Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
kevind587
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
kevind587 is on a distinguished road
Default Vintage cigars

I recently obtained 18 vintage cigars when I purchased an antique tin that apparently had not been opened in a number of years. I know at least one of the cigars (La Palina) is pre-1926, but I'm not sure about any of the others. Is there anyone out there who considers themselves an expert on vintage cigars and is willing to give me some info on these cigars? I don't plan on trying to smoke any of them, but would like to know more about them before I put them on display in a glass humi jar.

Thanks in advance -
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vintage cigars_small.jpg (37.8 KB, 279 views)
kevind587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Vintage cigars

Look like clear Havanas, which were legally sold in the U.S. before the embargo. The 10th from the left is a Muriel, a regular production cigar during that period.

This resource will potentially be much more helpful than I can:

http://gothamcigarmuseum.com/clear-h...lectibles.html

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

i say smoke em.
You only live once.....
Old 01-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Look like clear Havanas, which were legally sold in the U.S. before the embargo. The 10th from the left is a Muriel, a regular production cigar during that period.

This resource will potentially be much more helpful than I can:

http://gothamcigarmuseum.com/clear-h...lectibles.html

Batman approves of this link.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #5
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Muriel cigars were rather famous for their TV commercials, which were considered rather risqué back then. I like the one with Stan Getz, the jazz player...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y7EbLIdE88Q
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #6
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Muriel cigars were rather famous for their TV commercials, which were considered rather risqué back then. I like the one with Stan Getz, the jazz player...

Mods: sorry for the double post...

Last edited by Wharf Rat; 01-04-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
i say smoke em.
You only live once.....
I'm with Nutcracker on this or I will smoke them and provide my thoughts
Old 01-05-2017, 02:30 AM   #8
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

is Joe still around? He knows a lot about these things http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/member.php?u=451
Old 01-05-2017, 10:02 AM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
is Joe still around? He knows a lot about these things http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/member.php?u=451
Shows 4 years since his last log in.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 01-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Smoke a couple of them just to say you have smoked cigar that are that old. A few cigars short is not going to change your display.

Make sure to give them at least 3 weeks in the humidor before lighting. It'll be a good learning experience. Vintage cigars taste a lot different and they aren't for everyone.

Let us know what happens!
Old 01-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Place them in a humidor for a while to soak-up a little humidity, and then enjoy the *ell out of them
Old 01-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #12
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post

Love these old commercials.

As for the OP, I like the idea of displaying them in a glass jar. Couldn't be any good to smoke after so many years of neglect.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #13
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Hi, guys. Sorry I've been away so long. I'm battling health issues, the nature of which I won't bore you with. I missed the camaraderie and the friendships I nurtured here.

To the OP, Kevin; I need a graphically better photo than the one you provided to make an educated guess. The reason it will be a guess (albeit imbued with some fairly extensive knowledge of very old cigars; I have boxes over 100 years old) is that, unfortunately, you didn't receive the boxes for these, and those (along with the tax stamps on them) are what tell the true story of an old cigar's age and provenance.

I can tell right off the top that you have two genuine Clear Havana, long-filler sticks there; the two wrapped in foil. That was expensive back then, and reserved for very special cigars. The rest, well...it's hard to say. They certainly do seem to be of the era in which a lot of US-rolled cigars used Cuban tobacco. But many more of them used tobacco from CT, PA, OH, and other states. That doesn't mean they're not desirable; but the "clear" Havanas, or especially the Bonded Havanas are premium.

I would be grateful if you could capture a clearer, high-quality photo, close-up, of the lot. I could probably tell you more by examining the bands and other aspects. I am by no means the definitive expert on this, but as I said I collect them extensively and have acquired valuable knowledge over the 40+ years that I have smoked hand-made cigars.

One more thing; On NYE, I have a tradition of picking one stick out of my "oldies" humidor, and smoking it. Last 31 January, I smoked a White Owl, non-punched, long-filler cigar. These attributes denote a quality smoke for the time. The cigar came to me unboxed, but I estimate it (and its companion, still in my humidor, to be a 1940s-1950s stick. As you would imagine, it was light on the palate, but through the nose I was delighted to find nuance and flavor. Not bad at all for a stick as old as 70+yrs.

