Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
TheLostGringo
Wish I had a Dr. Pepper

First Name: Roger
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
TheLostGringo will become famous soon enoughTheLostGringo will become famous soon enough
Default Home Protection Firearm

Been encouraged to take the Firearms safety class and the wife wants me to get a gun for the house.

I am sure that during the class I will get some ideas myself but wondered what the Forum thought would be a good first gun used for Home Protection primarily.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Home Protection Firearm

Depends on the situation, your and your wifes familiarity with firearms. Generally? It is very hard to argue with a short barrelled 12 gauge with a very bright light mounted underbarrel. Whatever your choice, whether handgun, shotgun, or (rarely) rifle, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice. Make sure you know and understand what the lethal force responsibilities and legalities may be in your state.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

also do some research on ammo. some ammo can keep on trveling threw walls.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
timo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (0)
timo will become famous soon enough

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...2_757751_image

Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics
timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

A shotgun cocking is enough to scare most any intruder. And, the scatter if you hafta shoot means you'll likely hit the intruder, and the pellets likely won't travel too far to endager neighbors et al.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Kudos for seeking out training and instruction first.

I'm very partial to a quality handgun in 9mm or larger. Equipped with a blinding LED flashlight and maybe even a laser sight, it's a very intimidating package that may prevent you from ever having to use it. My "things that go bump in the night" weapon is a Glock 23 in .40 with a Streamlight LED light / laser mounted on the rail.

Many training facilities and ranges have weapons you can rent. Try out several and ask the advice of folks you trust before you make a purchase. Then practice, practice, practice.....and practice some more. Did I mention practice...??

Lastly, along with the weapon, you need a way to secure it. I have a large floor standing safe, but bought one of these for daily storage. If we leave on a trip, the guns go in the big heavy safe, but the Gun Vault is pretty cool for daily storage, and is mounted near my bed so I can get into it quickly if required.

....did I mention practice...??

Be safe and good luck - N.F.H.
BlindedByScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
A shotgun cocking is enough to scare most any intruder. And, the scatter if you hafta shoot means you'll likely hit the intruder, and the pellets likely won't travel too far to endanger neighbors et al.
Pete is right but in terms of weapon only,what Hugh said is the safer choice.If you can call firing a shotgun at someone safe.

Hence the bright light,be damn sure of who you might have to shoot.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

dont forget to bolt the safe to the ground. heard many stories where they take the huge safe due to not being bolted down.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
A shotgun cocking is enough to scare most any intruder. And, the scatter if you hafta shoot means you'll likely hit the intruder, and the pellets likely won't travel too far to endager neighbors et al.
This is my next purchase. I currently have a .40 and .45 in the house but the reasons above are why I am adding a shotgun as the first line of defense for the house.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

12 gauge shotgun,nothing more scarier to a bad guy then a pump gun being racked.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
druturn

I currently use my Remington 870 20 gauge as home protection, but in a week I will be using my H&K 45 USP for concealed carry and home defense with a bed holster. It really all comes down to preference and what type of housing you are in. What ever you do, do not be tricked into using something crazy like 00 Buck for home defense. Those bad boys will go through your target and more than likely through your walls, endangering your neighbors. If you miss your target, you will REALLY endanger your neighbors. Since my shotgun is technically a hunting shotgun, it has a mag cap of 3 rounds that I outfit with #3 Buck, Birdshot, then another #3 Buck. Whatever weapon you decide to use, be extremely comfortable with it, familiarize yourself with the weapon and practice, practice, practice as much as you can. Range time helps tremendously, but also practicing clearing techniques specific to your house can be some of the most practical training you can do for free. Plan, practice, and hope to God in heaven that you never have to use it. Just my two cents.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
floydpink
crazy diamond

Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Me: Mossberg 500 for house. Smith and Wesson Airweight 38 for going out.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #13
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

I applaud your concerns for safety. Do as much research as you can. AFTER you have taken a firearms safety class I would suggest going to a range where you have the option of shooting various calibers such as the .40 and 9mm.

If you are going to have it at home I would suggest your wife taking the class as well and going with you to try the different options also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
also do some research on ammo. some ammo can keep on trveling threw walls.
Please do not look into this type of ammo. There are 5 safety rules I go by:

1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
2. Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to fire.
4. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.
5. Know youor target and what lies beyond.

You might learn something different while at your class but by all means think safety first. By the looks of it you're on the right track.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

I like my chances with my trusty Remington 870!
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #15
floydpink
crazy diamond

Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE View Post
Nice gun, but sorta long for me, which is why I chose the Mossberg for easy maneuvering.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

in mexico or texas? Mex: M60 Tex: whatever u are comfortable with and use at the range the most. The users familarity with the firearm matters more in a moment of panic and stress than what the weapon actually is.
Posted via Mobile Device
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by druturn View Post
I currently use my Remington 870 20 gauge as home protection, but in a week I will be using my H&K 45 USP for concealed carry and home defense with a bed holster. It really all comes down to preference and what type of housing you are in. What ever you do, do not be tricked into using something crazy like 00 Buck for home defense. Those bad boys will go through your target and more than likely through your walls, endangering your neighbors. If you miss your target, you will REALLY endanger your neighbors. Since my shotgun is technically a hunting shotgun, it has a mag cap of 3 rounds that I outfit with #3 Buck, Birdshot, then another #3 Buck. Whatever weapon you decide to use, be extremely comfortable with it, familiarize yourself with the weapon and practice, practice, practice as much as you can. Range time helps tremendously, but also practicing clearing techniques specific to your house can be some of the most practical training you can do for free. Plan, practice, and hope to God in heaven that you never have to use it. Just my two cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE View Post
An 870 is what I have as well, as Hugh said the pump is enough to send them the other way but it will put a hurting on them if they don't
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #18
TheLostGringo
Wish I had a Dr. Pepper

First Name: Roger
HUpmann
TheLostGringo will become famous soon enoughTheLostGringo will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the great information. Think I will take the class and then try some guns at the range before making a decision.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #19
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Everyone. I repeat, everyone, in your home must be trained to handle any firearms in the home. The exception is with minors who cannot be trusted due to age or lack of maturity. Mind you, some adults cannot be trusted due to lack of maturity as well, you make the call.

In my opinion, you should take a firearms safety class followed by at least a firearms self defense class. Self defense shooting is a whole lot different from range shooting. Only then will you know what weapon you feel comfortable with, if any.

Personally, I like an aluminum baseball bat as the first line of defense followed by a short barrel shotgun followed by a handgun with shot shells alternating with hollow points. But that's just me.

Note that any weapon that is within easy reach of you any place you are in the house is within easy reach of a foe. Many times, the person breaking in knows the victim and all their hiding places.

At this point in my life, the best plan I can offer for self defense is a good escape route. I would encourage you to insure everything in your house because they are only things. Save the people with a great plan to get them out of harms way. Also, I would encourage an alarm with a panic button that has a remote control fob that can be worn on the person.

One last thing, in the event that your house is every broken in to, anyone escaping or getting to a window should yell "fire" as loud as they can. Most neighbors will respond to "fire" by calling 911 when they would ignore "help" or similar. At least that's what I'm told by some of my LEO friends.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #20
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan View Post
12 gauge shotgun,nothing more scarier to a bad guy then a pump gun being racked.
Shotgun for sure, especially if it comes down to using it. You won't miss in an inside home situation.