Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Reviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #21
tzaddi
jardinero de la selva
 
tzaddi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: El Fanfarrón
Location: Alta California
Posts: 221
Trading: (3)
VR
tzaddi will become famous soon enoughtzaddi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

This past week while visiting my brother-in-law we had the chance to roast for the first time. He had ordered an i-Roaster 2 with 8-1 pound sample bags from Sweet Maria's that week. It was tasty great fun. When I departed Saturday he gifted me the roaster and the remaining 7 pounds of green beans. This morning I roasted a pound of Costa Rican that I am pleased with. So I guess that means I am in the Fraternity now
tzaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #22
novasurf
The Roastmaster General
 
novasurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 262
Trading: (2)
novasurf is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

Quote:
So I guess that means I am in the Fraternity now
novasurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #23
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI
 
Cigargal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,472
Trading: (25)
Partagas
Cigargal will become famous soon enoughCigargal will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzaddi View Post
This past week while visiting my brother-in-law we had the chance to roast for the first time. He had ordered an i-Roaster 2 with 8-1 pound sample bags from Sweet Maria's that week. It was tasty great fun. When I departed Saturday he gifted me the roaster and the remaining 7 pounds of green beans. This morning I roasted a pound of Costa Rican that I am pleased with. So I guess that means I am in the Fraternity now
you have arrived-you lucky sonofagun...nice brother!
Cigargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #24
Demented
Adjusting to the Life
 
Demented's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Anthony
Location: The 'burbs east of hell
Posts: 451
Trading: (2)
Demented is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

I-Roast two, since January '07.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:18 AM   #25
Vancouver_alex
Just in from the Storm
 
Vancouver_alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
First Name: alex
Location: vancouver
Posts: 44
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Vancouver_alex is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

i have been using a westbend poppery for 6 years roasting 1lb of coffee every week with what i consider to be a phenomenal roast profile... i bought it for 2.49 at a goodwill store, and hotwired it to do a cooling profile
Vancouver_alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #26
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_alex View Post
i have been using a westbend poppery for 6 years roasting 1lb of coffee every week with what i consider to be a phenomenal roast profile... i bought it for 2.49 at a goodwill store, and hotwired it to do a cooling profile
Nice to have you join us in the Fraternity of CA Homeroasters, Alex. I too used a WB and WBII Poppery for years with nothing but excellent results. They are sporty little machines for practically any bean.

Any plans to scale up?
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #27
Vancouver_alex
Just in from the Storm
 
Vancouver_alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
First Name: alex
Location: vancouver
Posts: 44
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Vancouver_alex is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Nice to have you join us in the Fraternity of CA Homeroasters, Alex. I too used a WB and WBII Poppery for years with nothing but excellent results. They are sporty little machines for practically any bean.

Any plans to scale up?
thanks!
i have the roast profile nailed on my little poppery so well that i really couldnt tell you the time i roast for, or the amount of beans with too much accuracy..... the blend that i am basically religious about is

60% brazil
25% sumatra
15% sidamo

this blend is killer with a cigar!!!!

i do have a monstrous commercial machine plumbed into my kitchen (due to an awesome and very tolerant wife).... a nuova simonelli mac digit that is on 24/7...i graduated over the years from

a delonghi(plastic POS)
saeco proteo barista
saeco barista (starbucks)
nuova simonelli beach (workhorse)
2nd nuova simonelli beach(still have it)
nuova simonelli mac digit

i have a number of friends who i have shared beans with who use iroast/hottop/alpenrost/poppery....and i prefer the ease, simplicity, and believe it or not, the quality of the roast from my $2 machine....i am always open to trying new things and i welcome any advice tips, experiences....as far as upgrades go, i was toying with the galloping gourmet/stir crazy for awhile, but really didnt want to spring for the convection oven part of it only to find out that the roast profile is subpar....i would want to actually see one in use, or taste the coffee from one before jumping in

i think that a sonofresco front of house style roaster might contribute torwards my next step into the abyss,should i find a bargain on one, as i havent found any difference so far from my poppery to the higher end consumer/prosumer machines

well, thats my long winded answer to your question (just finished a double espresso)

im very glad to meet up with some more like minded people here @ CA

Last edited by Vancouver_alex; 01-27-2009 at 12:42 PM. Reason: edited
Vancouver_alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #28
TheRealBonger
Still Watching My Back
 
TheRealBonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Eric
Location: Back in the STL
Posts: 67
Trading: (0)
TheRealBonger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

Been roasting for a very short time with a popcorn pumper. It has been fun trying new things and drinking some excellent coffee along the way.
TheRealBonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #29
FEAR
Just in from the Storm
 
FEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 18
Trading: (0)
FEAR is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

iroast2 since Jan.08
FEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #30
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealBonger View Post
Been roasting for a very short time with a popcorn pumper. It has been fun trying new things and drinking some excellent coffee along the way.
Good of you to join us us, Th'onger. Homeroasting is great hobby with the fringe benefit of having the worlds best coffee in your kitchen day in and day out. I hope you get a lot of pleasure from your efforts.
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #31
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEAR View Post
iroast2 since Jan.08
'bout time. Where you been? What's up for coffee this weekend?
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #32
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_alex View Post
thanks!
i have the roast profile nailed on my little poppery so well that i really couldnt tell you the time i roast for, or the amount of beans with too much accuracy..... the blend that i am basically religious about is

