Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #41
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!
 
Blak Smyth's Avatar
2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
First Name: SD
Location: THE WOOD
Posts: 8,486
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things



__________________
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #42
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?
 
Starscream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Andy
Location: In a little town somewhere in the USA
Posts: 10,226
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnake View Post
Blasphemy. The only cool thing about the prequels is Darth Maul. That is it.
I must be the only Star Wars fan in the world who thinks that Darth Maul sucked. Yes, he looked badass, but I didn't see anything else that appealed to me. I'd take Count Dooku over Maul any day of the week. For Christ's sake, Dooku was the second best Dracula EVER. Not to mention his arch-nemesis was Governor Tarkin (Van Helsing).

Hammer film veterans FTW?
__________________

In Cam we trust.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #43
T.G
Mmmm Stogies....
 
T.G's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: The Other Adam
Posts: 14,224
Trading: (35)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qWoT...layer_embedded

Never really cared, but Han DID shoot first in the original.
Si Senior.

I have the first three movies (by release order, so IV, V and VI) in their original CLV Dolby Digital Surround Laser Disc form - these are the _exact_ same as what we saw in the theaters the first time around. By the time the 5.1 AC-3 CAV box set version came out, Lucas had already started tweaking them.

Some of the additional footage he added was nice. Useless, but nice. Except for that Greedo shoots first part.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #44
GTsetGO
those were the droids
 
GTsetGO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
First Name: Rob
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 1,686
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

Alderaan shot first


__________________
Modded Mustangs
GTsetGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #45
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?
 
Starscream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Andy
Location: In a little town somewhere in the USA
Posts: 10,226
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Si Senior.

I have the first three movies (by release order, so IV, V and VI) in their original CLV Dolby Digital Surround Laser Disc form - these are the _exact_ same as what we saw in the theaters the first time around. By the time the 5.1 AC-3 CAV box set version came out, Lucas had already started tweaking them.

Some of the additional footage he added was nice. Useless, but nice. Except for that Greedo shoots first part.
I agree with you almost 100%, but I assume the laserdisc has Episode IV: A New Hope in the crawl screen. It wasn't in the original release in 1977. But I'm arguing semantics here. I know what you're saying.
__________________

In Cam we trust.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #46
T.G
Mmmm Stogies....
 
T.G's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: The Other Adam
Posts: 14,224
Trading: (35)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I agree with you almost 100%, but I assume the laserdisc has Episode IV: A New Hope in the crawl screen. It wasn't in the original release in 1977. But I'm arguing semantics here. I know what you're saying.

You just out geeked me, Andy. I'm going to have to check, let me get back to you on that.

IIRC, Star Wars was pressed to LD before Empire was released to the theaters, so I'm not sure there would be any changes, including the crawl screens.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #47
Jbailey
Brewcifer
 
Jbailey's Avatar
3
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dave
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 5,113
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

I loved Revenge of the Jedi.
__________________
"Sent to spy on a Cuban talent show first stop- Havana au go-go."
Field Marshall Douche Bag.
Jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #48
Skywalker
BABOTL
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dice
Location: Galaxy Far Far Away
Posts: 10,126
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

Top Ten Movie Trilogies

http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/top-1...lideshow-2684/
__________________

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #49
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?
 
Starscream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Andy
Location: In a little town somewhere in the USA
Posts: 10,226
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbailey View Post
I loved Revenge of the Jedi.
I liked Blue Harvest better.
__________________

In Cam we trust.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #50
T.G
Mmmm Stogies....
 
T.G's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: The Other Adam
Posts: 14,224
Trading: (35)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I agree with you almost 100%, but I assume the laserdisc has Episode IV: A New Hope in the crawl screen. It wasn't in the original release in 1977. But I'm arguing semantics here. I know what you're saying.
You just out geeked me, Andy. I'm going to have to check, let me get back to you on that.

IIRC, Star Wars was pressed to LD before Empire was released to the theaters, so I'm not sure there would be any changes, including the crawl screens.
A little research earlier today and I just learned more about Star Wars releases than I ever wanted, or cared, to know....

So it appears that my LD has the episode title, since it's the widescreen version from the mid 80's and not the original pan & scan. Other than that, it's supposedly the same as the original theatrical release.

Seems like there were also about 20 something different release versions of Star Wars on LD (I had no idea, I thought it was like 5 or 6 total between NTSC and PAL), not counting the CAV remastered trilogy box set which, for LDs, marked the first installment of any additional footage.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #51
Ratters
Have My Own Room
 
Ratters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,848
Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

Here's pictures from our herf trip to Obiwan Ranch a couple years ago. The largest "private" collection of Star Wars memorabilia.

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...rs%20Petaluma/

Here's our own Skywalker:
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #52
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?
 
Starscream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Andy
Location: In a little town somewhere in the USA
Posts: 10,226
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
A little research earlier today and I just learned more about Star Wars releases than I ever wanted, or cared, to know....

So it appears that my LD has the episode title, since it's the widescreen version from the mid 80's and not the original pan & scan. Other than that, it's supposedly the same as the original theatrical release.

Seems like there were also about 20 something different release versions of Star Wars on LD (I had no idea, I thought it was like 5 or 6 total between NTSC and PAL), not counting the CAV remastered trilogy box set which, for LDs, marked the first installment of any additional footage.
I'm not advocating the changes Lucas has made since 1997 to his original films (I don't like the new changes at all), but that's proof that he's been making adjustments since the first film was released. No one seemed to care about the adjustments until he started using CGI.
__________________

In Cam we trust.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #53
T.G
Mmmm Stogies....
 
T.G's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: The Other Adam
Posts: 14,224
Trading: (35)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I'm not advocating the changes Lucas has made since 1997 to his original films (I don't like the new changes at all), but that's proof that he's been making adjustments since the first film was released. No one seemed to care about the adjustments until he started using CGI.

Aside from the adding of the episode number, I don't think anything else was changed. "Release Versions" defined the pressing run, not necessarily a change in the movie (LDs are kind of weird in some of their nomenclature). Exempting the first release version, I think all the pre-box set releases are the same content, what changed was the jackets, P&S vs WS, NTSC/PAL and the fab that made the disc. Different fabs might have used different parameters in the transfer, so things might be lighter or darker but that's about it. It's not like DVDs where they make a gazillion all at once, the runs for LDs were typically much, much smaller numbers, that's why there were so many.

Not sure when they cleaned up the audio, that might have been in the later releases. Also not sure offhand when they went from DD to AC-3, not sure if that happened any time before the box set.

Last edited by T.G; 02-16-2012 at 11:56 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #54
Skywalker
BABOTL
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Dice
Location: Galaxy Far Far Away
Posts: 10,126
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

How much would the Death Star cost to build???

http://now.msn.com/now/0221-death-star-cost.aspx

$852 quadrillion
__________________

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #55
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?
 
Starscream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Andy
Location: In a little town somewhere in the USA
Posts: 10,226
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
How much would the Death Star cost to build???

http://now.msn.com/now/0221-death-star-cost.aspx

$852 quadrillion
Nice find!
__________________

In Cam we trust.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #56
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?
 
Starscream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Andy
Location: In a little town somewhere in the USA
Posts: 10,226
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Aside from the adding of the episode number, I don't think anything else was changed. "Release Versions" defined the pressing run, not necessarily a change in the movie (LDs are kind of weird in some of their nomenclature). Exempting the first release version, I think all the pre-box set releases are the same content, what changed was the jackets, P&S vs WS, NTSC/PAL and the fab that made the disc. Different fabs might have used different parameters in the transfer, so things might be lighter or darker but that's about it. It's not like DVDs where they make a gazillion all at once, the runs for LDs were typically much, much smaller numbers, that's why there were so many.

Not sure when they cleaned up the audio, that might have been in the later releases. Also not sure offhand when they went from DD to AC-3, not sure if that happened any time before the box set.
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but some in depth discussion would be nice here....

Lucas made the changes to add the "Episode IV" to the title crawl early on b/c the original release production companies thought that audiences would be confused by starting a new film with episode IV. I don't agree with the other changes, but Lucas owns the film and his vision is his vision. If he wants the changes, then so be it. Do I like all of them? No. But it's not my films to play with.
__________________

In Cam we trust.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #57
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things
 
Partagaspete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The 1st State
Posts: 676
Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

I Love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS7oMGlCLCE
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #58
T.G
Mmmm Stogies....
 
T.G's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: The Other Adam
Posts: 14,224
Trading: (35)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but some in depth discussion would be nice here....

Lucas made the changes to add the "Episode IV" to the title crawl early on b/c the original release production companies thought that audiences would be confused by starting a new film with episode IV. I don't agree with the other changes, but Lucas owns the film and his vision is his vision. If he wants the changes, then so be it. Do I like all of them? No. But it's not my films to play with.
I was just trying to explain that when LD collectors talk about released versions of a disc, it doesn't necessarily mean that the movie changed, it just means that it was a different pressing run. LD's are confusing and standardized that way, sometimes it changed, sometimes it didn't.

Aside from the title crawl, I don't think anything else was changed until the trilogy box set came out, I also don't think that the audio was remastered until then either - I'll have to check.

Aside from the Han Solo not shooting first anymore bit, I think most of the Trilogy additional footage was as harmless as it was useless and unnecessary (although I did chuckle at the Jawas that went over the top of the bantha and were dangling by the reins and cursing when the speeder bike cut them off)

I'm not crazy about the later changes, but ultimately, I really don't care either. It's just a f'ing movie after all.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #59
OLS
Suck It
 
OLS's Avatar
2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Brad
Location: TN
Posts: 7,908
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

Knowing that I love both of you should make this point easier to swallow. This ain't the thread for it, haha.
Nothing to see here...er, EVERYTHNG to see here, but a bunch of long-boring words ain't it.

Hey look, it's Halley's Comet!
__________________
Get a look inside the best lil Juke Jernt in Memphis at
https://www.facebook.com/meetmeinmemphis1
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #60
T.G
Mmmm Stogies....
 
T.G's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: The Other Adam
Posts: 14,224
Trading: (35)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: General Star Wars Bizarre things

No worries Brad, I'm not really interested in debating the changes in Star Wars any more than debating why Star Trek is better, I just felt that Andy deserved a better explanation of what I meant in my earlier post.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.