Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #201
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: iPhone Cigar App ... need beta testers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
Wonder how long apple will review this before releasing it. I am over this app. Thanks for all the hard work Ken.
Well, based on Apple's press release/video yesterday, they said the majority of applications were approved within 7 days.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #202
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by promethius View Post
The sort feature is nice, but can a cancel button be added? Currently you have to select one of the options.
How about if I simply highlight the current option, and if you don't want to change, then just click that one. The design guidelines suggest that more than three buttons on that alert panel is 'undesirable'

Quote:
I noticed you can't add a cigar brand to your humidor without putting in a quantity. Might be nice for the initial population purposes if you know you have a cigar but not the quantity, you could edit that later.
I keep thinking about this one, but here's the question: On the home screen I list the total quantity in your humidors, and the number of "unique cigars". what if you had a cigar with quantity of 5 in your humidor, and 10 other cigars with quantity of 0. Those numbers would show:

5 Total Cigars
11 unique cigars

which looks kind of strange. Thoughts on how to manage that situation?

Quote:
the last thing is an edit option, where the only option is to actually delete it. From:my cigars, NC, Fuente Fuente Opusx(or any brand), list screen dbl robosto, churchill etc, the next screen, dbl robosto is listed, the edit option only allows you to delete it, if you go to the next/final screen you can edit the options, quantities etc.
that button really means "edit list". It is pretty consistent with other iPhone apps in that regard. The challenge is allowing other editing without already having a cigar selected. Thoughts on behavior you'd like to see?

Quote:
Next is the wish list, if you add a cigar, you can't see any details page, meaning: my cigars, wishlist, cc, Bolivar, Amado Seleccion E <end> should this end on the same page as the reference page where there are details on the cigar?
Yes, this is something I want to do, but might be a version 1.1 feature.

Quote:
Next is a feature request, if your in your wish list, how about an option to add that cigar to a humidor?
Good idea, and probably pretty easy to implement. I'll take a hard look at fitting that in for the initial release.

Quote:
Finally, a home button. If I'm knee deep in my cigars, and want to get back to my humidors/wishlist you currently have to back out. If you hit home, it takes me to the login screen, then if I click my cigars, I am back where I left.
Jon already answered that one. Just click the section button again to go to the "top" of that section. Just so you know, that works in other iPhone apps as well, and I just learned about it recently myself

Quote:
Sorry for the long message, and if anything's not clear email or PM me and I can better explain.

thanks
I appreciate your great testing and feedback!!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #203
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Well, based on Apple's press release/video yesterday, they said the majority of applications were approved within 7 days.
yup, I saw that. Let's just hope I'm not in the 4% that don't get approved at all
Old 03-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #204
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
yup, I saw that. Let's just hope I'm not in the 4% that don't get approved at all
Well, you are going to have a crap load of us writing to Apple.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #205
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about that...unless they question having cuban cigars in the app? But I doubt it.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #206
Lee
Life is good!

First Name: Lee
Trading: (7)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Lee is on a distinguished road

I added the La Aroma de Cuba and La Flor Dominicana lines last night and completed adding the Rocky Patels. I will be doing one more set of adds tonight. Last chance for recommendations.

Last edited by Lee; 03-18-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: mispo
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #207
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I added the La Aroma de Cuba and La Flor Dominicana lines last night and completed adding the Rocky Patels. I will be doing one more set of adds tonight. Last chance for recommendations.
Lee is becoming an NC whore!!

Seriously, most of the data in Mobile Stogie is due to the efforts of Lee, Jon (godofgravity), and Hal. Thanks guys!!

Old 03-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #208
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Quote:
I keep thinking about this one, but here's the question: On the home screen I list the total quantity in your humidors, and the number of "unique cigars". what if you had a cigar with quantity of 5 in your humidor, and 10 other cigars with quantity of 0. Those numbers would show:

5 Total Cigars
11 unique cigars

Just a thought... why couldn't the app read any cigar with an unlisted quantity as 1,s o it could read 15 total cigars, 11 unique cigars? Seems like you could tell it default quantity is 1 or something like that.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #209
promethius

Quote:
How about if I simply highlight the current option, and if you don't want to change, then just click that one. The design guidelines suggest that more than three buttons on that alert panel is 'undesirable'

That would work, and is actually what I did was select the current option. Highlighting it would be good. I agree on the too many buttons.

5 Total Cigars
11 unique cigars

How about a 3rd option, of Total wanted cigars?
5 Total Cigars
11 unique cigars
6 Wanted Cigars?

then from the wanted cigars screen, you could add a quantity to a humidor and it would be removed from the wanted list?

that button really means "edit list". It is pretty consistent with other iPhone apps in that regard. The challenge is allowing other editing without already having a cigar selected. Thoughts on behavior you'd like to see?

I guess my thought is it feels like an extra page, where the only option is the edit button, and the only option from edit is to delete the cigar. I'm kinda stuck on ideas for it, is this between screen needed?

Yes, this is something I want to do, but might be a version 1.1 feature.

Good idea, and probably pretty easy to implement. I'll take a hard look at fitting that in for the initial release.

Jon already answered that one. Just click the section button again to go to the "top" of that section. Just so you know, that works in other iPhone apps as well, and I just learned about it recently myself

I appreciate your great testing and feedback!!
It's been a pleasure! look forwarding to purchasing it from Apple when it's released!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #210
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Last request...can this gif be incorporated?

Old 03-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #211
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post

Maybe in Version 2

Actually, I'll probably be dancing like that once this actually gets released on the app store. At a minimum, I'll be getting more sleep at night
Old 03-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #212
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

First Name: Richard
Trading: (55)
JL Navy (Served With Honor)
rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post

could be the greatest thing ever
Old 03-19-2009, 05:27 AM   #213
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
Just a thought... why couldn't the app read any cigar with an unlisted quantity as 1,s o it could read 15 total cigars, 11 unique cigars? Seems like you could tell it default quantity is 1 or something like that.
The way I've chosen to handle 0 quantity cigars is this (after consulting with Andrew, Lee and Jon during our wednesday HERF ):

If you put a quantity of zero for something in your humidor (while adding or editing), it will not count toward the totals on the home screen. The theory is this: you can't put zero of something in your actual humidor, so you shouldn't expect this to show in the stats. Having said that, there is value in being able to do this, so you can essentially keep a history of cigars that you once had (notes, where you got them, rating, etc.).

Hopefully all of this becomes moot when I add a more robust 'Smoking Notes' section to the app in the next version.

Now I have to go make this change, so I can get this out the door!!!
Old 03-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #214
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Thought I would share the new numbers on the database. It now contains reference information for 1,700 unique cigars (718 CC's and 982 NC's).

Some of the key recent additions:
  • 5 Vegas
  • A. Fuente
  • Ashton
  • Camacho
  • DPG
  • Graycliff
  • Gurkha
  • La Aroma de Cuba
  • La Aurora
  • La Flor Dominicana
  • Oliva
  • Padron
  • Perdomo
  • Rocky Patel
  • Tatuaje

Hopefully this helps to balance out the CC vs. NC focus of the app. There is still the ability for people to add any cigars they want, and edit the ones that are in there (I'm sure there are errors in the data; you'd be amazed at the amount of conflicting info about so many cigars). In any case, I expect it will be much more likely that people will find a good many of their own cigars in the database, so setting up the inventory part should be much easier for the user.

Who knew there were so many damn cigars ... 90 of them alone for Rocky Patel !!

Ok, back to work ...
Old 03-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #215
promethius

Hey, looks like your cheating look at that 0 in the my wishlist, ya think you special treatment for writeing this or something! Looks and acts great!
Old 03-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #216
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by promethius View Post
Hey, looks like your cheating look at that 0 in the my wishlist, ya think you special treatment for writeing this or something! Looks and acts great!
Hell, the more cigars I put in the database, the larger my personal wish list grows!! In fact, mine currently stands at 1,637 (that's the total list minus the Gurkha's o o)
Old 03-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #217
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

The Mobile Stogie application has been successfully submitted to Apple for posting to the app store!!!

The final version has minor tweaks from the beta 3 release, and has 1,741 cigars in the database.

Now comes the anxious waiting for Apple to review and hopefully approve the application. Indications are that this may take up to a week. If successful, then I'll post a new thread for the official version.

Thanks to everybody on CA who took the time to provide feedback, testing and moral support. This has been quite a journey for me over the past 3 months. In fact, as of Christmas 2008, I had never written a single line of C code in my life. Today I released a full featured application with hundreds (probably thousands) of lines of code. As I said, quite a journey. Regardless of the outcome, this is a very satisfying day for me.

Thanks again!

Last edited by KenS; 03-19-2009 at 09:51 PM.
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:49 AM   #218
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope this thing pops out the other side!

Great work Ken!
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:39 AM   #219
Lee
Life is good!

First Name: Lee
Trading: (7)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Lee is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on the submittal Ken. I know a lot of work went into this. You should be very proud. You did a lot of work to create something that you wanted to share. I was glad to be a part of it.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #220
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Plan on watching the store for the release. I will be checking this everyday until then.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote