Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #1901
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Shawn it's almost TOO good looking! That thing is about perfect.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:38 PM   #1902
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

Here is my most recent firearm purchase. It is the Beretta PX4 Storm, subcompact, 40 S&W. I carry this guy daily, concealed. It is light weight and compact. Extremely accurate too. The kicker is that the magazines from the full size model are compatible with this little guy. Which is great, since that is what I carry @ work. I threw my Palio in the pics for size comparison. The last pic is the Storm in my Galco ankle holster.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #1903
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Nice looking storm! I am thinking it is getting time to build another AR. This one will be my first ground up build. I am looking forward to it. I welcome any advice from those of you out there who have done this. Not to jack the thread here but if anyone has some timesaver tips or things they wish they knew in advance i would gladly welcome a PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #1904
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

Finally received my TT Gunleather IWB holster that I ordered at the end of July. Well, it seems to have been worth the wait!

Crappy iphone pic:
Old 02-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #1905
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Shawn it's almost TOO good looking! That thing is about perfect.
Shawn bring those pictures back! I wanted to show my wife what her hard earned money was going to buy!

Old 02-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #1906
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Are you doing a complete build upper and lower receiver or just lower?
Best thing I did was copy the instructions from arfcom, laid out all the parts and took my time. I started out just using the channel lock pliers method, now I have most of the right punches and tools. The arfcom tutorial will let you know what you need and how to do it all.

Worst thing I did was trying to put the stupid thing together after a 16hr shift! Those stupid retaining pins go flying all over the place, so wear your eye protection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_B View Post
Nice looking storm! I am thinking it is getting time to build another AR. This one will be my first ground up build. I am looking forward to it. I welcome any advice from those of you out there who have done this. Not to jack the thread here but if anyone has some timesaver tips or things they wish they knew in advance i would gladly welcome a PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #1907
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

LOL. Yeah I plan on upper and lower build. I would rather just buy the parts I want and then put it all together as apposed to what I have done in the past and start with parts I dont want and remove and replace.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:14 PM   #1908
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

I'll pm you the build link if you need it, not sure if it would be ok to post it here.

Good luck with the build !
Old 02-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #1909
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

do any of you guys have a gun from Spikes tactical? I have some money coming back from taxes and was thinking about getting a customized AR. Ive heard good things about them, and was wondering if any of you had experience with them.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #1910
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

If building an AR, I know http://www.model1sales.com has fantastic options and pricing. I've heard good things from guys who have bought from them as far as quality, but I have no first hand experience. The only thing they don't sell is the lowers. They do sell assembled uppers and lower parts kits combo, or just the upper (assembled or not).
Old 02-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #1911
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

Look back through this thread there are a few nice looking spikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
do any of you guys have a gun from Spikes tactical? I have some money coming back from taxes and was thinking about getting a customized AR. Ive heard good things about them, and was wondering if any of you had experience with them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #1912
safariguy
There's one. Set for stun

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
safariguy will become famous soon enoughsafariguy will become famous soon enough

After talking about it for a few years, I finally signed my wife up for the "Ladies Pistol" course at the Gunsite Academy in Arizona. I took a rifle class there a few years ago and it was worth every penny. I am going to buy her a S&W M&P 9 compact for the course. I highly recomend Gunsite to everyone. I've nothing bad to say about Front Site or any of the others; but Gunsite is the original started by Jeff Cooper. It is run in a very professional, yet friendly and low stress way. I was expecting it to be more like boot camp or the police academy but it was not at all. Incidently, I got to see the new Ruger Gunsite scout rifle last week at Ruger's booth at the SCI convention. It is the same concept as the Steyr Scout for about $1000 cheaper than the Steyr.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #1913
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Sweet Site glad I stumbled upon it...I have a Taurus PT 145 Millenium Pro, a Kurz .380/9mm Backup, and a Smith and Wesson 1911.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #1914
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

ordered a custom Spikes Tactical complete M4 on thursday. Can't wait to get it and will post pics when I get it.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #1915
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Just got this one home. DPMS AP4, rails and an angled foregrip are coming next week:

Old 02-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #1916
safariguy
There's one. Set for stun

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
safariguy will become famous soon enoughsafariguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
If building an AR, I know http://www.model1sales.com has fantastic options and pricing. I've heard good things from guys who have bought from them as far as quality, but I have no first hand experience. The only thing they don't sell is the lowers. They do sell assembled uppers and lower parts kits combo, or just the upper (assembled or not).
So here is a stupid question: Why do striped lowers have such a cost range? I realize that you generally get what you pay for in quality, but how can the same thing cost anywhere from $150 to $650? Are the cheap ones made out of compressed rust and the pricey ones made of titanium?
Old 02-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #1917
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
ordered a custom Spikes Tactical complete M4 on thursday. Can't wait to get it and will post pics when I get it.
Can't wait to the see the pictures. I plan on picking one up sometime this summer hopefully.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:14 AM   #1918
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

classic

The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either... The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

3. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

4. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46.'

5. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my shotgun.'

6. Beware the man who only carries one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

But wait, there's more!

I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said I did. She said 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!' To which I said, of course it is loaded, it can't work without bullets!' She then asked, 'Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?' My reply was, “No not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around, and they are all loaded too”.

HAVE A NICE DAY
Old 02-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #1919
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by safariguy View Post
So here is a stupid question: Why do striped lowers have such a cost range? I realize that you generally get what you pay for in quality, but how can the same thing cost anywhere from $150 to $650? Are the cheap ones made out of compressed rust and the pricey ones made of titanium?
That's the thing. Are the tolerances of the cheaper lowers that far from the tolerances of the better ones?
I would love to build an AR, and while I am a cheap bastard, I would like to be able to build something of fairly high quality without paying retail.
I know a few of you guys could probably point us to links. (Looks at J0ey....)
Old 02-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #1920
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
That's the thing. Are the tolerances of the cheaper lowers that far from the tolerances of the better ones?
I would love to build an AR, and while I am a cheap bastard, I would like to be able to build something of fairly high quality without paying retail.
I know a few of you guys could probably point us to links. (Looks at J0ey....)

Look at companies such as Spikes Tactical, BCM, Daniel Defense