Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Troops Room

Old 10-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #41
smelvis
Not part of the Clique

Trading: (16)
smelvis has disabled reputation
Default Re: 2-14 Cavalry, FOB Cobra Iraq

Hey Chappy
I send to several Chaplins you being one, you are a deployed service member and any I send are for you as well as the rest of your men & Women. I think you or Gunny once said the cigars brings the people to you who would otherwise not come to see you. I think this is Great!!

Your integrity is above reproach as far as I am confirmed, Period!

You also have the means to organize cigar outings which is also great. On my end I would never even think such a thing. I am surprised a man of God would be accused of such a thing after all you do for your Men and Women I am more than a little offended at this.

You have my faith my friend and I trust you with my life!

Dave
smelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #42
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Brother: I am unaware of anyone impuning your integrity! Perhaps there was a misunderstanding somewhere along the line?

I have sent boxes to over 25 different people, 15 on a monthly basis. It is my hope that these people share what I send them. But, I expect them to partake in what I send THEM! They are a conduit, but they are part of the group that we at CA support! None of us have any problem with the receiver of the box to take some cigars and candy/coffee/nuts etc etc for their personal use. I imagine if the recipient kept all the goodies for himself, our contacts would be fat with hacking coughs!

So, hopefully all we have here is " a failure to cmmuncate."

Stay safe, God Bless You and all the troopers, enjoy your boxes from the asylum and happy smokes!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #43
smelvis
Not part of the Clique

Yeah one of my resents went to you Chappy Enjoy!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:31 AM   #44
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jim "Chappy"
Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
jjmitchem will become famous soon enoughjjmitchem will become famous soon enough

Hotreds

Thanks for the response - I got your box, mail here is getting further apart. Thanks!!

As far as the insinuation - I don't want to draw this out any further, a pm was sent to me accusing someone else of possibly implying this (which I never got from any postings) which sounded like a way for this person to imply this. I just wanted to make this very clear to all on here that these cigars are going to the Soldiers who deserve them and that I will not name names.

I do not want this to take away from the incredible support this forum is showing nor the deserving recipients that our Soldiers are.

With that being said - your impact continues to grow here at Cobra. Almost daily I see another new face stare in awe at our Cobra Coolidor and almost drool .
I foresee the job here getting tougher and more demanding as we prepare for the final withdrawal and the closing of FOBs around Iraq and the little things like an hour of relaxation with a cigar and good friends make it bearable

Chappy
Old 10-27-2010, 01:54 AM   #45
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

Army (Active)
jjmitchem will become famous soon enoughjjmitchem will become famous soon enough

And Smelvis too for his support!!!!!

Wasn't paying attention to all the posts - internet here has been really bad and haven't had much access lately

Thanks Brother!!

Last edited by jjmitchem; 10-27-2010 at 02:02 AM.
jjmitchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #46
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

Army (Active)

Just received a box from OLS!!

Thanks!! got some great cigars in there - the guys will love them!!
Old 10-31-2010, 05:15 AM   #47
nick2021
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (17)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
nick2021 is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear you all got some good smokes at cobra, would rather be there than hee at Balad (too close to the flag pole if you know what I mean).
Old 11-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #48
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

Army (Active)

Just received some more boxes from hotreds and rrplasencia - Great Cigars!!!

Thanks Guys

Had one of our Soldiers at Cigar Night last night with a "good" camera, will post that pic when he gets it too me
Old 11-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #49
Secret Santa
Ho Ho Ho

Trading: (0)
Secret Santa will become famous soon enoughSecret Santa will become famous soon enough

Santa is a big fan of the troops!

Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #50
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Thanks to Chappy and the 2-14 for the nice certificate and coin! I will safeguard these with pride for the troop supporters here at CA! Appears these were mailed in mid August-- so ship everything over there by air, y'all!

Old 11-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #51
smelvis
Not part of the Clique

Hugh
Don't that just make you proud bro! Sweet!
Old 12-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #52
Proud Army Mom

Hello Chaplain,

My son is currently serving as a medic with the 2-14 and has mentioned you specifically and cigar night couple of times. It's nice to put a face with the name…and the cigars (-:

1st - I would like to present you with a personal "Thank you" for providing spiritual guidance and prayers for my soldier.... I try to encourage him to talk to God often and lean on Him for support, guidance, and sound decision-making. Your presence as a chaplain is very important and I am relieved that the US Army continues to share the same mindset.

2nd - Cigars…What kind would you suggest if I should start a movement with my family to send cigars? It will be fun to surprise my son with a good supply to share.

Thank you again and May God bless you and keep you safe.
Yvonne
Old 12-20-2010, 01:55 AM   #53
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

Army (Active)

Yvonne

Sent you an email. Thank you for the kind words. Believe me when I say I am the one being blessed serving with these guys!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #54
guitar4001
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
VR Army (Active)
guitar4001 is on a distinguished road

Our chaplain was instrumental in our cigar program last year in afghanistan. He also kept me sane with his wisdom and humor. god bless the chaplain corps and stay safe.
guitar4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:54 PM   #55
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

Army (Active)

Thanks Paul

But I am the one that is blessed with this job
Old 12-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #56
guitar4001
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
VR Army (Active)
guitar4001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmitchem View Post
Thanks Paul

But I am the one that is blessed with this job
hooah
guitar4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #57
soaknfused

I just joined this forum to say hi to Cigar 6. I called FOB Cobra home for over a year back in 2004-2005 (CHU 168 to be exact) while deployed there (1-128 IN from WI). As much as it pains me to say this I kind of miss that hole in the ground lol... I would love to see some updated pictures of the place or hear how it has changed since we left.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:03 AM   #58
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

Army (Active)

Hi soaknfused

Cobra has come a long way since you were here. We have a DFAC, Laundry an MWR, internet and the chapel, no px though. Its still small but we love it since we are pretty much by ourselves. Our SCO is the highest ranking on the FOB.

Jim
Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #59
soaknfused

So you mean you have a "proper" DFAC now? lol.... we had a plywood shack that had seating for about 50-75 at a time and the cooks prepared the food in another smaller building that was out back, not far from where the burning pit was (great combination I know)

We also had a MWR area with computers, phones, pool table and so on in one of the pre-existing hard buildings and we built a boxing ring in front of it for our Thursday night fights we had.. those were good times and the chapel was a tent (like our gym) right across from the MWR building. Laundry was done 3 pieces of clothing at a time in washing machines that were bought off the local economy and placed in our shower trailers, so each company living area had a 4 stall shower setup and a "washroom" in the trailer that had 4-5 open top washing machines that sort of worked.

On a high note, we all had wireless internet that we bought off a local who lived on the FOB with us, we each paid $60 per month but it was nice to have.. and like you said, it was very nice to not have so much brass around, it was a no solute FOB and the highest ranking officer we had was the SCO of the Cav unit we were attached to and he was awesome... Was always an odd experience going to Caldwell or Anaconda and having to salute or not smoke while walking etc etc