Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #21
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Please read...credit card compromised

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
No thrice screwed? You deserved it!
Yeah! I wish it worked that way!
I'd have a permagrin!

I should also clarify......

This card has not been used for any vendor transactions.

It is my travel and big item card only.

I use gift cards for purchases.. they are a very cheap insurance policy for this type of thing.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #22
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I just got a call from my bank. Someone tried to charge $20,000 and $10,000 against my card which had recently been used ONCE by a vendor.

Damn...that sucks!!!!! Be safe people and check your statements!
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:03 AM   #23
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
Damn...that sucks!!!!! Be safe people and check your statements!

No worries...... My wife checks them VERY carefully!

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #24
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

being deployed I only use a low limit cc for purchases and check my statements and credit often to ensure no wrong doings
Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #25
shadow king
Fresh outta Ad Seg

First Name: Matt
Trading: (19)
Quintero
shadow king is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I just got a call from my bank. Someone tried to charge $20,000 and $10,000 against my card which had recently been used ONCE by a vendor.

Man this is VERY troubling. Are you going to contact that vendor and ask them WTF? Any updates on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
shadow king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #26
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
I got a call from my credit card company asking me to confirm 2 recent charges on my account. Whomever got ahold of my charge tried to charge 2 different charges for $14 for Skype. I told the credit card company NO I did not authorize this and they immediately closed the account.
Exact same thing just happened to my wife and I. A totally random $13 purchase on skype. We closed our card as well. Clearly this is some way they test the validity of the card. Interesting.

I didn't use this card for any type of cigar purchases though, just throwing that out there.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #27
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I have contacted the vendor. They said they just installed a new highly secure system within the last week. I told them it was one heck of a coincidence that two of us had used the same vendor and had a problem in the last week.

BTW... the card I used was on a brand new account. It had only been used twice and the other was a local liquor store where I have done business for years.

I may go the pre-paid route from now on.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #28
Linus

Quote:
Wow. So either the vender is unethical or their site has been compromised.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #29
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

I got a visa card through Wells Fargo (where I bank) with a $1,000 credit limit I use just for online purchasing.

I think it was originally offered as overdraft protection - so if I bounce a check it will cover the charge - but has the same fraud protections as a standard credit card.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #30
Moglman
tongue tied and twisted

First Name: Scott
Trading: (7)
RG
Moglman will become famous soon enough

I know it's been posted elsewhere, but I just got slammed with fraudulent charges. $1646 and $6187 to "Thinq Learning Development" and a $500 Poopal charge. PP was declined, and the others I need to talk to the credit union about tomorrow. I got multiple fraud calls on these and the card is closed.

This has been discussed on multiple boards but check your cards and take preemptive action. It's an epidemic for the cigar community.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #31
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

I check my account balance every day, and this is a good reminder that it is justified to do so.
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #32
BradNC
Formerly BradSacramento

First Name: Brad
Trading: (9)
BradNC is on a distinguished road

I have a "poopal" account and use their one time generated credit card number option if the site looks questionable or if I feel uneasy. That eliminates the concern for me in that "sitchiation".
BradNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #33
CueTheMusic
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (2)
CueTheMusic is on a distinguished road

Yep, I have a citi card, and use their virtual account number feature. It is nice because you can set an expiration date and a max amount on the virtual number, so I'll set the max amount to a few dollars above my purchase, and set it to expire soon after I use it.
CueTheMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #34
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the heads up. Luckily I have yet to have this happen to me, key word yet. I know a few guys who have had to deal with someone else charging crap on their card. Most companies are pretty decent about bad charges though.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #35
shadow king
Fresh outta Ad Seg

First Name: Matt
Trading: (19)
Quintero
shadow king is on a distinguished road

I came home last night to discover that I have $644 in unauthorized multiple transactions on my card. Just spent a good hour down at the bank getting things worked out and discovered some disturbing similiarities between my charges and another BOTL on here who had the same charges from the same places. We both have made purchases from a vendor who is wildly popular on this forum. This is the 3rd incident that I know of with this vendor. Their website has either been compromised or they have a dishonest thief working for them. I strongly recommend that anyone who is a regular with this place stay away from them until things can get resolved one way or the other. This is the first time I have had this type of thing happen to me ever. Given their reputation, I feel this might be a temporary thing with a bad employee...I hope.
shadow king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #36
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

There are actually 15+ sites hosted on the same server... It seems that the server or card processor has been compromised.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #37
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, to make things worse I gave my home phone for this purchase and I have been getting phishing phonecalls every day since...I guess this is a new techinque or something since I closed my card down...they call and act like a doctors office, dentist, florist, all kinds of wierd stuff asking for someone then asking me for personal info...this sucks and what a hassle...I'm done.
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #38
Waynegro1

Last year I was in Italy to visit family and only used my CC a couple times. I got back to the states and a few weeks later I noticed almost $2,000 in extra charges on my card. I called the CC company and they said the charges took place in Spain (I won''t even tell you what shops it was used at, let's just say it took some explaining) . I didn't leave Italia once and had charges in Spain!! It was taken care of, but you're dead on, pay attention to your bill just in case.
Thanks for the reminder.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #39
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow king View Post
I came home last night to discover that I have $644 in unauthorized multiple transactions on my card. Just spent a good hour down at the bank getting things worked out and discovered some disturbing similiarities between my charges and another BOTL on here who had the same charges from the same places. We both have made purchases from a vendor who is wildly popular on this forum. This is the 3rd incident that I know of with this vendor. Their website has either been compromised or they have a dishonest thief working for them. I strongly recommend that anyone who is a regular with this place stay away from them until things can get resolved one way or the other. This is the first time I have had this type of thing happen to me ever. Given their reputation, I feel this might be a temporary thing with a bad employee...I hope.
Does this place know of the comprimise though?
Old 06-08-2009, 06:40 AM   #40
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Another member on here that I'm personal friends with had his card stolen from this same vendor a week or so ago. Same song and dance with the Skype stuff. This is very bad news that it's now consistently happening.... At this point, I think it's wise that EVERYONE stay away from this site and any site connected with them for a bit until this blows over. There's no reason for fellow BOTL's to get scammed. This is obviously an on-going issue that needs to be addressed.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote