PDA

View Full Version : Just my feelings toward Cigar Asylum

AndyMadera
06-17-2009, 05:59 AM
A conversation I just had with a fellow CA member and BOTL has inspired me to make this post.

It has been a very rough road for me through the last year and a half working with Guillen Cigars (AKA GDW Cigars), more than most of you will ever know. I have constantly been fighting stress emotionally and financially. When I first got into this in Sept 07, I saw it as a fun project to make some money and help people at the same time. I didnt smoke at the time and it took me 8 months to get to the point to light up my first stogie. After that i very rapidly got past the taboo of smoking (cigars).

From there I started getting more and more involved with online communities. First Cigar Live, than Cigar Pass, Club Stogie, and soon after Cigar Asylum. It wasnt until CA started that I truly got to understand what Cigars are all about. Brothers of the leaf, the people, the friendships, that all come together while stepping away from life and enjoying a good smoke together. And when I say this... I dont just mean this compared to other Cigar forums... But I dont think there is any other place online or in person, that I can meet so many quality people... PERIOD! Not even "family" reunions.... To me, Cigar Asylum has been probably the most support I have gotten from anyway/anyone/for anything, in my whole life. My life is full of people including my own family telling me Im a failure and will always be. That Im wasting my time and money on anything I try to do. Recently, SOME of them are starting to see the light. But CA as complete strangers has come to my side and kept me on my feet. When that above mentioned CA member was talking to me I realized that among many other factors along the way, without CA, I very well may have never made it this far or ever succeeded. There are so many of you that I would gladly consider family. Since day one you have encouraged me, and listened to my stresses, and stuck by my side. Not only do I feel honored to know you guys, I feel that same honor in return. Recently I tried to break into a new forum that I will not name. But right off the bat I was treated I feel poorly because I was not a site supporter. At that time making my introduction I offered up free sticks to a bunch of people in a box pass with some interesting aspects to it. I had not even tried to sell my cigars yet and a few key members/mods were hurrassing me about not giving them money. Granted many of the other members responded in my defense, I didnt and STILL dont feel like Im truely welcome there. JUST BECAUSE OF MY OCCUPATION... Its like im completely disregarded as being able to be a valid member of the site beyond the point of being a vendor. I first posted there 3 months ago and still have not posted a single sale thread, and just yesterday a member with 21,000 posts and a site supporter was putting me down for not contributing money.

At that same time I had decided I dont really want to post more sale threads here on CA, The extra money has definitely been key to keeping us in business but now that we are getting into retail I dont think its as necessary. As much as I can use the extra money and enjoy getting my cigars to more members, I just don't want to take away from the rest of what CA has to offer. I look at CA as a home, friends, a place to put my feet down and blow off some steam if i need too (which can be often), and lend my ears to others at the same time. I know im not the only one here having a tuff time in life!!! I dont want to feel less a part of that because I usa CA as a "marketing tool" as referred to by members on the other sites...

All n all, I dont know what EVERYONE gets out of my participation on the boards, but there is a large group that I owe the deapest gratitude. There is now way I can thank you enough. And although I dont really know the admins TOO well, I have to give a special thanks to you guys as well. You guys do an OUTSTANDING job. you keep this place the way it was meant to be. Without a team like you guys it wouldnt be the same, Congratulations.

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Don't ever change.
Andy

DougBushBC
06-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Awwwwwwwww :l

pnoon
06-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Andy,

It is for people like you that the Team of 11 created CA in the first place. We wanted to establish a community that folks could call home. Thanks for sharing your story.

blooz4u
06-17-2009, 06:26 AM
:tu

14holestogie
06-17-2009, 06:30 AM
Any site who's first call is "show me the money" ain't worth chit.

Thanks for reminding us why we're here, Andy. :tu

dccraft
06-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Thanks for sharing your story Andy. There are a lot of great folks on here that truely DO make this place feel like home! :tu

Ashcan Bill
06-17-2009, 06:51 AM
I'm glad you're part of the family here and glad we had a chance to meet, Andy. :tu

Wanger
06-17-2009, 06:54 AM
Well said, Andy. And I will say that it was definitely great to meet you and hang out in Vegas. :)

poker
06-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Andy, you are as much a part of Cigar Asylum as anyone. I'm sure most everyone here is glad you're a part of the community.

One of the reasons we have a retailer room is so folks like you can advertise what you have without fear of others hounding you to buy a banner ad or requiring you to participate in a "paid" membership. That room was made just for folks like you!

Thank you for the very kind words.

taltos
06-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Very well said. Thanks to the Gang of 11, this place has become both home and a refuge.:tu

csbrewfisher
06-17-2009, 07:29 AM
You're one of the good guys Andy, and it's a pleasure to call you brother.

