Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 robusto

The looks of this 5 x 50 box pressed cigar is great, with the classy band and the dark habano wrapper, but when you look closer you can see that the wrapper is a bit wrinkled. This cigar is made from tobacco from the Dominican republic, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico and Costa Rica. The predraw is fine and gives me the flavor of dried wood.

I can taste wood and coffee, mostly wood though. After a centimeter I can taste some leather, a bit musty though, not very nice. Wood stays noticeable on the background. After an inch the cigar tastes like ash, I don’t like this at all. The ash flavor sticks with me till the halfway point, from there I taste nothing really for a while. At 2/3rd I taste some chocolate with a light pepper in my throat. The finale is nice with a fine coffee flavor.

The cigar is hard to lit and the draw is too easy. The amount of smoke is poor and has a bit brownish faint to it., but the white ash is quite firm. The burn is great.

Would I buy this cigar again? Simple answer: no

Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 6 / 10
Appearance: 8 / 10
Smoke && ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 9 / 10
Aroma (first part) 5 / 10
Aroma (second part) 6 / 10
Aroma (third part) 7 / 10
Old 04-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
Smoke Naked
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bill
Trading: (0)
CoastGuard (Served With Honor)
Smoke Naked is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 robusto

Nice Review and pics. Sucks about the flavor though.

♥ ♦ Palio Fanboy Here ♣ ♠
Smoke Naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

I'm pretty new at this so maybe I'm not a good judge. This was my first box pressed cigar. Also the most powerful I've tried yet. The kick from this smoke stayed with me for a good long time after it was gone. In fact I'm still feeling a little wobbly .
When I felt the firmness of the stick I thought it would never draw decently but I got plenty of smoke with no trouble. The burn wasn't razor sharp but i never needed to fix it or relight even though I let it sit longer than the milder cigars I've smoked. The flavors in this cigar made me think maybe this is what people mean by "complex". It changed throughout the smoke and even in two consecutive draws I was picking up different sensations. And I found myself reluctant to take a drink because I didn't want to wash away what was happening. Spicy yes and peppery but there was more to it than that. I identified a leather sensation at one point - first time I've actually been able to pin down any flavor other than pepper that precisely.
I've smoked cigars that I loved and when they were done I wished I could have another. This one filled me up. I liked it and I'll definitely smoke more of these but not everyday!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

ah, the wonders of a forum. I completely forgot about this cigar

Tim, smoking cigars is all about personal preferences, we all have different tastes, so we all like different cigars. Don't let my, or anybody elses, experiences with a cigar change your opinion. Most inmates here would say "smoke what you like, like what you smoke".
Old 07-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I have not been disappointed by a Carlos Torano stick yet. Great review brother!!
Old 07-10-2010, 04:25 AM   #6
ABNMP619

Carlos Torano has always been a favorite of the bunch. His Virtuoso is also another superb smoke. From beginning to end the flavors will make you grin with excitement. If you have not tried this one, gotta do it. His 50 year stick is also another one that is loved and of course the all time favorite Carlos Torano Silver. All are wonderful sticks.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

I am still relatively new to smoking Cigars and I am relatively new to the forums as well.

Thanks for your review. Interestingly enough, I had a very different experience with the same cigar. I guess I expect to experience different tastes than others on the forums. However, one thing I noticed is that the same cigar, for me, produced a lot of smoke, was incredibly smooth, and I believe the cigar had a lot of complexity. I think the complexity was due to the 5 different tobaccos used.

This smaller cigar kicked my butt, though. The smoothness of the cigar seemed to mask a lot of the strength.

Anyway, just thought I would add my different experience from a dude that has very little experience.
CRIMPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

I love the Silver!
Old 09-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

I tried a few of these and did not like them at all.

Torano has been a strange brand for me. I like their cheapest cigar (Dominico) and their most expensive cigar (Tribute) but none in between.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

If anyone has some Silver Exodus, lets do a trade!
Old 09-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
T.Rit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
I am still relatively new to smoking Cigars and I am relatively new to the forums as well.

Thanks for your review. Interestingly enough, I had a very different experience with the same cigar. I guess I expect to experience different tastes than others on the forums. However, one thing I noticed is that the same cigar, for me, produced a lot of smoke, was incredibly smooth, and I believe the cigar had a lot of complexity. I think the complexity was due to the 5 different tobaccos used.

This smaller cigar kicked my butt, though. The smoothness of the cigar seemed to mask a lot of the strength.

Anyway, just thought I would add my different experience from a dude that has very little experience.
This.

And I only smoke med. to full bodied cigars. but the exodus took me on a trip
Old 09-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
d'am
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
Bolivar
d'am is on a distinguished road

I've got a couple 1959's coming in a sampler. I loved the virtuoso, but now I'm a little worried. I'll have to come back and compare after I smoke one.
d'am is offline   Reply With Quote