Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #41
dox47
Mad Machinist

First Name: Vince
Trading: (0)
Trinidad
dox47 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cuban tobacco

According to the rules laid out by the Bush administration, as a US citizen you aren't allowed to consume a Cuban product anywhere in the world, even if it's legal where you happen to be... Any nagging guilt I might have felt about buying the product of expropriation was erased by the satisfaction of giving the finger to my own overreaching government, so I can now enjoy Habanos guilt free. Thanks W!
dox47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #42
South Shield
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
South Shield will become famous soon enough

"Cuban seed tobaccos grown in Nicaragua and Cuba. The wrapper would be from Cuba. The binder leaves would be from Nicaragua. For the ligero tobacco in the filler, he would use two types, one from Esteli and the other from Jalapa in Nicaragua. The other filler components, seco and viso, would come from Cuba, the former from Villa Clara, the latter from Pinar del Rio. That Cigar, he says with pride, would score 100 points."
-Don Pepin Garcia
South Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #43
nater

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Shield View Post
"Cuban seed tobaccos grown in Nicaragua and Cuba. The wrapper would be from Cuba. The binder leaves would be from Nicaragua. For the ligero tobacco in the filler, he would use two types, one from Esteli and the other from Jalapa in Nicaragua. The other filler components, seco and viso, would come from Cuba, the former from Villa Clara, the latter from Pinar del Rio. That Cigar, he says with pride, would score 100 points."
-Don Pepin Garcia
And that settles that
Old 03-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #44
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nater View Post
And that settles that
How so?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #45
nater

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
How so?
I am a pepin whore... if he thinks its a good thing, and the embargo lifts, I for one welcome the new blends
Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #46
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

I would smoke that cigar, for sure, but I still like puros in general; Nicaraguan, Cuban even the occasional Dominican, they give a much more distinct flavor profile. A Nic/Cuban blend could be a great cigar, but it wouldn't replace the delicate nuance of a Cuban puro.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #47
GDeAngelo

If it's not broken, why fix it? I still fear the day the Embargo is lifted.

-Gianni-
Old 03-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #48
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDeAngelo View Post
If it's not broken, why fix it? I still fear the day the Embargo is lifted.

-Gianni-
What's to fear about it? Chances are with an influx of CC's it might put the NC's in the position of being more competitive in their pricing and lower our costs IMO...since we'll have more choices the NC makers are going to have to compete for our business with the Cubans as I'm sure a lot of cigar smokers will make a switch...of course, that could raise the prices of the CC's because of supply and demand, but that could still put the domestic market in the position of having to woo us a little more, with better product and pricing...
Old 03-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #49
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Iirc, pre-embargo cc's were nearly all, if not all, made with Connecticut wrappers.
Criollo until about mid '30s. At which point they developed Corojo (derivative of Criollo), which became their staple until the big changeover in late '90s.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #50
GDeAngelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
What's to fear about it? Chances are with an influx of CC's it might put the NC's in the position of being more competitive in their pricing and lower our costs IMO...since we'll have more choices the NC makers are going to have to compete for our business with the Cubans as I'm sure a lot of cigar smokers will make a switch...of course, that could raise the prices of the CC's because of supply and demand, but that could still put the domestic market in the position of having to woo us a little more, with better product and pricing...
That is one of my fears. I enjoy the prices that I pay. I feel if Embargo is lifted, supply and demand will increase. The quality could potentially suffer and the prices increase. There are plenty of non-Cuban cigars I enjoy. I just can't justify the cost of them in comparison. I also feel cigars, like everything else, has become a market of advertising and "this is the best". I'd admit my largest fear is potential quality loss, price increase, another thing to get taxed and the loss of relationships I've built with my sources. The "status" I could care less about.

-Gianni-
Old 03-13-2010, 12:14 AM   #51
OSV

Im guessing the prices for Non cubans would go down.. which is GIANT PLUS for me lol
wonder what would become of company's like Padron or AF.. 5 dollar opus x !!!! can't wait! haha