Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough
Default Plasma or LCD?

So I'm about to embark upon the HD TV experience. Just looking for general opinions. Which do you valued forum posters like better, a plasma or LCD tv? I'm going to go with at least a 46" flat panel, and it will be 1080p.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
Darrell

Default Re: Plasma or LCD?

Spending that hazardous duty/hostile fire/tax free pay well I see.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

It really depends on size IMO. But if you are going 50 or bigger I would most definitely go Plasma.

Before I bought my plasma I did a fair amount of research on www.AVSForum.com and got some GREAT technical information on going High Def.

Good choice on the 1080P bro
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Spending that hazardous duty/hostile fire/tax free pay well I see.
I'm going with the Per Diem payment when I get home actually. But yeah, I'm treating myself (and I suppose the wife as well) to a new TV. We are currently using an exceptionally old and crappy 27" so it's time for an upgrade. We owe it to ourselves!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
mash
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
mash is on a distinguished road

I have both. Plasma is definitely a nicer, more life-like picture. But, the room has to be dark, and I wouldn't advise gaming on it. Still some concern re: static images and burn-in.
mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
Good choice on the 1080P bro
My wife was sending some links for 720p, but I didn't want to go with a technology that has already been replaced.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbejon View Post
I'm going with the Per Diem payment when I get home actually. But yeah, I'm treating myself (and I suppose the wife as well) to a new TV. We are currently using an exceptionally old and crappy 27" so it's time for an upgrade. We owe it to ourselves!!!
I bought my first iPOD with my Per Diem from a TDY to Okinawa. That was back when the biggest one was like 30GB and cost $400.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

When I upgraded I looked at both plasma and LCD. Plasma has a higher burn in rate and won't last as long as the LCD according to what I researched. I hope this helps some. LCDs are cheaper too.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
Alee

Instead of choosing one and eliminating one choice completely, I would look at specific TVs from a spec, price, and quality standpoint and then go from there.

Or just buy a pioneer elite.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)

I have read that the burn in problem has been corrected, for the most part anyway. I've also read a lot of good things on the shelf life of plasmas now. I guess there is only one way to really find out if all that's true now.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #11
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Plasma by far. Burn ins were a thing of the past. New sets also have extended lives of up to 100,000 hours. If you're hitting the slope, go with something you won't regret. Start with 50". Panasonic makes a damn nice 50" and can be had for <$1300 if you search around. I have a Panny 42" that's 4 years old and it still wows me. LCDs are getting better, especially the 120 Hz models. I like the warm plasma look though. Nothing smaller than 1920x1080.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #12
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Plasma by far. Burn ins were a thing of the past. New sets also have extended lives of up to 100,000 hours. If you're hitting the slope, go with something you won't regret. Start with 50". Panasonic makes a damn nice 50" and can be had for <$1300 if you search around. I have a Panny 42" that's 4 years old and it still wows me. LCDs are getting better, especially the 120 Hz models. I like the warm plasma look though. Nothing smaller than 1920x1080.
I second this
Old 11-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #13
Clampdown
I Cut Like a Buffalo

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
Clampdown will become famous soon enough

I picked up a 50 inch Vizio plasma from Costco. I love the damn thing. However, it can make the room very warm if left on for an extended period of time.
Clampdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #14
Studebaker
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Studebaker is on a distinguished road

I went with plasma when I took the plunge early this year. And I went with a Panasonic 42" 1080p. The screen has an anti-reflective coating so bright room glare is minimized too. Plasma has a wider viewing angle than LCD, which was another of my requirements. The set I got really fits my needs and wows me too, even though conventional wisdom says a 42" is too small to show the full glory of 1080p.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #15
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Plasma, no doubt.

The best LCD's have about a 50,000-to-1 dynamic contrast ratio; plasma has 1,000,000-to-1. Meaning you'll get a better picture, higher contrast and truer blacks with plasma.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #16
mash
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
mash is on a distinguished road

Another piece of advice. Like a humi, go bigger than you think. In order to really appreciate 1080p, you need to be closer than with a CRT. The larger the TV, the further away you can sit.
mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #17
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

It depends on what you are looking to do.

Do you game? Want to use it a computer monitor? Then maybe LCD is a better choice.

Do you want a more realistic picture (less BOOM than LCD) with truer colors and blacks? A warmer picture? Maybe plasma then.

That being said, I have a 42inch Panasonic plasma that I am extremely happy with. Mine is a 720p. I sit about 8 feet away and the difference between 720p and 1080p at that size, at that distance is negligible. At the time there was about a $500 price difference which was 50% more. Plus I have no 1080p sources (except for Dish On Demand movies, which I have never rented).

As it was stated before permanent imagine retention (burn in) is pretty much a thing of the past unless you crack the hell out of the contrast and leave a static image up for a ridiculously long time.

I would be more concerned about getting something with PLENTY of HDMI inputs. Mine has 3, but only two are in the back so I had to pick up an HDMI switcher.
AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #18
mugwump
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
mugwump is on a distinguished road

I went through this a few years back and settled on a 42" Panasonic 720p plasma. Wider viewing angle and better picture sealed it for me. If you do go with a plasma just go easy for the first 100 or so hours -- avoid static images for long periods of time, etc. Once you're past that point you can pretty much go nuts with no permanent ill effects. I game heavily on my plasma and have never had any burn-in issues.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #19
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

I would say - go look at them and decide what looks best to you. I bought a Sony Bravia LCD last year and am thoroughly pleased. Excellent picture and people often comment on it.

Couple of Notes:

Always check the specs and features of the sets - don't go with just a 1080 whatever. Look at refresh rates, speakers, inputs, outputs, etc etc.
HDMI inputs - the more the better and use them!
You may get a 1080 set - but know that not all broadcast, cable, etc signals are in 1080. Some of the HD channels I get are in 720.
Surge protection - you about to make an investment - buy a surge protector. I have a whole house unit on my circuit panel plus a plug in on my Sony.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #20
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

I bought my 60" Hitachi plasma 1080P about 6 months ago. It has an absolutely stunning picture.The image burn is a thing of the past. My TV will get a 100,000 hours until you get half life which they say is still a great picture . So thats about 15 to 20 years of excellent quality TV. The half life which should be another 10 years of great TV. I would definitely go plasma and go BIG!!. I bought the biggest they had at the time.I believe you can get a 65" plasma know days. I LOVE MY PLASMA.