Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2008, 01:14 AM   #41
tzaddi
jardinero de la selva
 
tzaddi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: El Fanfarrón
Location: Alta California
Posts: 221
Trading: (3)
VR
tzaddi will become famous soon enoughtzaddi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

This Just In!!
Mokapot Goes Main Stream


The latest Target television commercial features a Bialetti Brikka "espresso maker".



It is now official… from now on all mokapot post must feature this logo.


Last edited by tzaddi; 10-24-2008 at 01:26 AM.
tzaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:11 AM   #42
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
I've never used the Brikka, but IMHO, no its not worth the extra $30. If you follow the excellent instructions Moo provided above you wont need a brikka.
I never layed hands on one but reliable slackers who frequent this forum claim it makes excellent coffee + crema with no personal investment in skill, style or grace. Sounds like it just... works.

Still... what's the point?
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #43
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemonkey View Post
Why shouldn't you clean with soap? If not soap, what then?
I don't really know how important the "no soap" admonition really is. That could be more conventional wisdom which is just silly, like the "never let french press coffee sit or it'll go bitter" (it doesn't).

The chatter sez that there is some kind of metallic flavor with new aluminum pots that goes away after you use them for a while (and don't soap them clean). Theory is that coffee oils lingering in the upper pot seal the aluminum and protect coffee flavor. Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. (shrug-shrug)



As for me, I rinse lower, filter and upper with hot water after use. If I can see any grunge hanging on after a hot rinse I'll wipe them "clean" with a paper towel. Oils remain? Sure.

If the upper pot or filter start to look grungy (not too often) or smell anything except good (not too often) then I wash the whole shooting match with hot water, soap and a soft dishcloth or sponge (nothing that would scratch or scour the metal finish). Oils remain? No, except inside the centerpost. Taste suddenly suffers? I think not.

Your sense of taste may say otherwise.
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:10 AM   #44
md4958
Captain Cannoli
 
md4958's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Moe
Location: Suffield, CT
Posts: 5,712
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzaddi View Post
This Just In!!
Mokapot Goes Main Stream
.
Thats a great price on the Brikka!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
I don't really know how important the "no soap" admonition really is. That could be more conventional wisdom which is just silly, like the "never let french press coffee sit or it'll go bitter" (it doesn't).

The chatter sez that there is some kind of metallic flavor with new aluminum pots that goes away after you use them for a while (and don't soap them clean). Theory is that coffee oils lingering in the upper pot seal the aluminum and protect coffee flavor. Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. (shrug-shrug)


As for me, I rinse lower, filter and upper with hot water after use. If I can see any grunge hanging on after a hot rinse I'll wipe them "clean" with a paper towel. Oils remain? Sure.

If the upper pot or filter start to look grungy (not too often) or smell anything except good (not too often) then I wash the whole shooting match with hot water, soap and a soft dishcloth or sponge (nothing that would scratch or scour the metal finish). Oils remain? No, except inside the centerpost. Taste suddenly suffers? I think not.

Your sense of taste may say otherwise.
Dish soap MAY affect the taste because it leaves a residue and cuts the oils (basically it does what its supposed to do). At my shops we NEVER use dish soap on any of our coffee pots, or porta-filters. We use a coffee soap called PuroCaffe wich will not leave any residue and gets all the build up off with little or no scrubbing. We always re-season the portafilters by pulling a couple shots of espresso on each group first.

The moka pots do need seasoning... the more you use it the better it tastes (like a cast-iron skillet). I usually tell my customers buying mokas that they should brew and toss the first two or three pots of coffee.

That being said, my mother has used dish soap on her moka for years and years with no second thought. As Moo stated above dont use any abrasive cleansers (SOS, Softscrub, etc) on your mokapot.

You shouldnt put them in the dishwasher however.
__________________


"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #45
chris45set
Millie found a BIG stick
 
chris45set's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In My Life
Posts: 21
Trading: (2)
chris45set is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

OK, the cigars weren't enough of an obsession / drain on the budget.
Last night I bought the Moka pot pictured above from Target (it is NOT a Brikka, but a 6 cup Moka).
Just brewed the first pot with whatever beans we have in the kitchen, using a whirly-blade grinder (it's the only one I currently have, taking baby steps here).
Sipping on it now, and while I understand this is the first batch out of a new device, it's very interesting to note the difference between the Moka coffee and the coffee from the Capresso brewer I usually drink (same beans, same grinder).
This brew is better than anything I managed to get out of the French Press I had years ago, this could get very interesting.
There is some underlying bitterness, but there is also a whole new palette of flavors at work here.
I do have one question, I pulled the pot off of the heat as soon as the flow of coffee changed from liquid to foam, as I didn't want to overcook it. Should I have left it for a bit longer, to let it develop its own "spume"?
It is still too hot to open to see how much water is left in the "little tank".
The top section filled to within less than an inch of the top, so I know I was getting close.
I also tried to not over apply the heat, started with the electric stove burner on Med, and dialed down just slightly when the coffee began to flow.
I know I am asking a pile of questions, but I am still new to this process.
Thanks for indulging my ignorance, and I look forward to what this little beastie can produce once it "cures".

