Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-05-2023, 10:17 AM   #3661
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Hit up a few stores this morning. Found the Booker’s 23-04 for msrp. Snagged a bottle of ER for a friend too.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:15 AM   #3662
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Glad you found the Booker's, Bob.

A couple months back I bought a Knob Creek single barrel that was almost 11 years aged, as most being dumped now are less than 10 years. So the guy offered to throw in a different 9 year pick for another $30, and I said "sure, why not?"

I opened the "throw in" last night, and the crazy thing is it's much better than the older one. A little less oak but a lot more brightness and sweet notes. Go figure.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:27 AM   #3663
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Gotta like that. Nice score Tom.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:54 AM   #3664
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Went to meet a friend to drop off the two bottles of ECBP C923 I had for him. Hit up a couple stores I hadn’t been to before. They’re in a smaller downriver area from Detroit. First place didn’t have a huge selection, but they had three bottles of JD SiBBP rye. 135.9 proof. Snagged one of those, especially since it was $25 cheaper than my usual store. Second store had a smaller selection too, but was shocked to see both Stagg Jr, Blantons Gold and WFP on the shelf. Prices were too steep though.
Old 12-06-2023, 10:05 AM   #3665
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Bob, stores around me have Weller CYOB, Pappy 15 year, William Larue Weller, etc...and they will continue to have them at the outrageous prices they're asking.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 12-06-2023, 10:08 AM   #3666
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Bob, stores around me have Weller CYOB, Pappy 15 year, William Larue Weller, etc...and they will continue to have them at the outrageous prices they're asking.
The Stagg was $250. Didn’t ask about the rest.
Old 12-06-2023, 10:30 AM   #3667
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
The Stagg was $250. Didn’t ask about the rest.
At that price, you didn't need to.

Old 12-06-2023, 10:16 PM   #3668
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

Had a good two weeks of hunting. Two were from trades (Blantons), the rest at MSRP.

Old 12-07-2023, 06:10 AM   #3669
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Nice haul there!
Old 12-07-2023, 07:48 AM   #3670
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Boom goes the Weller, Tony! :

Old 12-07-2023, 08:22 AM   #3671
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

is that forester a texas only bottle?
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 10:58 AM   #3672
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
is that forester a texas only bottle?
Yes, due to the presence of King Ranch in south Texas. I like it, found it to be a bit sweeter in the taste.
Old 12-08-2023, 09:55 AM   #3673
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Ugh. Local store has EC18 on the shelf for not much over msrp. And what’s everyone’s thoughts on JD Sinatra?
Old 12-08-2023, 10:16 AM   #3674
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Ugh. Local store has EC18 on the shelf for not much over msrp. And what’s everyone’s thoughts on JD Sinatra?
I've been passing on EC18, msrp is too damn high these days and most bottles don't deliver but it's a single barrel and there are some good ones out there. JD Sinatra is an easy drinker but also an easy pass at the price. Makes for a good gift for somebody who doesn't drink a lot of bourbon, cool process of making it (they cut grooves in the staves to give more surface area when aging because "Sinatra liked the taste of oak") but the final product just isn't super special
Old 12-08-2023, 12:29 PM   #3675
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Thanks Ben, I passed on those. Did find a couple bottles today.

Old 12-08-2023, 04:39 PM   #3676
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Had a pour of Charlie’s Batch. Like it very much.

So the store I bought it from had a FB post about Bookers for $99 while supplies last. FYI, that’s msrp for Michigan. Normally they sell it for $159. Stopped in as I was going by there. Excited to see this bottle, since I have the other 3 from this year. Shop owner proceeds to tell me that “corporate” hasn’t updated the price in their POS system. He starts grabbing other bottles to make up for the difference rang up. Tell him I don’t want those other bottles. Takes about 15 minutes for them to figure it out, reset their system, etc, before I get it for the $99. Had it not been the Charlie’s Batch, I would’ve walked out. Shady af. Same place has the most outrageous museum prices for other bottles. Stagg Jr, $449, Blantons and EHT SB for $169. You get the idea. I won’t be going back.
Old 12-09-2023, 09:06 AM   #3677
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Nice pickups with the ECBP and Charlie's, Bob. Ben steered you right on the Sinatra and the EC18.

So I bought this Maker's Mark gift set of 375s because it has the 2019 Private Selection which is delicious. Also included are the 2023 Private Se;ection and 23-01 Cask Strength.

I opened the Cask Strength to pair with a cigar. I can see why this sells for $29 for a 750ml, it isn't very good.

I drank about 1/2 oz before pouring the rest of the pour into the sink. I didn't drain pour the bottle, I'll keep it for guests who want to try it. If they all hate it..... :LOL:

Opened the 2023 PS just to get a better pour. It's better by far than the CS, but doesn't touch the 2019 PS. Last years' gift set that had 3 years of Private Selections was much better.

Old 12-09-2023, 10:08 AM   #3678
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I’ll have to look for that gift set around me.

Ok, what’s everyone’s thoughts on Bakers 7? Starting to see it show up around my area. One place had some that was 8 years old.
Old 12-09-2023, 03:00 PM   #3679
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Well shoot. Someone take away my credit card.

Old 12-09-2023, 04:21 PM   #3680
physiognomy
Feeling at Home

ERdM
physiognomy will become famous soon enough

Not sure I’ve tried the ‘new’ SiB Bakers, Bob. Interested to hear what you think. The ‘old’ small batch bottles were generally great, imo.

Stood around in the cold this morning waiting to spin the whiskey wheel. Passed time sharing a couple Montes & Coffee BCBS with Ben. Good times!

physiognomy is offline   Reply With Quote