through. :( But yeah, for the meantime I'll buy sticks from the B&M but wouldn't dream of buying a box.

That is why I have been stocking up.:(

ucla695
10-30-2008, 09:07 PM
I also feel your pain. I buy singles from the local B&Ms and boxes when they're in the same ballpark as online dealers. But I refuse to get gouged and pay out of the wazoo for hard to find sticks like Opus and Anejos.

I'm afraid if Obama becomes prez. :lv

Raralith
10-30-2008, 09:36 PM
I still love my local B&M, but you're right, prices are high. I was in Cenza in Pasadena, $15 for Tat's, $17 for Ashton Heritage and than the 8.25% additional state tax. They do have specials though, 30% off on Sundays in November, but even so, you can't compare it to online prices.

MarkinAZ
10-30-2008, 09:42 PM
I still love my local B&M, but you're right, prices are high. I was in Cenza in Pasadena, $15 for Tat's, $17 for Ashton Heritage and than the 8.25% additional state tax.

Cenza is on Green Street aren't they?

Mugen910
10-30-2008, 09:45 PM

You let me know what you need and I'll buy'em here for ya to ship...$11 for a 601 is crazy!

weak_link
10-30-2008, 09:56 PM
48% tax. Yep, that's fair. :bh

Legend
10-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Still need to support the B&M or they will disappear.

Tazziedevil
10-30-2008, 10:55 PM
...Just be glad you don't live in Australia!

I'd kill to only pay 10.99 + tax!!

i last paid just under $30AUD for a ERDM corona!

Prefy
10-30-2008, 11:21 PM
...Just be glad you don't live in Australia!

I'd kill to only pay 10.99 + tax!!

i last paid just under $30AUD for a ERDM corona!

I agree with tazzie your tax might be high in California but pails in comparison to how we are taxed north of the boarder.

To put this in perspective an Ashton VSG Robusto runs about $23 up here.

Skywalker
10-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah I have a B&M selling for the same price!!! Sorry Mark that is the price we pay for having so many other benefits!!! Like having a movie star Governor, Sunshine, Beaches, etc...:)

dannyboy
10-31-2008, 01:30 AM
Same thing here in HI, ridiculous taxes, high rent, and needing to ship everything in, makes for some really high prices. I wouldn't mind paying them if we had a B&M with a decent selection. I could at least try singles and see if they were worth a 5-pack or box from online.

Tazziedevil
10-31-2008, 01:44 AM
I agree with tazzie your tax might be high in California but pails in comparison to how we are taxed north of the boarder.

To put this in perspective an Ashton VSG Robusto runs about $23 up here.

I only have one "real" B&M here, and i'd be lucky to find an ashton. You don't move to Australia for the tobacco, that's for sure!

Raralith
10-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Cenza is on Green Street aren't they?

You exit on green (one way), you enter through Colorado in the Peso outdoor mall.

MarkinAZ
10-31-2008, 10:47 AM
You exit on green (one way), you enter through Colorado in the Peso outdoor mall.

That's the one, thanks...

romwarrior
10-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I feel bad that I don't support many B&M's here but the prices are just insane. I just can't bring myself to do it. It's kind of like going to Staples Center and paying $10 for a beer. Sometimes I do it because I'm with friends or at an event, but most of the time no. I feel bad for the B&M's because it's not their fault.

php007
10-31-2008, 11:16 AM
I feel your pain Mark.:mad:

As much as I would love to support the local shops it is just not affordable for me. I may stop in for a stick or two but 98% of my purchases are online because the prices are so high locally.

I know that it is my duty to pay my CA taxes on purchases but COME ON!! I will be an internet bandit for now.

:tpd: Well put, I couldn't have said it better.

BagfullofPings
10-31-2008, 10:22 PM
Unfortunately, that is California. At my local B&M, that cigar goes for either $8.99 or $9.99. The owner has to eat and pay his bills. I'm at my local B&M twice a week and I spend $30 - $50 per week. He knows I buy my inventory online but he is cool with that. Hell this afternoon I was using his laptop to bid on Cigar Bid. Every now and then I buy a box from him. In addition to singles, I buy my misc. goodies from him.

duckmanco
10-31-2008, 11:00 PM
Yet another reason CA never seems to cross my mind as an option to move to. Those taxes are inhumane!

Delta-Wye
11-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Out of the 3 B&M's here in Valencia, I most always support Valencia Cigars. The owner is very knowledgeable and personable, knows a number of folks in the industry, generally maintains a good core supply of brands (he's awaiting his supply at this time of 601's), and his prices are within means at times. I'm hoping his prices on 601's will be affordable upon arrival at his shop:ss

I live in Canyon Country and I usually go to The Smoke Zone or Valencia News. I would like to know where this Valencia Cigars is located. Thanks

MarkinAZ
11-01-2008, 07:04 PM
I live in Canyon Country and I usually go to The Smoke Zone or Valencia News. I would like to know where this Valencia Cigars is located. Thanks

DW, it's actually called "Valencia Cigars and International Newsstand." I just call it Valencia Cigars for short. Its the one in the KMart shopping center next to Western Bagels:ss

Delta-Wye
11-01-2008, 07:22 PM
DW, it's actually called "Valencia Cigars and International Newsstand." I just call it Valencia Cigars for short. Its the one in the KMart shopping center next to Western Bagels:ss

I also go there! Got a box of illusione cg4 s from them last week