PDA

View Full Version : The Great White Hunter?

14holestogie
04-26-2009, 05:06 PM
So, I live on the 14th hole of my local golf club which has a large water hazard bordering 2 holes. While a great place to collect balls, in the last year or so, the banks have begun caving in many different places. Muskrats are the cause, and I am (or thought I was) the solution. The first couple of times I saw them swimming out there, I took the only weapon I had which was a pellet gun. They are some tough skinned bastages and all they'd do was give me a WTF look after plunking them. So I wised up and borrowed the BIL .22. Managed to get a couple of the critters last year while they were cavorting on the ice just before it all melted. Problem solved for all of last year.

This year, I've seen another (and the guy who sets the tees in the morning says he's seen two). I've gotten one shot off at one of them from about 80 yards when he presented me with the tiny target of himself swimming and I haven't seen them since (except about an hour after the first shot after I'd replaced the gun with a ball retriever, at which time I'm sure the bastage just smirked at me). Alright, I'll be persistant and get the bastages sometime later this year (I hope).

So this morning, I noticed a couple holes in the lawn heading under the deck which I recognize as ground squirrel burrows (kind of a cross between a small rat, squirrel, mole, chipmunk). I've had success with them in the past with mouse and rat traps, so I set up a rat trap with some thistle seed. Check the traps and an hour later the seed is gone and the trap is not sprung. I assume the critter is either too small to trip the rat trap and just licked the damn seed off. I wised up and placed some peanut butter and thistle seed to the rat trap, and being the smart guy I am, also set a much smaller mouse trap with the same concoction. Bastages can't outsmart an intelligent guy like me.

Not an hour later, I check the rat trap and nothing, still set and waiting. I decide to scope out the mouse trap, and the sum***** is gone. I know it won't fit down the burrow hole, but I can't locate the damn thing anywhere.

So I've now got some muskrats that have no respect for my hunting abilities and one p.o.-ed ground squirrel I am sure is planning his vengeance.

I am so screwed. :D

G G
04-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Muskrats-groundsquirells 4

Tim 0

hahahahah

WildBlueSooner
04-26-2009, 05:20 PM
:r That story is hilarious! I have faith that you will eventually get revenge!

taltos
04-26-2009, 05:34 PM
So, I live on the 14th hole of my local golf club which has a large water hazard bordering 2 holes. While a great place to collect balls, in the last year or so, the banks have begun caving in many different places. Muskrats are the cause, and I am (or thought I was) the solution. The first couple of times I saw them swimming out there, I took the only weapon I had which was a pellet gun. They are some tough skinned bastages and all they'd do was give me a WTF look after plunking them. So I wised up and borrowed the BIL .22. Managed to get a couple of the critters last year while they were cavorting on the ice just before it all melted. Problem solved for all of last year.

This year, I've seen another (and the guy who sets the tees in the morning says he's seen two). I've gotten one shot off at one of them from about 80 yards when he presented me with the tiny target of himself swimming and I haven't seen them since (except about an hour after the first shot after I'd replaced the gun with a ball retriever, at which time I'm sure the bastage just smirked at me). Alright, I'll be persistant and get the bastages sometime later this year (I hope).

So this morning, I noticed a couple holes in the lawn heading under the deck which I recognize as ground squirrel burrows (kind of a cross between a small rat, squirrel, mole, chipmunk). I've had success with them in the past with mouse and rat traps, so I set up a rat trap with some thistle seed. Check the traps and an hour later the seed is gone and the trap is not sprung. I assume the critter is either too small to trip the rat trap and just licked the damn seed off. I wised up and placed some peanut butter and thistle seed to the rat trap, and being the smart guy I am, also set a much smaller mouse trap with the same concoction. Bastages can't outsmart an intelligent guy like me.

Not an hour later, I check the rat trap and nothing, still set and waiting. I decide to scope out the mouse trap, and the sum***** is gone. I know it won't fit down the burrow hole, but I can't locate the damn thing anywhere.

So I've now got some muskrats that have no respect for my hunting abilities and one p.o.-ed ground squirrel I am sure is planning his vengeance.

I am so screwed. :DReruns of Caddy Shack are playing in my mind.:r:r

14holestogie
04-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Reruns of Caddy Shack are playing in my mind.:r:r

It's playing live in my backyard! :D

Kwilkinson
04-26-2009, 05:50 PM
This cracked me up.

TripleF
04-26-2009, 06:23 PM
:r :r

Skywalker
04-26-2009, 07:17 PM

http://popwatch.ew.com/photos/uncategorized/144122__cs_l.jpg:r

DPD6030
04-26-2009, 07:58 PM
You got a cheap scope on the .22 Tim, if not it may improve your odds. :tu

lightning9191
04-26-2009, 07:59 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking.

14holestogie
04-27-2009, 04:41 AM
You got a cheap scope on the .22 Tim, if not it may improve your odds. :tu

It does have a scope and I was certain I hit the critter, but probably not a kill shot. Got a "skrat call" you could teach me? :D

dunng
04-27-2009, 05:58 AM
Got any dynamite? :D

RevSmoke
04-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Tim, you want to borrow Mocha for a week?

