Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Pipe Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #61
ucla695
Neither here, nor there
 
ucla695's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Pool
Posts: 3,696
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

I’m ready to step into the world of pipes, but I primarily smoke outdoors (wife’s decree ). Is this a problem or can pipes be smoked outdoors too?
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #62
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010
 
DrDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tim
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,165
Trading: (33)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

I'm not an old fart, but I smoke outside almost exclusively as well, no problems for me
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #63
ucla695
Neither here, nor there
 
ucla695's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Pool
Posts: 3,696
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Phew. I’m glad to hear this. Thanks!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #64
Benwoo
Ray of F'n Sunshine
 
Benwoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Chris
Location: Belmont
Posts: 222
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Benwoo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

I smoked mine at the beach last weekend in a light breeze. it can be done!
Benwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #65
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
Phew. I’m glad to hear this. Thanks!
"Phew" sort of. Let me add some elements of alarm. Unlike Frick and Frack stumbling on the beaches with their pipes and cognacs, I am an actual Old Fart who is here to pop your bubbles..

You can drop a cigar on the driveway and probably not miss a beat; drop a fine briar or meerschaum pipe outside and you might get sick.

A pipe does require a certain amount of hardware in hand. Face it - most of us carry purses that we cleverly call manbags or camera cases. There are pouches of tobacco to consider (optional, once a pipe is filled and ready to go for a walk); a pipe tool/tamper; and the odd pipe cleaner in case you get to gurgling. And, of course, matches or a lighter.

It is said new briar pipe should never be smoked where a breeze is present. A slight breeze across a bowl can damage the pipe until it is well broken in (i.e., has a carbon-cake developed inside the bowl). I wouldn't be worried about a cob or a meer in that respect.
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #66
Root
Making Igloos
 
Root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
First Name: James
Location: con-SIN
Posts: 20
Trading: (0)
Root is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

How many flavor withdraws of SH 20Anny does it take to get to the bottom of a bowl, given that the bowl is 7/8" x 1.75" ?

Pray, I hope you can tell me...

Last edited by Root; 01-08-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #67
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root View Post
How many puffs of SH 20Anny does it take to get to the bottom of a bowl, given that the bowl is 7/8" x 1.75" ?

Pray, I hope you can tell me...
Possibly the most ridiculous first post in the history of the entire "Ask An Old Fart" thread. This question is SOoooooooooooooooo dumb that it proves you have never smoked a pipe in your life. Root-Schmoot. You're a troll. Troll! Troll!

(Listen up, you pesky Boswell-sniffer. I think I know who you are. I am hanging here by a thread, practically all by myself, trying to pass off my phony old-fart status as wisdom and get pipe-newguys off on the right foot. If you're not really a troll I hope you'll hang around here and help out. Normally I would only hang around the coffee forum but it is ruled by thugs who like Maxwell House and Starbux. I thought I'd see how much damage I could do here, instead.)
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #68
BigFrank
5 3 1
 
BigFrank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
First Name: Frank
Location: Gym or Sofa.
Posts: 1,896
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
Iím ready to step into the world of pipes, but I primarily smoke outdoors (wifeís decree ). Is this a problem or can pipes be smoked outdoors too?
I'm still a newbie, but I think I can offer some advise on this. I am in a similar situation. Not allowed to smoke inside. Unless the Wife is gone and I have candles onhand.

Anyways, some aromatic tobacco, and some non aromatic have a very good "room note" I think that is what its called anyway. Its when the 2nd hand smoke from the pipe actually smells pleasent. Some baccys that I smoke oddly enough I am allowed to smoke inside. When the Wife sees me inside with the pipe I always get the " That better not be that stinky smelling pipe ".
BigFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #69
ucla695
Neither here, nor there
 
ucla695's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Pool
Posts: 3,696
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Thanks for the replies. I smoke the majority of my cigars out back and was thinking about doing the same with a pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
It is said new briar pipe should never be smoked where a breeze is present. A slight breeze across a bowl can damage the pipe until it is well broken in (i.e., has a carbon-cake developed inside the bowl). I wouldn't be worried about a cob or a meer in that respect.
This is what I was worried about, so I plan on buying a cob pipe first to see if it's for me and then I'll take it from there. My dad used to smoke pipes some 30 years ago, so I might also try one of his meers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
Anyways, some aromatic tobacco, and some non aromatic have a very good "room note" I think that is what its called anyway. Its when the 2nd hand smoke from the pipe actually smells pleasent. Some baccys that I smoke oddly enough I am allowed to smoke inside. When the Wife sees me inside with the pipe I always get the " That better not be that stinky smelling pipe ".
That's an interesting angle on smoking inside. I'll have to suggest it. Do you always smoke in the same spot when you smoke inside? The reason I ask is I'm wondering about any discoloration on the ceiling from the smoke.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #70
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
This is what I was worried about, so I plan on buying a cob pipe first to see if it's for me and then I'll take it from there. My dad used to smoke pipes some 30 years ago, so I might also try one of his meers.
Forget any negative impressions you may have held about corncob pipes. Find one that has a more/less airtight stem and you'll have a fine smoker (after the wood stem sticking into the chamber chars a bit - 3-4 bowlsful). Missouri Meerschaum (MM) makes all the old reliable standard stuff; I favor the MM Great Dane for its' large capacity and longer smoke. Most of the others in the MM line have smaller bowls and offer a 20-30 minute smoke.

Depending on who-knows-what any cob can last for weeks, months or years. If you get one and never actually smoke it, the pipe could last indefinitely.
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #71
Root
Making Igloos
 
Root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
First Name: James
Location: con-SIN
Posts: 20
Trading: (0)
Root is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Possibly the most ridiculous first post in the history of the entire "Ask An Old Fart" thread. This question is SOoooooooooooooooo dumb that it proves you have never smoked a pipe in your life. Root-Schmoot. You're a troll. Troll! Troll!

(Listen up, you pesky Boswell-sniffer. I think I know who you are. I am hanging here by a thread, practically all by myself, trying to pass off my phony old-fart status as wisdom and get pipe-newguys off on the right foot. If you're not really a troll I hope you'll hang around here and help out. Normally I would only hang around the coffee forum but it is ruled by thugs who like Maxwell House and Starbux. I thought I'd see how much damage I could do here, instead.)
Hey i may look the part of an Ogre but never a troll. And for the answer, it was a test, for the old fart should know the correct response would be "Never enough".
That said, I stand to service with you though I do pack my pipe.
Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #72
darb85
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Brad
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 364
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
darb85 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root View Post
Hey i may look the part of an Ogre but never a troll. And for the answer, it was a test, for the old fart should know the correct response would be "Never enough".
That said, I stand to service with you though I do pack my pipe.
Ill pack your pipe...
darb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #73
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!
 
Slow Triathlete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
First Name: Scott
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 362
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
Do Cob Pipes suffer from ghosting?

In my experience they don't to a point. If you smoke something that has a distinct, strong taste or aroma, such as Gawith's 1792 flake, it will begin to ghost after a few pipefuls. However, it will go away faster in a cob than in a briar.

Old Fart Out
Slow Triathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #74
ucla695
Neither here, nor there
 
ucla695's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Pool
Posts: 3,696
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Forget any negative impressions you may have held about corncob pipes. Find one that has a more/less airtight stem and you'll have a fine smoker (after the wood stem sticking into the chamber chars a bit - 3-4 bowlsful). Missouri Meerschaum (MM) makes all the old reliable standard stuff; I favor the MM Great Dane for its' large capacity and longer smoke. Most of the others in the MM line have smaller bowls and offer a 20-30 minute smoke.

Depending on who-knows-what any cob can last for weeks, months or years. If you get one and never actually smoke it, the pipe could last indefinitely.
Great advice. Much appreciated!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #75
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root View Post
...the old fart should know the correct response would be "Never enough".
With you having blown the lid off this 20th Anni thing I will admit I don't mention it much for fear many more people will read the thread, order the tobak and tell everyone else about it. Then the price goes up and the supply goes down and I am screwed.

So much for THAT big secret.

Great to have you here, Rootie-toot.
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #76
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

So, can we make an official list of contributing Old Farts. Old Fart as defined in post #1:

Terms of Service: to ask you have to have a serious question; to reply you must have a minimum two years pipe smoking experience. (No snob zone.) There are no stupid questions. Nobody can beat someone with a "Use the search funtion" lead pipe. There will be no rude replies no matter how many times your question has been asked - nosir, not in THIS thread. Maybe a little tiny bit of sarcasm though, just to keep it interesting.

Mister Moo (Dan)
Root
Slow Triathlete
Sr Mike
DubInTheDam
Neuromancer
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."

Last edited by Mister Moo; 01-09-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #77
BigFrank
5 3 1
 
BigFrank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
First Name: Frank
Location: Gym or Sofa.
Posts: 1,896
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
That's an interesting angle on smoking inside. I'll have to suggest it. Do you always smoke in the same spot when you smoke inside? The reason I ask is I'm wondering about any discoloration on the ceiling from the smoke.
When I smoke outside I either watch my son play outside, but now it is too cold so I either sit on the steps or take a little stroll...

I usually smoke on the sofa or at my pc desk. Ceiling looks fine.
BigFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #78
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!
 
Slow Triathlete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
First Name: Scott
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 362
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
So, can we make an official list of contributing Old Farts. Old Fart as defined in post #1:

Terms of Service: to ask you have to have a serious question; to reply you must have a minimum two years pipe smoking experience. (No snob zone.) There are no stupid questions. Nobody can beat someone with a "Use the search funtion" lead pipe. There will be no rude replies no matter how many times your question has been asked - nosir, not in THIS thread. Maybe a little tiny bit of sarcasm though, just to keep it interesting.

Mister Moo (Dan)
Root
Slow Triathlete
Sr Mike
DubInTheDam
Neuromancer

Who you calling an Old Fart?!?!
Slow Triathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #79
Root
Making Igloos
 
Root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
First Name: James
Location: con-SIN
Posts: 20
Trading: (0)
Root is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
With you having blown the lid off this 20th Anni thing I will admit I don't mention it much for fear many more people will read the thread, order the tobak and tell everyone else about it. Then the price goes up and the supply goes down and I am screwed.

So much for THAT big secret.

Great to have you here, Rootie-toot.

Ahh never fear, think it through. It has latakia, 50+% gone right there. You can get it only 1 place + some shows, another big % down. Sells only in one big ass can, % down for fear of unknown in large amounts. Costs some bills compared to others, last % down to you, me and 5 other guys who know what's to know about it. And I must remark SH 20anny ain't for everybody cause it tastes like p00.

I come to help.

Burleys love Cobs.
Cobs do ghost as any pipe that is porous, its just that some ghosts like Kasper are friendly while others don't play well with others.
Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #80
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious
 
Mister Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dan
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
Posts: 1,417
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root View Post
And I must remark SH 20anny ain't for everybody cause it tastes like p00.

I come to help.
Spot on. Tastes like poo.
__________________
"I hope you had the time of your life."
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.