Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
darkleeroy
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Josh
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
darkleeroy is on a distinguished road
Default Wineador Questions

Hey guys, I'm currently in the market for a Wineador, and have a couple of questions.

1st - How much does ambient humidity and temperature affect your units. The reason why I'm thinking of starting a wineador is to battle the extremely high temperatures that happen in my apartment (we're talking 77F at the lowest with the AC at full blast in the summer). Likewise ambient humidity can spike also.

2nd - How much am I looking to store with a 28 bottle wine cooler. Because of the availability of Chas's drawers, I'm going to keep it simple and getting a 28 bottle wine cooler for my cigars. How many boxes did it take for you guys to get yours filled.

3rd - Will four double trays and 3 single trays stabilize the humidity themselves, or would I still need to fill the box with boxes to avoid humidity fluctuation? And if I do, about what percent of the cooler should be filled before I can expect stability?

Thanks for your answers ahead of time guys.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (84)
lbowles2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wineador Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleeroy View Post
Hey guys, I'm currently in the market for a Wineador, and have a couple of questions.

1st - How much does ambient humidity and temperature affect your units. The reason why I'm thinking of starting a wineador is to battle the extremely high temperatures that happen in my apartment (we're talking 77F at the lowest with the AC at full blast in the summer). Likewise ambient humidity can spike also.
Can't really give feedback on the temperature as I keep mine in the basement and not plugged in. As for the humidity Shilala beads keep mine rock solid at 65%. Of course you have a drop when you open the door but the beads recover nicely.

Quote:
2nd - How much am I looking to store with a 28 bottle wine cooler. Because of the availability of Chas's drawers, I'm going to keep it simple and getting a 28 bottle wine cooler for my cigars. How many boxes did it take for you guys to get yours filled.
When I got my 4 double drawers from chasden I inventoried what I had. Between loose sticks and boxes I had about 400 cigars with room left over but not much. You can fit more or less in it depending on what you smoke. If you smoke mostly robustos or smaller you will be able to fit more in.

Quote:
3rd - Will four double trays and 3 single trays stabilize the humidity themselves, or would I still need to fill the box with boxes to avoid humidity fluctuation? And if I do, about what percent of the cooler should be filled before I can expect stability?
The main thing you will need to worry about once you get the drawers is getting them seasoned. Once they are seasoned they will help the Shilala beads do there thing. That is a combination you can't really go wrong with.

You mention 4 double and 3 singles. My thoughts on that is the singles don't use the space as wisely... but that's just my thoughts. Do you plan on buying boxes in the future?? If so I would go with the doubles and buy one shelf to stack boxes onto.

Here is a pic of mine:
Old 08-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
bsmokin
Slippin... Fast.

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (15)
RA
bsmokin is on a distinguished road

I would agree with Larry on all points. Sounds information based on my experience as well.

As for plugging it in...

With large temp and humi swings in the ambient air you are likely to get condensation in the unit. Many people deal with this ok. There is a lot on the forums about this sort of thing... here is one good post to check out: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...t=condensation

The all cedar chasen drawers will definitely help with the humidity stabilization. I estimate 400-500 cigar capacity for these things based on my experience.
bsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

I agree with Larry also.

My temp in my house is like yours 77 at the coldest. I have condensation and have a catch for it on the back wall of my vino going into a seperate pan. I do not recycle the condensation back into my beads. It can crack them if too much gets on them at once and its not garanteed distilled.
I was going to go with a three doubles and two singles, but now that I read Larry's post, the doubles do use the space more wisely. SO I like his set up and going with four doubles and a shelf for boxes.
I put 2 fans on the lower level of my vino for circulation so I lost a littl space, but my bead trays, and water catch are as tall as the fans so its used space.

thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
bsmokin
Slippin... Fast.

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (15)
RA
bsmokin is on a distinguished road

Shawn,

Sweet fan setup. You should consider building some of those and selling them. I would consider buying that for my fridge. Very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebayratt View Post
I agree with Larry also.

My temp in my house is like yours 77 at the coldest. I have condensation and have a catch for it on the back wall of my vino going into a seperate pan. I do not recycle the condensation back into my beads. It can crack them if too much gets on them at once and its not garanteed distilled.
I was going to go with a three doubles and two singles, but now that I read Larry's post, the doubles do use the space more wisely. SO I like his set up and going with four doubles and a shelf for boxes.
I put 2 fans on the lower level of my vino for circulation so I lost a littl space, but my bead trays, and water catch are as tall as the fans so its used space.

bsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote