Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough
Default Urgent News For Knife Owners!

I seams the current definition of switchblades will be changed to "any one handed opening knife" This will put assisted opening, manual opening, even older slip joint models into the illegal category. Please visit this website and email your congressmen we only have so many rights. We do not need any more to be taken away!

The Gun people have been fighting strong, lets take after them and stand up for our rights.

http://www.kniferights.org/index.php...=76&Itemid=150

Please help.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Urgent News For Knife Owners!

Wouldn't that make utility knives illegal too? Boy, the sheetrock guys will be in deep sheet.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Drat

If asked by a law enforcement officer to open your knife, ALWAYS open it with two hands...

I can gravity open just about any folding knife. These laws are ridiculous...
Old 06-11-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

These laws are made to be taken in any way THEY want them to be taken. Whichever favors them best at the time.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Unfreakinbeleivable.

Come arrest me
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

These laws are state laws, not federal laws, so the definitions are made on a state by state basis.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

Pretty stupid for sure.... This would make almost all of us criminals, including me. I dont plan on not carrying mine anytime soon.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruzee View Post
Pretty stupid for sure.... This would make almost all of us criminals, including me. I dont plan on not carrying mine anytime soon.
No sweat, Dustin, we can bring guns to the knife fight.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #9
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
These laws are state laws, not federal laws, so the definitions are made on a state by state basis.
Just another reason everyone should send a message to their state congressman.

Call me crazy but i havet read much abotu criminals going out, buying a $600 custom knife, then stabbing someone.........

Last edited by Wolfgang; 06-11-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

The road to ?what? was paved with good intentions?

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #11
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
No sweat, Dustin, we can bring guns to the knife fight.
Ain't that the truth Tom!
Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Call me crazy but i havet read much abotu criminals going out, buying a $600 custom knife, then stabbing someone.........
Nope...usually it's a $2 steak knife. Criminals ain't the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #13
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

exactly. I hope this bill, act, law, whatever never even makes it to voting.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #14
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
exactly. I hope this bill, act, law, whatever never even makes it to voting.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:32 AM   #15
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

How many of you have sent your letter?

I have.

Lets play a game. In the following picture how many of the knives will be made ILLEGAL under the reclassification of switchblades?

Every single one of them.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:32 AM   #16
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rich
Trading: (1)
smokeyandthebandit05 is on a distinguished road

Well they can pry my Benchmades from my cold dead hands

----------------
Now playing: Kenny Chesney - Out Last Night
via FoxyTunes
Old 06-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #17
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Can you imagine the Police officers trying to enforce this? "Im sorry sir but according to the dumbasses in office you are now a felon."
Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #18
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I doubt that will pass in Florida, but if it does, I'd imagine my concealed weapon permit will allow me to continue carrying my Kershaw on my belt.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #19
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

I would hope so Pete. I have to wait till Aug 2 before I can get mine.

Deadline for letters to be sent is June 21st. Send an Email. Here is a Model. Personalize the 1st paragraph so it dosent get filtered as spam.

I have become aware that CBP is revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening knives (that require manual manipulation to deploy!) are NOT switchblades. Since many courts and legislative bodies rely upon these CBP knife definitions, this revised ruling will have broad and unintended consequences. Your re-definition of these folding knives will create foolish bureaucracy and regulation, criminalize millions of good people, create more economic hardship by destroying the knife and tool industry (and the military/LE access to these items as well), and in the end will only lessen public safety.

• Knives are already highly regulated with current laws, both on national and local levels. Millions of good people across the country use folding knives for duty, utility tasks, outdoors activities, emergency services, rescue operations, and for legal defensive purposes. This CBP interpretation burdens law enforcement and will instantly criminalize about 40 million good people. It is very unlikely anyone would dispose of any knives and it will create unnecessary enmity between citizenry and government.

• The economy is failing. And yet your ruling will make it worse. The outlawing of assisted opening AND most other folding knives with this ruling will destroy a thriving industry that employs thousands upon thousands of people. This is an industry that only needs to be left alone to succeed. And for years, succeed they have despite tremendous economic challenges. It is also this knife and tool industry that supplies these items to our armed forces and law enforcement officers. The CBP ruling will crush it and lead us further towards a full-on economic Depression. The military and police will have nowhere to turn for their knives then. Is this what you want?

• A knife is a viable and legal defensive tool, often carried by reasonable and good people. This CBP revocation is a capricious assault of these defensive and utility tools legally used by millions of Americans. Like a firearm, these tools should enjoy the same Constitutional protections (arms) and the bad guys will always have such items and they always have. It is only the law abiding citizen that will be felonized by this assault on knife possession. Again, is this what you want and is this good law?

• With this re-definition, most folding knives will be interpreted as illegal despite the smokescreen of disinformation your office seems to be dispensing over this issue. This re-definition of switchblades is far reaching and carries the aforementioned political and societal liabilities. It will do nothing to increase public safety. At the very least, this matter should be open to public commentary for 120 days. Please extend this feedback period and open up the option for emailed responses. More to the point, I feel this issue will be a political liability for your office and I urge you to ABANDON this ruling immediately. For the record then, I FULLY oppose your offices actions re-classifying these knives as switchblades. I will thank you for adhering to previous switchblade definitions and in doing so you will gain my political support of your office again.

Sincerely,
Old 06-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #20
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

August 2? My birthday is August 3.

Strap in for a LOOOONG wait for your carry permit