Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: NHL '11 - '12 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Its funny my son is young and has averaged a violent collision that made me very concerned both of his first two years. He has thankfully gotten a lot better this summer about skating with his head up as I have hammered on him about it. Whats sad is we get so used to yelling at the kids to get up when they go down. Its just part of the culture and I and everyone else is guilty of doing it. Its generally the first response. Then its, crap he might be hurt. The sport makes you tough I have seen this first hand with my son. Watched him get hit pop back up start to skate then start to cry and head to the bench with the wind knocked out. Its part of the game and deeply engrained in the culture to be tough and play hurt and not say when somethings wrong. That dudes a nancy etc. Its odd I was proud of him last year when he had his big collision and wanted to go back out after I got done checking him out. I didnt let him skate anymore that day even though he seemed fine.

Its definitely something I worry about a lot. The other day he said he wanted to play in yhe nhl when he grew up. I laughed and said he should play baseball or golf. As of late I wouldnt want him to ever play at that level.
Mike, I played goal throughout peewees and midgets to high school and in the Ivies. I was very lucky due to my position that the only injuries that I had was a knee that had to have a cart removed and some back problems showing up now that I do not know if they were from sports or from military service. I think that my point is that now a days you need to keep an eye on your kids so that concussions and brain stem injuries are not missed in the tempo of getting them back on the ice. Sorry for intruding on this post again. Paul