BlackIrish
06-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the thoughtful and inspiring post, Andy. And thanks for making great cigars.

This place *is* great.

Texan in Mexico
06-17-2009, 07:44 AM
I can only echo Peter's words Andy. The name Asylum has alot more significance than many realized at first.

This is truly a refuge or port in troubled times.

Best of luck to you!

Travis

G G
06-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Very well said. Thanks to the Gang of 11, this place has become both home and a refuge.:tu
:tpd:

VTDragon
06-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the thoughtful post Andy and best of luck with your venture.

SmokeyJoe
06-17-2009, 08:09 AM
Well said, Andy!

Your post really made me smile... and realize how grateful I am for this little family we have here.

Other boards exist for different reasons... Cigar Asylum is what I am looking for in a cigar community. Sounds like it is for you, too.

Blessings on you and your business ventures. You know you have a lot of support here in the Asylum. :tu

elderboy02
06-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Nice post Andy :banger

:l

ChicagoWhiteSox
06-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks Andy:)

trader1974
06-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Great Post!:tu

icehog3
06-17-2009, 08:42 AM
I feel like I know you better after reading your post, Andy, and it is great having BOTLs like you in the Asylum. Being a retailer doesn't mean you can't be a true Brother of the Leaf as well...thanks for reminding us of that.

68TriShield
06-17-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm glad you are here Andy and wish you continued success!

Whee
06-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Andy is good people. I "IM" herfed with him while writing a review for him. That's what this place is all about. Meeting people you would never expect to meet and enjoying something in common.

GreekGodX
06-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Great post brother. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :tu

This is a great community we have made up. We seem to weed out any a-hole's and accept everyone as equal. If someone is down we all rally to bring them up. The support here is amazing and I only hope it gets stronger.

bobarian
06-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Very nice post Andy, thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts into words.

I think that most of us wouldnt mind seeing an occasional sale of posted. Especially, new blends or special offers. I also would like to see more posts from your side of the fence. How you blend and choose your tobacco, anything that would help us gain more insight into the world of cigars.:tu

Patron
06-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Well said Andy.

darkninja67
06-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Well said.

The generosity here at CA is infectious. I have never seen it like this at any other forum I frequent. I belong to at least 20 forum too.

sikk50
06-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Posts like these make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

Mugen910
06-17-2009, 02:05 PM
:wo skype crew!

ade06
06-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Nice post... except for the drama on the other cigar site. I thought I read in the rules that we're supposed to keep other website drama at the other website. :rlz Just kidding, nice post and I'm still waiting on that box pass you referenced in chat...

colimo
06-17-2009, 02:59 PM
what they all said!!!:tpd::tu

Stay with us Andy....and thank you

BlackDog
06-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Great post Andy!! As others have said, I feel similarly about CA. I can't think of a more generous group of people that it's been my priviledge to know.

The Poet
06-17-2009, 04:08 PM
No, I'm not crying - my allergies are kickin' up.:o

JohnnyKay5
06-17-2009, 04:14 PM
soooo loonngg.... i'm not in school anymore cuz i dont like reading. but from what i got out of my skimming I can tell you this. I met andy just before returning from Iraq and although I know he was trying to get his company up and running, I never saw him as a guy tryin to push sticks on you. He's been in chat and the posts truly as a BOTL...

welcome home

adampc22
06-17-2009, 04:17 PM
your one of the best mate and i feel honerd to know you and class u as a brother

NCRadioMan
06-17-2009, 04:19 PM
I feel like I know you better after reading your post, Andy, and it is great having BOTLs like you in the Asylum. Being a retailer doesn't mean you can't be a true Brother of the Leaf as well...thanks for reminding us of that.

I never saw him as a guy tryin to push sticks on you. He's been in chat and the posts truly as a BOTL...

:tpd:Great post, brother!

I only question your choice of help (Albert). I mean, c'mon on. ;) :D

alley00p
06-17-2009, 04:20 PM
I was fortunate to meet Andy in Las Vegas at ELVIS, and spent some time having a great conversation about he got involved in GDW.

Since then, I see him on threads and almost nightly in Chat.

I'm proud to count him as one of my friends here at CA! :tu

:dance:

yourchoice
06-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Great post Andy. I agree, this is a very welcoming community. :tu :tu to everyone who makes this place what it is...and it's posts like yours that remind us of what this place is. :)

Ahbroody
06-17-2009, 04:43 PM
good read, this place is home for many. I often find myself checking in during the day. I am a member of many other forums but dont check in nearly as often as here.

nozero
06-17-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm glad you are here Andy and wish you continued success!

