Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #41
BengalMan
Have My Own Room
 
BengalMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Ian
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,280
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Had some Thomas Handy last night. I must say, it was very impressive. Looking forward to trying the others.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #42
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee
 
MajorCaptSilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Scott
Location: Mishawaka, IN
Posts: 2,518
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

I concur with Woodford Reserve. This may be sacrilege, but I enjoy it with Diet Dr Pepper!

MCS
MajorCaptSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #43
wrench turner 85
I'm the Ocho Cinco!
 
wrench turner 85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 276
Trading: (0)
Partagas
wrench turner 85 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

big fan of benchmark, I'm more of an rum drinker but nonthing beats a good bourbon and a cigar
__________________
dam you party liquor
wrench turner 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:31 PM   #44
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL
 
awsmith4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Albert
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Posts: 4,602
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

I am broke so I went out and got some Evan Williams black and got to say its damn good for the price, even better than my usual cheapy Early Times
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #45
Sanitariumite
Bloodied but unbowed
 
Sanitariumite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Adam
Location: Afghanistan
Posts: 84
Trading: (0)
Army (Active)
Sanitariumite is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

I'm new to the bourbon game. I've only tried Maker's Mark (It was a Halloween party and I was too sauced to taste any of it), Jim Beam (No thanks), and Wild Turkey Rare Breed. The Rare Breed, at 108.2 proof was a bit too strong to sip straight, but mix it with a coke zero and you've got my new favorite mixed drink. What would you recommend for me to try for under $40? I'd like to pick up a bottle on payday next week, and I want to try something new, but I'm in school, paying off a car, and trying to only work 25 hours a week, so it really can't break the bank. Any suggestions?
Sanitariumite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:39 PM   #46
BengalMan
Have My Own Room
 
BengalMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Ian
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,280
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitariumite View Post
I'm new to the bourbon game. I've only tried Maker's Mark (It was a Halloween party and I was too sauced to taste any of it), Jim Beam (No thanks), and Wild Turkey Rare Breed. The Rare Breed, at 108.2 proof was a bit too strong to sip straight, but mix it with a coke zero and you've got my new favorite mixed drink. What would you recommend for me to try for under $40? I'd like to pick up a bottle on payday next week, and I want to try something new, but I'm in school, paying off a car, and trying to only work 25 hours a week, so it really can't break the bank. Any suggestions?
There are many great bourbons under $40. Below are some of my favorites:

Woodford Reserve
Basil Hayden
Elmer T Lee
Eagle Rare

Let me know what you end up grabbing and what you think of it.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:41 PM   #47
Sanitariumite
Bloodied but unbowed
 
Sanitariumite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Adam
Location: Afghanistan
Posts: 84
Trading: (0)
Army (Active)
Sanitariumite is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

I know they've got Woodford at the local Liquor store, maybe I'll start off with a bottle of that. I'll definitely report back. I wasn't a fan of whiskey until I tried bourbon, and I'm quite excited about it!
__________________
- INVICTUS -
Sanitariumite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #48
STYX&STONED
I TAKE SPECIAL VITAMINS
 
STYX&STONED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Gary
Location: Southeast Ohio
Posts: 70
Trading: (1)
RyJ
STYX&STONED is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

IMHO there is no better deal for the $ then Bulleit. After that I go for Woodford.
__________________
READ MY LIPS!!!
STYX&STONED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #49
Sanitariumite
Bloodied but unbowed
 
Sanitariumite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Adam
Location: Afghanistan
Posts: 84
Trading: (0)
Army (Active)
Sanitariumite is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

I think they have Bulleit there too. I'm heading there in a bit, and the price will make my mind as to which I'll be trying tonight. I will most definitely be posting back here with my review.
__________________
- INVICTUS -
Sanitariumite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #50
tsolomon
Have My Own Room
 
tsolomon's Avatar
2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tom
Posts: 1,156
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

My choice would be Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek. I have a big bottle of Eagle Rare 10 which is good, but I really like the Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage 1997, it has some of most amazing flavors at a great price.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #51
gabebdog1
Adjusting to the Life
 
gabebdog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 307
Trading: (1)
HUpmann
gabebdog1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

drinking some wild turkey kuntucky spirite not bad but want something with more carmel notes
gabebdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #52
jrw
On A 72-Hour Psych Hold
 
jrw's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,002
Trading: (4)
Partagas
jrw has a spectacular aura aboutjrw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

I think I'll pour myself another Knob Creek while I'm up.
__________________
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.--Groucho
jrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #53
Jdbwolverines
Still Watching My Back
 
Jdbwolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 105
Trading: (1)
Jdbwolverines is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

I finally branched away from Knob Creek last time I was at the liquor store and picked up some Woodford. I'm glad I did. Not quite as smooth as Knob, but more in depth and more flavors.
Jdbwolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #54
Sanitariumite
Bloodied but unbowed
 
Sanitariumite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Adam
Location: Afghanistan
Posts: 84
Trading: (0)
Army (Active)
Sanitariumite is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!


