Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 09-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
Tredegar
Sing along with me

Trading: (9)
Tredegar is on a distinguished road
Default Now this is different

You've heard of the proverbial message in a bottle. Now there's a literal cigar in a bottle.

Carlos Fuente Jr., cigarmaster behind the popular Fuente Fuente OpusX brand, has teamed with Johnny Soyak and Matt Bogosian of Grand Pommier XS Calvados brandy to create a two-in-one combo product called Cigar in the Bottle.

Cigar in the Bottle places a special-edition Fuente cigar perfectly within the body of a bottle of Calvados, an apple brandy made in France. The Fuente Fuente Forbidden X is a one-of-a-kind cigar, measuring 6 3/8 inches by 49 ring gauge, that can only be found inside this uniquely designed bottle.

Fuente says seven types of tobacco are used to make the bottled Forbidden X, all grown on the grounds of Chateau de la Fuente in the Dominican Republic. The tobacco is taken from the middle primings, resulting in a sweeter smoother blend to complement the Calvados, according to Fuente. These Forbidden X cigars feature the signature strength of all OpusX cigars, but the ones for the bottle project have been aged 30 to 45 days inside oak casks that once stored the Calvados, which Fuente says adds a hint of apple sweetness. The Grand Pommier XS is distilled from apples grown in the Normandy region of France and aged between 30 and 40 years.

The presentation is striking. The Forbidden X, wrapped in cedar, is perfectly stored within the body of the Calvados bottle, which is hand-blown in southern France in such a way that a cylindrical tube is perfectly formed from the bottle's bottom. The cigar fits in the cylinder and a tiny disc-shaped Humidipak is used to cork the bottom. A sticker featuring a hologram image of Carlos Fuente Sr. and Carlos Jr. is used to hold the Humidipak in place. According to Soyak, the Humidipak will keep the Forbidden X fresh for at least a year. When the time comes to indulge, just peel away the sticker to reach the cigar.
Tredegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: Now this is different

That's awesome.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Different and novel for sure.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Very cool...wonder what this bad boy costs?
Old 09-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
Tredegar
Sing along with me

Trading: (9)
Tredegar is on a distinguished road

About 300 a bottle I believe.
Tredegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
RustyShackleford
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chris
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
RustyShackleford is on a distinguished road

That's pretty cool. I would not spend 300 for it but it would be a cool display piece to have.
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredegar View Post
About 300 a bottle I believe.
I was in a shop when a guy offered the owner $200 for one and he took it, so I guess it can be had cheaper.

But alas, like everything Opus, the only good thing is the pretty presentation.