Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road
Default LFD Coronado Lancero

Today was beautiful. and considering my wife and I had zero plans, I decided to smoke a larger format cigar/drink a few beers in the sunshine.

cigar: LFD Coronado
beverage of choice: God bless Texas

This a great looking smoke! huge too. The wrapper is a deep red.fairly dark, but not like a maduro. You can't see it in the pic but it also has a cool little pigtail.

The band is huge too, and cool looking, but unfortunately it fell off prior to lighting

I didn't get anything really interesting right away. good quality tobacco flavor with a little sweetness and just a hint of woody cedar. not a bad start.

over halfway through and the sweetness starts to pick up, but I was hoping for more of that cedar. still very satisfying though. burn and construction are perfect. I think I paid about $10 for this, and even though I'm not blown away by the flavor, it tastes and smokes like a $10 cigar. so I feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of it.

I'm getting near the end here and the flavor hasn't changed much. but now it's starting to taste more like a LFD. burn and construction have been perfect from start to finish.

final thoughts: This was a very satisfying cigar that was fun to smoke and cool looking too. The construction was just perfect and the taste was good enough to keep me interested until the end. still, I have to give the flavor a B+ instead of an A because there wasn't anything really unique about it.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
tx_tuff

Default Re: LFD Coronado Lancero

Thanks for the review, its been to long since I have smoked one of these!
Old 09-28-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Had one of these last night, gifted by Shilala. I have to say that I feel terribly spoiled when I get to enjoy one of Scott's aged sticks. This one was a rare treat as well.

First, the construction was superb. Leaden in the hand, like a solid bar of metal. The wrapper a seasoned, dark nutella brown that spoke of deep aging. The fragrance at either end, after cutting was strong with raisins and the musty odors of the making of sweet wine.

It lit like it was born to it, and the first third was the first act in an opus; minor notes of currants, ginger and cinnamon on top of a rich, molasses sweetness, working to set up the story.

The second act was a more organized template of dried fruit and what floated between marzipan and the flavor of an excellent scone, And yet, through all this there was no cloying sweetness which overwhelmed; a well-conducted orchestra kept every part in harmony.

The final act continued the theme, but upped the energy, and in that action flavors became muddled; some bitterness and a sour undertone crept in. It didn't completely ruin my enjoyment of the last third, but the net effect was that I found myself wishing it could have stayed more like the first two thirds.

Upon removing the band, my suspicion that this was a well-aged stick was confirmed; it was slightly discolored inside and stained nicely at the glue joint.

A beautiful cigar made better by Scott's care. If you're ever lucky enough to sample one, you won't forget it.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Thank you for the great reviews. Will keep an eye on this stick for sure. Love the Lancero size myself
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
dozer
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Justin
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
dozer is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a great day...I have one of these in my humi that I will have to try.
dozer is offline   Reply With Quote