Went to the liquor store yesterday, and between the Woodford Reserve and the Bulleit I couldn't decide. I let the $8 difference in price dictate, so I grabbed the bottle of Bulleit. Luckily, at the register they had a few of the 50ml bottles of Woodford so I bought 2 of them. My roommmate grabbed a fifth of Fighting ****. After an extensive tasting ceremony, I've decided I like the Bulleit better with a coke, as it's got a bit more burn. The Woodford had a sweet character, and I thought I tasted some vanilla/caramel (Although with liquor I have virtually no palate. I'm not accustomed enough to the alcohol burn yet to detect more delicate flavors like I can with cigars). I've decided that Woodford Reserve has officially become my new sipping liquor (The only one, I might add, that isn't a tequila), but I didn't like it in the Coke, as the sweetness was lost in the mix. That fighting **** is some savage stuff. It had a serious burn, which I like for mixing in a coke. Next on my try list is Knob Creek, and when I sell my books back at the end of the quarter, I'll grab a bottle of Booker's to bring in the Winter break right. This is really cool, as I've never been a huge whiskey fan, but I'm really starting to enjoy this Bourbon game. Any other recommendations for sub $50 fifths worth trying?
__________________
- INVICTUS -
Sanitariumite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #55
Ken
Still Watching My Back
 
Ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Albany, In
Posts: 241
Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Nice selection - none of it cheap though
One great thing about bourbon, besides bleeding from the rolling hills in the bluegrass, is that there is a selection of good bottles for just one $20.

I wish I had more people around me that liked bourbon so we could do blind tastings.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #56
Scottw
Going Commando
 
Scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Scott
Location: Sussex, NJ
Posts: 2,742
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
I am broke so I went out and got some Evan Williams black and got to say its damn good for the price, even better than my usual cheapy Early Times
It is pretty Damn good. Throw some of MCS's Dr. Pepper into it.
__________________
"Ray when someone asks you if your a GOD you say yes."
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #57
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!
 
JohnnyFlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: John
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 534
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitariumite View Post
This is really cool, as I've never been a huge whiskey fan, but I'm really starting to enjoy this Bourbon game. Any other recommendations for sub $50 fifths worth trying?
In addition to what I've already mentioned, another great, for about $30 is:

Jameson Irish Whiskey
__________________
A real man only needs Seven things in his life, Cigars, Women, Guns, Whiskey, Beer, Beans & Bacon!
JohnnyFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #58
tnip23
New Patriotic Dissenter
 
tnip23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Troy
Location: central PA
Posts: 90
Trading: (2)
Partagas
tnip23 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitariumite View Post

Went to the liquor store yesterday, and between the Woodford Reserve and the Bulleit I couldn't decide. I let the $8 difference in price dictate, so I grabbed the bottle of Bulleit. Luckily, at the register they had a few of the 50ml bottles of Woodford so I bought 2 of them. My roommmate grabbed a fifth of Fighting ****. After an extensive tasting ceremony, I've decided I like the Bulleit better with a coke, as it's got a bit more burn. The Woodford had a sweet character, and I thought I tasted some vanilla/caramel (Although with liquor I have virtually no palate. I'm not accustomed enough to the alcohol burn yet to detect more delicate flavors like I can with cigars). I've decided that Woodford Reserve has officially become my new sipping liquor (The only one, I might add, that isn't a tequila), but I didn't like it in the Coke, as the sweetness was lost in the mix. That fighting **** is some savage stuff. It had a serious burn, which I like for mixing in a coke. Next on my try list is Knob Creek, and when I sell my books back at the end of the quarter, I'll grab a bottle of Booker's to bring in the Winter break right. This is really cool, as I've never been a huge whiskey fan, but I'm really starting to enjoy this Bourbon game. Any other recommendations for sub $50 fifths worth trying?
I really like where your palate is headed. The woodford is a bourbon i would never mix, only sip. The bulleit is not bad for sipping, but not so good i wouldn't feel bad mixing it. Keep the fighting ck for giving to people who just want to get drunk. The knob creek and bookers are excellent to sip, just add one or two ice cubes to cut the high alcohol levels. you are on yet another wonderful slope.
__________________
"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking, and loving, you don't actually live longer, it just seems longer."--Clement Freud
tnip23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #59
Ken
Still Watching My Back
 
Ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Albany, In
Posts: 241
Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
That fighting **** is some savage stuff.
Fighting **** is some rough stuff and right at the same price as Beam. There's a handfull or two that are cheaper and better.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:36 AM   #60
Jdbwolverines
Still Watching My Back
 
Jdbwolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 105
Trading: (1)
Jdbwolverines is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitariumite View Post
Any other recommendations for sub $50 fifths worth trying?
Two cheaper bourbons that are really good for the price are Evan Williams Single Barrel and Buffalo Trace. Both can be had for under $25 a fifth. They are good enough to drink straight and still keep enough to mix if you feel like it. For a bit more ~$40, I'd recommend Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon. Harder to find, but a great bourbon. Its aged 13 years, so it is a great whiskey, but still not too old were the price gets astronomical.
Jdbwolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.