Chris
__________________
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.
chris45set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #46
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris45set View Post
OK, the cigars weren't enough of an obsession / drain on the budget.
Last night I bought the Moka pot pictured above from Target (it is NOT a Brikka, but a 6 cup Moka).
Just brewed the first pot with whatever beans we have in the kitchen, using a whirly-blade grinder (it's the only one I currently have, taking baby steps here).
Sipping on it now, and while I understand this is the first batch out of a new device, it's very interesting to note the difference between the Moka coffee and the coffee from the Capresso brewer I usually drink (same beans, same grinder).
This brew is better than anything I managed to get out of the French Press I had years ago, this could get very interesting.
There is some underlying bitterness, but there is also a whole new palette of flavors at work here.
I do have one question, I pulled the pot off of the heat as soon as the flow of coffee changed from liquid to foam, as I didn't want to overcook it. Should I have left it for a bit longer, to let it develop its own "spume"?
It is still too hot to open to see how much water is left in the "little tank".
The top section filled to within less than an inch of the top, so I know I was getting close.
I also tried to not over apply the heat, started with the electric stove burner on Med, and dialed down just slightly when the coffee began to flow.
I know I am asking a pile of questions, but I am still new to this process.
Thanks for indulging my ignorance, and I look forward to what this little beastie can produce once it "cures".

Chris
Post #1, item #2 clearly states:

"Requirements:
a mokapot - smaller ones (1-3 cup) are the way to go. The big ones seem like a good idea but they are not. A one-cupper is very cool; two-cupper most useful; three-cupper for one hophead ex-crack addict or, perhaps, a normal married couple couple."


Six cuppers present their own special challenges, the least of which is, "Where will all the coffee come from and who is going to drink all that moka?" They're a bit harder to pack correctly because of the volume. If you're already happy given the that you're using a whirleyblade then you are going to be downright orgasmic when you get some med-fine burr-ground stuff in that brewer.

As far as heat and brewing, you'll have a hard time gauging the brew from a large pot with a whirleyblade. When you get some burr-ground just try to keep the brew moving slowly and steady according to heat on/heat off - aim for about 45-seconds to brew the pot from first drool to the moment brew starts to run clear.

I hope you get a lot of pleasure from the new mokapot.
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:41 AM   #47
TRicker
Temporarily Banned
2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: El Oso Enojado
Location: A glass case of emotion
Posts: 496
Trading: (17)
HUpmann
TRicker will become famous soon enoughTRicker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

New update:

As I sit here chomping my steel cut oats (thanks for that again Moo) I am sipping sweet Moka from my new 2 cup mokapot (Moe has reached god-like status to me now). I got a beautiful batch this morning. No burned smell or taste,check. Crema,check. The perfect amount for me to drink by myself,check(my old pot was a 6 cupper and now I think I will live longer now that I am not drinking the whole pot myself). This cigar forum is so awesome because now I have cigars, moka and steel cut oats. And my new espresso machine is set to arrive today. We will see what the day holds!! Thanks again guys
TRicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #48
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRicker View Post
New update:

As I sit here chomping my steel cut oats (thanks for that again Moo) I am sipping sweet Moka from my new 2 cup mokapot (Moe has reached god-like status to me now). I got a beautiful batch this morning. No burned smell or taste,check. Crema,check. The perfect amount for me to drink by myself,check(my old pot was a 6 cupper and now I think I will live longer now that I am not drinking the whole pot myself). This cigar forum is so awesome because now I have cigars, moka and steel cut oats. And my new espresso machine is set to arrive today. We will see what the day holds!! Thanks again guys
We will cover crispy, thick bacon in another thread.
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #49
md4958
Captain Cannoli
 
md4958's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Moe
Location: Suffield, CT
Posts: 5,712
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
We will cover crispy, thick bacon in another thread.
mmmm.... Bacon

__________________


"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #50
TRicker
Temporarily Banned
2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: El Oso Enojado
Location: A glass case of emotion
Posts: 496
Trading: (17)
HUpmann
TRicker will become famous soon enoughTRicker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
mmmm.... Bacon

haha was just about to post that but you beat me too it.
TRicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #51
TOB9595
Managing the UnManageable
 
TOB9595's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tom
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 452
Trading: (12)
TOB9595 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

This is a wonderful tool in the coffee arsenal.
For those who are JUST READING...
This is so VERY EASY.
Reading all this stuff seems to make it difficult or that you need to FOCUS on this while heating.

Just low heat and a watchful eye.
Fill the basket full
Grind the coffee fine

Enjoy the 3 ounce results

I do.
Today was an espresso with sugar and cream. heated the cream to warm not hot.
Smokin a PERDOMO RESERVE CABINET SERIES
Wonderful combo.