(for those who do not know, Mocha is our dog - and we live appr. 4 miles from Tim)

14holestogie
04-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Tim, you want to borrow Mocha for a week?

(for those who do not know, Mocha is our dog - and we live appr. 4 miles from Tim)

Is Mocha a mouser? I don't need a retriever. :D

DPD6030
04-27-2009, 08:57 AM
It does have a scope and I was certain I hit the critter, but probably not a kill shot. Got a "skrat call" you could teach me? :D

Here skrat skrat skrat, here skrat skrat skrat :D Maybe an upgrade to a .22 mag. would do the trick

14holestogie
04-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Here skrat skrat skrat, here skrat skrat skrat :D Maybe an upgrade to a .22 mag. would do the trick

I'll try that call. Not real confident, though. :D

.22 hollow points will do the trick, if the bastages ever show! :mad:

ahc4353
04-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Tim's theme song. http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2031/linknd8.gif (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKw8j7GLSdw&feature=related)

14holestogie
04-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Tim's theme song. http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2031/linknd8.gif (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKw8j7GLSdw&feature=related)

Thanks, Al. Now they got names.

That'll make it harder to end their whirling and twirling with my muzzle (NOT)!

:r:r:r

DPD6030
04-27-2009, 09:06 AM
I'll try that call. Not real confident, though. :D

.22 hollow points will do the trick, if the bastages ever show! :mad:

Headshots enough said!

ahc4353
04-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Headshots enough said!

You ASSUME he can shoot. :D

DPD6030
04-27-2009, 09:21 AM

Can't be too hard if the scope is properly sighted in...makes me wonder though :rolleyes:

Could always throw golf balls at them or chip them towards them. :r

14holestogie
04-27-2009, 10:47 AM

The last HUMAN to question my ability is no longer with us. Just sayin...... :D

The critters, however, may beg to differ. :r

RevSmoke
04-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Is Mocha a mouser? I don't need a retriever. :D

She is a shepherd/lab mix.

She catches and kills rabbits. She also chases squirrels, but they can run up a tree and so she doesn't get them.

As for your problem, just the presence of a dog that is loose can keep them away.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

14holestogie
04-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Who's laughing now? The mousetrap has been located with a critter still attached.

Muskrat, you feel lucky? Well, do ya? :D

AAlmeter
04-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Careful shooting over water

Steve
04-27-2009, 07:17 PM
First thing that crossed my mind!

Steve
04-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Ultimate varmint gun?
http://www.tucsonpictures.com/images/src/03E2D-00-5-16-06-003.jpg

HK3-
04-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Best way to catch a ground squirrel is like this-

Get a gallon milk jug and fill it with water. When you see that little POS run in his hole, turn that milk jug full of water upside down into the hole. That little turd will swim up and out to prevent from drowning himself. He will end up inside that jug when the water runs out. Then you can have your way with him. :)

As for the muskrats.... Get you some of them poison smoke bombs from the hardware store. Fire a few in their holes over on the bank. Lose the .22 and get a shotgun with some 7 1/2. When they come rolling out let the 12 gauge blaze!

Old Sailor
04-27-2009, 10:29 PM
22??? come on where the challenge in that...........go with a 50 cal!:r:r

kaisersozei
04-28-2009, 07:23 AM
I've conjured up an image of a foursome of guys, up on the 14th, just about to putt--and there's Tim in the bushes, camo-paint, zeroed in on a couple of these rats.... Combat golf! :r

04-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Not exactly the same, but the .50 cal suggestions made me think if this entertaining website my boss sent me a link to once.

Evidently prarie dogs are quite the plague carrying pests. Please note the link below is not for the faint of heart or animal rights type.

http://www.dogbegone.com

rizzle
04-28-2009, 08:09 AM

License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.

:D:D

ahc4353
04-28-2009, 08:14 AM
I love the fact that the muskrats are winning. :r

14holestogie
04-28-2009, 08:14 AM
I've conjured up an image of a foursome of guys, up on the 14th, just about to putt--and there's Tim in the bushes, camo-paint, zeroed in on a couple of these rats.... Combat golf! :r

It's almost gotten that bad. I've been checking the action on the pond out with binoculars from my bathroom window. :r

14holestogie
04-28-2009, 08:15 AM
I love the fact that the muskrats are winning. :r

I'd like to think we're tied...going into overtime. :D

14holestogie
07-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Three months into it and the bastage is taunting me. He (she?) only shows up when I'm golfing and just laughs at me. I did manage to pop it in the a$$ with a rock yesterday, just to let it know I still care. ;)

SchizoFilly
07-16-2009, 03:37 PM
My dad fought for almost two years with a ground squirrel once. He tried to flood it out, smoke it out, poison, and shooting. I think it finally died of old age though.

Good luck to you though Tim.

The Poet
07-16-2009, 04:11 PM
I'd suggest a slight upgrade - from .22 to .227. That should do it, especially on full auto.

:tu

BlackDog
07-16-2009, 04:19 PM
C'mon man. Haven't CA bomb's taught you anything? :D

http://darksideofrom.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/caddyshack02.jpg