60% brazil
25% sumatra
15% sidamo

this blend is killer with a cigar!!!!

i do have a monstrous commercial machine plumbed into my kitchen (due to an awesome and very tolerant wife).... a nuova simonelli mac digit that is on 24/7...i graduated over the years from

a delonghi(plastic POS)
saeco proteo barista
saeco barista (starbucks)
nuova simonelli beach (workhorse)
2nd nuova simonelli beach(still have it)
nuova simonelli mac digit

i have a number of friends who i have shared beans with who use iroast/hottop/alpenrost/poppery....and i prefer the ease, simplicity, and believe it or not, the quality of the roast from my $2 machine....i am always open to trying new things and i welcome any advice tips, experiences....as far as upgrades go, i was toying with the galloping gourmet/stir crazy for awhile, but really didnt want to spring for the convection oven part of it only to find out that the roast profile is subpar....i would want to actually see one in use, or taste the coffee from one before jumping in

i think that a sonofresco front of house style roaster might contribute torwards my next step into the abyss,should i find a bargain on one, as i havent found any difference so far from my poppery to the higher end consumer/prosumer machines

well, thats my long winded answer to your question (just finished a double espresso)

im very glad to meet up with some more like minded people here @ CA
Jeez-o. I forgot the question.

Oh yeah! Have you considered an homemade SCCO as a pooper alternative? I agree it's hard to beat a pooper - particularly a WB(1) Poppery pooper - but sometimes volume and speed trumps that special fluid bed precision. After a couple of years I finally got all popped out with my poopers and assembled an SCCO with nary a look back. It make a pound in 14-minutes, pretty precise repeatable profiles.
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #33
King James
Regard Me!
 
King James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Jim
Location: Dark Side Of The Moon
Posts: 2,542
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

after a few month hiatus dusted off the sc/co last night and made some wonderful brazilian. mmmmmmmmm!
__________________
Mob Herfin' Since 2006
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #34
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
after a few month hiatus dusted off the sc/co last night and made some wonderful brazilian. mmmmmmmmm!
I gotta say I've been putting off roasting some Daterra for a long time but finally threw some on the barbie last weekend. It is drinking OH-SO sweet today. It is so damn balanced it almost seems like fake coffee - or maybe a blend. Phew. It's nice. REEEEEEL nice. Been in the press. Been in the turkish pot. Maybe try some espresso tomorrow.
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #35
King James
Regard Me!
 
King James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Jim
Location: Dark Side Of The Moon
Posts: 2,542
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
I gotta say I've been putting off roasting some Daterra for a long time but finally threw some on the barbie last weekend. It is drinking OH-SO sweet today. It is so damn balanced it almost seems like fake coffee - or maybe a blend. Phew. It's nice. REEEEEEL nice. Been in the press. Been in the turkish pot. Maybe try some espresso tomorrow.
Good luck!

I think you will be okay though
__________________
Mob Herfin' Since 2006
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #36
Killjoy
Still Watching My Back
 
Killjoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 233
Trading: (0)
Killjoy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

I really gotta look into this, it sounds really cool. anyone have any good online resources for how to make or buy a roaster, and where can you get fresh beans?
__________________
Killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #37
drob
Superbowl XLIV Champs!
 
drob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Here
Posts: 245
Trading: (8)
AirForce (Retired)
drob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

Started with a WB popper about a year ago, then got a killer deal on a FR8.
I still use them both for finding rough starting points, or when the weather does not permit me to use the MooBBQ. Thought about the SCCO, but the MooBBQ was much simpler to build.
drob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #38
drob
Superbowl XLIV Champs!
 
drob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Here
Posts: 245
Trading: (8)
AirForce (Retired)
drob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
I really gotta look into this, it sounds really cool. anyone have any good online resources for how to make or buy a roaster, and where can you get fresh beans?
Go hither, young man!

http://www.sweetmarias.com/
drob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #39
Curly Cut
Not Scary
 
Curly Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 654
Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

I was gifted a long while back (maybe 4 yrs ago) a FR8, which i never used until last summer. found out mine was faulty, then someone else gave me theirs that they weren't using.
I have now been roasting very infrequently, but am picking it up quickly, since late October. I'm the only one in the house (other than my son) that drinks coffee, but at work is where i drink the most, with a couple co-workers.
I need to upgrade from a drip pot to a press-pot (still).
__________________
To be 2nd guessed, You have to be the 1st guesser.
Curly Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #40
Vancouver_alex
Just in from the Storm
 
Vancouver_alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
First Name: alex
Location: vancouver
Posts: 44
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Vancouver_alex is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The CA Fraternity of HomeRoasters (we dunnit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Jeez-o. I forgot the question.

Oh yeah! Have you considered an homemade SCCO as a pooper alternative? I agree it's hard to beat a pooper - particularly a WB(1) Poppery pooper - but sometimes volume and speed trumps that special fluid bed precision. After a couple of years I finally got all popped out with my poopers and assembled an SCCO with nary a look back. It make a pound in 14-minutes, pretty precise repeatable profiles.

nice....i used old techspeak in my post for scco, they were originally referred to as stir crazy/galloping gourmet or scgg...i see they have become more popular since the original which was named after a co called a galloping gourmet readily available @ value village for 20 bucks.....i guess the combo has stood the test of time

i found an sc about 2 years ago...any recommendations on the co?
Vancouver_alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.