I couldn't agree more.

Bruzee
06-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks for sharing. I feel the same way about this place. Great people here, who would give the shirt off their back. :tu

AndyMadera
06-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Guys, im speachless... not as in no words, but my mouth just wont work right now from just pure emotion. Im glad i can still type what im feeling. hell, I guess maybe I cant even do that, Not even a fraction of it anyway. On top of your responces I got PMs, chat messages, skype, and motivational comments in my profile.... more than 50 individuals I would say... I had not idea how far it extended. I will never forget CA as long as I shall live, ofcourse being a member for life would kinda make it hard to forget!!!!
e
I think abe06 said it best, I should not have let my experience on the other site effect how I feel in general about my relationship here. on that note, I will resume my occasional offer, probably even later this evening with the Don Fernando and Casa Pineda. Thank you again, I cant say that enough.

God Bless,
Andy

gnukfu
06-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Nice post Andy. This is the reason why we all jumped to this place!

PitDog
06-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Excellent post Andy. :tu

WildBlueSooner
06-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Awesome Andy. Looks like all of your hard work, dedication, blood, sweat, and tears are finally paying off. One thing I have noticed about the Asylum since I got here was the support members offer each other, in all aspects of life. We are there for you Andy. Good luck in the future...I cant wait until you put out your Vermillion line in honor of me :r

shilala
06-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Guys, im speachless... not as in no words, but my mouth just wont work right now from just pure emotion. Im glad i can still type what im feeling. hell, I guess maybe I cant even do that, Not even a fraction of it anyway. On top of your responces I got PMs, chat messages, skype, and motivational comments in my profile.... more than 50 individuals I would say... I had not idea how far it extended. I will never forget CA as long as I shall live, ofcourse being a member for life would kinda make it hard to forget!!!!
e
I think abe06 said it best, I should not have let my experience on the other site effect how I feel in general about my relationship here. on that note, I will resume my occasional offer, probably even later this evening with the Don Fernando and Casa Pineda. Thank you again, I cant say that enough.

God Bless,
Andy

There's plenty of damn fine botl's here that are "in the business".
You've got an incredible opportunity to share your talents with your friends.
I can't imagine one reason in the world why you wouldn't want to share with your friends first. :tu
Your heart's in the right place, and what matters to you speaks volumes.
That's a hell of a place to start. :)

kelmac07
06-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Very heartfelt post Andy. I believe many (if not all) members here at the MADHOUSE feel the same way about this place. This is truly a haven for us and our fellow S/BOTLs.

Bruins Fan
06-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Great post Andy :tu

awsmith4
06-17-2009, 07:45 PM
:Great post, brother!

:tg :D

I agree Andy, this place is home :)

You guys would not believe the amount of effort that Andy and his employee put it to making sure that no matter how much we expand that we remember the guys that helped Guillen Cigars from the get go. CA is a special place

Biglizard1
06-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks Andy for everything that you have shown us!, I appreciate your candid attitude and the fact that your heart has always been in the right place with this crew is why I have and always will encourage you and your product. You are a BOTL and it means a great deal that I have been able to meet with you in person and chat online! This place we call home is a great place and I couldnt imagine most any time I sign on a computer that I dont check to see where my friends are!
Thanks for being one of those friends!

And hey, why do I never see these threads until I feel like the last kid to the prom???
eheheh

floydp
06-22-2009, 02:16 PM
:tpd:Great post, brother!

:tpd: Yeah really, sure wonder about that thought process. :r

Nice post Andy. Glad your here.

groogs
06-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Nice post Andy, it reminded me why this place is so special.

TomHagen
06-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Nice post, nice stick. I got one of Andy's in a bomb and really enjoyed it.

Mikhail
06-23-2009, 02:09 AM
Never stop dreaming, never stop fighting and all will be yours to keep!

Keep at it Andy.

TripleF
06-23-2009, 05:48 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Andy!!

I too agree, there's no place quite like this!! :)

Don Fernando
06-23-2009, 12:12 PM
I missed this topic completely. Andy, I don't see you as someone who pushes cigars, not at all. I see you as a friend, especially after meeting you in Vegas.

As for your feelings about CA and the group we have here, what more can I say that without CA I would probably never have visited the US. The friendships I have built on the Asylum were a reason for me to fly over and meet some of you in real life.

Waynegro1
06-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Great post, Andy!! Without vendors/retailers where would our hobby be?

thebiglebowski
06-24-2009, 12:31 PM
well said, Andy. even though i don't know you, i'm glad you're here.