Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough
Default Maturing with age

It doesn't happen with everyone but it happens to most of us. I've certainly met some very immature older people and I've met some very mature young people but for the most part we all follow a certain path.

"If you're under 25 and not a liberal you don't have a heart, if you're over 30 and not a conservative you don't have a brain"

Don't get excited this is not political in any way. I'm 38 (soon to be 39) and maybe it's from all the medical issues i've dealt with but it's forced me to mature and change at a much quicker pace. I am enjoying this "maturity" though.

It's funny, but when I was younger I was more certain of the world and where I stood in it than I am now. Now, I'm less certain of the world and where I stand but I am more certain now of my faith than ever. When you're young you believe (or want to believe) so hard in your rightness and not only that but in your desire to make everyone see and feel just like you. As i've aged and experienced so much i've mellowed down quite a bit. I've learned that this moment right now may be important but i understand that it may not be the MOST important moment and that life is a series of moments and there is always the chance that more is down the road still. When you're young you have this kamikaze ideology that right now is all that matters and that there may be no tomorrow so living RIGHT NOW is all there is. I heard a football player once say that you have to let the game come to you and not try to force the game into any direction. In other words take what's given to you and do the very best with that.

I'm finding that I truly enjoy letting life come to me and to take the very best of what's been given to me. Don't get me wrong I still have passion about what I believe but I'm just less concerned with trying to make people see the world my way. We all have a journey and for the majority of us we all take this journey and ultimately end up in the same place later on. I find the people who ultimately get lost are those who lack a basic foundation like family, faith and so on. They get lost and ultimately cling to an ideology as an alternative to that basic foundation. The problems with ideology is that it doesn't give you any wiggle room so it's very rigid and it ultimately gives you all the answers. there's no room for "I don't know" and sometimes "I don't know" is the best answer you will ever get. But, growing up with a good foundation and not clinging to an ideology for answers I've understood that it's okay to get the answer "I don't know" to a larger question.

I don't have all the answers and it's okay. I'm less certain of the world and where it will end up, or where it will end, or if it will end and so on. I can only answer that I have Faith in God that we are being guided into a direction and there is a much larger picture to all of this and it's beyond my scope of understanding and that's okay. I like being older, less militant, and a little more mature about life. I certainly DO NOT like the physical effects of being older but in the end that's okay too.

Would I do it all again? NO WAY!!! I would do it all differently but i wouldn't NOT go through it once and once is all we ever get. I hope you've enjoyed my little reflection about life. I guess that's just the mood i'm in today and would love to hear what you have to say about your life and how you got to where you are today. God Bless you all!
Old 12-13-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Maturing with age

Good read, good insight, Jason. It's good to reflect, and be aware. Sounds lke your faith will handle the rest.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote