Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 01-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #61
tobii3

Default Re: Avatar

No sh*t it's raking in $$$$$. It costs you about $50 to go see a movie nowadays. 3D tacks on additional costs as well.

Ya gotta laugh.

Think about it. you wait a few weeks and you can watch the movie at home for what, $3.95??

You don't have to deal with ign'ant retards who talk on their cell phones, talk to the screen or talk to each other...you can PAUSE it when you need more beer (or a bathroom break)...you don't have to pay $5.25 for a 32 ounce Coke that costs you $0.99 at the gas station....a 24 pack of microwave popcorn costs you $5.00 at WalMart...versus a $9 bucket at the movies...

The way I figure, I have no need to ever set foot in a mugging ever again. I mean a movie theater.....
Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #62
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
No sh*t it's raking in $$$$$. It costs you about $50 to go see a movie nowadays. 3D tacks on additional costs as well.

Ya gotta laugh.

Think about it. you wait a few weeks and you can watch the movie at home for what, $3.95??

You don't have to deal with ign'ant retards who talk on their cell phones, talk to the screen or talk to each other...you can PAUSE it when you need more beer (or a bathroom break)...you don't have to pay $5.25 for a 32 ounce Coke that costs you $0.99 at the gas station....a 24 pack of microwave popcorn costs you $5.00 at WalMart...versus a $9 bucket at the movies...

The way I figure, I have no need to ever set foot in a mugging ever again. I mean a movie theater.....
While I may occasionally go to the movie theater (once every year or two), I couldn't agree with you more. For me, I've bolded what is MOST bothersome.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #63
mariogolbee

There are certainly reasons not to go to the theater. I go for the experience. If it's a movie like Stepbrothers or something similar then I wait for DVD. But it doesn't matter how pimp your home system is, it just can't compete with a top notch theater.

I don't normally pay full price either. There are options such as matinee's, promotional days, and discounted tickets from Costco, jobs, or schools.

There are always gonna be issues with other people. We can only control ourselves and not others. This fact doesn't keep me away from a B&M where sommeone might be smoking a stinky cigarette or dog rocket next to me. To each his own though. Personally, the theater experience is worth it to me once every other month or so.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #64
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
There are certainly reasons not to go to the theater. I go for the experience. If it's a movie like Stepbrothers or something similar then I wait for DVD. But it doesn't matter how pimp your home system is, it just can't compete with a top notch theater.

I don't normally pay full price either. There are options such as matinee's, promotional days, and discounted tickets from Costco, jobs, or schools.

There are always gonna be issues with other people. We can only control ourselves and not others. This fact doesn't keep me away from a B&M where sommeone might be smoking a stinky cigarette or dog rocket next to me. To each his own though. Personally, the theater experience is worth it to me once every other month or so.
You are right, Mario. Most movies are fine for home viewing.
But I seem to always have a theater seat in front someone who insists on yakking thru the movie and/or kicking my chair.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #65
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
You are right, Mario. Most movies are fine for home viewing.
But I seem to always have a theater seat in front someone who insists on yakking thru the movie and/or kicking my chair.
I do hate when that happens Peter. Even though I'm fairly gentle at 6'4 a sharp look after a polite request usually helps things though. I don't mind quite as much for children's flicks though.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #66
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
I do hate when that happens Peter. Even though I'm fairly gentle at 6'4 a sharp look after a polite request usually helps things though. I don't mind quite as much for children's flicks though.
Once again, I agree. However, I am only 5'7 so I only have the polite request and annoyed glare to work with. As for the children's movies, I expect the chatter. It's part of the enjoyment.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #67
mariogolbee

Quote:
Once again, I agree. However, I am only 5'7 so I only have the polite request and annoyed glare to work with. As for the children's movies, I expect the chatter. It's part of the enjoyment.
Note to self: Find out pnoon's shoe size and send him some platforms and pepper spray for his movie nights.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #68
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Note to self: Find out pnoon's shoe size and send him some platforms and pepper spray for his movie nights.
The platform shoes would be put to good use. Guys like you always manage to sit right in front of me.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #69
mariogolbee

Quote:
The platform shoes would be put to good use. Guys like you always manage to sit right in front of me.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #70
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

I'm the type that almost never makes it to the theater. Sure, I like the experience, but I just don't have time... and generally when I do have time, no one I want to go with has time. So most of my viewing ends up being at home.

With that said, I saw Avatar last week. I'm seeing it again next week. That is a movie that will take a big hit downgrading to the small screen.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #71
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post

Ya gotta laugh.

The one catch with waiting to see movies at home is that many of the 3D movies are not released in 3D for home. The movie "UP" would be really good to see in 3D at home.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:23 AM   #72
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Peter, you could douse yourself with cologne and smoke a Nub right before you go in... might create a clear zone around you.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #73
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazookajoe View Post
Peter, you could douse yourself with cologne and smoke a Nub right before you go in... might create a clear zone around you.
Esp. a woman's fragrance!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #74
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Esp. a woman's fragrance!
I have my own fragrance.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #75
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
I have my own fragrance.

Apparently, it's either not strong enough or not reliable enough to give you some peace and quiet in a movie theater. Try adding some lentils, barley, or brussel sprouts to your diet
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #76
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Apparently, it's either not strong enough or not reliable enough to give you some peace and quiet in a movie theater. Try adding some lentils, barley, or brussel sprouts to your diet
Doused in garlic!