Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road
Default I just discovered Coffee

First things first until a week ago I never drank a cup of coffee in my life. My fiance drinks coffee and we have a drip machine and a Keurig. I've always loved the smell of coffee for whatever reason I just never drank it.

Because I'm not the type to just leave well enough alone I start reading everything I can about coffee and decide since she seems to really enjoy coffee she deserves to enjoy "Better" Coffee.

Enter the Aeropress, Capresso Infinity Grinder and Unclebeanz Negrita coffee. The stars align and this stuff all arrives on the same day. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning and can't wait to do a trial run so I can show her how easy it is to brew a "Better" cup of coffee.

I do drink tea and love gadgets so we already own a Zojirushi CV-DSC40 water dispencer which I use to fill the Aeropress using the inverted method.This whole process is reminding me not only how much I enjoy a good cigar but also the art and ritual that goes into lighting it.

I'm starring down into the mug of my fresh brew and figure I should really taste this stuff. Flashing back again to how I discovered cigars by first loving the smell this is all seemingly to familiar to me. I have visions of the cliff ahead but still continue on topping off with hot water a touch of half/half and a sugar in the raw. I give it a quick stir and take my first sip.

By now you can see where this is going. It's been a week I haven't tried it pure black yet but I can tell this is the direction I'm heading. I'm now leaving out the sugar and using less half/half and enjoying 2-3 cups a day.

My fiance you wonder ? Well I set her up with a little unscientific blind taste test. A cup from the keurig, a cup of some ground kona blend from the drip and a cup from my newly discoverd Aunt Aero and Unclebeanz. She knows me well and that when I get into something I go into it full tilt so I'm sure shes trying to pick any other than the aeropressed cup but her honesty and tastebuds lead her to choose just that.

All of this leaves me with many thoughts. I already know I'll only purchase whole beans but what about roasting my own? I'm sure well keep the keurig for that quick cup on the run. I would like to find someone local( I'm in NJ) that owns a roaster and experience the process first hand.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, tips tricks ect... French Press, Moka pot, Expresso machine,Roaster, The rule of 15's and such.

Thanks for taking the time to read this !