Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 10-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Cigargal will become famous soon enoughCigargal will become famous soon enough
Default Storage Tins

I just ordered a couple of storage tins from Sweet Maria's. What is the proper use of these babies. Do you put the coffee in before or after it is cooled-if after, how long after. If I use these tins how long before I grind and brew for the best cup?
Cigargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Storage Tins

Store the beans when they're cooled, object being to reduce the contact with air, light, odors and moisture. Those cans will do that.

Best to grind right before brewing.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I use them and my system is to keep my green beans in paper bags or burlap bags until roasted.

Once roasted, they move to the SM storage tins with a note on it saying the bean, roast date, and roast notes.

I was told to make sure you don't expose the bottom to water as it will mess up something or other in the valve that releases the gas.

If you do mess them up, they are cheap enough to replace.

They are nice and plain, and I let my 4 year old daughter color mine with rainbows, frogs, and angry pit bulls.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI

Partagas

Hey...lets have a Post your Tins Photo contest!!

So let them cool then tin...I always grind seconds before brewing. 24 hrs in the tin good enough to wait befor brewing?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigargal View Post
Hey...lets have a Post your Tins Photo contest!!

So let them cool then tin...I always grind seconds before brewing. 24 hrs in the tin good enough to wait befor brewing?
24-seconds in a pinch; 24-48 hours, ja, shure.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
Fumes
Not So Memorious

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Fumes is on a distinguished road

I figure the beans are cool enough once the cooling cycle is finished. I just dump em straight from the drum into the SM tin can. (Barbaric, I know, but there are only so many hours in the day.) The valve has a paper bit that is susceptible to H2O damage, so you're supposed to wipe it out with a dry paper towel and not wash it.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

Mine get cooled over a fan in a collander after roasting, then put in the tin.

I normally have a day or two worth of beans in the grinder hopper so I am not going to the tin for a couple days.

I'm roasting twice a week now and actually find that I am liking the stuff better after 3 days of rest and even notice more oils showing up on the darker roasts after a few days.

I guess this this can still be considered fresh.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI

Partagas

I wish I could get ahead on the roasting. It seems like I am always needing more coffee!
Old 10-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
Mister Moo

Coffee usually develops for days after roasting, IMO, not hours. Sometimes it isn't "there" for 5-6 days post-roast and, thereafter, can hang good for two weeks with reasonable storage.

If you're falling behind then you only need bigger roasters. Y'all need to be looking into a 4-burner gas grill conversion or stacked SCCO or something like that. Those FRs and IRs are good for learning. After that you need to, uh, scale up! Crikey, Fl'ink - you'll need at least a 4-burner grill/roaster to keep that Brasilia fed.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

I'm actually going through a mind bending research on roasters and am leaning towards the Hottop programmable at this point.

I don't see the Freshroast lasting more than a couple more months max. I am definitely pushing it and don't wait the suggested 30 minutes rest between roasts and cheat quite a bit past the 8 minutes max.

I am even finding myself taking off the chaff collector to let a little heat escape so I can get a longer roast.

Roasting is something I don't see leaving my life and really want to get it right on the upgrade and am wondering if I can keep it somewhat simple and dependable on the scale up while avoiding buyer's remorse.

The Brasilia isn't overly hungry as far as i can see, and since I got the squirting and whistling under control, it's just packing a few portafilters a day to keep me running, which actually reduces my trips to Sam's Club for Monster energy drink by the case.

The main challenge has been keeping the thing shiny and not burning myself on all the metal that I didn't previously have. I am a bit scarred at this point from some groggy mornings bumping into hot brewgroups and probably shouldn't have taken off the "caution" sticker so soon.

On the positive side, I haven't fallen victim to any scalding citrus acid in the eyes as a result of the excellent pressure relief on the E61's valve for backflushing.

Last edited by floydpink; 10-08-2009 at 09:15 PM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:27 AM   #11
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

Pete, are you talking about the Hottop "P"? I highly suggest the "B' over the "P". I fell into the same allure the P gave but in reality the B is more controllable.

I would look into building a BBQ roaster because of the climate you live in, amount that can be roasted, and heat control. If I can figure out a way to add a bean mass probe to the drum I will be building one for myself for those big roasting times.

Shinning metel and burning yourself on it, ah, good old ABS plastic sure is cool to touch and a dirty sponge cleans messes off.

Sweet Maria tins rule, I like the way they look on the countertop.

Last edited by germantown rob; 10-09-2009 at 05:36 AM.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:01 AM   #12
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantown rob View Post
...I would look into building a BBQ roaster because...
I roasted three pounds by BBQ last Sunday and find it quick, easy and somewhat controllable. I LOVE the BBQ roaster but... but... but...

It isn't particularly good for espresso blends, though. It isn't bad but, for espresso roasting I am leaning to favor the SCCO. I feel a new thread coming on.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #13
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
I roasted three pounds by BBQ last Sunday and find it quick, easy and somewhat controllable. I LOVE the BBQ roaster but... but... but...

It isn't particularly good for espresso blends, though. It isn't bad but, for espresso roasting I am leaning to favor the SCCO. I feel a new thread coming on.
Anxiously waiting to read it as espresso blends seem to be half of what I roast at this point.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #14
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Quote:

Yeah Moo...get the Thread up. I got a TO being delivered today, and a Salton Popper coming next week. So I'm still gathering parts. So an all inclusive thread for SC/CO-UFO/TO would be awesome.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #15
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have been thinking through adding an exhaust fan and adding to the interior to keep heat closer to the beans. I want more control out of a BBQ setup then I have seen but I won't be getting rid of the Hottop for the full ability to control the roast for the $40+ green beans and the greenies for espresso.

Quote:
Will this be strictly for you wrencher's or will you include those of us that just throw money at the solutions?
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #16
raisin
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
raisin has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
I'm actually going through a mind bending research on roasters and am leaning towards the Hottop programmable at this point.

Roasting is something I don't see leaving my life and really want to get it right on the upgrade and am wondering if I can keep it somewhat simple and dependable on the scale up while avoiding buyer's remorse.
"No worries", get the HTB!
raisin is offline   Reply With Quote