Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #21
Molly_Dog
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jack
Trading: (0)
LGC
Molly_Dog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Smoke eater candle

Hi all! Man!! I feel like I have embarked on a quest to find the meaning of life. All I want to do is find a reasonably inexpensive and simple way to minimize the odor from having an occasional cigar inside the backroom/patio of our Cape Cod-style home in which I live with my wife (a life-long non-smoker) and my mother-in-law (ditto with asthma on top).

I've done pretty well sticking to my guns of only smoking outside but we live in Buffalo, NY, (technically, Sloan) where the winters are pretty brutal. Supposed to be in the 20s tonight, I hear & I ain't getting any younger, as they say. My mother-in-law has said to me many times, "Just go ahead and smoke inside. It's not going to hurt anything." But I can't just do that with a clear conscience. I was a rabidly neat cigarette smoker for ~30 years. Quit a 3-3.5 pack-a-day habit cold turkey 4 years ago. Picked up cigars 2 years ago. I love'em but it's nice to not get the shakes every 10 minutes I can't have one, y'know?

Anyway. Our room in question is off the main house. It's roughly 15x15 with 6' windows on two sides. It has a roughly 10' dropped ceiling--roughly 2200 cubic feet. My proposal is this:

When I want to actually enjoy a cigar, close the only door that leads into the kitchen; open one of the windows; turn a 4' tall pedestal fan on its lowest speed blowing out the window (enough to coerce the smoke outside without trying to warm all outdoors); roll my desk chair over by said window; light up and actually savor a Graycliff or a Gurkha or an Arganese or a bonafide dog turd, if I so choose, rather than shivering, shaking and huffing down as quickly as possible what was described as a "Medium-bodied" stick that is, in actuality, a far, far beyond full-bodied monster that has my head simultaneously roaring, spasming, seeing green in my peripheral vision and wishing I'd eaten a LOT more for dinner. (True story that happened not once, not twice, but THREE times!!

From what I've read, here and on other forums/boards, all has confirmed what my guy at cigar.com told me, "The day after is the worst." What I haven't found is details as to what does, or even doesn't, work. I saw a response to the effect of, "I've found the spray works better than candles." Which spray? No mention made above or below. I'm not guessing Febreeze. I've seen ads for dozens of sprays but again no specifics which makes the ads worse than useless.

I've read enough "studies" to draw the conclusion that burning one thing to cover up the smell of burning something else is pretty much a fool's errand. As I mentioned, I simply want a simple, reasonably cheap way to not freeze parts of me which I soon will greatly miss while enjoying what has become the favorite part of my day. Please help me accomplish this little goal of mine.

Thank you all infinitely!! Nice community you got here!
M_D
Old 11-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #22
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly_Dog View Post
Hi all! Man!! I feel like I have embarked on a quest to find the meaning of life. All I want to do is find a reasonably inexpensive and simple way to minimize the odor from having an occasional cigar inside the backroom/patio of our Cape Cod-style home in which I live with my wife (a life-long non-smoker) and my mother-in-law (ditto with asthma on top).

I've done pretty well sticking to my guns of only smoking outside but we live in Buffalo, NY, (technically, Sloan) where the winters are pretty brutal. Supposed to be in the 20s tonight, I hear & I ain't getting any younger, as they say. My mother-in-law has said to me many times, "Just go ahead and smoke inside. It's not going to hurt anything." But I can't just do that with a clear conscience. I was a rabidly neat cigarette smoker for ~30 years. Quit a 3-3.5 pack-a-day habit cold turkey 4 years ago. Picked up cigars 2 years ago. I love'em but it's nice to not get the shakes every 10 minutes I can't have one, y'know?

Anyway. Our room in question is off the main house. It's roughly 15x15 with 6' windows on two sides. It has a roughly 10' dropped ceiling--roughly 2200 cubic feet. My proposal is this:

When I want to actually enjoy a cigar, close the only door that leads into the kitchen; open one of the windows; turn a 4' tall pedestal fan on its lowest speed blowing out the window (enough to coerce the smoke outside without trying to warm all outdoors); roll my desk chair over by said window; light up and actually savor a Graycliff or a Gurkha or an Arganese or a bonafide dog turd, if I so choose, rather than shivering, shaking and huffing down as quickly as possible what was described as a "Medium-bodied" stick that is, in actuality, a far, far beyond full-bodied monster that has my head simultaneously roaring, spasming, seeing green in my peripheral vision and wishing I'd eaten a LOT more for dinner. (True story that happened not once, not twice, but THREE times!!

From what I've read, here and on other forums/boards, all has confirmed what my guy at cigar.com told me, "The day after is the worst." What I haven't found is details as to what does, or even doesn't, work. I saw a response to the effect of, "I've found the spray works better than candles." Which spray? No mention made above or below. I'm not guessing Febreeze. I've seen ads for dozens of sprays but again no specifics which makes the ads worse than useless.

I've read enough "studies" to draw the conclusion that burning one thing to cover up the smell of burning something else is pretty much a fool's errand. As I mentioned, I simply want a simple, reasonably cheap way to not freeze parts of me which I soon will greatly miss while enjoying what has become the favorite part of my day. Please help me accomplish this little goal of mine.

Thank you all infinitely!! Nice community you got here!
M_D
Nice community?
How much have you explored?

Spam much?

Last edited by pnoon; 11-03-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #23
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
What I haven't found is details as to what does, or even doesn't, work. I saw a response to the effect of, "I've found the spray works better than candles." Which spray? No mention made above or below. I'm not guessing Febreeze. I've seen ads for dozens of sprays but again no specifics which makes the ads worse than useless.
I've had good results with Ozium spray.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #24
pnoon
YNWA

RA

No patience for BS tonight.
My money is on spam.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #25
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
No patience for BS tonight.
My money is on spam.

Eeewwww
Old 11-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #26
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
AirForce (Active)
JohnRogers is on a distinguished road

Really? I thought a well reasoned question by a first time poster. I think my issue is more an exhaust fan garage thing. I'm not trying to cover up smoke but remove it from the garage.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #27
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've done pretty well sticking to my guns of only smoking outside but we live in Buffalo, NY, (technically, Sloan) where the winters are pretty brutal. Supposed to be in the 20s tonight, I hear & I ain't getting any younger, as they say.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/buf...orecast/349726

Wind Chill of 24 there tonight... seems legit to me?

I guess I just don't really see any problem with a first time poster that isn't trying to sell anything???
Old 11-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #28
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Old 11-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #29
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

Lock it up Peter - this one's done
Old 11-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #30
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I could not detect the SPAM anywhere. I COULD detect a lot of WTF though.
Cape Cod house PLUS dimensions?? Maybe that makes a difference on how much
candle you need.

Just don't ban him, I see a real protege' for myself when I can no longer type out
4 paragraphs of BS in a sitting.
Closed Thread