Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-01-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?

First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about
Default Converting Hydra LG to run on Beads

I tried searching in the forums and didn't see anything about this, but if I missed, please let me know.

I have a hydra lg that was gifted to me from a friend... I dislike using the green foam for part of my hydration (paranoia, w/e) and would like to convert this to use beads instead. Wondering if anyone has tried this? Is this even a good idea? Just looking for some ideas/help here.
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Converting Hydra LG to run on Beads

I have a Hydra LG, took the green stuff out and used some of those hydro water pearls instead, works like a charm, something like this http://www.magicwaterbeads.com/about.html
Old 10-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Just remove the foam -- which serves two purposes: keeps the water from sloshing and the pores in the foam release moisture faster than the water surface by itself would -- and replace with beads or gel or anything you want. You just need something that stores and releases moisture.

I would not go to the expense of expensive or RH regulated beads since the Hydra itself regulates RH I think it would reduce the overal effectiveness.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I have a Hydra LG, took the green stuff out and used some of those hydro water pearls instead, works like a charm, something like this http://www.magicwaterbeads.com/about.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Just remove the foam -- which serves two purposes: keeps the water from sloshing and the pores in the foam release moisture faster than the water surface by itself would -- and replace with beads or gel or anything you want. You just need something that stores and releases moisture.

I would not go to the expense of expensive or RH regulated beads since the Hydra itself regulates RH I think it would reduce the overal effectiveness.
Thanks to both of you! This is what I was looking for! I just wanted to make sure that this was a viable option. I was thinking the same thing about the beads, that I just was looking for something that was like ferdie's would be a good substitute, just wanted to know if the theory was going to match the practical before destroying a perfectly good hydra
Old 10-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
waffle

Ferdie, how much do you have in there, just filled to the top and refill the water when it gets low?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

You should have asked this last week, I would have added some of those hydro water pearls with the box of V maddies, I have more than I could use in my Hydra LG anyway.

Don't put too many water pearls in, than you will never be able to get your RH low enough.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
waffle

Quote:
You should have asked this last week, I would have added some of those hydro water pearls with the box of V maddies, I have more than I could use in my Hydra LG anyway.

Don't put too many water pearls in, than you will never be able to get your RH low enough.
Lol, well I didn't know I was getting a free hydra then! Do you use their packets? Just put in like 2?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

I bought some bags of cheap water pearls at a local shop. Emptied two of those bags in the hydra, added water and then my RH went skyhigh. Took about a third of the water pearls out, and the RH is at a steady 67 now. Once the water gets low, the hydra will sound an alarm, and you can fill her up again.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
waffle

Quote:
I bought some bags of cheap water pearls at a local shop. Emptied two of those bags in the hydra, added water and then my RH went skyhigh. Took about a third of the water pearls out, and the RH is at a steady 67 now. Once the water gets low, the hydra will sound an alarm, and you can fill her up again.
Thanks! I'll run by my local florist, pick up some flowers for the Mrs (never have enough brownie points!) and some water pearls as well!
Old 10-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

We were having a similar conversation about these water beads when I first joined.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35765
Old 10-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
We were having a similar conversation about these water beads when I first joined.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35765
Its different when you use them in a Hydra or Oasis. For this use they work as they are only a reservoir for the water. Super absorbent polymer sheets also work for this application.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Its different when you use them in a Hydra or Oasis. For this use they work as they are only a reservoir for the water. Super absorbent polymer sheets also work for this application.
I'm using them to just store water that will be used to regulate the humidity.. I'm not a fan of the green floral as it'll hide mold much easier than a clear bead ... In the case you were describing you were using it as a means of humidifying... if you haven't checked out a hydra/oasis unit, basically it is a tub of water with fans that turn on and off to control humidity... if its too high, they turn off, if its too low it kicks on and adds humidity... I've also added some 65% beads to soak up too much humidity... It may be overkill, it may be counter-productive, but its what I feel safe with so I'm doing it Also, if it starts to get out of whack, I'll take the 65% beads out.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
waffle

So, I've had the beads in the hydra for 3 days and I haven't had any issues with the humidity going crazy like Ferdie had, its too soon to say for sure, but right now I'm happy I made the change over!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Waffle, how big is your humi and how many of the 65% beads are you using? I"m thinking of putting my Humicare (Hydra copy) back in my cabinet, which has 2lbs of Shilala's beads in it. Right now it's holding around 64-65%, but loses humidity quick if I open the door. This has started happening since the furnace was turned on in the house. Earlier in the summer, it stayed a solid 67% and would barely move with the door open.

If I put the Humicare back in, I was thinking of replacing the foam with something else. The beads look interesting. Just wondering what you're thoughts were on them now that it's been a couple months.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #15
waffle

I'm having some issues actually, but its more that I'm lazy and don't like reloading HF beads... I'm getting some HCMs and I think I'm going to disconnect the fans as they seem to be skewing it as well.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #16
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Steve, I recently had an insert built for my cab and I disconnected the fans so it would fit.
Out of laziness, I took my time getting them set up again. It was a big mistake as I had some fluctuation issues.
How many lbs of beads do you have?
I have 4 in mine and with the hydra I almost never have to charge them. (only once since August).
Perhaps you have a leak?
I recently put weather stripping around my door not because I had a leak but I was in the hardware store and it was $3.
It feels like the door seals tighter but I dont know if its working for sure.
If you have a leak, HCM beads will be just as much of a headache as your heartfelt beads.
You can also recharge your heartfelt beads the same way you would HCM beads, if that makes it easier for you.
Hope this helps, Bud
Old 12-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #17
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

Old 12-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #18
waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
Steve, I recently had an insert built for my cab and I disconnected the fans so it would fit.
Out of laziness, I took my time getting them set up again. It was a big mistake as I had some fluctuation issues.
How many lbs of beads do you have?
I have 4 in mine and with the hydra I almost never have to charge them. (only once since August).
Perhaps you have a leak?
I recently put weather stripping around my door not because I had a leak but I was in the hardware store and it was $3.
It feels like the door seals tighter but I dont know if its working for sure.
If you have a leak, HCM beads will be just as much of a headache as your heartfelt beads.
You can also recharge your heartfelt beads the same way you would HCM beads, if that makes it easier for you.
Hope this helps, Bud
Actually I'm about 80% sure I have a leak... the weather stripping I bought was WAAAAAYYYYYYY too big and the door wouldn't even shut. I have ordered smaller weather stripping and it'll be here shortly, I'm going to take a look at it once I have the stripping in. I'm rocking 3.5 lbs of beads and .5 lb of HCM... I had the HCM in a humi I sold so, I just stuck them in there. I've had to recharge 4 times so far... almost 2 gal of water and I can't get the hydra to get an accurate reading its about 3 points too high at the lowest setting. I'll know more in a few days.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #19
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

My Hydra is about 7 points off at the lowest setting.
I just ignore the gauge and set the hydra according to my correction.
Hydra set at 72 and my humi holds at 64 -65.
I have another pack of the weatherstripping I used.
I can send it to you if you want.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #20
Bear
Just an other FNG

First Name: Marc
Trading: (4)
RA
Bear has disabled reputation

Green foam sucks...

Canadian Roll Call
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote