PDA

View Full Version : Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Guitarman-S.T-
10-16-2009, 01:15 PM
I remember reading an article in a Cigar magazine awhile back that had this pipe.. thought it looked amazing! Any pro's, Con's with this brand, as well as the pipe style as a general rule...

And possibly any other recommendations that would feel good in the hands of a 6ft + average weight Metal head! lol ( It seems alot of shorter guys will go for a churchwarden, or a classic straight, and taller go for the smaller, stout bowl styles.. Just wanted to keep it going if its law around here ;) )

Here's the pipe that has me all Mind craze'd over

Jirsa Blowfish's

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-UNSMOKED-JIRSA-BLOWFISH-PIPE-FROM-THE-PIPESTOP_W0QQitemZ330368302251QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ceb7c3cab

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-UNSMOKED-JIRSA-RUST-BLOWFISH-PIPE-FROM-THEPIPESTOP_W0QQitemZ330368304876QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ceb7c46ec

thanks for any help:banger

Commander Quan
10-16-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure that the old briar would be good enough for any respectable metal head. The clear choice would be one of the following.

http://theinvisibleagent.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/pipetgg5.jpg?w=460&h=345

http://theophiliacs.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/meerschaum-dragon.jpg

http://www.firepro84.com/images/nonpb/pipes/Meerschaum.jpg

But in all seriousness i prefer the first one over the rusticated.

Guitarman-S.T-
10-16-2009, 02:37 PM
lol Your to much ;) well atleast you know what i mean hahaha.

The first one IS gorgeous, any info on the brand as a whole? Like i said im finally interested in a quality pipe, and want something that can grow on me. If another brand, or style would better suit my character, i would be very interested, but right now, That Jirsa Blowfish looks SOOOO damn sweet.

Large bowl, but very short stem, I wonder how the smoke would be...

VirtualSmitty
10-16-2009, 03:12 PM
I remember reading an article in a Cigar magazine awhile back that had this pipe.. thought it looked amazing! Any pro's, Con's with this brand, as well as the pipe style as a general rule...

And possibly any other recommendations that would feel good in the hands of a 6ft + average weight Metal head! lol ( It seems alot of shorter guys will go for a churchwarden, or a classic straight, and taller go for the smaller, stout bowl styles.. Just wanted to keep it going if its law around here ;) )

Here's the pipe that has me all Mind craze'd over

Jirsa Blowfish's

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-UNSMOKED-JIRSA-BLOWFISH-PIPE-FROM-THE-PIPESTOP_W0QQitemZ330368302251QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ceb7c3cab

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-UNSMOKED-JIRSA-RUST-BLOWFISH-PIPE-FROM-THEPIPESTOP_W0QQitemZ330368304876QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ceb7c46ec

thanks for any help:banger

I actually have that very same pipe (the smooth version). Good smoker :tu

Guitarman-S.T-
10-16-2009, 04:00 PM
I actually have that very same pipe (the smooth version). Good smoker :tu

Wooot!
THANKS SOO much V.S any pro's or con's you see in this pipe? Still looks like a very interesting buy!

(Finally went back and read a few pipe magazines and found my make)
But to my surprise, this was not the original pipe i was thinking of. The Article i read was about a man's quest on having a 7day Pipe set, and the Maker, and Style of that was the Peter Heeschen Blowfish. but DAMN after seeing that price, I think i like the first one more lol http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/heeschen/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=55275

Then after looking more into Heeschen i begin to appreciate his craft, and now his Danish Poker may go better for my ally. http://www.glpease.com/Pipes/Shapes/DanishPoker.php

Damn, the more I look into this, the more i have No clue what i want! :D
I guess this will be a challenge

So far, the search will be for a Blowfish, or a Danish Poker!

VirtualSmitty
10-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Wooot!
THANKS SOO much V.S any pro's or con's you see in this pipe? Still looks like a very interesting buy!

So far, the search will be for a Blowfish, or a Danish Poker!

One of the sides is a bit thin so it does get a bit warm. Aside from that, no complaints. It's my penzance pipe, I smoke it all the time.

Guitarman-S.T-
10-16-2009, 06:49 PM
One of the sides is a bit thin so it does get a bit warm. Aside from that, no complaints. It's my penzance pipe, I smoke it all the time.
what other pipes do ya own, Does this Jirsa stand up to more brands of higher quality by chance? thanks again

DrDubzz
10-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I don't own a Jirsa, but my understanding is that it is an excellent hand-made midgrade. The guys over on smokersforums that have Jirsas swear by them

Guitarman-S.T-
10-16-2009, 07:03 PM
thanks alot!

MarkinAZ
10-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Kinda like the smooth Jirsa myself ST. Real pretty looking pipe:tu

VirtualSmitty
10-16-2009, 09:01 PM
what other pipes do ya own, Does this Jirsa stand up to more brands of higher quality by chance? thanks again

Phew, what other makes? Lets see, 18 Charatans, 6 Ser Jacopos, 3 Claudio Cavicchis, 2 Larry Roushs, 1 Jirsa, 1 Peterson, 1 Stanwell, 3 IMP Meers, 1 Ronny Thuner, 1 Lanes Johnson, 1 WO Larsen, 2 Rad Davis, 4 Dunhills, 2 Comoys, 1 Ashton, 1 Tsuge, 1 Caminetto, 2 Radices, 2 Ardors, 6 various cobs, and about twenty different basket pipes.

The Jirsa definitely holds its own compared to the Stanwell, Petey, Larsen, and cheapos I have. It's an excellent pipe for the money I think, I have pipes that were much more expensive that don't smoke as well.

If you've never tried pipe smoking before you might want to consider some cobs or a meer. If your going to be sampling a bunch of different tobaccos a single briar pipe is gonna get some flavor ghosts. You won't get that so much with cobs or a meer.

DrDubzz
10-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Dude, VS, that's a ridiculous pipe roster you've got there

I'm curious though, I had two Rad Davis pipes, and I think the world of them, I'm curious, in general how your 1. Cavicchis 2. Dunhills and 3. Ser Jacs compare in smoking quality.

I ask because theose are three brands I've almost purchased a few times, but I feel like, for either the same, or less (in the case of the dunnies) money I could get a Rad. Thoughts?

Guitarman-S.T-
10-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Phew, what other makes? Lets see, 18 Charatans, 6 Ser Jacopos, 3 Claudio Cavicchis, 2 Larry Roushs, 1 Jirsa, 1 Peterson, 1 Stanwell, 3 IMP Meers, 1 Ronny Thuner, 1 Lanes Johnson, 1 WO Larsen, 2 Rad Davis, 4 Dunhills, 2 Comoys, 1 Ashton, 1 Tsuge, 1 Caminetto, 2 Radices, 2 Ardors, 6 various cobs, and about twenty different basket pipes.

The Jirsa definitely holds its own compared to the Stanwell, Petey, Larsen, and cheapos I have. It's an excellent pipe for the money I think, I have pipes that were much more expensive that don't smoke as well.

If you've never tried pipe smoking before you might want to consider some cobs or a meer. If your going to be sampling a bunch of different tobaccos a single briar pipe is gonna get some flavor ghosts. You won't get that so much with cobs or a meer.

Been threw a few Cob's, Mainly for sampling different tobacco's
And Also i have my Briar i bought online i think from the "other place ;) " from a guy that hooked me up with a great selection of tobacco as well- All it says is Algerian Briar Made in France. Def. a cheaper pipe, So i tend on using it for flavors.

So all in and all a Jirsa would be a great pickup for someone Looking towards a more quality pipe, But still under the 100$ Range :D
If you have any other suggestions i would be very interested in them as well :tf

VirtualSmitty
10-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Dude, VS, that's a ridiculous pipe roster you've got there

I'm curious though, I had two Rad Davis pipes, and I think the world of them, I'm curious, in general how your 1. Cavicchis 2. Dunhills and 3. Ser Jacs compare in smoking quality.

I ask because theose are three brands I've almost purchased a few times, but I feel like, for either the same, or less (in the case of the dunnies) money I could get a Rad. Thoughts?

They vary quite a bit. I won't be buying any more Dunhills, they are good pipes but too expensive for what they are. One i've never smoked and prob never will so my experience is just over three pipes. I'd rather get a pipe from a carver than pay Dunhill prices these days. Or maybe another Charatan estate for a fraction of the price, I love those pipes!

Ser Jacopo pipes are a love hate thing for me. I used to have a bunch more than I do now but i've since gifted/sold/traded a bunch. I love the style but the smoking quality pipe to pipe is terribly inconsistent. Some smoke great from day one, others take ages to break in, and some just never smoked good. It drives me batty :mad::bh

Cavicchi makes great pipes. Out of the three I have two are among the best smokers i've got in the whole collection. I bought them before he got super popular so the price point was nice too. Now they are a bit more but if I have the scratch post Christmas i'd def like to add a few more to the collection.

I love my two Rad Davis pipes. They are great smokers for sure. I'd def pick another one up over a Dunhill or SJ any day of the week. JoeD gifted me a Rad smooth bent tomato years ago and its a fav of mine. If you have a soft spot for Rads work, keep buying them, I think they are excellent pipes! And it seems every time I look at them they get a little more expensive lol.

VirtualSmitty
10-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Been threw a few Cob's, Mainly for sampling different tobacco's
And Also i have my Briar i bought online i think from the "other place ;) " from a guy that hooked me up with a great selection of tobacco as well- All it says is Algerian Briar Made in France. Def. a cheaper pipe, So i tend on using it for flavors.

So all in and all a Jirsa would be a great pickup for someone Looking towards a more quality pipe, But still under the 100$ Range :D
If you have any other suggestions i would be very interested in them as well :tf

For under 100 bucks? The new Italian made Comoy pipes are pretty good for the price they charge. There's always Petersons and Stanwells, i've only got one of each but they are pretty good pipes. I know alot of people that like Bjarne pipes as well.

Guitarman-S.T-
10-16-2009, 10:28 PM
For under 100 bucks? The new Italian made Comoy pipes are pretty good for the price they charge. There's always Petersons and Stanwells, i've only got one of each but they are pretty good pipes. I know alot of people that like Bjarne pipes as well.

well the Jirsa is under 100$ Borderline... Is this i take it an extreme for Low/Base grade quality from them?

I've never really seen to many Petersons or Stanwells that interest me, and have yet to look into Bjarne...

VirtualSmitty
10-16-2009, 10:32 PM
well the Jirsa is under 100$ Borderline... Is this i take it an extreme for Low/Base grade quality from them?

I've never really seen to many Petersons or Stanwells that interest me, and have yet to look into Bjarne...

No, that's about what they retail for normally.

Guitarman-S.T-
10-16-2009, 10:34 PM
No, that's about what they retail for normally.

Oh Perfect!

And may i ask which is you by far Favorite pipe, and the price range for that given pipe, I'm just interested in what a Vet. Pipe smoker as yourself prefers among all ;)

thanks again for all the help

Emjaysmash
10-16-2009, 10:38 PM
You better smoke that baby in concert! You'll be BAD ASS MAN!

drob
10-16-2009, 10:44 PM
If you want to be less than or around $100, then the Bjarne, Peterson, and Savinelli's are great choices. I own at least one of each and they are all great smokers.

Another great choice is Mark Tinsky. An American carver whose pipes are top of the line puffers. They won't cost you an arm and a leg, either.

http://amsmoke.com/

The nicest, driest, coolest smoking pipe I own is the Cavicci that 'smitty gifted me.
But, the 3 Tinsky's I smoke hold their own quite well.

VirtualSmitty
10-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Oh Perfect!

And may i ask which is you by far Favorite pipe, and the price range for that given pipe, I'm just interested in what a Vet. Pipe smoker as yourself prefers among all ;)

thanks again for all the help

I don't really have a single favorite pipe. Certain pipes I dedicate to certain blends I like or certain categories. So it depends what i'm in the mood for that day :r

Guitarman-S.T-
10-16-2009, 10:54 PM
You better smoke that baby in concert! You'll be BAD ASS MAN!
Only if YOU come to that said concert ;)
If you want to be less than or around $100, then the Bjarne, Peterson, and Savinelli's are great choices. I own at least one of each and they are all great smokers.

Another great choice is Mark Tinsky. An American carver whose pipes are top of the line puffers. They won't cost you an arm and a leg, either.

http://amsmoke.com/

The nicest, driest, coolest smoking pipe I own is the Cavicci that 'smitty gifted me.
But, the 3 Tinsky's I smoke hold their own quite well.
Thank you! I'll look into the Cavicci's
I don't really have a single favorite pipe. Certain pipes I dedicate to certain blends I like or certain categories. So it depends what i'm in the mood for that day :r

Fine fine you win :tu But thanks again :banger

Whee
10-16-2009, 10:56 PM
'Bout time bro.:D

That is a great looking pipe. I am partial to Nordings. Good looking, relatively inexpensive good smoker.

Pick up a couple of Dr. Grabow. Just like a cob, only briar.:D

Guitarman-S.T-
10-16-2009, 10:57 PM
'Bout time bro.:D

That is a great looking pipe. I am partial to Nordings. Good looking, relatively inexpensive good smoker.

Pick up a couple of Dr. Grabow. Just like a cob, only briar.:D

hahaha Pretty much lolM Nice one buddy ;)

HOW YOU BEEN!
I'm in iowa now, So a little closer in case you want to roadtrip :tu

Whee
10-16-2009, 11:00 PM
hahaha Pretty much lolM Nice one buddy ;)

HOW YOU BEEN!
I'm in iowa now, So a little closer in case you want to roadtrip :tu

Hmmmmmm....:hm

MarkinAZ
10-16-2009, 11:10 PM
ST, you can also research the following site:

http://www.frenchyspipes.com/index.php?crn=217 (http://www.frenchyspipes.com/index.php?crn=217)

Frenchy always seems to have a nice selection of pipes here...

Guitarman-S.T-
10-17-2009, 04:42 PM
ST, you can also research the following site:

http://www.frenchyspipes.com/index.php?crn=217 (http://www.frenchyspipes.com/index.php?crn=217)

Frenchy always seems to have a nice selection of pipes here...

appreciate the link :banger

Curly Cut
10-20-2009, 12:17 PM
i know you didn't ask me, but thought i'd add :2 since i own a couple of the following as well:
i own 1 rad davis, and have 1 Cavicchi (from VS) and 2 Ser Jacs.
they all smoke equal to, or better than, the rad davis i have.

Guitarman-S.T-
10-20-2009, 12:57 PM
probably going to snag that Blowfish ;)

NOW i will need some recomendations for Pipe Tobacc for this pup ;)

And maybe some guidelines... I will probably use my other briar for flavored tobacco's then What should i look for to use on my new pipe to keep it " True to form" and only natural tobacco... Do I really need separate pipes If i smoke alot of Cavendish.. or possibly straight burley... Still fairly new to me but im learning thanks guys for allthe help

mhailey
10-20-2009, 01:34 PM
I bought my first Jirsa about 2 months ago, and I love it. Based upon my experience with this one, and the reviews i have from others, I would not hesitate in buying another.

My :2

Matt

Guitarman-S.T-
10-20-2009, 01:38 PM
I bought my first Jirsa about 2 months ago, and I love it. Based upon my experience with this one, and the reviews i have from others, I would not hesitate in buying another.

My :2

Matt

I must say Thank you! Hearing reviews like this assure me it will be a fine investment indeed !

Looks like you guys that dwell mostly in the pipe forum will be seeing abit more of me after all :banger

Prepare for a Metal Feast!

Curly Cut
10-20-2009, 05:34 PM
And maybe some guidelines... I will probably use my other briar for flavored tobacco's then What should i look for to use on my new pipe to keep it " True to form" and only natural tobacco... Do I really need separate pipes If i smoke alot of Cavendish.. or possibly straight burley... Still fairly new to me but im learning thanks guys for allthe help
what have you smoked before and liked?

the bold part in your quote: YES, if you smoke a couple burley blends in a pipe, it can ghost that pipe after only a couple of smokes. i smoked a strong burley blend in 1 of my pipes, thinking it would do no harm with 1 bowl. WRONG, it still tastes like burley at times.
example of what i'm saying: lets say you have a briar straw, and you love grape kool-ade. you drink the same grape flavored kool-ade for a week straight. you rinse the straw after every glass. then one day, you decide to go for kiwi-strawberry. you stick your straw that has a grape kool-ade ghost in it, and take a sip... you taste grape with hints of kiwi-strawberry.

you don't need a pipe for every single blend you smoke, but it's suggested to have at least 1 for the different genres of pipe tobacco you smoke.

some ppl have enough pipes, and a favorite tobacco, they dedicate that pipe to that tobacco - it also helps if the pipe really likes tosmoke that tobacco.

i can't make any suggestions for you until we know what you've had and like or dislike (and why).

DrDubzz
10-20-2009, 05:56 PM
i know you didn't ask me, but thought i'd add :2 since i own a couple of the following as well:
i own 1 rad davis, and have 1 Cavicchi (from VS) and 2 Ser Jacs.
they all smoke equal to, or better than, the rad davis i have.

thanks for the info, when I'm allowed to spend money again I will take this into consideration. Claudio makes some very nice Lovats and Dublins, two shapes I'd like to add to the stable

Guitarman-S.T-
10-20-2009, 08:07 PM
What major blends should be divided per pipe is a large question for me now.

I enjoy Ashtons Smooth Sailing, a blend that im smoking right now Bayou Nights. I remember there were a few Peter Stokkebye blends i enjoyed at the cigar lounge in Vegas. Normally they were all blends and at the time i have no clue what was in it ( So maybe suggestions for STRAIGHT tobacco i could search for to really taste the differences.)

Beyond that I really am clueless haha, Cigars I go Ape sh*t for reading articles, listening and learning, also a bit of teaching but Pipe is still a fairly new thing to me.

what have you smoked before and liked?

the bold part in your quote: YES, if you smoke a couple burley blends in a pipe, it can ghost that pipe after only a couple of smokes. i smoked a strong burley blend in 1 of my pipes, thinking it would do no harm with 1 bowl. WRONG, it still tastes like burley at times.
example of what i'm saying: lets say you have a briar straw, and you love grape kool-ade. you drink the same grape flavored kool-ade for a week straight. you rinse the straw after every glass. then one day, you decide to go for kiwi-strawberry. you stick your straw that has a grape kool-ade ghost in it, and take a sip... you taste grape with hints of kiwi-strawberry.

you don't need a pipe for every single blend you smoke, but it's suggested to have at least 1 for the different genres of pipe tobacco you smoke.

some ppl have enough pipes, and a favorite tobacco, they dedicate that pipe to that tobacco - it also helps if the pipe really likes tosmoke that tobacco.

i can't make any suggestions for you until we know what you've had and like or dislike (and why).

mhailey
10-20-2009, 09:14 PM
some shops will let you sample, just ask. so grab a cob and sample their bulk blends. cant hurt to try a different blend when you are there. typing on the wii so this is short.

Guitarman-S.T-
10-20-2009, 09:15 PM
some shops will let you sample, just ask. so grab a cob and sample their bulk blends. cant hurt to try a different blend when you are there. typing on the wii so this is short.

Not a problem man, Good thinking, i remember doing it at the cigar lounge in vegas haha, Never thought of outside of it

DrDubzz
10-20-2009, 09:36 PM
What major blends should be divided per pipe is a large question for me now.

if it's me, my pipes are divided as such

english (anything with latakia), virginias and va/pers, and then I have an aromatic pipe

that's about it. I don't smoke any predominantly burley blends exept for the occasional carter hall or butternut burley (which I classify as aromatic), so I don't have a special burley pipe.

Guitarman-S.T-
10-20-2009, 10:09 PM

english (anything with latakia), virginias and va/pers, and then I have an aromatic pipe

that's about it. I don't smoke any predominantly burley blends exept for the occasional carter hall or butternut burley (which I classify as aromatic), so I don't have a special burley pipe.

What do you mean by the highlighted.. Other than that Thank you! thats the info i'm looking for :su

VirtualSmitty
10-20-2009, 10:16 PM
What do you mean by the highlighted.. Other than that Thank you! thats the info i'm looking for :su

Vaper is pipe slang for a virginia/perique blend such as escudo.

Guitarman-S.T-
10-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Vaper is pipe slang for a virginia/perique blend such as escudo.

Muaha! thanks V.S
HAD not a clue. Do you guys know of anyone that has a fairly decent collection that wouldnt mind selling a bit of a sampler pack of Tobacco, ?

Mainly for the reason to try the different blends ( or Straight styles of tobacco) before i devote my new Jirsa to ONE or another, so i know what i should look forward to in future purchases.

Thanks again!

Curly Cut
10-20-2009, 10:26 PM

english (anything with latakia), virginias and va/pers, and then I have an aromatic pipe.

similar to him, i have mine split up as
Va/Per pipes
Virginia pipes
Rope pipes
1 English pipe (anything with latakia)
1 Oriental pipe (oriental blends without latakia)
1 Aromatic pipe

since i'm predominantly a Virginia and Va/Per smoker, nearly 30 pipes of mine are dedicated to those blends.
i have grown out of liking anything with Latakia, so i have 1 pipe for English/Balkan style blends. i don't hate Oriental blends, but i'm not in the mood for them often, so i only keep 1 pipe for them as well.
by "rope pipes", there are some very strongly scented tobaccos that will ghost a pipe in a heartbeat, and i have 3 or 4 pipes dedicated to those types of tobaccos that Ropes are made from (unscented ropes, that is).

you don't want to smoke 5 bowls of english tobacco in 1 pipe, then smoke a light Virginia in the same pipe. you'll miss half the Virginia because the ghost of English will overpower the flavor.

DrDubzz
10-20-2009, 10:34 PM
my divisions are broader since I have 6-7 pipes that I smoke 95% of the time, and 3-4 more that occasionally get used

so I have 3 for va/vaper and 3 for latakia containing

then I have a small boswell for aros only, a churcwarden that gets something different every time (I don't smoke it often though) and a couple that were given to me that I almost never smoke

Savvy
10-20-2009, 11:52 PM
I suggest hopping over here http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9168 to get some samples of tobacco to try a bunch of different stuff and get an idea for what you like.

Guitarman-S.T-
10-21-2009, 06:25 AM
Hey savvy! Been far to long sense i heard from you!

Thanks alot guys!

Any BIG flavor profile differences from each blend ( I;m trying to think cigars by seeing which one i may enjoy the most)

Curly Cut
10-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Any BIG flavor profile differences from each blend ( I;m trying to think cigars by seeing which one i may enjoy the most)
yes, huge flavor differences between an English and a Virginia. once you're use to pipe tobacco and some of its subtleties, you'll be able to pick out differences in the same blend from one tin to another.
if you're still a cigar smoker, i'd try some Oriental blends (without Latakia), and some of the stronger in flavor Va/Per blends out there.

Guitarman-S.T-
10-21-2009, 05:51 PM
smoking a Burley right now, reminds me of Grilling, bonfires... Maybe a little Cypress aroma. little roasted Nut on the nose exhale... caramel .

How am i doing lol

Guitarman-S.T-
10-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Any Brand specific recommendations for an Oriental? Sounds interesting enough. Before i break in my new pipe ( when it arrives i want to be sure what i want it for)
If you say cigar orientated would, well be for the Oriental it sounds like a keeper.

Any reason you suggested Oriental for a CIgar guy? Any cigar tobacco flavor similarities?

Curly Cut
10-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Any Brand specific recommendations for an Oriental? Sounds interesting enough. Before i break in my new pipe ( when it arrives i want to be sure what i want it for)
If you say cigar orientated would, well be for the Oriental it sounds like a keeper.

Any reason you suggested Oriental for a CIgar guy? Any cigar tobacco flavor similarities?
i'd recommend McClellands for Oriental blends, they have a ton to choose from and are easy to smoke (as long as you don't get a broken flake style).

the reason for an Oriental for a guy who still smokes cigars is that your taste buds will still be use to the assault on them from cigars, you will miss a LOT of the flavors of a more mellow in flavor smoke from a pipe. an Oriental has a bit of a kick of flavor (not nicotine, but just the initial flavors you get while puffing). if you were to smoke, say... a La Gloria Series R in the morning or night before, then attempt to smoke a light Virginia tobacco, you'd most likely miss more than half the subtle flavors that are in there. it took me months of smoking only pipes after i stopped cigars before i could pick up some flavors found in lighter blends. with Oriental and Latakia based blends, the flavor is in your face from the get go, like cigars.

they don't taste like cigars, and don't search for a tobacco that has "cigar leaf" in it, they're not that good and taste nothing like them.

there's a huge variety of flavors out there to choose from... just as many as cigars.

have fun with it.

Pilon
10-21-2009, 10:39 PM
You want a pipe that jumps at you and wows you, but one thing I learned recently with pipes is you want to make sure it will burn the tobacco well and to the bottom of the bowl so it ages well, etc. An older gentlemen who's been smoking pipes for over 20 years showed me a neat thing he does when shopping for pipes. he takes a clean pipecleaner and puts it through the mouthpiece to the inner bowl. you can see the end of the pipcleaner and you want to make sure it's flush with the bottom of the bowl. After doing this with some other bowls, I noticed some did not go flush with the bottom and he said it would not burn as well as the others. Just an FYI. Hard to test that when buying online.

Pilon
10-21-2009, 10:40 PM
And if interested, my local shop just picked up some Bilberry Pipe Tobacco, smells amazing. I actually grabbed a pinch and ate it. Yumm

Guitarman-S.T-
10-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Wonderful! I'll be placing a little order tonight :banger

i'd recommend McClellands for Oriental blends, they have a ton to choose from and are easy to smoke (as long as you don't get a broken flake style).

the reason for an Oriental for a guy who still smokes cigars is that your taste buds will still be use to the assault on them from cigars, you will miss a LOT of the flavors of a more mellow in flavor smoke from a pipe. an Oriental has a bit of a kick of flavor (not nicotine, but just the initial flavors you get while puffing). if you were to smoke, say... a La Gloria Series R in the morning or night before, then attempt to smoke a light Virginia tobacco, you'd most likely miss more than half the subtle flavors that are in there. it took me months of smoking only pipes after i stopped cigars before i could pick up some flavors found in lighter blends. with Oriental and Latakia based blends, the flavor is in your face from the get go, like cigars.

they don't taste like cigars, and don't search for a tobacco that has "cigar leaf" in it, they're not that good and taste nothing like them.

there's a huge variety of flavors out there to choose from... just as many as cigars.

have fun with it.

atlharp
10-22-2009, 08:41 AM
They vary quite a bit. I won't be buying any more Dunhills, they are good pipes but too expensive for what they are................Ser Jacopo pipes are a love hate thing for me. I used to have a bunch more than I do now but i've since gifted/sold/traded a bunch. I love the style but the smoking quality pipe to pipe is terribly inconsistent. Some smoke great from day one, others take ages to break in, and some just never smoked good. It drives me batty :mad::bh

Bjarne's seem like that too me. They are good pipes, but they are a ***** to break in. I like the Nording Freehand pipes. They are friggin' nice, and for the money they smoke like they have been broken in for years. The Blowfish pipes look good man, I would go for it. Between $50-$100 is a good range for a solid high-end burner. :tu

I would take a serious look at some of the Nording Freehands.

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=W&srch=DW&tier2=41

ATL

Guitarman-S.T-
10-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Bjarne's seem like that too me. They are good pipes, but they are a ***** to break in. I like the Nording Freehand pipes. They are friggin' nice, and for the money they smoke like they have been broken in for years. The Blowfish pipes look good man, I would go for it. Between $50-$100 is a good range for a solid high-end burner. :tu

I would take a serious look at some of the Nording Freehands.

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=W&srch=DW&tier2=41

ATL

awesome! well compared to the blowfish i ordered these aren't to far out for price range... Thanks! If this blowfish treats me well, you will be seeing pipe being a Very interesting hobby for me and I will have no other choice but to get that Nording :banger
ALL thanks to you guys :td haha Thanks alot, lets see how i'll afford this :tu

Guitarman-S.T-
10-22-2009, 05:11 PM
are there any Davidoff blends that would be classified as Oriental by chance?

Guitarman-S.T-
10-22-2009, 05:22 PM
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mcorsa.html so far this seems to look the best.. worth it, or will it be abit crazy on the Oriental hahaha ( and can all of this be smoked in the same pipe, even though they are different in ways... )

and Mclellands has a Cigar blend... Anything worth looking into? Or if i want a cigar lol Should i just SMOKE one

Curly Cut
10-22-2009, 08:44 PM
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mcorsa.html so far this seems to look the best.. worth it, or will it be abit crazy on the Oriental hahaha ( and can all of this be smoked in the same pipe, even though they are different in ways... )

and Mclellands has a Cigar blend... Anything worth looking into? Or if i want a cigar lol Should i just SMOKE one
don't get a whole bunch of orientals. one 2oz or 50g tin will last you 15-20 or more smokes. there are tons of things out there to try.

as far as cigar blends go, don't waste your time. if you want to taste a cigar, smoke one, as those pipe tobaccos with cigar leaf in them do NOT taste like a cigar.

Guitarman-S.T-
10-22-2009, 09:09 PM
don't get a whole bunch of orientals. one 2oz or 50g tin will last you 15-20 or more smokes. there are tons of things out there to try.

as far as cigar blends go, don't waste your time. if you want to taste a cigar, smoke one, as those pipe tobaccos with cigar leaf in them do NOT taste like a cigar.

any suggestiong on McClellands Orientals. maybe there mild, and one of there strong full bodied/ the extremes... (would these be fine in the same pipe)

\thanks again curly- i never caught your name, Sam here! thanks for all the on going assistance

Savvy
10-22-2009, 10:50 PM
I personally like McClelland's Grand Oriental Series. Right now I'm working through a tin of Yenice Agonya and it's pretty good stuff.

I suggest reading through www.tobaccoreviews.com to get an idea of what sounds good to you.

Guitarman-S.T-
10-23-2009, 07:10 AM
thats something else i was wondering. if the Grand series was worth it.
thanks Jordan!

Curly Cut
10-23-2009, 07:25 AM
any suggestiong on McClellands Orientals. maybe there mild, and one of there strong full bodied/ the extremes... (would these be fine in the same pipe)

\thanks again curly- i never caught your name, Sam here! thanks for all the on going assistance
on other sites, like CS (or Puff), i went by the username IHT (Greg), you may have seen my name every once in a while.

as far as suggestions for McClellands goes, Savvy is dead on with his praise of their Grand Oriental Series. I have enjoyed Smyrna #1 (http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcclelland/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=35580) when i've had it, it's on the milder side. another one to consider is their Oriental #14 (http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcclelland/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=154), which is on the stronger side and contains latakia.

other tobaccos i'd recommend are:
GLP Union Square (http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/g-l-pease/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=49966) - a Virginia with plenty of flavor
McClelland 5100 (http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcclelland/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=3983) - a sweet Virginia sold in bulk only
and for when you want to get kicked in the jimmy with nicotine...
GH&Co Dark Flake unscented (http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/gawith-hoggarth/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=4001) or
GH&Co Brown Twist Sliced (http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/gawith-hoggarth/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=3994) (or sliced Brown Twist, depending on who you buy it from) - which are both sold in bulk only.

for a VA/Per, there's a couple that have a good amount of oomph/in your face flavors
GLP Fillmore (http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/g-l-pease/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=22132) - this one took me about 3 tins of smoking before i was able to pick up on the subtle sweetness of the virginias, as the perique was so dominant for me
A&C Petersen Escudo - my favorite, but seems to be out of stock most everywhere.

Guitarman-S.T-
10-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Amazing! Would Both the Orientals be fine to smoke in the same pipe, knowing one is so mild and the other much stronger.

And if i could only pick up 1 Virginia, what would you prefer more. :banger

on other sites, like CS (or Puff), i went by the username IHT (Greg), you may have seen my name every once in a while.

as far as suggestions for McClellands goes, Savvy is dead on with his praise of their Grand Oriental Series. I have enjoyed Smyrna #1 (http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcclelland/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=35580) when i've had it, it's on the milder side. another one to consider is their Oriental #14 (http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcclelland/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=154), which is on the stronger side and contains latakia.

GLP Union Square (http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/g-l-pease/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=49966) - a Virginia with plenty of flavor
McClelland 5100 (http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcclelland/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=3983) - a sweet Virginia sold in bulk only
GH&Co Dark Flake unscented (http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/gawith-hoggarth/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=4001) or
GH&Co Brown Twist Sliced (http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/gawith-hoggarth/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=3994) (or sliced Brown Twist, depending on who you buy it from) - which are both sold in bulk only.

for a VA/Per, there's a couple that have a good amount of oomph/in your face flavors
GLP Fillmore (http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/g-l-pease/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=22132) - this one took me about 3 tins of smoking before i was able to pick up on the subtle sweetness of the virginias, as the perique was so dominant for me
A&C Petersen Escudo - my favorite, but seems to be out of stock most everywhere.

Curly Cut
10-23-2009, 08:24 PM
both would be fine in the same pipe.

which of the two VAs? i'd take Union Square...

atlharp
10-24-2009, 02:53 PM

Great now you did it! You are sure to get banned now....:r

ATL

Guitarman-S.T-
10-24-2009, 04:17 PM

ATL
Hahaha he's the man ;)

helped me a ton too. My blowfish arrived today, and DAMNIT i still need to get some oriental/virginia and va.p to see what the hell i wanna smoke in it!

Ah =[ this sucks haha

* If i place a hefty order of mixed tobacco would anyone else be interested in some? I highly doubt i can go through it all *

Emjaysmash
10-24-2009, 05:10 PM
* If i place a hefty order of mixed tobacco would anyone else be interested in some? I highly doubt i can go through it all *

I might. ;) Let me know what your willing to share, and how much you want for some.

Guitarman-S.T-
10-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Any of these interest ya ;)

-------
n other sites, like CS (or Puff), i went by the username IHT (Greg), you may have seen my name every once in a while.

as far as suggestions for McClellands goes, Savvy is dead on with his praise of their Grand Oriental Series. I have enjoyed Smyrna #1 when i've had it, it's on the milder side. another one to consider is their Oriental #14, which is on the stronger side and contains latakia.

GLP Union Square - a Virginia with plenty of flavor
McClelland 5100 - a sweet Virginia sold in bulk only
GH&Co Dark Flake unscented or
GH&Co Brown Twist Sliced (or sliced Brown Twist, depending on who you buy it from) - which are both sold in bulk only.

GLP Fillmore - this one took me about 3 tins of smoking before i was able to pick up on the subtle sweetness of the virginias, as the perique was so dominant for me

Curly Cut
10-24-2009, 08:14 PM
ATL:tpd: surprised i wasn't.

Guitarman-S.T-
10-24-2009, 09:34 PM
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/A-C-Peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=782n its in stock ;)

Guitarman-S.T-
10-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Just got my order in!

- Margate
-Escudo Navy De Luxe
-No.14 Oriental
-Smyrna #1
-Union Square.

After my first puff of the No.14 I knew i could dedicate my new blowfish Jirsa to Oriental.
But a quick question, Does anyone know off hand what type of Tobacco Category would these be classified as?

-Margate
-Boswell Northwood
-McClellands Blackwoods Flake

And how long till I'm able to smoke a full bowl in this new pipe haha, Can barely keep the whole bowl lit haha

Guitarman-S.T-
10-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Pretty much answered my own questions on the blends , Had to do some research ;)

VirtualSmitty
10-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Pretty much answered my own questions on the blends , Had to do some research ;)

Margate is excellent, one of my favorite esoterica blends. Nice ribbon cut english :tu

Guitarman-S.T-
10-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Margate is excellent, one of my favorite esoterica blends. Nice ribbon cut english :tu

Awesome! Any tip on smoking the ribbon i believe looks like sheets of Tobac. and the Disks in the De Luxe?

Any specific way on how to pack these, or do you just crumble them up like any other tobac.

Curly Cut
10-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Awesome! Any tip on smoking the ribbon i believe looks like sheets of Tobac. and the Disks in the De Luxe?

Any specific way on how to pack these, or do you just crumble them up like any other tobac.

just crumble them up... or, do what most do, fold em up in the palm of your hand, then rub your palms together and the tobacco breaks apart into ribbons.
that's what we call "rubbing it out". :D

MarkinAZ
10-29-2009, 08:44 PM
But a quick question, Does anyone know off hand what type of Tobacco Category would these be classified as?

-Boswell Northwood

On the Boswell web page, Northwood is classified as "an English blend."

MarkinAZ
10-29-2009, 08:46 PM
just crumble them up... or, do what most do, fold em up in the palm of your hand, then rub your palms together and the tobacco breaks apart into ribbons.

In fact, I had some Escudo just this morning and folded a couple of disc and stuffed em' in my Boswell billiard:tu

Guitarman-S.T-
10-29-2009, 08:50 PM
In fact, I had some Escudo just this morning and folded a couple of disc and stuffed em' in my Boswell billiard:tu

Sounds good! So just folding can do the job, Interesting:)

haha I'm sure, But thanks for the info! I'm set for awhile i hope for Tobacc haha, But i'll be needed more pipes i can already tell:tf

VirtualSmitty
10-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Ribbon is just loose cut, just stuff it in. If you have discs like escudo, either stuff and stack if the bowl is wide enough or fold em and stuff it in. Flakes I just rub out like Greg says and crumble cakes I crumble up :r

Curly Cut
10-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Sounds good! So just folding can do the job, Interesting:)
as mark said, it can do the job. some ppl do it that way. i have had difficulty in keeping it lit the few times i've tried it.
unlike cigars, where you clip one end, draw smoke from the other and you're done, pipes can be prepared in different ways. it's up to the smoker to decide through trial and error to see what they like doing the best.

to me, the filling of the pipe is the most important thing you're going to do. it takes some practice, but once you get the hang of it, it's second nature.
the entire ritualistic movements will all become instinctive over time.

you'll hear ppl talk about the frank method, the air pocket method, cubing flakes, fold 'n stuff, 3 tier method, etc. then you see some old phuck that sticks his pipe in a pouch, takes his thumb, and in a matter of 10 seconds, his bowl is filled and he lights it up...

there have been times when i've gone on business trips for 2+ weeks where i can't smoke. i get home and it takes me about a week to get back into the swing of packing a pipe pretty good. right now, i don't do any "method" at all, i just fill it up how i fill it, light and go. i'm not in a contest, so i don't really care how many re-lights i have, as long as the tobacco smokes well, i'm good to go.

Guitarman-S.T-
10-30-2009, 07:08 PM
thank YOU! IHT!

Smoking some of the No.1 sMYRna right now
Think I am leaning towards the no.14 more, With alot of lighter tobaccos i taste a bit if i exhale through the nose, but beyond that its like Hot air.. no flavor. Sense i've been smoking the pipe i havent really smoked much for cigars in a week or so, Does my pallet just need to stick with the Pipe before i can appreciate the lighter milder blends?

Curly Cut
10-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Smoking some of the No.1 sMYRna right now
Think I am leaning towards the no.14 more, With alot of lighter tobaccos i taste a bit if i exhale through the nose, but beyond that its like Hot air.. no flavor. Sense i've been smoking the pipe i havent really smoked much for cigars in a week or so, Does my pallet just need to stick with the Pipe before i can appreciate the lighter milder blends?
this is the same thing that happened to me when i switched from cigars back to pipes. couldn't taste the milder tobaccos at all, was missing all kinds of flavors that were there, my palate was just so use to being bombarded with flavors in my face from cigars.

the Smyrna #1 isn't as "in your face" as #14 (no latakia).
Oriental #14 was a fav of mine when i started back with pipes. i could taste it, it had some ooomph to it. a couple months or less later, i started to get some flavors from the milder blends. now that im more experienced, i think it could've been 2 things. first, my taste buds were numb from the cigars, or second, the tobaccos themselves were muted due to not having any time to air out and dry up a bit (just like overhumidified cigars = muted flavors).
so, give it some time, in another month or two, you'll be picking up the little flavors you were missing before in the milder blends. they're there, they just aren' there to come smack the taste out of your mouth (figuratively and literally).

Guitarman-S.T-
10-30-2009, 10:49 PM
should i open the jars ( i placed all tobaccos into there own glass jars)
and let air out... and possibly what is the ideal humidity...

Thanks again! learning so much, so far i guess i'm picking up you can age Pipe tobaccos just as well as cigars, in there own sense,

Curly Cut
10-31-2009, 09:15 PM
should i open the jars ( i placed all tobaccos into there own glass jars)
and let air out... and possibly what is the ideal humidity...

Thanks again! learning so much, so far i guess i'm picking up you can age Pipe tobaccos just as well as cigars, in there own sense,
sure, open the jars every now and then, for the ones you want to smoke that are recently opened. letting them breath is a good thing. i'm not saying leave them open for an hour or two. maybe open them for 5 minutes while you're getting the tobacco out that you want to smoke.

the ideal humidity is up to the smoker. some smoke wetter tobacco than others. some say the ideal humidity is when the tobacco is moist enough for you to still be able to mold it into a ball and for it to spring back. you dn't want it to where you try to bend the tobacco and it breaks like crispy bacon.
some tobaccos, like McClelland broken flakes, need prepping as soon as you open the tin before it dries out and you can't prepare it. some ppl take the tobacco straight out of the tin, throw it into a pip and let 'er rip (some tobacco is ready to smoke straight out of a freshly opened tin, most are not).

yes, you can age tobaccos just like cigars. best to leave the tins sealed if you want to do that, though.

Guitarman-S.T-
11-01-2009, 02:17 AM
Thanks a lot! Hope everyone had a good Halloween

Guitarman-S.T-
11-13-2009, 05:38 PM
So far been smoking Orientals with my new Jirsa, And after trying a few English and Va.pers.. im like DAMN! should i have dedicated that pipe to one of those. Do the flavor profiles of English/ Va.pers go beyond or possibly mold well with an already Oriental smoked pipe...

I have no issue keeping it 100% oriental but If i'm able to switch it SOONER rather than later I'd be a happy man ( still barely any cake.. maybe 5-6 bowls smoked in it)

thanks once again guys, Dont worry, I'll be all Learned up in No times, Yes sir'y Bob!:banger

Savvy
11-13-2009, 06:18 PM
So far been smoking Orientals with my new Jirsa, And after trying a few English and Va.pers.. im like DAMN! should i have dedicated that pipe to one of those. Do the flavor profiles of English/ Va.pers go beyond or possibly mold well with an already Oriental smoked pipe...

I have no issue keeping it 100% oriental but If i'm able to switch it SOONER rather than later I'd be a happy man ( still barely any cake.. maybe 5-6 bowls smoked in it)

thanks once again guys, Dont worry, I'll be all Learned up in No times, Yes sir'y Bob!:banger

If you've only had a few bowls in it so far, switch it over if you want to. Its easier to do it earlier than later.

Guitarman-S.T-
11-13-2009, 07:19 PM
If you've only had a few bowls in it so far, switch it over if you want to. Its easier to do it earlier than later.

Out of english tobacc's such as... Boswell's Northwood, and Margate

and Va.pers such as Escudo, and Fillmore... Is there a type of tobacco that would completely mask the original flavors left behind with the few Oriental bowls?

Just trying to make the right choice ;) thanks again guys, and Thanks Jordan!

Guitarman-S.T-
11-13-2009, 07:33 PM
CONFUSING! lol
Margate is described to contain
-Virginia
Latakia
Oriental

and on the Package says... English... sooooo... lol I'm guessing this would smoke great with a light backbone of Oriental, but is this an actual English blend?

( So confusing, maybe someone should just recommend me a good Pipe book before I drive everyone crazy =] )

VirtualSmitty
11-13-2009, 08:21 PM
CONFUSING! lol
Margate is described to contain
-Virginia
Latakia
Oriental

and on the Package says... English... sooooo... lol I'm guessing this would smoke great with a light backbone of Oriental, but is this an actual English blend?

( So confusing, maybe someone should just recommend me a good Pipe book before I drive everyone crazy =] )

It's an English. Good one too!

Guitarman-S.T-
11-13-2009, 08:57 PM
It's an English. Good one too!

the Jirsa is an Englich pipe =]

What did you ever choose for yours VS?

VirtualSmitty
11-13-2009, 09:00 PM
the Jirsa is an Englich pipe =]

What did you ever choose for yours VS?

My Jirsa is dedicated to mostly Penzance.

Emjaysmash
11-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Is Margate any good? I am a big fan of English blends and I havent tried that one.

VirtualSmitty
11-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Is Margate any good? I am a big fan of English blends and I havent tried that one.

Yes, i'm very fond of it. Some people say it's just Penzance ribbon cut but I disagree. I find it to be a bit more balanced and not quite as strong.

Guitarman-S.T-
11-13-2009, 09:59 PM
and penzance is an english? and after you dedicate a pipe only TO one tobacco thats... dedication ;)

Emjaysmash
11-13-2009, 11:44 PM
and penzance is an english? and after you dedicate a pipe only TO one tobacco thats... dedication ;)
Yes, Penzance is an English. A good one, as I hear. Need to try that too!

Guitarman-S.T-
11-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Oi mj!
well like i was sayin before i got a load of tobacco, You looking to try any?

Emjaysmash
11-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Well... what you got? LOL ;)

you lookin for a trade? if so, for pipe tobacco or cigars?

Guitarman-S.T-
11-14-2009, 12:08 AM
hell a trade for cigars would be great! Can't find any good ones in my area.
Picked up

margate
escudo
fillmore
McClellands No.14, and Smyrna orientals
Boswells Northwood
Union Square

mMMmm I know i got a few more tucked away
just shoot me a pm

Emjaysmash
11-14-2009, 12:15 AM
hell a trade for cigars would be great! Can't find any good ones in my area.
Picked up

margate
escudo
fillmore
McClellands No.14, and Smyrna orientals
Boswells Northwood
Union Square

mMMmm I know i got a few more tucked away
just shoot me a pm
Sent

VirtualSmitty
11-14-2009, 02:57 PM

I have a lot of Penzance, it's one of my favs!

Guitarman-S.T-
11-14-2009, 04:39 PM
I have a lot of Penzance, it's one of my favs!

how much different then... Margate.. or Northwoods?

VirtualSmitty
11-14-2009, 04:50 PM
how much different then... Margate.. or Northwoods?

Like Margate but fuller in latakia :2

Guitarman-S.T-
11-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Like Margate but fuller in latakia :2

AH! man haha, now im exited as all hell haha, I'm really enjoying the english blends i have, but still may need one with a Bigger Punch'ola!:banger
thanks for the info

Emjaysmash
11-14-2009, 08:40 PM
AH! man haha, now im exited as all hell haha, I'm really enjoying the english blends i have, but still may need one with a Bigger Punch'ola!:banger
thanks for the info

You get my PM?

Guitarman-S.T-
11-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Now heres a question.

Margate is described as=A classical English mixture done in the "old style" of many of the fine tobaccos that have now disappeared from the market place. Choice Orientals and generous quatities of premium Cyprian Latakia keynote this rich, full bodied blend. A well balanced, robust and eminently satisfying smoke. with- Virginia,Latakia and Oriental

McClellands Oriental No.14 as= Dark with Latakia and Black Virginias, deeply seasoned with Orientals, this is the classic full Scottish smoke.

Even though one is Oriental, and the other is an English, what large difference would there be to smoke both in the same pipe?

just a quick thought, to me in words they look identical but this is why I'm the noob ;)

Curly Cut
01-22-2010, 12:54 PM
nobody answered this one?

the difference between the two is the amount of each ingredient.
Oriental #14 has more Orientals "deeply seasoned with Orientals", it's a dark blend because latakia is dark, and the base is black virginias;
Margate has "choice orientals" (to me, lightly seasoned) and "generous quantities of premium Cyprian Latakia".

it comes down to the amount of each ingredient. if you were to call up Cornell and Diehl to design your own blend, they'd give you a list of ingredients and tell you to add them in 1/16th amounts at a time. so, 7/16ths bright VA, 3/16ths dark VA, 3/16ths Perique, and 3/16ths burley... that would be a Va/per/bur. ;) so an english would have more 16th latakia, and the oriental would have more... orientals, maybe with zero latakia. both with a VA base.

balkans, on the other hand, like Penzance, which is probably the only latakia heavy blend i'd want to smoke if i had to smoke one for the rest of my days... if i recall, and my be wrong, they are high in both latakia and orientals, hardly any VAs (that i've noticed). again, could be wrong on this one, don't research it much since it's not my bag.

btw - how's it coming with the pipe? got any new favorites?

kgoings
01-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Great thread, has some good info!

Bruce
01-22-2010, 03:33 PM
if you are just coming over from cigars, Penzance is highly recommended.
Also try this place for good, inexpensive pipes:
http://www.pulversbriar.com/specials.html

Guitarman-S.T-
01-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Thank you!
well i actually went through all of my Margate, am started to get more into Vapers and Virginias Finallys. I Love vapers, but lately it seems they get really harsh on my throat any more then half a bowl. Flake virginia's intrigue the hell out of me haha, So still looking for more English blends, Vapers and Virginia Flakes to enjoy.

Do you have a recommendation for a really light smoke blend possibly for early days... in comparison to Dunhills Early morning?

nobody answered this one?

the difference between the two is the amount of each ingredient.
Oriental #14 has more Orientals "deeply seasoned with Orientals", it's a dark blend because latakia is dark, and the base is black virginias;
Margate has "choice orientals" (to me, lightly seasoned) and "generous quantities of premium Cyprian Latakia".

it comes down to the amount of each ingredient. if you were to call up Cornell and Diehl to design your own blend, they'd give you a list of ingredients and tell you to add them in 1/16th amounts at a time. so, 7/16ths bright VA, 3/16ths dark VA, 3/16ths Perique, and 3/16ths burley... that would be a Va/per/bur. ;) so an english would have more 16th latakia, and the oriental would have more... orientals, maybe with zero latakia. both with a VA base.

balkans, on the other hand, like Penzance, which is probably the only latakia heavy blend i'd want to smoke if i had to smoke one for the rest of my days... if i recall, and my be wrong, they are high in both latakia and orientals, hardly any VAs (that i've noticed). again, could be wrong on this one, don't research it much since it's not my bag.

btw - how's it coming with the pipe? got any new favorites?