Course I follow it up with Aricha 27 coffee press..16 ounces of goodness
Tom
TOB9595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #52
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOB9595 View Post
Reading all this stuff seems to make it difficult...
Just low heat and a watchful eye.
Fill the basket full
Grind the coffee fine

Enjoy the 3 ounce results
No! Not! Never! It takes a LOT of words and a LOT of reading and a lot of physical conditioning and expert coaches and it is VERY, VERY difficult even on an indoor rink with perfect wind conditions. Ignore what this man says. I guess he doesn't know squat about ice hocke... Huh... coffee? My bad. Nothing to it, especially if you're a Brikka-sissy (which I don't believe Tom is).
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #53
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRicker View Post
...I am sipping sweet Moka from my new 2 cup mokapot... The perfect amount for me to drink by myself,check(my old pot was a 6 cupper and now I think I will live longer...
Here, above, it is explained why big mokapots are not for most people. The little whippers make plenty enough coffee for most moka drinkers. The big pots are for crowds and, by and large, it's still hard to find a crowd of moka drinkers in most of our houses.

If I ever drank a six-cup pot of moka they would find my remains orbiting Jupiter. GermantownRob, contrary to laws of normal human physiology, can drink enough moka to kill a horse and then enjoy a cigar. Except for Icelandic fishermen, Rob is the only exception I know to the "small pot saves lives" rule.
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."

Last edited by Mister Moo; 11-07-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #54
DavenportESQ
Vaya Con Dios
 
DavenportESQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: David
Location: Chicago
Posts: 787
Trading: (15)
ERdM
DavenportESQ has disabled reputation
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Do you have to use expresso, or can you use any coffee?
__________________
I was gambling in Havana I took a little risk Send lawyers, guns and money
DavenportESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:46 AM   #55
muziq
Local Artard
 
muziq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Here and there...no, there...
Posts: 212
Trading: (4)
ERdM Army (Served With Honor)
muziq is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ View Post
Do you have to use expresso, or can you use any coffee?
Any coffee, just make sure the grind is right. It's part of the fun to experiment with not only different roasts, but mixes of roasts and beans of different origin. The difference in flavors can be striking, just the right kind of variety to keep you coming back year after year.
__________________
muziq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #56
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziq View Post
Any coffee...
I find moka made from espresso blends less satisfying than moka made from a single origin bean or the typical drip-brewing blends. Can't say why that might be. I pretty much avoid espresso blends with the mokapot. Could just be me. Try it all!
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #57
DavenportESQ
Vaya Con Dios
 
DavenportESQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: David
Location: Chicago
Posts: 787
Trading: (15)
ERdM
DavenportESQ has disabled reputation
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

hmm...I was under the impression that you had to use expresso so thats all I have been using. I will have to go try out some new stuff, I love this thing!
__________________
I was gambling in Havana I took a little risk Send lawyers, guns and money
DavenportESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #58
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ View Post
hmm...I was under the impression that you had to use expresso so thats all I have been using. I will have to go try out some new stuff, I love this thing!
Like Muziq said, any coffee works as long as it is ground fine enough and, of course, the fresher the roast the better.

Good espresso blends reward the brewer after a 9-bar+ extraction. The lower pressure mokapot leave espresso blends a little bite-ie, IMO. What passes for "the utterly stunning complexity of vanilla-scented 17-year old Madagascar arabica" under 9-bar of pressure might finish from a mokapot as, "just a little too bitey for me, thanks." Not to say you won't like moka made from espresso blends but you might like some single origin beans or conventional drip blends even more.

Lotsa kinds of coffee out there, each with its' own bright spot. Don't limit yourself. I don't ever recall saying this-or-that kind of coffee made moka I couldn't drink... it ALL drinks pretty good if it's fresh.
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 AM   #59
muziq
Local Artard
 
muziq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Here and there...no, there...
Posts: 212
Trading: (4)
ERdM Army (Served With Honor)
muziq is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Good espresso blends reward the brewer after a 9-bar+ extraction. The lower pressure mokapot leave espresso blends a little bite-ie, IMO. What passes for "the utterly stunning complexity of vanilla-scented 17-year old Madagascar arabica" under 9-bar of pressure might finish from a mokapot as, "just a little too bitey for me, thanks." Not to say you won't like moka made from espresso blends but you might like some single origin beans or conventional drip blends even more.

Lotsa kinds of coffee out there, each with its' own bright spot. Don't limit yourself. I don't ever recall saying this-or-that kind of coffee made moka I couldn't drink... it ALL drinks pretty good if it's fresh.
Sound advice. I've learned that for my Mukka/Mokapot brewing, I tend to like single bean in medium and dark roasts: South and Central Americans I'll do at either roast, but for the African beans I don't enjoy the dark quite as much (with a very few exceptions). When it comes to experimenting with my own blends, which I've been doing a lot lately thanks to a gracious and patient local roster, I'm now trying out mixing not only origins but roasts as well. It's great fun going through the combinations and finding unexpected flavors in your coffee every week or so.

For my french press, I make other choices. But that's another thread.

Will someone now please direct me to the crispy, thick bacon thread?
__________________
muziq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:44 AM   #60
DavenportESQ
Vaya Con Dios
 
DavenportESQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: David
Location: Chicago
Posts: 787
Trading: (15)
ERdM
DavenportESQ has disabled reputation
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Great advice guys thanks! Everything and more that I needed to know
__________________
I was gambling in Havana I took a little risk Send lawyers, guns and money
DavenportESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.