So here's my advice regarding keeping/smoking these:

Humidify them at 70% (with beads) and keep them cool to keep them from bursting or bulging...for as long as six months to a year. These cigars often come to us from estate sales, and they are by and large not curated as we would now. They'll need time in a TLC environment in order to restore as much as they can be. I recommend a humidor lined with Spanish cedar; don't keep them in the tin unless you open the top, nor in glass, to prevent mold.

If they are in very bad shape, they may never come back completely. If they were kept at least in a cool, dark place, you may be able to restore them close to their original states. Certainly, they will not approach the strength nor vitality of more recent cigars, curated properly all their lives. Don't let that stop you.

Either way, after whatever time you deem enough, smoke one. You might be delighted and surprised by it.

Meantime, please try to publish a higher-quality photo. I'd love to have a closer look.

I'll make an effort to be around more often than every four years. No promises, though.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:13 PM   #14
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
Hi, guys. Sorry I've been away so long. I'm battling health issues, the nature of which I won't bore you with. I missed the camaraderie and the friendships I nurtured here.

To the OP, Kevin; I need a graphically better photo than the one you provided to make an educated guess. The reason it will be a guess (albeit imbued with some fairly extensive knowledge of very old cigars; I have boxes over 100 years old) is that, unfortunately, you didn't receive the boxes for these, and those (along with the tax stamps on them) are what tell the true story of an old cigar's age and provenance.

I can tell right off the top that you have two genuine Clear Havana, long-filler sticks there; the two wrapped in foil. That was expensive back then, and reserved for very special cigars. The rest, well...it's hard to say. They certainly do seem to be of the era in which a lot of US-rolled cigars used Cuban tobacco. But many more of them used tobacco from CT, PA, OH, and other states. That doesn't mean they're not desirable; but the "clear" Havanas, or especially the Bonded Havanas are premium.

I would be grateful if you could capture a clearer, high-quality photo, close-up, of the lot. I could probably tell you more by examining the bands and other aspects. I am by no means the definitive expert on this, but as I said I collect them extensively and have acquired valuable knowledge over the 40+ years that I have smoked hand-made cigars.

One more thing; On NYE, I have a tradition of picking one stick out of my "oldies" humidor, and smoking it. Last 31 January, I smoked a White Owl, non-punched, long-filler cigar. These attributes denote a quality smoke for the time. The cigar came to me unboxed, but I estimate it (and its companion, still in my humidor, to be a 1940s-1950s stick. As you would imagine, it was light on the palate, but through the nose I was delighted to find nuance and flavor. Not bad at all for a stick as old as 70+yrs.

So here's my advice regarding keeping/smoking these:

Humidify them at 70% (with beads) and keep them cool to keep them from bursting or bulging...for as long as six months to a year. These cigars often come to us from estate sales, and they are by and large not curated as we would now. They'll need time in a TLC environment in order to restore as much as they can be. I recommend a humidor lined with Spanish cedar; don't keep them in the tin unless you open the top, nor in glass, to prevent mold.

If they are in very bad shape, they may never come back completely. If they were kept at least in a cool, dark place, you may be able to restore them close to their original states. Certainly, they will not approach the strength nor vitality of more recent cigars, curated properly all their lives. Don't let that stop you.

Either way, after whatever time you deem enough, smoke one. You might be delighted and surprised by it.

Meantime, please try to publish a higher-quality photo. I'd love to have a closer look.

I'll make an effort to be around more often than every four years. No promises, though.
Whoa a cigar grand master just showed up. I sit stunned, educated, and humbled.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:47 AM   #15
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Welcome back Joe, I hope you're health issues aren't too serious
Old 01-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #16
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Good to see Joe back.

Cool lot of smokes!
Old 01-07-2017, 11:47 PM   #17
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

So good to "see" you, Joe!

Old 01-07-2017, 11:48 PM   #18
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Hopefully the OP shows back up to see the answers.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:01 AM   #19
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Maybe he was expecting someone to tell him they were worth a ton and be willing to buy them off him.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:04 AM   #20
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Maybe he was expecting someone to tell him they were worth a ton and be willing to buy them off him.
I will assume the best, and hope that kevind587 comes back for some info, and decides to become a part of our community.

But it wouldn't be the first time.